|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Does Kesey believe that experiencing things in the present is really possible?
(a) He's still unsure because the drugs haven't kicked in
(b) Absolutely. He thinks he's living proof of living in the present
(c) He doesn't really care so long as he's having a good time
(d) No, because our senses have a time lag
2. Through a long quote by Joachim Wach, how does the author describe Kesey and company?
(a) As a group that functions better than most families
(b) Interesting but he questions why he's writing a book about them
(c) As a group that has, for the most part, broken away from mainstream society
(d) Insufferable and stupid
3. What route do the Pranksters take back to California?
(a) The northern route
(b) They go through Canada before re-entering the U.S. through Washington
(c) The midwestern route
(d) The same one they took to the east coast
4. Freewheeling Frank is a:
(a) Car mechanic
(b) Motorcycle mechanic
(c) World War II vet
(d) Hell's Angel
5. When Kesey returns to the warehouse after a stay in jail, what does he say to Mountain Girl?
(a) Where are my pants?
(b) Where is everyone?
(c) Where's my shirt?
(d) I need a new lawyer
6. Where does Babbs place his writing in the warehouse?
(a) In Kesey's belongings
(b) Under a bed
(c) In the closet
(d) In a box in the middle of the floor.
7. Kesey says some people are good at understanding themselves but not:
(a) The government
(b) The Greater Whole
(c) Their pets
(d) Their parents
8. Kesey says he wants everyone to do their thing and be Pranksters, but he also wants them to be:
9. Where do the Merry Pranksters live?
(a) In a factory
(b) In a Victorian style house
(c) In a warehouse
(d) In a townhouse
10. What do Kesey and his cohorts wear?
(a) Overalls with pieces of the American flag sewn into them
(b) Colorful aprons
(c) White painter's overalls
(d) Black overalls
11. What happens to Sandy in this part of the story?
(a) He stops taking LSD and decides he wants to leave
(b) He starts his own academic study of LSD at Columbia University
(c) He loses control of himself, makes a scene and has to leave the group
(d) He defects to the Leary group
12. What is a rule that Kesey establishes for travel?
(a) That there are no rules
(b) That if someone is angry, just ignore them
(c) Nobody's allowed to say what they really mean
(d) Nobody's allowed to get angry with anyone else no matter what
13. What is the cause of Sandy's disturbing hallucinations?
(a) DMT, which he took at Millbrook
(b) Some cheap LSD he bought in New York
(c) Thoughts of the DMZ in Korea
(d) The LSD that the Learyites used
14. What famous literary figures show up at the Pranksters' party in New York?
(a) John le Carre and Joseph Heller
(b) Ernest Hemingway and F. Scott Fitzgerald
(c) Alexandre Dumas and Charles Dickens
(d) Jack Kerouac and Allen Ginsberg
15. Where have Kesey and the Pranksters moved to?
(a) Seattle, Washington
(b) Santa Barbara, California
(c) La Honda, California
(d) La Jolla, California
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kesey discover at Stanford that changes the course of his life?
2. What drink is in the bus fridge and laced with LSD?
3. Does the Pranksters' way of life strike the author as odd?
4. Who is most likely to understand Kesey and the Merry Pranksters?
5. What is Wolfe's reaction to Babb's writing?
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)