|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the father of Mireille's child?
2. What does Catherine believe the Freemasons to be?
3. Where does the Bishop plan to take Mireille for refuge?
4. Why does Harry become upset at the thought of Catherine going to Algeria?
5. Whose identity does Catherine try to determine as part of her investigation into the chess match?
Short Essay Questions
1. When David arrives, what information does he find out about Valentine and what happens to her?
2. What does Minnie tell Catherine that she was chosen to be and what realization about herself does Catherine come to?
3. What alternative plan does Solarin offer once it is obvious that the storm has blown the ship significantly off course?
4. What happens when Catherine and Lily make it inside the restaurant and what are they challenged to?
5. What does Mireille tell David is the only thing that can both destroy the power of the revolution and rebuild France?
6. What is Dr. Nim's explanation for the coincidence of the man lurking outside on the bicycle and in the painting ?
7. What explanation does the Bishop give for his slight limp after Valentine and Mireille question him about it and the rumors they have heard about it?
8. What coincidence does Catherine's friend Lily point out about how Catherine has spent her time before she leaves for Algeria?
9. What information does Kamel share with Catherine about El-Marad, the man she is looking for?
10. What does the Abbess show to Catherine the Great? What does Catherine want with it? How does Catherine react?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you believe Mordecai and Lily concealed their real relationship? What was their real relationship? Why would the author choose this path? Support your rationale with evidence.
Essay Topic 2
What quests share similar characteristics and have similar stories? In what ways are they similar? Use specific examples from the novel to support your suppositions.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on the author's purpose for including quotes and titles at the beginning of each section of the book? What do they offer?
This section contains 1,380 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)