|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Back say that the powerful music of God could be used for?
2. Who takes Catherine back to her apartment?
3. Where does Solarin tell the Russian Secret Police the chess pieces are?
4. What promise does Kamal make to Catherine?
5. What does Solarin call which is against all of the rules of chess?
Short Essay Questions
1. What type of wager did Charlemagne supposedly propose to Garin and what did the Arab soldiers explain would be the result of this type of wager?
2. What does Kamel tell Catherine he has done to ensure she is available and able to complete the work he wants her to complete?
3. What steps does Catherine take on her own once she and Lily split up to complete research?
4. How does the Abbess make it impossible for any one person to reveal the details of her plan to ensure the safety of the pieces of the chess set?
5. Why do Valentine and Mireille leave their place of safety to meet Sister Claude and what happens when they get to the appointed meeting place?
6. What is Dr. Nim's explanation for the coincidence of the man lurking outside on the bicycle and in the painting ?
7. Who saves Mirielle from Paris and what connection does Mirielle find out about them and her past?
8. To whom does Lily introduce Catherine and what happens during their meeting?
9. What does the Abbess show to Catherine the Great? What does Catherine want with it? How does Catherine react?
10. What happens when Camille encounters the Bishop when he arrives at Robespierre's home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What two functions did the character Corday serve in the novel? Which function was a clever incorporation of fiction into fact? Evaluate the author's skill at accomplishing this task.
Essay Topic 2
One of the themes within this novel is one of revenge. How is this theme first developed? By which character? Do you believe this is an appropriate theme to include in this novel? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
How does the author use the technical writing technique having one character reveal information to another? Does the author use it effectively? How? If not, how could she have done it better?
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)