|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Bishop discover when he returns home?
(a) The chess service on his table
(b) Valentine dead
(c) Camille talking with Robespierre
(d) Mireille unconscious and wounded
2. Which of the following words best describes how Catherine feels after her encounter with the fortune teller?
3. What does Solarin call which is against all of the rules of chess?
4. When is Catherine's birthday?
(a) April 4th
(b) March 3rd
(c) May 5th
(d) February 2nd
5. What sport did Charlemagne play frequently and even put a sign in reference to in the convent?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Abbess do with the pieces of the chess set?
2. What year is it when the novel opens?
3. What stops Valentine and Miereille's carriage?
4. Which of the following characters tells Mireille that the Abbess sent him?
5. Who takes Catherine back to the hotel after Solarin disappeared from the nightclub?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Catherine decide to do with the service at the end of the novel?
2. When the people at the chess match begin to leave, what does Lily believe is true about Fiske, Solarin's opponent?
3. What prophecy does Charlot offer to Napoleon?
4. What conclusion does Mordecai draw after hearing Lily and Catherine describe the story of the chauffeur?
5. Why do Valentine and Mireille leave their place of safety to meet Sister Claude and what happens when they get to the appointed meeting place?
6. What steps does Catherine take on her own once she and Lily split up to complete research?
7. Where does Catherine swim ashore and how does she get past the patrolling soldier?
8. What coincidence does Catherine's friend Lily point out about how Catherine has spent her time before she leaves for Algeria?
9. Where is Lily and how do Catherine and Kamel save her?
10. Where was Lily surprised to find at least two pieces of the service?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)