|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What other person does Catherine learn has the same birthday as she?
2. Where did the Abbess keep the cloth from the service?
3. What does Minnie give to Catherine and Lily?
4. Where is the Service's chessboard located?
5. Why does Mireille state in her diary that she refuses to leave Paris?
Short Essay Questions
1. What alternative plan does Solarin offer once it is obvious that the storm has blown the ship significantly off course?
2. What does Minnie reveal to Catherine and Lily about where the service is hidden and what does she provide them to help them collect them?
3. What does Catherine recall about the time when the lunar and solar calendars cycle back to return to their starting points?
4. What has the Abbess concealed in her room and how does Catherine react to it when the Abbess reveals it to her?
5. What happens to change Mireille's plans to kill Marat and how do they change?
6. What events happen with the Bishop in London and what does she bring him?
7. What was the formula in the service for and what does it allow to happen according to Newton?
8. What information does Kamel share with Catherine about El-Marad, the man she is looking for?
9. How many pieces have been located by Catherine and her friends and where are they located?
10. What information does Charlot share with Mireille and what sacrifice does Charlot make for Mireille?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the character, Solarin, as developed by the author. What two sides are there to this character? In what ways is the character being manipulated and in what ways does he manipulate others?
Essay Topic 2
At what point in the novel does the author appear to make the shift from subconscious, spiritual destiny to outward, physical reality? Why do you think the author makes this shift? Do you believe the shift is successful? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
What quests share similar characteristics and have similar stories? In what ways are they similar? Use specific examples from the novel to support your suppositions.
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)