|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Marat tell Mireille is the white queen?
2. Which of the following characters is identified in this section as the Black Queen of the more current times?
3. What does Catherine use as a weapon in her attempt to rescue Lily?
4. What was another name for The White Queen?
5. What city of the past do Catherine and Lily supposedly drive through as they follow the route Minnie drove?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Paul's plan now that Catherine the Great has died?
2. What was the formula in the service for and what does it allow to happen according to Newton?
3. What happens to change Mireille's plans to kill Marat and how do they change?
4. Describe in detail how Catherine, Lily and Carioca make it out of the restaurant?
5. What do Catherine, Lily and Solarin agree is the only way to test their theory about the formula?
6. Why was the Bishop reduced to selling land to French immigrants for the four years that he has been living in America?
7. What has the Abbess concealed in her room and how does Catherine react to it when the Abbess reveals it to her?
8. Why does the Bishop protest Mireille's suggestion that he must marry the White Queen to help end the game?
9. What does Minnie tell Catherine that she was chosen to be and what realization about herself does Catherine come to?
10. What does Mireille see when she arrives at the hidden valley and what happens when she arrives there?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the the ultimate revelation which is revealed in the book's final moments. How is it foreshadowed throughout the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on the author's purpose for including quotes and titles at the beginning of each section of the book? What do they offer?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the character, Solarin, as developed by the author. What two sides are there to this character? In what ways is the character being manipulated and in what ways does he manipulate others?
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)