|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the fortune teller when the lights go down?
2. What does Nim potentially provide Catherine in Algeria?
3. What did Blanche write on the cocktail napkin she hands to Catherine?
4. Where does Solarin tell the Russian Secret Police the chess pieces are?
5. Which of the following words best describes how Catherine feels after her encounter with the fortune teller?
Short Essay Questions
1. What work does Kamel want Catherine to complete for him which surprises Catherine and catches her off guard?
2. Why doesn't Mireille want to return to David's home and what information does the Bishop share with her?
3. When the people at the chess match begin to leave, what does Lily believe is true about Fiske, Solarin's opponent?
4. What happens when Camille encounters the Bishop when he arrives at Robespierre's home?
5. What explanation does the Bishop give for his slight limp after Valentine and Mireille question him about it and the rumors they have heard about it?
6. Why does Catherine Velis believe that she is being sent to Algeria by her accounting firm?
7. What does Llewellyn want from Catherine and how does Catherine react?
8. What surprise does Mireille find out about herself on the journey to Corsica?
9. When David arrives, what information does he find out about Valentine and what happens to her?
10. What conclusion does Mordecai draw after hearing Lily and Catherine describe the story of the chauffeur?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, the the author incorporates real-life historical figures into the novel's fictionalized plot. Describe why the author might have chosen this technique. Do you believe it is effective? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on the author's purpose for including quotes and titles at the beginning of each section of the book? What do they offer?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about the theme of destiny as it is explored throughout the novel. Is this theme realistic? Why or why not? Do you believe that humanity cannot escape what is ordained for them? Why or why not?
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)