|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who takes Catherine back to the hotel after Solarin disappeared from the nightclub?
2. Whose identity does Catherine try to determine as part of her investigation into the chess match?
3. Which character is to be executed in this section?
4. What does David believe is the only thing that will save France from itself?
5. Who does Catherine find recently killed when she goes to retrieve her briefcase?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does David believe is the only thing that will be able to save France and from what does he believe France needs to be saved?
2. What does Catherine find as she gets ready for bed after leaving a message for Nim on his private line?
3. When David arrives, what information does he find out about Valentine and what happens to her?
4. What are Valentine and Mireille doing when they are disturbed by a handsome man and who is this man?
5. Who saves Mirielle from Paris and what connection does Mirielle find out about them and her past?
6. What work does Kamel want Catherine to complete for him which surprises Catherine and catches her off guard?
7. When the people at the chess match begin to leave, what does Lily believe is true about Fiske, Solarin's opponent?
8. What is the meaning of the title, "Pawn to Queen's Fourth", of this section of the novel and where is the title described?
9. What does Kamel tell Catherine he has done to ensure she is available and able to complete the work he wants her to complete?
10. Why does Catherine Velis believe that she is being sent to Algeria by her accounting firm?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on the author's purpose for including quotes and titles at the beginning of each section of the book? What do they offer?
Essay Topic 2
One of the key themes of this novel is the theme of eternally present interrelationships. How is this theme developed? What are some of the examples of universal interrelationships explored? What are some of the guises the author uses to manifest these relationships?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the the ultimate revelation which is revealed in the book's final moments. How is it foreshadowed throughout the novel?
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)