|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Abbess do with the pieces of the chess set?
2. Where does Valentine tell the Bishop the Abbess went?
3. When is Catherine's birthday?
4. What signals that it is time to stop working and return to the convent for the nuns?
5. Which of the following is one of the secret messages decoded by Nim and Catherine from the fortuneteller's words?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Catherine find as she gets ready for bed after leaving a message for Nim on his private line?
2. What does the Abbess show to Catherine the Great? What does Catherine want with it? How does Catherine react?
3. What is Dr. Nim's explanation for the coincidence of the man lurking outside on the bicycle and in the painting ?
4. Why does the Bishop believe it is ironic that the Abbess has gone to Russia and removed the Service from the Abbey?
5. What is the treasure of the Abbey which the Abbess and nuns vow cannot fall into the hands of the Bishop of Autun?
6. What is the meaning of the title, "Pawn to Queen's Fourth", of this section of the novel and where is the title described?
7. How does the Abbess make it impossible for any one person to reveal the details of her plan to ensure the safety of the pieces of the chess set?
8. What are Valentine and Mireille doing when they are disturbed by a handsome man and who is this man?
9. What steps does Catherine take on her own once she and Lily split up to complete research?
10. What surprise does Mireille find out about herself on the journey to Corsica?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about the theme of destiny as it is explored throughout the novel. Is this theme realistic? Why or why not? Do you believe that humanity cannot escape what is ordained for them? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
What does the training of Mireille's falcon Charlot represent? In what way is it helpful? What does the falcon symbolize throughout the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the character, Solarin, as developed by the author. What two sides are there to this character? In what ways is the character being manipulated and in what ways does he manipulate others?
This section contains 812 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)