|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What other person does Catherine learn has the same birthday as she?
2. Where is the Service's chessboard located?
3. How long do Catherine and Lily have to hike through the desert along the walking path?
4. Who suddenly and unexpectedly arrives at the conference and refers to Catherine as the one?
5. How many pieces of the service does the Bishop have as he leaves England?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where was Lily surprised to find at least two pieces of the service?
2. How many pieces have been located by Catherine and her friends and where are they located?
3. What prophecy does Charlot offer to Napoleon?
4. What is Paul's plan now that Catherine the Great has died?
5. Why does the Bishop protest Mireille's suggestion that he must marry the White Queen to help end the game?
6. What does Minnie tell Catherine that she was chosen to be and what realization about herself does Catherine come to?
7. What does Minnie reveal to Catherine and Lily about where the service is hidden and what does she provide them to help them collect them?
8. What information does Charlot share with Mireille and what sacrifice does Charlot make for Mireille?
9. What connection does Lily explain to Catherine about the ax and chess?
10. What happens to change Mireille's plans to kill Marat and how do they change?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the character, Solarin, as developed by the author. What two sides are there to this character? In what ways is the character being manipulated and in what ways does he manipulate others?
Essay Topic 2
Why do you believe Mordecai and Lily concealed their real relationship? What was their real relationship? Why would the author choose this path? Support your rationale with evidence.
Essay Topic 3
What techniques does the author use to develop the intrigue and mystery throughout the novel? Do you believe the author does so successfully? In what way is it successful or unsuccessful?
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)