|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Babbs place his writing in the warehouse?
(a) In Kesey's belongings
(b) In the closet
(c) Under a bed
(d) In a box in the middle of the floor.
2. Why does Kesey decide to leave Millbrook?
(a) He gets a cool reception and finds he has little in common with the Leary Group
(b) There's no parking space for the bus
(c) He misses California and feels homesick
(d) He doesn't like the climate
3. After doing a lot of talking, Kesey emerges from the bus with what on his face?
(a) Day Glo paint
(b) Women's makeup
(c) The sign of the cross over his forehead
(d) A huge swath of adhesive tape over his mouth
4. What do the Pranksters do ahead of the arrival of the police?
(a) They change their appearance completely
(b) They burn the house down
(c) They empty the house and flee into the woods
(d) They put up large signs that mock the police to let them know they're coming
5. Where have Kesey and the Pranksters moved to?
(a) Santa Barbara, California
(b) Seattle, Washington
(c) La Jolla, California
(d) La Honda, California
6. What do the Pranksters believe about people living the "straight" life?
(a) They are involved in games and not conscious of them
(b) They play high-tech games that they don't understand
(c) They pretend they are smart and they are not
(d) They are good people but not interesting
7. What does Wolfe compare Kesey and the Pranksters to?
(a) An anchorman and his reporters
(b) A lead singer and his band
(c) A CEO and his staff
(d) A religious leader and his followers
8. What happens to Sandy after taking Unauthorized Acid?
(a) He thinks it should be the official dosage
(b) It has no effect on him
(c) He salutes everyone he meets
(d) He goes on a really bad acid trip
9. Kesey enters Perry Lane initially as a writer but eventually becomes what?
(a) A volunteer in a maternity ward
(b) A student nurse
(c) A volunteer in a research study on the effects of psyhoactive drugs.
(d) A volunteer at a shelter for battered women
10. What does Kenneth Babbs introduce to the new Kesey colony?
(b) Fine cuisine
(d) Asian novels
11. Freewheeling Frank is a:
(a) Motorcycle mechanic
(b) World War II vet
(c) Car mechanic
(d) Hell's Angel
12. What are some of the regular features of life at La Honda?
(a) Arm wrestling on Wednesdays
(b) Day Glo paint on everything, Friday night dinners
(c) Yoga classes three times a week to stay healthy
(d) LSD-laced prayer sessions at sunrise
13. What route do the Pranksters take back to California?
(a) They go through Canada before re-entering the U.S. through Washington
(b) The northern route
(c) The midwestern route
(d) The same one they took to the east coast
14. Who is most likely to understand Kesey and the Merry Pranksters?
(a) Martin Luther King, Jr. and the Civil Rights Movement
(b) Mick Jagger and the rest of the Rolling Stones
(c) John F. Kennedy and his wife Jacqueline
(d) Timothy Leary and his League for Spiritual Discovery
15. What does Wolfe find distracting about Hassler?
(a) He is completely silent
(b) He twitches his eyes constantly without a reason
(c) He's incredibly handsome
(d) His plastic toothbrush case in his shirt pocket
Short Answer Questions
1. Kesey, while working as a night attendant in psych ward writes what famous novel?
2. What is the difference between the drug culture of the early '60s and the late '60s?
3. What is "Tootling the Multitudes?"
4. When Wolfe enters the Warehouse, he mentions a banner that says:
5. What is Ken Kesey's profession?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)