|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Catherine, Lily and Solarin get to see Robespierre's diagram?
(a) They went to Russia to get it
(b) It was hidden on the boat
(c) Minnie gave it to them
(d) Mireille had it in her diary
2. What does the Abbess hope to learn from Catherine the Great before she dies?
(a) What to do with Paul
(b) Where the Black Queen is
(c) What Plato knows
(d) Where the cloth is buried
3. Which of the following characters looks like Mireille enough that Mireille can replace her to keep the appointment with the Revolution leader?
4. Which of the following is the best definition for zugzwang?
(a) At the solution to the problem
(b) Stuck in the past
(c) Stuck without apparent options
(d) Caught by ones enemy
5. In what state does the Bishop decide to bury pieces from the Montglane Service?
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Catherine and Lily see when they return to their car?
2. Which of the following characters is revealed to be the Black King?
3. In what way are Solarin and Nim related?
4. Who does Marat assume will be able to get Mireille's pieces that she has shipped?
5. Who does Minnie tell Catherine has nine other pieces?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where is Lily and how do Catherine and Kamel save her?
2. What was the formula in the service for and what does it allow to happen according to Newton?
3. What information does Kamel share with Catherine about El-Marad, the man she is looking for?
4. What alternative plan does Solarin offer once it is obvious that the storm has blown the ship significantly off course?
5. Where was Lily surprised to find at least two pieces of the service?
6. What has the Abbess concealed in her room and how does Catherine react to it when the Abbess reveals it to her?
7. Why was the Bishop reduced to selling land to French immigrants for the four years that he has been living in America?
8. What events happen with the Bishop in London and what does she bring him?
9. What is Paul's plan now that Catherine the Great has died?
10. What connection does Lily explain to Catherine about the ax and chess?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)