|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Solarin call which is against all of the rules of chess?
2. How does Germaine convince Camille that she must be spared the trials and executions?
(a) She has to find David first
(b) She is pregnant
(c) She must flee the country
(d) She is dying
3. What symbol does the Bishop see on one of the eight pieces of the Montglane Service?
4. What does Harry want Catherine to help him do?
(a) Get pieces from Charlamagne's chess set
(b) Smuggle new historical relics into Algeria
(c) Locate his missing relative in Algeria
(d) Find safe passage to Algeria
5. What does Mireille wish after she awakens?
(a) Her suitcase
(c) The chess service
(d) The Bishop
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Fiske using to transmit?
2. What activity does Catherine use to fill her time before she leaves for Algeria?
3. Who does the Abbess call the greatest chess master of all?
4. Who was Cardinal Rihelieu?
5. Who is the father of Mireille's child?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Abbess show to Catherine the Great? What does Catherine want with it? How does Catherine react?
2. What is the treasure of the Abbey which the Abbess and nuns vow cannot fall into the hands of the Bishop of Autun?
3. What does Kamel tell Catherine he has done to ensure she is available and able to complete the work he wants her to complete?
4. When the people at the chess match begin to leave, what does Lily believe is true about Fiske, Solarin's opponent?
5. What does Llewellyn want from Catherine and how does Catherine react?
6. Why does the Bishop believe it is ironic that the Abbess has gone to Russia and removed the Service from the Abbey?
7. What conclusion does Mordecai draw after hearing Lily and Catherine describe the story of the chauffeur?
8. Who saves Mirielle from Paris and what connection does Mirielle find out about them and her past?
9. What type of wager did Charlemagne supposedly propose to Garin and what did the Arab soldiers explain would be the result of this type of wager?
10. What story does the Bishop tell Mireille and Valentine after the opera when they spend the night at his home?
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)