|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What signals that it is time to stop working and return to the convent for the nuns?
2. Where does the Bishop meet Camille?
3. Why is Catherine told that her telephone communications will receive the highest priority?
4. To what year has the author returned the reader?
5. Who does the Abbess call the greatest chess master of all?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Abbess show to Catherine the Great? What does Catherine want with it? How does Catherine react?
2. What is the meaning of the title, "Pawn to Queen's Fourth", of this section of the novel and where is the title described?
3. What story does the Bishop tell Mireille and Valentine after the opera when they spend the night at his home?
4. What are Valentine and Mireille doing when they are disturbed by a handsome man and who is this man?
5. What news do Marie-Charlotte and Alexandrine bring to the Abbess and the other nuns?
6. Why does Catherine Velis believe that she is being sent to Algeria by her accounting firm?
7. What encounter does Philidor relate to David and what happened during the encounter?
8. What conclusion does Mordecai draw after hearing Lily and Catherine describe the story of the chauffeur?
9. Describe Catherine's incident with the fortune teller and her reaction to the entire encounter.
10. What type of wager did Charlemagne supposedly propose to Garin and what did the Arab soldiers explain would be the result of this type of wager?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on the author's purpose for including quotes and titles at the beginning of each section of the book? What do they offer?
Essay Topic 2
At what point in the novel does the author appear to make the shift from subconscious, spiritual destiny to outward, physical reality? Why do you think the author makes this shift? Do you believe the shift is successful? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
What two functions did the character Corday serve in the novel? Which function was a clever incorporation of fiction into fact? Evaluate the author's skill at accomplishing this task.
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)