|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long is Solarin given to complete his mission?
2. What relationship did Euler and Bach discuss in this section?
3. What did Blanche write on the cocktail napkin she hands to Catherine?
4. On what date is the secret story of the treasure of Montglane Abby told?
5. What did Catherine do instead of sleeping when she returned to her hotel after Sharrif took her there?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Valentine and Mireille doing when they are disturbed by a handsome man and who is this man?
2. What work does Kamel want Catherine to complete for him which surprises Catherine and catches her off guard?
3. What type of wager did Charlemagne supposedly propose to Garin and what did the Arab soldiers explain would be the result of this type of wager?
4. What story does the Bishop tell Mireille and Valentine after the opera when they spend the night at his home?
5. Why doesn't Mireille want to return to David's home and what information does the Bishop share with her?
6. Why does the Bishop believe it is ironic that the Abbess has gone to Russia and removed the Service from the Abbey?
7. What is Dr. Nim's explanation for the coincidence of the man lurking outside on the bicycle and in the painting ?
8. What does the Abbess show to Catherine the Great? What does Catherine want with it? How does Catherine react?
9. Why is Llewellyn excited to hear about Catherine's relocation and what does he ask of her?
10. What does David believe is the only thing that will be able to save France and from what does he believe France needs to be saved?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the key themes of this novel is the theme of eternally present interrelationships. How is this theme developed? What are some of the examples of universal interrelationships explored? What are some of the guises the author uses to manifest these relationships?
Essay Topic 2
Which events in the novel are most effective at being descriptive rather than puzzle making? Why do you believe these events were included? Do you believe there was enough description in this novel? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
What does the training of Mireille's falcon Charlot represent? In what way is it helpful? What does the falcon symbolize throughout the novel?
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)