|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Catherine and Solarin agree to rendezvous with Mordecai and Lily?
2. Which of the following characters is identified as the Black Queen?
3. How many pieces of the service does the Bishop have as he leaves England?
4. What is Solarin's relationship with Minnie?
5. Who does Minnie tell Catherine has nine other pieces?
Short Essay Questions
1. What has the Abbess concealed in her room and how does Catherine react to it when the Abbess reveals it to her?
2. What information does Charlot share with Mireille and what sacrifice does Charlot make for Mireille?
3. What does Minnie tell Catherine that she was chosen to be and what realization about herself does Catherine come to?
4. What does Minnie reveal to Catherine and Lily about where the service is hidden and what does she provide them to help them collect them?
5. What is the secret message that El-Marad gives to Catherine and for whom is that secret message intended?
6. What information does Kamel share with Catherine about El-Marad, the man she is looking for?
7. Where is Lily and how do Catherine and Kamel save her?
8. What information related to the Montglane service does Mireille learn when she confronts Philidor, Blake and Wordsworth?
9. What is Paul's plan now that Catherine the Great has died?
10. What does Mireille see when she arrives at the hidden valley and what happens when she arrives there?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the author use the technical writing technique having one character reveal information to another? Does the author use it effectively? How? If not, how could she have done it better?
Essay Topic 2
Of what significance is April 4th and how does the author develop the idea of this date throughout the novel? What things (people and events) does it represent a spiritually convergent date for? What and how does this foreshadow?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about the theme of destiny as it is explored throughout the novel. Is this theme realistic? Why or why not? Do you believe that humanity cannot escape what is ordained for them? Why or why not?
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)