|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose identity does Catherine try to determine as part of her investigation into the chess match?
2. What did Blanche write on the cocktail napkin she hands to Catherine?
3. Which of the following terms best describes how Kamel reacts to hearing Catherine talk about Sharrif?
4. What does Catherine believe the Freemasons to be?
5. What country was Catherine sent to as what she considers to be a punishment?
Short Essay Questions
1. What conclusion does Mordecai draw after hearing Lily and Catherine describe the story of the chauffeur?
2. What surprise does Mireille find out about herself on the journey to Corsica?
3. Why doesn't Mireille want to return to David's home and what information does the Bishop share with her?
4. What steps does Catherine take on her own once she and Lily split up to complete research?
5. What work does Kamel want Catherine to complete for him which surprises Catherine and catches her off guard?
6. What does Kamel tell Catherine he has done to ensure she is available and able to complete the work he wants her to complete?
7. What happens when Camille encounters the Bishop when he arrives at Robespierre's home?
8. Why does the Bishop believe it is ironic that the Abbess has gone to Russia and removed the Service from the Abbey?
9. When David arrives, what information does he find out about Valentine and what happens to her?
10. What coincidence does Catherine's friend Lily point out about how Catherine has spent her time before she leaves for Algeria?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the character, Solarin, as developed by the author. What two sides are there to this character? In what ways is the character being manipulated and in what ways does he manipulate others?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about the theme of destiny as it is explored throughout the novel. Is this theme realistic? Why or why not? Do you believe that humanity cannot escape what is ordained for them? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the core aspects of the character Catherine (the one in the 1970s). Include the key elements which make up her character as well as how her character is used to foreshadow the conclusion of the novel.
This section contains 757 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)