|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the person that the Bishop says wants to gain control of the service?
(a) Catherine the Great
2. What causes the mystical spell to be broken?
(a) The wager being written down in blood
(b) Charlemagne jumping up from the table and knocking the chess set to the floor
(c) The arrival of a set of Arab soldiers
(d) Garin jumping up from the table and knocking the chess set to the floor
3. What does Mireille wish after she awakens?
(a) The chess service
(c) Her suitcase
(d) The Bishop
4. Where does the Bishop meet Camille?
(a) Home of Catherine the Great
(b) Home of Valentine and Mireille
(c) Home of Robespierre
(d) The Abbey
5. What relation is Mordecai to Harry?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the father of Mireille's child?
2. What symbol does the Bishop see on one of the eight pieces of the Montglane Service?
3. What does the Abbess show Catherine on her palm?
4. What promise does Kamal make to Catherine?
5. What sport did Charlemagne play frequently and even put a sign in reference to in the convent?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who saves Mirielle from Paris and what connection does Mirielle find out about them and her past?
2. When David arrives, what information does he find out about Valentine and what happens to her?
3. What coincidence does Catherine's friend Lily point out about how Catherine has spent her time before she leaves for Algeria?
4. What story does the Bishop tell Mireille and Valentine after the opera when they spend the night at his home?
5. What is the meaning of the title, "Pawn to Queen's Fourth", of this section of the novel and where is the title described?
6. Why do Valentine and Mireille leave their place of safety to meet Sister Claude and what happens when they get to the appointed meeting place?
7. Why does the Bishop believe it is ironic that the Abbess has gone to Russia and removed the Service from the Abbey?
8. Why is Llewellyn excited to hear about Catherine's relocation and what does he ask of her?
9. How does the Abbess make it impossible for any one person to reveal the details of her plan to ensure the safety of the pieces of the chess set?
10. What encounter does Philidor relate to David and what happened during the encounter?
This section contains 784 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)