|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the fortune teller tell Catherine?
2. What does David believe is the only thing that will save France from itself?
3. What is jokingly called the eighth wonder of the world in this chapter?
4. Who is the person that the Bishop says wants to gain control of the service?
5. Where does Valentine tell the Bishop the Abbess went?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Mireille want to return to David's home and what information does the Bishop share with her?
2. What does Catherine find as she gets ready for bed after leaving a message for Nim on his private line?
3. What is Dr. Nim's explanation for the coincidence of the man lurking outside on the bicycle and in the painting ?
4. What does David believe is the only thing that will be able to save France and from what does he believe France needs to be saved?
5. What does the Abbess show to Catherine the Great? What does Catherine want with it? How does Catherine react?
6. What happens when Camille encounters the Bishop when he arrives at Robespierre's home?
7. Describe Catherine's incident with the fortune teller and her reaction to the entire encounter.
8. What encounter does Philidor relate to David and what happened during the encounter?
9. When the people at the chess match begin to leave, what does Lily believe is true about Fiske, Solarin's opponent?
10. What conclusion does Mordecai draw after hearing Lily and Catherine describe the story of the chauffeur?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the author use the technical writing technique having one character reveal information to another? Does the author use it effectively? How? If not, how could she have done it better?
Essay Topic 2
Of what significance is April 4th and how does the author develop the idea of this date throughout the novel? What things (people and events) does it represent a spiritually convergent date for? What and how does this foreshadow?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the the ultimate revelation which is revealed in the book's final moments. How is it foreshadowed throughout the novel?
This section contains 772 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)