|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following characters is identified in this section as the Black Queen of the more current times?
2. Where did the Abbess keep the cloth from the service?
3. What does Catherine use as a weapon in her attempt to rescue Lily?
4. Why did Mireille return to Algiers before heading to England?
5. What small gift does Catherine present to El-Marad's daughter when they arrive at his house?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was the Bishop reduced to selling land to French immigrants for the four years that he has been living in America?
2. What prophecy does Charlot offer to Napoleon?
3. What does Minnie tell Catherine that she was chosen to be and what realization about herself does Catherine come to?
4. What events happen with the Bishop in London and what does she bring him?
5. What alternative plan does Solarin offer once it is obvious that the storm has blown the ship significantly off course?
6. What was the formula in the service for and what does it allow to happen according to Newton?
7. What information does Kamel share with Catherine about El-Marad, the man she is looking for?
8. What happens to change Mireille's plans to kill Marat and how do they change?
9. What do Catherine, Lily and Solarin agree is the only way to test their theory about the formula?
10. What is Paul's plan now that Catherine the Great has died?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on the author's purpose for including quotes and titles at the beginning of each section of the book? What do they offer?
Essay Topic 2
Of what significance is April 4th and how does the author develop the idea of this date throughout the novel? What things (people and events) does it represent a spiritually convergent date for? What and how does this foreshadow?
Essay Topic 3
At what point in the novel does the author appear to make the shift from subconscious, spiritual destiny to outward, physical reality? Why do you think the author makes this shift? Do you believe the shift is successful? Why or why not?
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)