|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following characters helps Mireille get the Abbess out of her prison?
2. Where did the Abbess keep the cloth from the service?
3. What vow does the Bishop make to Mireille when they are reunited in London?
4. Where does Catherine come ashore?
5. What does Catherine use as a weapon in her attempt to rescue Lily?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Minnie reveal to Catherine and Lily about where the service is hidden and what does she provide them to help them collect them?
2. What is Paul's plan now that Catherine the Great has died?
3. What was the formula in the service for and what does it allow to happen according to Newton?
4. What alternative plan does Solarin offer once it is obvious that the storm has blown the ship significantly off course?
5. What happens when Catherine and Lily make it inside the restaurant and what are they challenged to?
6. What does Mireille see when she arrives at the hidden valley and what happens when she arrives there?
7. What events happen with the Bishop in London and what does she bring him?
8. Where does Catherine swim ashore and how does she get past the patrolling soldier?
9. Why does the Bishop protest Mireille's suggestion that he must marry the White Queen to help end the game?
10. Where is Lily and how do Catherine and Kamel save her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which events in the novel are most effective at being descriptive rather than puzzle making? Why do you believe these events were included? Do you believe there was enough description in this novel? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
What does the training of Mireille's falcon Charlot represent? In what way is it helpful? What does the falcon symbolize throughout the novel?
Essay Topic 3
What techniques does the author use to develop the intrigue and mystery throughout the novel? Do you believe the author does so successfully? In what way is it successful or unsuccessful?
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)