|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Kesey want to document the road trip?
(a) He wants to capture the amazing things that will happen while on drugs
(b) He wants evidence in case he has to go to court someday
(c) He worries that his memory is fading
(d) He wants to become a filmmaker
2. What happens to the Pranksters when they first take the bus on a test run?
(a) They get stopped by a trooper but aren't ticketed
(b) It breaks down and they can't fix it
(c) They drive it to Canada and realize Canada's a nice place
(d) They decide it's better to drive an RV
3. What keeps the Pranksters together?
(c) Belief in the health insurance systems
(d) Ken Kesey, drug use, and common beliefs about society
4. Do the the Merry Pranksters invite or include all LSD users?
(b) Yes, but only on Saturdays
(c) Of course
(d) It's hard to say because they have no rules
5. Who were the main figures on Perry Lane?
(a) Jack Kerouac and Allen Ginsberg
(b) Robin Givens and Gwen Stefani, entertainers
(c) Robin White and Gwen Davis, novelists
(d) Robert Redford and Paul Newman
6. What does Wolfe compare to the Pranksters?
(a) The Federal government
(b) A massive psychological encounter group
(c) The Army
(d) A polygamist cult
7. Kesey says he wants everyone to do their thing and be Pranksters, but he also wants them to be:
8. Describe some of the young women who join the Pranksters on the bus.
(a) They wear baggy clothing and refuse to wear makeup
(b) They wear nice suits and wear no makeup
(c) They wear little clothing and paint themselves in Day-Glo
(d) They sit still on the bus and never move unless told
9. What do the Pranksters believe about people living the "straight" life?
(a) They pretend they are smart and they are not
(b) They are good people but not interesting
(c) They are involved in games and not conscious of them
(d) They play high-tech games that they don't understand
10. What are some of the regular features of life at La Honda?
(a) Day Glo paint on everything, Friday night dinners
(b) Arm wrestling on Wednesdays
(c) Yoga classes three times a week to stay healthy
(d) LSD-laced prayer sessions at sunrise
11. What is a rule that Kesey establishes for travel?
(a) That if someone is angry, just ignore them
(b) Nobody's allowed to get angry with anyone else no matter what
(c) That there are no rules
(d) Nobody's allowed to say what they really mean
12. What is the cause of Sandy's disturbing hallucinations?
(a) Thoughts of the DMZ in Korea
(b) DMT, which he took at Millbrook
(c) The LSD that the Learyites used
(d) Some cheap LSD he bought in New York
13. What do the Pransters call Kesey?
(c) His holiness
14. Do Kesey and the crew talk much about the experience on the bus?
(a) Only to Tom Wolfe but off-record
(b) Yes, all the time
(d) Only off-camera so no one knows what they're saying
15. Who is most likely to understand Kesey and the Merry Pranksters?
(a) Martin Luther King, Jr. and the Civil Rights Movement
(b) Mick Jagger and the rest of the Rolling Stones
(c) John F. Kennedy and his wife Jacqueline
(d) Timothy Leary and his League for Spiritual Discovery
Short Answer Questions
1. What style of writing does Wolfe describe he's using in telling this story?
2. Through a long quote by Joachim Wach, how does the author describe Kesey and company?
3. What does Wolfe compare Kesey and the Pranksters to?
4. What drew the Hell's Angels to the Kesey?
5. How does Mountain Girl change as she spends more time as a Prankster?
This section contains 703 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)