|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mireille decide not to return to the carriage?
2. Who is the man that Valentine and Mireille see who walks with a slight limp?
3. Who do Valentine and Miereille believe is in danger based on the letter they receive?
4. What sport did Charlemagne play frequently and even put a sign in reference to in the convent?
5. What is Llewellyn's profession?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Abbess show to Catherine the Great? What does Catherine want with it? How does Catherine react?
2. Why does the Bishop believe it is ironic that the Abbess has gone to Russia and removed the Service from the Abbey?
3. To whom does Lily introduce Catherine and what happens during their meeting?
4. Who saves Mirielle from Paris and what connection does Mirielle find out about them and her past?
5. How does the Abbess make it impossible for any one person to reveal the details of her plan to ensure the safety of the pieces of the chess set?
6. Why do Valentine and Mireille leave their place of safety to meet Sister Claude and what happens when they get to the appointed meeting place?
7. When the people at the chess match begin to leave, what does Lily believe is true about Fiske, Solarin's opponent?
8. What explanation does the Bishop give for his slight limp after Valentine and Mireille question him about it and the rumors they have heard about it?
9. What story does Catherine tell the Abbess to convince the Abbess that it is important that she receive the entire Service?
10. What does Kamel tell Catherine he has done to ensure she is available and able to complete the work he wants her to complete?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the author use the technical writing technique having one character reveal information to another? Does the author use it effectively? How? If not, how could she have done it better?
Essay Topic 2
At what point in the novel does the author appear to make the shift from subconscious, spiritual destiny to outward, physical reality? Why do you think the author makes this shift? Do you believe the shift is successful? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
What does the training of Mireille's falcon Charlot represent? In what way is it helpful? What does the falcon symbolize throughout the novel?
This section contains 758 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)