|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. About how many large oil companies control most of the world's production and distribution according to Catherine?
2. What country was Catherine sent to as what she considers to be a punishment?
3. Who does Lily introduce Catherine to?
4. What was the abandoned Abbey converted into?
5. Which of the following characters tells Mireille that the Abbess sent him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Valentine and Mireille leave their place of safety to meet Sister Claude and what happens when they get to the appointed meeting place?
2. What explanation does the Bishop give for his slight limp after Valentine and Mireille question him about it and the rumors they have heard about it?
3. Why is Llewellyn excited to hear about Catherine's relocation and what does he ask of her?
4. What does Kamel tell Catherine he has done to ensure she is available and able to complete the work he wants her to complete?
5. When David arrives, what information does he find out about Valentine and what happens to her?
6. Why does the Bishop believe it is ironic that the Abbess has gone to Russia and removed the Service from the Abbey?
7. What encounter does Philidor relate to David and what happened during the encounter?
8. What are Valentine and Mireille doing when they are disturbed by a handsome man and who is this man?
9. What story does Catherine tell the Abbess to convince the Abbess that it is important that she receive the entire Service?
10. What surprise does Mireille find out about herself on the journey to Corsica?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the themes within this novel is one of revenge. How is this theme first developed? By which character? Do you believe this is an appropriate theme to include in this novel? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the the ultimate revelation which is revealed in the book's final moments. How is it foreshadowed throughout the novel?
Essay Topic 3
What does the training of Mireille's falcon Charlot represent? In what way is it helpful? What does the falcon symbolize throughout the novel?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)