|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Abbess show Catherine on her palm?
2. Which of the following characters tells Mireille that the Abbess sent him?
3. Who does Catherine find recently killed when she goes to retrieve her briefcase?
4. Which character is to be executed in this section?
5. What does Catherine believe the Freemasons to be?
Short Essay Questions
1. When the people at the chess match begin to leave, what does Lily believe is true about Fiske, Solarin's opponent?
2. What story does Catherine tell the Abbess to convince the Abbess that it is important that she receive the entire Service?
3. What is the treasure of the Abbey which the Abbess and nuns vow cannot fall into the hands of the Bishop of Autun?
4. Who saves Mirielle from Paris and what connection does Mirielle find out about them and her past?
5. Why doesn't Mireille want to return to David's home and what information does the Bishop share with her?
6. What news do Marie-Charlotte and Alexandrine bring to the Abbess and the other nuns?
7. What does the Abbess show to Catherine the Great? What does Catherine want with it? How does Catherine react?
8. What story does the Bishop tell Mireille and Valentine after the opera when they spend the night at his home?
9. What happens when Camille encounters the Bishop when he arrives at Robespierre's home?
10. What does David believe is the only thing that will be able to save France and from what does he believe France needs to be saved?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the themes within this novel is one of revenge. How is this theme first developed? By which character? Do you believe this is an appropriate theme to include in this novel? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
What techniques does the author use to develop the intrigue and mystery throughout the novel? Do you believe the author does so successfully? In what way is it successful or unsuccessful?
Essay Topic 3
At what point in the novel does the author appear to make the shift from subconscious, spiritual destiny to outward, physical reality? Why do you think the author makes this shift? Do you believe the shift is successful? Why or why not?
This section contains 778 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)