|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Zonker save himself in the water when he's surrounded by suspicious black men?
(a) He smiles a long drug-induced smile that wins them over
(b) He offers to give them all rides home
(c) He offers them free drugs
(d) He swims quickly to shore without saying a thing
2. What literary form opens this chapter?
(a) The lyrics of a Jimi Hendrix song
(b) A Walter Cronkite comment
(c) A poem
(d) A bible verse
3. What does Cassady do when driving over the Blue Ridge Mountains?
(a) He doesn't use the brakes
(b) He sings opera very loudly
(c) He doesn't put his hands on the wheel
(d) He doesn't use the lights
4. What style of writing does Wolfe describe he's using in telling this story?
(a) Simple prose
(b) Magical Realism
(c) Hysterical Realism
(d) Hysterical Journalism
5. Where does Kesey go to do graduate work?
6. Who do the Pranksters invite to La Honda?
(a) The Leary group
(b) Angelic Children
(d) Forty Hell's Angels
7. What does Wolfe compare Kesey and the Pranksters to?
(a) A religious leader and his followers
(b) A lead singer and his band
(c) An anchorman and his reporters
(d) A CEO and his staff
8. Where do the Merry Pranksters live?
(a) In a townhouse
(b) In a warehouse
(c) In a Victorian style house
(d) In a factory
9. Do the the Merry Pranksters invite or include all LSD users?
(a) It's hard to say because they have no rules
(c) Of course
(d) Yes, but only on Saturdays
10. What kind of shoes do the Pranksters hate the most?
(a) Black Shiny Shoes
(b) Unshined shoes
(c) Black Matte Shoes
(d) High-heeled shoes
11. What happens when the Pranksters arrive at the seven-day Unitarian Conference?
(a) They offend everyone
(b) They are popular with everyone
(c) They discover they like organized religion
(d) They offend the older Unitarians and intrigue the younger ones.
12. What famous actress does Doris Delay resemble?
(a) Doris Roberts
(b) Doris Day
(c) Delores Johnson
(d) Dorothy Dandridge
13. What is the difference between the drug culture of the early '60s and the late '60s?
(a) The late '60s drug culture included electricity
(b) There was no early '60s drug culture
(c) The early '60s drug culture was attached to civil rights
(d) There was no difference
14. Why does Kesey decide to leave Millbrook?
(a) He misses California and feels homesick
(b) There's no parking space for the bus
(c) He gets a cool reception and finds he has little in common with the Leary Group
(d) He doesn't like the climate
15. What is the cause of Sandy's disturbing hallucinations?
(a) The LSD that the Learyites used
(b) DMT, which he took at Millbrook
(c) Thoughts of the DMZ in Korea
(d) Some cheap LSD he bought in New York
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the young women at the conference react to Kesey?
2. Kesey, while working as a night attendant in psych ward writes what famous novel?
3. According to Wolfe, what do the La Honda citizens call the Kesey colony?
4. How does Mountain Girl change as she spends more time as a Prankster?
5. Kesey says some people are good at understanding themselves but not:
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)