|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the man that Valentine and Mireille see who walks with a slight limp?
(a) Bishop of Autun
(c) Germaine de Stael
2. How does Catherine get to meet with Kamel?
(a) Bluffs her way in
(b) Scheduled appointment
(c) Barges into his office while others try to stop him
(d) Catches him on his way to lunch
3. What does the Abbess show Catherine on her palm?
(a) A figure 8
(b) Where Catherine loses the power
(c) Where her life line ends
(d) Where their paths cross
4. In what occupation was Catherine Velis previously employed?
5. What does Mireille wish after she awakens?
(a) Her suitcase
(b) The chess service
(d) The Bishop
6. What does the Arab soldier tell Charlemagne and Garin a blood wager will bring to the person making the wager?
(b) Never ending wealth
(c) Paradise on Earth
7. What activity does Catherine use to fill her time before she leaves for Algeria?
(c) Playing chess
(d) Writing letters
8. How long is Solarin given to complete his mission?
(a) 2 days
(b) 24 hours
(c) 1 week
(d) 12 hours
9. Where did Mireille and Valentine hide the chess pieces they were to protect?
(a) Hid them in their mattress
(b) Left them buried at the Abbey
(c) Carry them on their person at all times
(d) Buried under one of David's trees
10. Who is Catherine's lover at this time?
11. Who is the father of Mireille's child?
(d) The Bishop
12. Which of the following describes a series of chess moves that results in the empowering of the bishop?
(b) A quiet move
(c) Pawn to queen's fourth
(d) An exchange of queens
13. What relationship did Euler and Bach discuss in this section?
(a) Chess and the freemasons
(b) Music and chess
(c) Mathematics and music
(d) Mathematics and chess
14. What was the purpose of the Tower of Babel according to Philidor?
(a) To protect the city
(b) To search for the service
(c) To reach Heaven
(d) To understand the language of God
15. What promise does Kamal make to Catherine?
(a) To follow her
(b) To protect her
(c) To help her find the service
(d) To provide her employment
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Catherine believe the Freemasons to be?
2. What signals that it is time to stop working and return to the convent for the nuns?
3. Which of the following is one of the secret messages decoded by Nim and Catherine from the fortuneteller's words?
4. What does Catherine believe herself to be acting out?
5. How many narrative lines does the author use in this novel?
This section contains 452 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)