|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the fortune teller tell Catherine?
2. Where does the Bishop plan to take Mireille for refuge?
3. Where does the Bishop invite Miereille and Valentine?
4. Why is Lily shocked when she and Catherine arrive at the chess tournament?
5. When is Catherine's birthday?
Short Essay Questions
1. What story does Catherine tell the Abbess to convince the Abbess that it is important that she receive the entire Service?
2. What is the meaning of the title, "Pawn to Queen's Fourth", of this section of the novel and where is the title described?
3. What is Dr. Nim's explanation for the coincidence of the man lurking outside on the bicycle and in the painting ?
4. Why is Llewellyn excited to hear about Catherine's relocation and what does he ask of her?
5. Describe Catherine's incident with the fortune teller and her reaction to the entire encounter.
6. What does Kamel tell Catherine he has done to ensure she is available and able to complete the work he wants her to complete?
7. Why does the Bishop believe it is ironic that the Abbess has gone to Russia and removed the Service from the Abbey?
8. Why does Catherine Velis believe that she is being sent to Algeria by her accounting firm?
9. What conclusion does Mordecai draw after hearing Lily and Catherine describe the story of the chauffeur?
10. To whom does Lily introduce Catherine and what happens during their meeting?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, the the author incorporates real-life historical figures into the novel's fictionalized plot. Describe why the author might have chosen this technique. Do you believe it is effective? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Of what significance is April 4th and how does the author develop the idea of this date throughout the novel? What things (people and events) does it represent a spiritually convergent date for? What and how does this foreshadow?
Essay Topic 3
At what point in the novel does the author appear to make the shift from subconscious, spiritual destiny to outward, physical reality? Why do you think the author makes this shift? Do you believe the shift is successful? Why or why not?
This section contains 756 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)