|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the person that the Bishop says wants to gain control of the service?
(a) Catherine the Great
2. Where does Nim take Catherine to help calm her?
(d) Chess match
3. Why does Mireille decide not to return to the carriage?
(a) She sees David up ahead
(b) She sees her driver's head on a spear
(c) She cannot find it
(d) Valentine calls for her
4. Who was it reported had given Charlemagne the gift of a special chess set?
(b) Bishop of Autun
(c) Arab prince
5. What does Harry want Catherine to help him do?
(a) Get pieces from Charlamagne's chess set
(b) Smuggle new historical relics into Algeria
(c) Locate his missing relative in Algeria
(d) Find safe passage to Algeria
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the Abbess call the greatest chess master of all?
2. Where does the Bishop invite Miereille and Valentine?
3. What causes the mystical spell to be broken?
4. What signals that it is time to stop working and return to the convent for the nuns?
5. What does Catherine catch Lily lying about?
Short Essay Questions
1. What news do Marie-Charlotte and Alexandrine bring to the Abbess and the other nuns?
2. What does David believe is the only thing that will be able to save France and from what does he believe France needs to be saved?
3. What is the treasure of the Abbey which the Abbess and nuns vow cannot fall into the hands of the Bishop of Autun?
4. What does the Abbess show to Catherine the Great? What does Catherine want with it? How does Catherine react?
5. What conclusion does Mordecai draw after hearing Lily and Catherine describe the story of the chauffeur?
6. Why do Valentine and Mireille leave their place of safety to meet Sister Claude and what happens when they get to the appointed meeting place?
7. Who saves Mirielle from Paris and what connection does Mirielle find out about them and her past?
8. When the people at the chess match begin to leave, what does Lily believe is true about Fiske, Solarin's opponent?
9. What encounter does Philidor relate to David and what happened during the encounter?
10. How does the Abbess make it impossible for any one person to reveal the details of her plan to ensure the safety of the pieces of the chess set?
This section contains 816 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)