|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Mireille tell Marat that she has shipped the pieces for which she was responsible?
(d) The Abbey
2. Who does Marat tell Mireille is the white queen?
3. Why can't El-Marad go to visit the woman who has several of the chess pieces himself?
(a) He is to ill to be able to travel
(b) She lives in a women-only environment
(c) She refuses to see him
(d) He does not have a passport
4. Where did Solarin grow up?
5. What small gift does Catherine present to El-Marad's daughter when they arrive at his house?
(b) A falcon
(c) A note from Nim
(d) A white queen chess piece
6. From where does Charlotte recognize the pattern from Robespierre's diagram?
(a) Bishops clothes
(b) David's paintings
(c) Cloth that covered the service
(d) Charlotte's robes
7. What city of the past do Catherine and Lily supposedly drive through as they follow the route Minnie drove?
8. Why does Mireille state in her diary that she refuses to leave Paris?
(a) She is afraid for her life
(b) The Bishop is lookign for her
(c) She wants to see her son born into the game
(d) The Abbess ordered her to stay
9. What vow does the Bishop make to Mireille when they are reunited in London?
(a) To take care of her until she dies
(b) To give her pieces of the service
(c) To provide her with the cloth from the service
(d) To give her a child
10. Where did the Abbess keep the cloth from the service?
(a) Buried in the forest
(b) Under her mattress
(c) Stitched into her dress
(d) As her apron
11. How long has the Bishop been in America at the beginning of this section?
(a) 5 months
(b) 4 years
(c) 1 week
(d) 8 years
12. Who does Robespierre say that Rousseau learned about the service from?
13. Which of the following is the best definition for zugzwang?
(a) At the solution to the problem
(b) Stuck in the past
(c) Stuck without apparent options
(d) Caught by ones enemy
14. Which of the following characters is revealed to be the Black King?
15. From whom does Robespierre tell David that he learned about the service?
Short Answer Questions
1. How long is the time required for the lunar and solar calendars to cycle back and return to their starting points?
2. Which of the following characters claimed to have decoded the formula in the service?
3. What does the Abbess hope to learn from Catherine the Great before she dies?
4. Where does Robespierre say the White Queen is currently?
5. Where does the Bishop end up when the ship on which he was sailing sinks?
This section contains 465 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)