|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was it reported had given Charlemagne the gift of a special chess set?
2. What does Catherine believe herself to be acting out?
3. What does the Abbess do with the pieces of the chess set?
4. What is Llewellyn's profession?
5. Who takes Catherine back to her apartment?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Llewellyn excited to hear about Catherine's relocation and what does he ask of her?
2. What does David believe is the only thing that will be able to save France and from what does he believe France needs to be saved?
3. When David arrives, what information does he find out about Valentine and what happens to her?
4. Why does the Bishop believe it is ironic that the Abbess has gone to Russia and removed the Service from the Abbey?
5. What coincidence does Catherine's friend Lily point out about how Catherine has spent her time before she leaves for Algeria?
6. What surprise does Mireille find out about herself on the journey to Corsica?
7. What does Catherine find as she gets ready for bed after leaving a message for Nim on his private line?
8. What story does the Bishop tell Mireille and Valentine after the opera when they spend the night at his home?
9. What explanation does the Bishop give for his slight limp after Valentine and Mireille question him about it and the rumors they have heard about it?
10. Why doesn't Mireille want to return to David's home and what information does the Bishop share with her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does the training of Mireille's falcon Charlot represent? In what way is it helpful? What does the falcon symbolize throughout the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the character, Solarin, as developed by the author. What two sides are there to this character? In what ways is the character being manipulated and in what ways does he manipulate others?
Essay Topic 3
What techniques does the author use to develop the intrigue and mystery throughout the novel? Do you believe the author does so successfully? In what way is it successful or unsuccessful?
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)