|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Catherine contact first once she and Lily reach the city of Oran?
2. Why did Mireille return to Algiers before heading to England?
3. What "science" does Minnie indicate there is a relationship between all of the disciplines (previously discussed)?
4. How long is the time required for the lunar and solar calendars to cycle back and return to their starting points?
5. What does Catherine tell Lily science has discovered that everything (matter, light and sound) is held together by?
Essay Topic 1
One of the key themes of this novel is the theme of eternally present interrelationships. How is this theme developed? What are some of the examples of universal interrelationships explored? What are some of the guises the author uses to manifest these relationships?
Essay Topic 2
What quests share similar characteristics and have similar stories? In what ways are they similar? Use specific examples from the novel to support your suppositions.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about the theme of destiny as it is explored throughout the novel. Is this theme realistic? Why or why not? Do you believe that humanity cannot escape what is ordained for them? Why or why not?
This section contains 862 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)