|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mireille decide not to return to the carriage?
2. How does Catherine get to meet with Kamel?
3. What is Catherine an expert at?
4. Where does the Bishop meet Camille?
5. What rumors do Mireille and Valentine indicate they have heard about the Bishop?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Abbess make it impossible for any one person to reveal the details of her plan to ensure the safety of the pieces of the chess set?
2. Why do Valentine and Mireille leave their place of safety to meet Sister Claude and what happens when they get to the appointed meeting place?
3. Describe Catherine's incident with the fortune teller and her reaction to the entire encounter.
4. What does Llewellyn want from Catherine and how does Catherine react?
5. Why is Llewellyn excited to hear about Catherine's relocation and what does he ask of her?
6. What work does Kamel want Catherine to complete for him which surprises Catherine and catches her off guard?
7. To whom does Lily introduce Catherine and what happens during their meeting?
8. Why doesn't Mireille want to return to David's home and what information does the Bishop share with her?
9. What is the treasure of the Abbey which the Abbess and nuns vow cannot fall into the hands of the Bishop of Autun?
10. What does Catherine find as she gets ready for bed after leaving a message for Nim on his private line?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does the training of Mireille's falcon Charlot represent? In what way is it helpful? What does the falcon symbolize throughout the novel?
Essay Topic 2
The author often intertwines fact and fiction throughout the novel. Write an essay describing two examples of this technique where factual information about historical characters is intertwined with fictional information created by the author. Does this technique have a possible thematic resonance? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Of what significance is April 4th and how does the author develop the idea of this date throughout the novel? What things (people and events) does it represent a spiritually convergent date for? What and how does this foreshadow?
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)