|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which character is considered one of the eight "collection points?"
2. Where did Mireille and Valentine hide the chess pieces they were to protect?
(a) Left them buried at the Abbey
(b) Carry them on their person at all times
(c) Hid them in their mattress
(d) Buried under one of David's trees
3. What stops Valentine and Miereille's carriage?
(a) Violent mob
(c) Broken lef on the horse
4. What does the Abbess do with the pieces of the chess set?
(a) Sends them to Rome
(b) Mails them to the Bishop
(c) Distributes the pieces among the nuns
(d) Hides them in the fields
5. Who throws the farewell party for Catherine?
6. What does the Bishop discover when he returns home?
(a) The chess service on his table
(b) Valentine dead
(c) Camille talking with Robespierre
(d) Mireille unconscious and wounded
7. What activity does Catherine use to fill her time before she leaves for Algeria?
(a) Writing letters
(c) Playing chess
8. Which of the following describes a series of chess moves that results in the empowering of the bishop?
(b) A quiet move
(c) Pawn to queen's fourth
(d) An exchange of queens
9. Who was found dead that Harry is asked to identify?
(a) Harry's son
(b) Harry's brother
(c) Harry's father
(d) Harry's chauffeur
10. What was the purpose of the Tower of Babel according to Philidor?
(a) To search for the service
(b) To understand the language of God
(c) To reach Heaven
(d) To protect the city
11. What does Mireille wish after she awakens?
(a) The Bishop
(b) The chess service
(c) Her suitcase
12. When is Catherine's birthday?
(a) February 2nd
(b) April 4th
(c) March 3rd
(d) May 5th
13. What did Voltaire describe could be found in Richelieu's papers and journals?
(a) The first set of rules governing chess
(b) The history of the Abbey
(c) The mystery of the Bishop's cloven foot
(d) Theories about the Montglane service
14. What happens to the fortune teller when the lights go down?
(a) She sets up a table to do palm readings
(b) She grabs onto Catherine's hand
(c) She disappears
(d) She screams and runs out the door
15. What is Llewellyn's profession?
(d) Antique dealer
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is one of the secret messages decoded by Nim and Catherine from the fortuneteller's words?
2. Why does Harry become upset at the thought of Catherine going to Algeria?
3. Who is Catherine's lover at this time?
4. From whom is Letizia descended?
5. How does Germaine convince Camille that she must be spared the trials and executions?
This section contains 476 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)