|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when the Pranksters arrive at the seven-day Unitarian Conference?
(a) They offend the older Unitarians and intrigue the younger ones.
(b) They are popular with everyone
(c) They offend everyone
(d) They discover they like organized religion
2. What style of writing does Wolfe describe he's using in telling this story?
(a) Hysterical Realism
(b) Magical Realism
(c) Hysterical Journalism
(d) Simple prose
3. When Kesey returns to SF from jail, what does he see and describes to Wolfe?
(a) He sees a city that looks more and more like Los Angeles
(b) He sees a city flourishing with life and wealth
(c) He describes how San Francisco has slipped into sleaze and poverty
(d) He sees a city that looks like New York
4. What does Wolfe compare Kesey and the Pranksters to?
(a) A religious leader and his followers
(b) A CEO and his staff
(c) An anchorman and his reporters
(d) A lead singer and his band
5. What is "Tootling the Multitudes?"
(a) Telling the common folk that they were pretty cool
(b) To play people like they were music
(c) Singing Broadway songs to people who can't afford show tickets
(d) Serenading unsuspecting women
6. What has the Vietnam vet Babbs written and shown to Wolfe?
(a) A gun
(b) A picture of a Vietnamese war prison
(c) A novel
(d) A letter from John McCain
7. After doing a lot of talking, Kesey emerges from the bus with what on his face?
(a) Women's makeup
(b) Day Glo paint
(c) A huge swath of adhesive tape over his mouth
(d) The sign of the cross over his forehead
8. What literary form opens this chapter?
(a) A bible verse
(b) The lyrics of a Jimi Hendrix song
(c) A Walter Cronkite comment
(d) A poem
9. What do the Pransters call Kesey?
(b) His holiness
10. What does Goldhill urge Kesey to stop telling people?
(a) That they should cease use of LSD
(b) That LSD isn't good for kids
(c) That legislation is needed to prohibit LSD
(d) That he's actually Timothy Leary
11. Why does Kesey annoy many of the people who visit La Honda?
(a) He is very controlling
(b) He never says anything, just lets things happen
(c) He never turns the heat on
(d) He never has anything for them to eat
12. How does Mountain Girl change as she spends more time as a Prankster?
(a) She becomes less interested in expressing herself and eventually becomes mute
(b) Yes. Mountain Girl, for example, loses weight, becomes very beautiful, and gains confidence expressing herself
(c) She gains a lot of weight, has trouble walking and sleeping
(d) She reads more books and writes a few novels
13. What kind of shoes do the Pranksters hate the most?
(a) High-heeled shoes
(b) Black Shiny Shoes
(c) Unshined shoes
(d) Black Matte Shoes
14. What is the difference between the drug culture of the early '60s and the late '60s?
(a) The late '60s drug culture included electricity
(b) The early '60s drug culture was attached to civil rights
(c) There was no early '60s drug culture
(d) There was no difference
15. Where does Babbs place his writing in the warehouse?
(a) In a box in the middle of the floor.
(b) In Kesey's belongings
(c) Under a bed
(d) In the closet
Short Answer Questions
1. How was Kesey's novel received?
2. What do the Pranksters introduce to the Angels?
3. What happens to Sandy after taking Unauthorized Acid?
4. Kesey says he wants everyone to do their thing and be Pranksters, but he also wants them to be:
5. What is Unauthorized Acid?
This section contains 633 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)