Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long is Solarin given to complete his mission?
(a) 24 hours
(b) 2 days
(c) 12 hours
(d) 1 week
2. Who throws the farewell party for Catherine?
3. How does Germaine convince Camille that she must be spared the trials and executions?
(a) She is pregnant
(b) She has to find David first
(c) She must flee the country
(d) She is dying
4. What does the Abbess do with the pieces of the chess set?
(a) Sends them to Rome
(b) Hides them in the fields
(c) Distributes the pieces among the nuns
(d) Mails them to the Bishop
5. What year is it when the novel opens?
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Mireille disguised as she attempts to leave Paris?
2. Where did Mireille and Valentine hide the chess pieces they were to protect?
3. In what year does this portion of the story take place?
4. What is Mordecai's relationship with Lily?
5. Who was it reported had given Charlemagne the gift of a special chess set?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Valentine and Mireille leave their place of safety to meet Sister Claude and what happens when they get to the appointed meeting place?
2. What is the meaning of the title, "Pawn to Queen's Fourth", of this section of the novel and where is the title described?
3. Why does the Bishop believe it is ironic that the Abbess has gone to Russia and removed the Service from the Abbey?
4. Why does the Bishop protest Mireille's suggestion that he must marry the White Queen to help end the game?
5. Describe in detail how Catherine, Lily and Carioca make it out of the restaurant?
6. What is the secret message that El-Marad gives to Catherine and for whom is that secret message intended?
7. What has the Abbess concealed in her room and how does Catherine react to it when the Abbess reveals it to her?
8. What story does the Bishop tell Mireille and Valentine after the opera when they spend the night at his home?
9. Why does Catherine Velis believe that she is being sent to Algeria by her accounting firm?
10. What are Valentine and Mireille doing when they are disturbed by a handsome man and who is this man?
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)