|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Germaine convince Camille that she must be spared the trials and executions?
(a) She has to find David first
(b) She must flee the country
(c) She is pregnant
(d) She is dying
2. Who does Lily introduce Catherine to?
3. What does Catherine catch Lily lying about?
(a) Chess set location
(b) Chauffeur resigning
(c) Mordecai's occupation
(d) Catherine's painting skills
4. How do Miereille and Valentine feel at the opera?
5. Where does the Bishop want Mireille to go?
(a) David's home
(b) Robespierre's home
(c) To visit the Abbess
(d) The Abbey
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Abbess show Catherine on her palm?
2. Where does the Bishop plan to take Mireille for refuge?
3. Whose identity does Catherine try to determine as part of her investigation into the chess match?
4. Where does the Bishop meet Camille?
5. What did Catherine do instead of sleeping when she returned to her hotel after Sharrif took her there?
Short Essay Questions
1. When David arrives, what information does he find out about Valentine and what happens to her?
2. What are Valentine and Mireille doing when they are disturbed by a handsome man and who is this man?
3. To whom does Lily introduce Catherine and what happens during their meeting?
4. What encounter does Philidor relate to David and what happened during the encounter?
5. Why doesn't Mireille want to return to David's home and what information does the Bishop share with her?
6. When the people at the chess match begin to leave, what does Lily believe is true about Fiske, Solarin's opponent?
7. What type of wager did Charlemagne supposedly propose to Garin and what did the Arab soldiers explain would be the result of this type of wager?
8. What work does Kamel want Catherine to complete for him which surprises Catherine and catches her off guard?
9. What happens when Camille encounters the Bishop when he arrives at Robespierre's home?
10. What is the meaning of the title, "Pawn to Queen's Fourth", of this section of the novel and where is the title described?
This section contains 721 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)