|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long has the Bishop been in America at the beginning of this section?
2. Who does Minnie tell Catherine has nine other pieces?
3. How many pieces of the service does the Bishop have as he leaves England?
4. Who does Marat assume will be able to get Mireille's pieces that she has shipped?
5. Which of the following is a dry reddish cake of material that when mixed with other elements could perform miracles of alchemy and heal all human illness?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the Bishop protest Mireille's suggestion that he must marry the White Queen to help end the game?
2. How many pieces have been located by Catherine and her friends and where are they located?
3. What information does Kamel share with Catherine about El-Marad, the man she is looking for?
4. What does Minnie tell Catherine that she was chosen to be and what realization about herself does Catherine come to?
5. What prophecy does Charlot offer to Napoleon?
6. What do Catherine, Lily and Solarin agree is the only way to test their theory about the formula?
7. What events happen with the Bishop in London and what does she bring him?
8. What is the secret message that El-Marad gives to Catherine and for whom is that secret message intended?
9. What is Paul's plan now that Catherine the Great has died?
10. Describe in detail how Catherine, Lily and Carioca make it out of the restaurant?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the key themes of this novel is the theme of eternally present interrelationships. How is this theme developed? What are some of the examples of universal interrelationships explored? What are some of the guises the author uses to manifest these relationships?
Essay Topic 2
Why do you believe Mordecai and Lily concealed their real relationship? What was their real relationship? Why would the author choose this path? Support your rationale with evidence.
Essay Topic 3
What two functions did the character Corday serve in the novel? Which function was a clever incorporation of fiction into fact? Evaluate the author's skill at accomplishing this task.
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)