|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Catherine find recently killed when she goes to retrieve her briefcase?
(c) Lily's missing chauffeur
2. What is jokingly called the eighth wonder of the world in this chapter?
(b) Air travel
3. How does Catherine get to meet with Kamel?
(a) Scheduled appointment
(b) Catches him on his way to lunch
(c) Barges into his office while others try to stop him
(d) Bluffs her way in
4. Which character is to be executed in this section?
(b) Sister Claude
5. What does Solarin call which is against all of the rules of chess?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Lily shocked when she and Catherine arrive at the chess tournament?
2. What year is it when the novel opens?
3. Who is the father of Mireille's child?
4. Who does the Abbess call the greatest chess master of all?
5. What rumors do Mireille and Valentine indicate they have heard about the Bishop?
Short Essay Questions
1. What work does Kamel want Catherine to complete for him which surprises Catherine and catches her off guard?
2. What is the meaning of the title, "Pawn to Queen's Fourth", of this section of the novel and where is the title described?
3. Why does the Bishop believe it is ironic that the Abbess has gone to Russia and removed the Service from the Abbey?
4. Describe Catherine's incident with the fortune teller and her reaction to the entire encounter.
5. When the people at the chess match begin to leave, what does Lily believe is true about Fiske, Solarin's opponent?
6. What is Dr. Nim's explanation for the coincidence of the man lurking outside on the bicycle and in the painting ?
7. What are Valentine and Mireille doing when they are disturbed by a handsome man and who is this man?
8. When David arrives, what information does he find out about Valentine and what happens to her?
9. What does the Abbess show to Catherine the Great? What does Catherine want with it? How does Catherine react?
10. What does Kamel tell Catherine he has done to ensure she is available and able to complete the work he wants her to complete?
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)