|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to the king after the end of the lunar and solar calendars cycle back to their starting points?
2. Why is Kamel driving Catherine through the mountains of Algeria?
3. How does Mireille disguise herself so that she can return to Paris as the Abbess ordered?
4. Who does Marat tell Mireille is the white queen?
5. What does Robespierre say is another name for the White Queen?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Catherine, Lily and Solarin agree is the only way to test their theory about the formula?
2. What alternative plan does Solarin offer once it is obvious that the storm has blown the ship significantly off course?
3. What was the formula in the service for and what does it allow to happen according to Newton?
4. What happens to change Mireille's plans to kill Marat and how do they change?
5. Where is Lily and how do Catherine and Kamel save her?
6. Where was Lily surprised to find at least two pieces of the service?
7. What has the Abbess concealed in her room and how does Catherine react to it when the Abbess reveals it to her?
8. What information does Charlot share with Mireille and what sacrifice does Charlot make for Mireille?
9. Where does Catherine swim ashore and how does she get past the patrolling soldier?
10. What prophecy does Charlot offer to Napoleon?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What quests share similar characteristics and have similar stories? In what ways are they similar? Use specific examples from the novel to support your suppositions.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the the ultimate revelation which is revealed in the book's final moments. How is it foreshadowed throughout the novel?
Essay Topic 3
One of the themes within this novel is one of revenge. How is this theme first developed? By which character? Do you believe this is an appropriate theme to include in this novel? Why or why not?
This section contains 663 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)