|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who left a note for Catherine that she finds when she returns to her apartment?
2. Which of the following describes a series of chess moves that results in the empowering of the bishop?
(a) Pawn to queen's fourth
(c) A quiet move
(d) An exchange of queens
3. Where did Catherine obtain Richelieu's papers?
4. What does Catherine catch Lily lying about?
(a) Mordecai's occupation
(b) Chess set location
(c) Catherine's painting skills
(d) Chauffeur resigning
5. What relation is Mordecai to Harry?
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the fortune teller when the lights go down?
2. How does Catherine get to meet with Kamel?
3. What year is it when the novel opens?
4. From whom did Philidor hear about the Montglane Service?
5. What does the Bishop discover when he returns home?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Valentine and Mireille doing when they are disturbed by a handsome man and who is this man?
2. What surprise does Mireille find out about herself on the journey to Corsica?
3. What is the meaning of the title, "Pawn to Queen's Fourth", of this section of the novel and where is the title described?
4. What type of wager did Charlemagne supposedly propose to Garin and what did the Arab soldiers explain would be the result of this type of wager?
5. Why does Catherine Velis believe that she is being sent to Algeria by her accounting firm?
6. What conclusion does Mordecai draw after hearing Lily and Catherine describe the story of the chauffeur?
7. What does Kamel tell Catherine he has done to ensure she is available and able to complete the work he wants her to complete?
8. Why do Valentine and Mireille leave their place of safety to meet Sister Claude and what happens when they get to the appointed meeting place?
9. What does Llewellyn want from Catherine and how does Catherine react?
10. What does David believe is the only thing that will be able to save France and from what does he believe France needs to be saved?
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)