Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long is Solarin given to complete his mission?
2. Who throws the farewell party for Catherine?
3. How does Germaine convince Camille that she must be spared the trials and executions?
4. What does the Abbess do with the pieces of the chess set?
5. What year is it when the novel opens?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Valentine and Mireille leave their place of safety to meet Sister Claude and what happens when they get to the appointed meeting place?
2. What is the meaning of the title, "Pawn to Queen's Fourth", of this section of the novel and where is the title described?
3. Why does the Bishop believe it is ironic that the Abbess has gone to Russia and removed the Service from the Abbey?
4. Why does the Bishop protest Mireille's suggestion that he must marry the White Queen to help end the game?
5. Describe in detail how Catherine, Lily and Carioca make it out of the restaurant?
6. What is the secret message that El-Marad gives to Catherine and for whom is that secret message intended?
7. What has the Abbess concealed in her room and how does Catherine react to it when the Abbess reveals it to her?
8. What story does the Bishop tell Mireille and Valentine after the opera when they spend the night at his home?
9. Why does Catherine Velis believe that she is being sent to Algeria by her accounting firm?
10. What are Valentine and Mireille doing when they are disturbed by a handsome man and who is this man?
What two functions did the character Corday serve in the novel? Which function was a clever incorporation of fiction into fact? Evaluate the author's skill at accomplishing this task.
The author often intertwines fact and fiction throughout the novel. Write an essay describing two examples of this technique where factual information about historical characters is intertwined with fictional information created by the author. Does this technique have a possible thematic resonance? Why or why not?
Describe the core aspects of the character Catherine (the one in the 1970s). Include the key elements which make up her character as well as how her character is used to foreshadow the conclusion of the novel.
This section contains 799 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)