|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the father of Mireille's child?
2. Where does the Bishop want Mireille to go?
3. What promise does Kamal make to Catherine?
4. What did Catherine do instead of sleeping when she returned to her hotel after Sharrif took her there?
5. How is Mireille disguised as she attempts to leave Paris?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Mireille want to return to David's home and what information does the Bishop share with her?
2. What steps does Catherine take on her own once she and Lily split up to complete research?
3. What work does Kamel want Catherine to complete for him which surprises Catherine and catches her off guard?
4. Why do Valentine and Mireille leave their place of safety to meet Sister Claude and what happens when they get to the appointed meeting place?
5. What does Kamel tell Catherine he has done to ensure she is available and able to complete the work he wants her to complete?
6. What happens when Camille encounters the Bishop when he arrives at Robespierre's home?
7. What is the treasure of the Abbey which the Abbess and nuns vow cannot fall into the hands of the Bishop of Autun?
8. What are Valentine and Mireille doing when they are disturbed by a handsome man and who is this man?
9. To whom does Lily introduce Catherine and what happens during their meeting?
10. What does David believe is the only thing that will be able to save France and from what does he believe France needs to be saved?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At what point in the novel does the author appear to make the shift from subconscious, spiritual destiny to outward, physical reality? Why do you think the author makes this shift? Do you believe the shift is successful? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
What techniques does the author use to develop the intrigue and mystery throughout the novel? Do you believe the author does so successfully? In what way is it successful or unsuccessful?
Essay Topic 3
Of what significance is April 4th and how does the author develop the idea of this date throughout the novel? What things (people and events) does it represent a spiritually convergent date for? What and how does this foreshadow?
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)