|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the fortune teller tell Catherine?
(a) She will have great fortune
(b) She will find her true love
(c) She will have a child soon
(d) She is in danger
2. What country was Catherine sent to as what she considers to be a punishment?
3. Why does Mireille decide not to return to the carriage?
(a) She sees David up ahead
(b) Valentine calls for her
(c) She cannot find it
(d) She sees her driver's head on a spear
4. Who was found dead that Harry is asked to identify?
(a) Harry's brother
(b) Harry's chauffeur
(c) Harry's father
(d) Harry's son
5. What relationship did Euler and Bach discuss in this section?
(a) Mathematics and music
(b) Music and chess
(c) Chess and the freemasons
(d) Mathematics and chess
6. What does Catherine believe herself to be acting out?
(d) Prevention of destruction
7. Which of the following terms best describes how Kamel reacts to hearing Catherine talk about Sharrif?
(a) With alarm
(b) With anger
(c) With hope
(d) With reservations
8. What signals that it is time to stop working and return to the convent for the nuns?
(a) Clock tower ringing
(b) A specific time of day
(c) Calling from the Mother Superior
(d) Tolling Bell
9. Where does Solarin tell the Russian Secret Police the chess pieces are?
10. Where does the Bishop invite Miereille and Valentine?
(d) His home
11. Where did Mireille and Valentine hide the chess pieces they were to protect?
(a) Left them buried at the Abbey
(b) Carry them on their person at all times
(c) Buried under one of David's trees
(d) Hid them in their mattress
12. What does David believe is the only thing that will save France from itself?
(a) Valentine and Mireille
(b) Finding the chess set
13. What causes the mystical spell to be broken?
(a) The wager being written down in blood
(b) Garin jumping up from the table and knocking the chess set to the floor
(c) The arrival of a set of Arab soldiers
(d) Charlemagne jumping up from the table and knocking the chess set to the floor
14. What does Mireille wish after she awakens?
(b) Her suitcase
(c) The chess service
(d) The Bishop
15. How do Miereille and Valentine feel at the opera?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mordecai's relationship with Lily?
2. What did Catherine do instead of sleeping when she returned to her hotel after Sharrif took her there?
3. What happens to the fortune teller when the lights go down?
4. Who was Cardinal Rihelieu?
5. What did Blanche write on the cocktail napkin she hands to Catherine?
This section contains 498 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)