|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Solarin's relationship with Minnie?
2. How long has the Bishop been in America at the beginning of this section?
3. What do Catherine and Lily see when they return to their car?
4. From where does Charlotte recognize the pattern from Robespierre's diagram?
5. What does Minnie give to Catherine and Lily?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At what point in the novel does the author appear to make the shift from subconscious, spiritual destiny to outward, physical reality? Why do you think the author makes this shift? Do you believe the shift is successful? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The author often intertwines fact and fiction throughout the novel. Write an essay describing two examples of this technique where factual information about historical characters is intertwined with fictional information created by the author. Does this technique have a possible thematic resonance? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
What techniques does the author use to develop the intrigue and mystery throughout the novel? Do you believe the author does so successfully? In what way is it successful or unsuccessful?
This section contains 836 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)