|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who promises the Bishop safety and prosperity if he returns to France?
2. What happened to the king after the end of the lunar and solar calendars cycle back to their starting points?
3. What does Minnie tell Lily and Catherine the white side wants to create with the information contained in the Montglane Service?
4. How did Catherine, Lily and Solarin get to see Robespierre's diagram?
5. How do Catherine, Lily and the dog escape from the bar and Sharrif?
Short Essay Questions
1. What alternative plan does Solarin offer once it is obvious that the storm has blown the ship significantly off course?
2. What connection does Lily explain to Catherine about the ax and chess?
3. What does Mireille tell David is the only thing that can both destroy the power of the revolution and rebuild France?
4. Where was Lily surprised to find at least two pieces of the service?
5. What information related to the Montglane service does Mireille learn when she confronts Philidor, Blake and Wordsworth?
6. What does Mireille see when she arrives at the hidden valley and what happens when she arrives there?
7. What does Minnie tell Catherine that she was chosen to be and what realization about herself does Catherine come to?
8. What information does Kamel share with Catherine about El-Marad, the man she is looking for?
9. What is Paul's plan now that Catherine the Great has died?
10. What does Catherine recall about the time when the lunar and solar calendars cycle back to return to their starting points?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What quests share similar characteristics and have similar stories? In what ways are they similar? Use specific examples from the novel to support your suppositions.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, the the author incorporates real-life historical figures into the novel's fictionalized plot. Describe why the author might have chosen this technique. Do you believe it is effective? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
One of the themes within this novel is one of revenge. How is this theme first developed? By which character? Do you believe this is an appropriate theme to include in this novel? Why or why not?
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)