|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Catherine catch Lily lying about?
(a) Mordecai's occupation
(b) Catherine's painting skills
(c) Chauffeur resigning
(d) Chess set location
2. What does Catherine believe the Freemasons to be?
(a) A force of good
(b) Political allies
(c) A force of evil
(d) Betrayers to all that is good
3. What would be the end result should Garin lose the wager Charlemagne and Garin have on the game?
(a) Relegation to slave status
(b) Loss of all asets
(c) Removal from the kingdom
4. Who left a note for Catherine that she finds when she returns to her apartment?
5. Who takes Catherine back to her apartment?
Short Answer Questions
1. What country was Catherine sent to as what she considers to be a punishment?
2. On what does Lily write Mordecai's telephone number?
3. Why does Mireille decide not to return to the carriage?
4. What sport did Charlemagne play frequently and even put a sign in reference to in the convent?
5. Where does the Bishop invite Miereille and Valentine?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Llewellyn want from Catherine and how does Catherine react?
2. What steps does Catherine take on her own once she and Lily split up to complete research?
3. Why is Llewellyn excited to hear about Catherine's relocation and what does he ask of her?
4. What is the meaning of the title, "Pawn to Queen's Fourth", of this section of the novel and where is the title described?
5. When the people at the chess match begin to leave, what does Lily believe is true about Fiske, Solarin's opponent?
6. What type of wager did Charlemagne supposedly propose to Garin and what did the Arab soldiers explain would be the result of this type of wager?
7. What conclusion does Mordecai draw after hearing Lily and Catherine describe the story of the chauffeur?
8. Who saves Mirielle from Paris and what connection does Mirielle find out about them and her past?
9. What happens when Camille encounters the Bishop when he arrives at Robespierre's home?
10. What coincidence does Catherine's friend Lily point out about how Catherine has spent her time before she leaves for Algeria?
This section contains 733 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)