|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the Service's chessboard located?
2. How does Mireille disguise herself so that she can return to Paris as the Abbess ordered?
3. Why did Mireille return to Algiers before heading to England?
4. How many pieces of the service does the Bishop have as he leaves England?
5. How does the Bishop describe England after he is told he is an enemy of the British people?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the core aspects of the character Catherine (the one in the 1970s). Include the key elements which make up her character as well as how her character is used to foreshadow the conclusion of the novel.
Essay Topic 2
One of the key themes of this novel is the theme of eternally present interrelationships. How is this theme developed? What are some of the examples of universal interrelationships explored? What are some of the guises the author uses to manifest these relationships?
Essay Topic 3
What techniques does the author use to develop the intrigue and mystery throughout the novel? Do you believe the author does so successfully? In what way is it successful or unsuccessful?
This section contains 853 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)