|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who promises the Bishop safety and prosperity if he returns to France?
2. Who does Marat tell Mireille is the white queen?
3. How long has the Bishop been in America at the beginning of this section?
4. Who does Catherine contact first once she and Lily reach the city of Oran?
5. What does Mireille want the Bishop to do to gain control of the White Queen's pieces?
Short Essay Questions
1. What alternative plan does Solarin offer once it is obvious that the storm has blown the ship significantly off course?
2. What happens to change Mireille's plans to kill Marat and how do they change?
3. What has the Abbess concealed in her room and how does Catherine react to it when the Abbess reveals it to her?
4. What is the secret message that El-Marad gives to Catherine and for whom is that secret message intended?
5. What does Mireille see when she arrives at the hidden valley and what happens when she arrives there?
6. How many pieces have been located by Catherine and her friends and where are they located?
7. Where is Lily and how do Catherine and Kamel save her?
8. Why does the Bishop protest Mireille's suggestion that he must marry the White Queen to help end the game?
9. What does Mireille tell David is the only thing that can both destroy the power of the revolution and rebuild France?
10. What does Catherine recall about the time when the lunar and solar calendars cycle back to return to their starting points?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about the theme of destiny as it is explored throughout the novel. Is this theme realistic? Why or why not? Do you believe that humanity cannot escape what is ordained for them? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, the the author incorporates real-life historical figures into the novel's fictionalized plot. Describe why the author might have chosen this technique. Do you believe it is effective? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Of what significance is April 4th and how does the author develop the idea of this date throughout the novel? What things (people and events) does it represent a spiritually convergent date for? What and how does this foreshadow?
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)