|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Catherine find recently killed when she goes to retrieve her briefcase?
2. How many narrative lines does the author use in this novel?
3. What signals that it is time to stop working and return to the convent for the nuns?
4. Who takes Catherine back to the hotel after Solarin disappeared from the nightclub?
5. What happens to the fortune teller when the lights go down?
Short Essay Questions
1. What explanation does the Bishop give for his slight limp after Valentine and Mireille question him about it and the rumors they have heard about it?
2. What type of wager did Charlemagne supposedly propose to Garin and what did the Arab soldiers explain would be the result of this type of wager?
3. What story does the Bishop tell Mireille and Valentine after the opera when they spend the night at his home?
4. What are Valentine and Mireille doing when they are disturbed by a handsome man and who is this man?
5. Who saves Mirielle from Paris and what connection does Mirielle find out about them and her past?
6. What does Kamel tell Catherine he has done to ensure she is available and able to complete the work he wants her to complete?
7. When the people at the chess match begin to leave, what does Lily believe is true about Fiske, Solarin's opponent?
8. What does the Abbess show to Catherine the Great? What does Catherine want with it? How does Catherine react?
9. Why doesn't Mireille want to return to David's home and what information does the Bishop share with her?
10. Why do Valentine and Mireille leave their place of safety to meet Sister Claude and what happens when they get to the appointed meeting place?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the core aspects of the character Catherine (the one in the 1970s). Include the key elements which make up her character as well as how her character is used to foreshadow the conclusion of the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, the the author incorporates real-life historical figures into the novel's fictionalized plot. Describe why the author might have chosen this technique. Do you believe it is effective? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The author often intertwines fact and fiction throughout the novel. Write an essay describing two examples of this technique where factual information about historical characters is intertwined with fictional information created by the author. Does this technique have a possible thematic resonance? Why or why not?
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)