|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Shahin tell Mireille that he knows that she desires?
2. What does Lily call the move she uses to get out of her stuck position?
3. Which character is wounded during the storm?
4. What does Catherine tell Lily science has discovered that everything (matter, light and sound) is held together by?
5. What does Mireille name the falcon that she captures and trains to hunt for her and her guide as they travel across Algeria?
Short Essay Questions
1. What events happen with the Bishop in London and what does she bring him?
2. What does Mireille tell David is the only thing that can both destroy the power of the revolution and rebuild France?
3. What happens when Catherine and Lily make it inside the restaurant and what are they challenged to?
4. What happens to change Mireille's plans to kill Marat and how do they change?
5. Describe in detail how Catherine, Lily and Carioca make it out of the restaurant?
6. What information does Charlot share with Mireille and what sacrifice does Charlot make for Mireille?
7. What does Minnie tell Catherine that she was chosen to be and what realization about herself does Catherine come to?
8. Where does Catherine swim ashore and how does she get past the patrolling soldier?
9. What alternative plan does Solarin offer once it is obvious that the storm has blown the ship significantly off course?
10. Where is Lily and how do Catherine and Kamel save her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about the theme of destiny as it is explored throughout the novel. Is this theme realistic? Why or why not? Do you believe that humanity cannot escape what is ordained for them? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Of what significance is April 4th and how does the author develop the idea of this date throughout the novel? What things (people and events) does it represent a spiritually convergent date for? What and how does this foreshadow?
Essay Topic 3
One of the themes within this novel is one of revenge. How is this theme first developed? By which character? Do you believe this is an appropriate theme to include in this novel? Why or why not?
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)