|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why are Valentine and Mireille barely clothed at the beginning of section three?
(a) They are bathing
(b) They are having a medical exam
(c) They are posing for a sculpture
(d) They are posing for a painting
2. Who throws the farewell party for Catherine?
3. What did Voltaire describe could be found in Richelieu's papers and journals?
(a) The mystery of the Bishop's cloven foot
(b) The first set of rules governing chess
(c) The history of the Abbey
(d) Theories about the Montglane service
4. Which of the following characters tells Mireille that the Abbess sent him?
(c) The Bishop
5. How does Catherine get to meet with Kamel?
(a) Barges into his office while others try to stop him
(b) Bluffs her way in
(c) Catches him on his way to lunch
(d) Scheduled appointment
6. What is jokingly called the eighth wonder of the world in this chapter?
(c) Air travel
7. What did Blanche write on the cocktail napkin she hands to Catherine?
(a) A wish for safe passage
(b) Information about Harry
(c) Her phone number
(d) The fortune teller's prophecy
8. What happens to the fortune teller when the lights go down?
(a) She screams and runs out the door
(b) She sets up a table to do palm readings
(c) She grabs onto Catherine's hand
(d) She disappears
9. Why is Lily shocked when she and Catherine arrive at the chess tournament?
(a) Dogs are not allowed
(b) Solarin did not show up
(c) She is denied access
(d) It has already concluded
10. Where does the Bishop meet Camille?
(a) Home of Robespierre
(b) The Abbey
(c) Home of Catherine the Great
(d) Home of Valentine and Mireille
11. Who was found dead that Harry is asked to identify?
(a) Harry's father
(b) Harry's brother
(c) Harry's chauffeur
(d) Harry's son
12. Who left a note for Catherine that she finds when she returns to her apartment?
13. In what year does this portion of the story take place?
14. Who is the father of Mireille's child?
(a) The Bishop
15. On what does Lily write Mordecai's telephone number?
(d) Chinese cabinet
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Catherine do instead of sleeping when she returned to her hotel after Sharrif took her there?
2. What year is it when the novel opens?
3. What causes the mystical spell to be broken?
4. Who does the Abbess call the greatest chess master of all?
5. Who takes Catherine back to her apartment?
This section contains 457 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)