|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Catherine tell El-Marad?
2. What do Catherine, Lily and Solarin decide is the only way to test their theory?
3. Which of the following characters claimed to have decoded the formula in the service?
4. What small gift does Catherine present to El-Marad's daughter when they arrive at his house?
5. What does Mireille name the falcon that she captures and trains to hunt for her and her guide as they travel across Algeria?
Essay Topic 1
Of what significance is April 4th and how does the author develop the idea of this date throughout the novel? What things (people and events) does it represent a spiritually convergent date for? What and how does this foreshadow?
Essay Topic 2
At the beginning of the novel. the character of Catherine asks the rhetorical question as to what might happen if America should lose control of the world's oil supply. Toward the middle of the novel this rhetorical question is given real meaning. Why do you think the author included this line of thinking? Is it part of the puzzle? If so, in what way?
Essay Topic 3
At what point in the novel does the author appear to make the shift from subconscious, spiritual destiny to outward, physical reality? Why do you think the author makes this shift? Do you believe the shift is successful? Why or why not?
This section contains 874 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)