Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long is Solarin given to complete his mission?
2. Who throws the farewell party for Catherine?
3. How does Germaine convince Camille that she must be spared the trials and executions?
4. What does the Abbess do with the pieces of the chess set?
5. What year is it when the novel opens?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Valentine and Mireille leave their place of safety to meet Sister Claude and what happens when they get to the appointed meeting place?
2. What is the meaning of the title, "Pawn to Queen's Fourth", of this section of the novel and where is the title described?
3. Why does the Bishop believe it is ironic that the Abbess has gone to Russia and removed the Service from the Abbey?
4. Why does the Bishop protest Mireille's suggestion that he must marry the White Queen to help end the game?
5. Describe in detail how Catherine, Lily and Carioca make it out of the restaurant?
6. What is the secret message that El-Marad gives to Catherine and for whom is that secret message intended?
7. What has the Abbess concealed in her room and how does Catherine react to it when the Abbess reveals it to her?
8. What story does the Bishop tell Mireille and Valentine after the opera when they spend the night at his home?
9. Why does Catherine Velis believe that she is being sent to Algeria by her accounting firm?
10. What are Valentine and Mireille doing when they are disturbed by a handsome man and who is this man?
Describe the character, Solarin, as developed by the author. What two sides are there to this character? In what ways is the character being manipulated and in what ways does he manipulate others?
At what point in the novel does the author appear to make the shift from subconscious, spiritual destiny to outward, physical reality? Why do you think the author makes this shift? Do you believe the shift is successful? Why or why not?
One of the themes within this novel is one of revenge. How is this theme first developed? By which character? Do you believe this is an appropriate theme to include in this novel? Why or why not?
This section contains 799 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)