|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Solarin grow up?
2. What does Shahin call a sandstorm?
(a) The Refugee of Sand
(b) The White Sands
(c) The Singing Sands
(d) The White Queen
3. Why is Kamel driving Catherine through the mountains of Algeria?
(a) To begin his project with the computer model
(b) To complete her OPEC work
(c) To visit Llewellyn's dealer friend
(d) To show Catherine the countryside
4. Which of the following is the best definition for zugzwang?
(a) Stuck without apparent options
(b) Caught by ones enemy
(c) Stuck in the past
(d) At the solution to the problem
5. Which of Catherine's friends does El-Marad's name remind her?
6. How do Catherine, Lily and the dog escape from the bar and Sharrif?
(a) Escape on horseback
(b) Kamel saves them
(c) Jump in the water
(d) Run to their vehicle
7. What do Catherine and Lily see when they return to their car?
(a) A figure eight on the side
(b) Sharrif's security forces
(c) Carioca digging under the ground
(d) Minnie sitting in the seat
8. What does Minnie tell Lily and Catherine the white side wants to create with the information contained in the Montglane Service?
(a) Petroleum to control OPEC
(b) A united country
(c) Computers and mathematical formulas
(d) Weapons of mass destruction
9. Why did Mireille return to Algiers before heading to England?
(a) To find and speak to the Abbess
(b) To try and find eigh pieces of the service
(c) To collect her son and Shahin
(d) To provide help to Charlotte
10. Who suddenly and unexpectedly arrives at the conference and refers to Catherine as the one?
(a) Muammar Khaddafi
11. Whose diagram do Catherine, Lily and Solarin use as the basis for solving the mystery of the configuration of the pieces?
12. Which of the following characters is identified as the Black Queen?
13. What does Mireille want the Bishop to do to gain control of the White Queen's pieces?
(a) Hide them from her
(b) Sleep with her
(c) Marry her
(d) Steal them from her
14. Where is the Service's chessboard located?
15. Who does Catherine contact first once she and Lily reach the city of Oran?
Short Answer Questions
1. What vow does the Bishop make to Mireille when they are reunited in London?
2. Which of the following characters controls the leaders of the Revolution?
3. Where does Catherine come ashore?
4. Which of the following characters helps Mireille get the Abbess out of her prison?
5. Why does the Abbess refuse to sign the document that condemns the revolution?
This section contains 479 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)