|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From whom did Philidor hear about the Montglane Service?
2. Who was Cardinal Rihelieu?
3. Which of the following words best describes how Catherine feels after her encounter with the fortune teller?
4. Why does Mireille decide not to return to the carriage?
(a) She cannot find it
(b) She sees her driver's head on a spear
(c) Valentine calls for her
(d) She sees David up ahead
5. Who was it reported had given Charlemagne the gift of a special chess set?
(b) Arab prince
(c) Bishop of Autun
Short Answer Questions
1. What year is it when the novel opens?
2. How long is Solarin given to complete his mission?
3. Where does the Bishop plan to take Mireille for refuge?
4. What does the fortune teller tell Catherine?
5. What does Solarin call which is against all of the rules of chess?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Catherine find as she gets ready for bed after leaving a message for Nim on his private line?
2. How does the Abbess make it impossible for any one person to reveal the details of her plan to ensure the safety of the pieces of the chess set?
3. When the people at the chess match begin to leave, what does Lily believe is true about Fiske, Solarin's opponent?
4. Why does the Bishop believe it is ironic that the Abbess has gone to Russia and removed the Service from the Abbey?
5. What does Kamel tell Catherine he has done to ensure she is available and able to complete the work he wants her to complete?
6. What is the meaning of the title, "Pawn to Queen's Fourth", of this section of the novel and where is the title described?
7. What story does Catherine tell the Abbess to convince the Abbess that it is important that she receive the entire Service?
8. Why do Valentine and Mireille leave their place of safety to meet Sister Claude and what happens when they get to the appointed meeting place?
9. Why does Catherine Velis believe that she is being sent to Algeria by her accounting firm?
10. What surprise does Mireille find out about herself on the journey to Corsica?
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)