|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do Catherine and Lily head once they leave the city of Oran?
2. What deduction do Catherine, Lily and Solarin come to about the placement of the pieces on the chess board?
(a) In a squared off figure eight
(b) In the shape of a stone
(c) The shape of a sharpened ax
(d) Ax-shaped figure eight
3. Which of the following characters is identified as the Black Queen?
4. How long does it take the characters to travel to America once they actually start?
5. Why can't El-Marad go to visit the woman who has several of the chess pieces himself?
(a) He does not have a passport
(b) He is to ill to be able to travel
(c) She lives in a women-only environment
(d) She refuses to see him
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Minnie give to Catherine and Lily?
2. What do Catherine, Lily and Solarin decide is the only way to test their theory?
3. What does Catherine tell Lily science has discovered that everything (matter, light and sound) is held together by?
4. What becomes Mireille's personal mark?
5. Where did Solarin grow up?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the secret message that El-Marad gives to Catherine and for whom is that secret message intended?
2. What does Minnie tell Catherine that she was chosen to be and what realization about herself does Catherine come to?
3. Why was the Bishop reduced to selling land to French immigrants for the four years that he has been living in America?
4. What does Catherine recall about the time when the lunar and solar calendars cycle back to return to their starting points?
5. What do Catherine, Lily and Solarin agree is the only way to test their theory about the formula?
6. Why does the Bishop protest Mireille's suggestion that he must marry the White Queen to help end the game?
7. What information related to the Montglane service does Mireille learn when she confronts Philidor, Blake and Wordsworth?
8. What does Minnie reveal to Catherine and Lily about where the service is hidden and what does she provide them to help them collect them?
9. Describe in detail how Catherine, Lily and Carioca make it out of the restaurant?
10. What has the Abbess concealed in her room and how does Catherine react to it when the Abbess reveals it to her?
This section contains 839 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)