|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What stops Valentine and Miereille's carriage?
(b) Violent mob
(d) Broken lef on the horse
2. Whose identity does Catherine try to determine as part of her investigation into the chess match?
(d) Fortune teller's
3. What would be the end result should Garin lose the wager Charlemagne and Garin have on the game?
(a) Removal from the kingdom
(b) Relegation to slave status
(c) Loss of all asets
4. Where does Lily manipulate Catherine to go with her?
(a) Chess tournament
(c) Outside to confront the man on the bicycle
5. What is Mordecai's relationship with Lily?
(a) He is her current lover
(b) He has provided her with information about math
(c) He is her chauffeur
(d) He has coached her in several chess tournaments
Short Answer Questions
1. Who takes Catherine back to her apartment?
2. What did Blanche write on the cocktail napkin she hands to Catherine?
3. How do Miereille and Valentine feel at the opera?
4. Who does the Abbess call the greatest chess master of all?
5. How many narrative lines does the author use in this novel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Valentine and Mireille doing when they are disturbed by a handsome man and who is this man?
2. What encounter does Philidor relate to David and what happened during the encounter?
3. What is Dr. Nim's explanation for the coincidence of the man lurking outside on the bicycle and in the painting ?
4. Why doesn't Mireille want to return to David's home and what information does the Bishop share with her?
5. What steps does Catherine take on her own once she and Lily split up to complete research?
6. What is the meaning of the title, "Pawn to Queen's Fourth", of this section of the novel and where is the title described?
7. What news do Marie-Charlotte and Alexandrine bring to the Abbess and the other nuns?
8. What story does the Bishop tell Mireille and Valentine after the opera when they spend the night at his home?
9. What story does Catherine tell the Abbess to convince the Abbess that it is important that she receive the entire Service?
10. Who saves Mirielle from Paris and what connection does Mirielle find out about them and her past?
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)