|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Cardinal Rihelieu?
2. Who founded the convent to which Mireille and Valentine belong?
3. Who is the father of Mireille's child?
4. Who was it reported had given Charlemagne the gift of a special chess set?
5. What does the Abbess do with the pieces of the chess set?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the meaning of the title, "Pawn to Queen's Fourth", of this section of the novel and where is the title described?
2. What does Catherine find as she gets ready for bed after leaving a message for Nim on his private line?
3. Why does Catherine Velis believe that she is being sent to Algeria by her accounting firm?
4. What coincidence does Catherine's friend Lily point out about how Catherine has spent her time before she leaves for Algeria?
5. Why doesn't Mireille want to return to David's home and what information does the Bishop share with her?
6. What story does the Bishop tell Mireille and Valentine after the opera when they spend the night at his home?
7. What does David believe is the only thing that will be able to save France and from what does he believe France needs to be saved?
8. Describe Catherine's incident with the fortune teller and her reaction to the entire encounter.
9. What is the treasure of the Abbey which the Abbess and nuns vow cannot fall into the hands of the Bishop of Autun?
10. How does the Abbess make it impossible for any one person to reveal the details of her plan to ensure the safety of the pieces of the chess set?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the core aspects of the character Catherine (the one in the 1970s). Include the key elements which make up her character as well as how her character is used to foreshadow the conclusion of the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on the author's purpose for including quotes and titles at the beginning of each section of the book? What do they offer?
Essay Topic 3
At what point in the novel does the author appear to make the shift from subconscious, spiritual destiny to outward, physical reality? Why do you think the author makes this shift? Do you believe the shift is successful? Why or why not?
This section contains 800 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)