|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Kenneth Babbs introduce to the new Kesey colony?
(c) Fine cuisine
(d) Asian novels
2. As the conference progresses, what becomes more interesting to Kesey?
(a) The need for religion in his life
(b) The phenomenon of Control
(c) The sacraments
(d) The older Unitarians
3. Where was Kesey born and raised?
(a) No one really knows and he won't tell.
(b) In Portland, Oregon
(c) In La Honda, California
(d) La Junta, Colorado. Raised in Springfield, Oregon.
4. What does MDT stand for?
(a) Most Delightful Trip
(b) Make Doughnuts Today
(c) My Day Tripper
(d) Most Disgusting Trip
5. Kesey enters Perry Lane initially as a writer but eventually becomes what?
(a) A volunteer at a shelter for battered women
(b) A volunteer in a research study on the effects of psyhoactive drugs.
(c) A student nurse
(d) A volunteer in a maternity ward
6. What is the name that Kesey gives his group?
(a) The Merry Pranksters
(b) The Jolly Pranksters
(c) The Merry Politicians
(d) The Leary Wannabes
7. What literary form opens this chapter?
(a) A Walter Cronkite comment
(b) A bible verse
(c) The lyrics of a Jimi Hendrix song
(d) A poem
8. Kesey, while working as a night attendant in psych ward writes what famous novel?
(a) What to Expect when You're Expecting
(b) One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
(c) The Assassin
9. Freewheeling Frank is a:
(a) Car mechanic
(b) Hell's Angel
(c) World War II vet
(d) Motorcycle mechanic
10. What are some of the regular features of life at La Honda?
(a) Day Glo paint on everything, Friday night dinners
(b) Yoga classes three times a week to stay healthy
(c) Arm wrestling on Wednesdays
(d) LSD-laced prayer sessions at sunrise
11. How do Kesey and his crew travel?
(a) In a station wagon
(b) In a group of motorcycles
(c) In an RV
(d) In a wildly painted 1939 international Harvester school bus
12. Does Kesey get to meet Leary?
(a) They pass each other in the hallway but can't talk
(b) In a spiritual way, yes
(c) Yes, and they get along well
13. What does Norman Hartweg want to do with the Pranksters' film?
(a) Send it to Norman Polanski to make a film
(b) Keep it in a safe place for them
(c) Edit it and write about it
(d) Burn it so that it can't be used as evidence in a trial
14. What happens to Sandy in this part of the story?
(a) He starts his own academic study of LSD at Columbia University
(b) He stops taking LSD and decides he wants to leave
(c) He loses control of himself, makes a scene and has to leave the group
(d) He defects to the Leary group
15. Who is most likely to understand Kesey and the Merry Pranksters?
(a) Martin Luther King, Jr. and the Civil Rights Movement
(b) Mick Jagger and the rest of the Rolling Stones
(c) Timothy Leary and his League for Spiritual Discovery
(d) John F. Kennedy and his wife Jacqueline
Short Answer Questions
1. Who do the Pranksters invite to La Honda?
2. How does Zonker save himself in the water when he's surrounded by suspicious black men?
3. Who is Gary Goldhill?
4. What has the Vietnam vet Babbs written and shown to Wolfe?
5. What does Wolfe compare Kesey and the Pranksters to?
This section contains 596 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)