|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long do Catherine and Lily have to hike through the desert along the walking path?
2. What city of the past do Catherine and Lily supposedly drive through as they follow the route Minnie drove?
3. Which of the following is a dry reddish cake of material that when mixed with other elements could perform miracles of alchemy and heal all human illness?
4. What deduction do Catherine, Lily and Solarin come to about the placement of the pieces on the chess board?
5. Where does Catherine come ashore?
Essay Topic 1
How does the author use the technical writing technique having one character reveal information to another? Does the author use it effectively? How? If not, how could she have done it better?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, the the author incorporates real-life historical figures into the novel's fictionalized plot. Describe why the author might have chosen this technique. Do you believe it is effective? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the character, Solarin, as developed by the author. What two sides are there to this character? In what ways is the character being manipulated and in what ways does he manipulate others?
This section contains 875 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)