|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Catherine tell El-Marad?
2. What do Catherine, Lily and Solarin decide is the only way to test their theory?
3. Which of the following characters claimed to have decoded the formula in the service?
4. What small gift does Catherine present to El-Marad's daughter when they arrive at his house?
5. What does Mireille name the falcon that she captures and trains to hunt for her and her guide as they travel across Algeria?
Essay Topic 1
One of the key themes of this novel is the theme of eternally present interrelationships. How is this theme developed? What are some of the examples of universal interrelationships explored? What are some of the guises the author uses to manifest these relationships?
Essay Topic 2
How does the author use the technical writing technique having one character reveal information to another? Does the author use it effectively? How? If not, how could she have done it better?
Essay Topic 3
At what point in the novel does the author appear to make the shift from subconscious, spiritual destiny to outward, physical reality? Why do you think the author makes this shift? Do you believe the shift is successful? Why or why not?
This section contains 874 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)