|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mokhfi's name mean in English?
2. Which of the following characters helps Mireille get the Abbess out of her prison?
3. What does Catherine use as a weapon in her attempt to rescue Lily?
4. Why does the Abbess refuse to sign the document that condemns the revolution?
5. In what state does the Bishop decide to bury pieces from the Montglane Service?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where was Lily surprised to find at least two pieces of the service?
2. What does Minnie tell Catherine that she was chosen to be and what realization about herself does Catherine come to?
3. What events happen with the Bishop in London and what does she bring him?
4. What information does Kamel share with Catherine about El-Marad, the man she is looking for?
5. Where does Catherine swim ashore and how does she get past the patrolling soldier?
6. What prophecy does Charlot offer to Napoleon?
7. What is Paul's plan now that Catherine the Great has died?
8. How many pieces have been located by Catherine and her friends and where are they located?
9. What do Catherine, Lily and Solarin agree is the only way to test their theory about the formula?
10. Where is Lily and how do Catherine and Kamel save her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe in detail how the author develops suspense throughout the novel? Do you believe the author does it well? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about the theme of destiny as it is explored throughout the novel. Is this theme realistic? Why or why not? Do you believe that humanity cannot escape what is ordained for them? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on the author's purpose for including quotes and titles at the beginning of each section of the book? What do they offer?
This section contains 629 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)