|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Catherine tell El-Marad?
(a) That Lily is the Black Queen
(b) That Minnie has left the game
(c) That she knows he's the White King
(d) That she is protected by Kamel
2. From whom does Robespierre tell David that he learned about the service?
3. What city of the past do Catherine and Lily supposedly drive through as they follow the route Minnie drove?
4. Who promises the Bishop safety and prosperity if he returns to France?
5. Where did Minnie and Solarin hide after they were separated from the rest of the family?
6. What does Lily call the move she uses to get out of her stuck position?
7. Which of the following is the best definition for zugzwang?
(a) Stuck without apparent options
(b) Caught by ones enemy
(c) At the solution to the problem
(d) Stuck in the past
8. Why can't El-Marad go to visit the woman who has several of the chess pieces himself?
(a) He is to ill to be able to travel
(b) She refuses to see him
(c) He does not have a passport
(d) She lives in a women-only environment
9. What does Catherine tell Lily science has discovered that everything (matter, light and sound) is held together by?
(a) Waves of power
10. Which of the following characters claimed to have decoded the formula in the service?
11. How long has the Bishop been in America at the beginning of this section?
(a) 4 years
(b) 8 years
(c) 1 week
(d) 5 months
12. What does Mireille want the Bishop to do to gain control of the White Queen's pieces?
(a) Marry her
(b) Sleep with her
(c) Hide them from her
(d) Steal them from her
13. What do Catherine, Lily and Solarin decide is the only way to test their theory?
(a) Get the cloth
(b) Gather all of the pieces and the board
(c) Gather all of the pieces
(d) Gather the board
14. How long does it take the characters to travel to America once they actually start?
15. Who do Catherine, Lily and Kamel find with Minnie when they arrive there?
Short Answer Questions
1. What deduction do Catherine, Lily and Solarin come to about the placement of the pieces on the chess board?
2. Who does Catherine contact first once she and Lily reach the city of Oran?
3. What does Mireille name the falcon that she captures and trains to hunt for her and her guide as they travel across Algeria?
4. Why does the Abbess refuse to sign the document that condemns the revolution?
5. What does Shahin tell Mireille that he knows that she desires?
This section contains 487 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)