|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the fortune teller tell Catherine?
(a) She will find her true love
(b) She will have a child soon
(c) She will have great fortune
(d) She is in danger
2. Why is Lily shocked when she and Catherine arrive at the chess tournament?
(a) Solarin did not show up
(b) It has already concluded
(c) She is denied access
(d) Dogs are not allowed
3. Where does Solarin tell the Russian Secret Police the chess pieces are?
4. What does the Abbess do with the pieces of the chess set?
(a) Sends them to Rome
(b) Distributes the pieces among the nuns
(c) Hides them in the fields
(d) Mails them to the Bishop
5. What relationship did Euler and Bach discuss in this section?
(a) Music and chess
(b) Chess and the freemasons
(c) Mathematics and chess
(d) Mathematics and music
6. What symbol does the Bishop see on one of the eight pieces of the Montglane Service?
7. Where does the Bishop want Mireille to go?
(a) The Abbey
(b) David's home
(c) To visit the Abbess
(d) Robespierre's home
8. How do Miereille and Valentine feel at the opera?
9. What was the abandoned Abbey converted into?
10. Whose identity does Catherine try to determine as part of her investigation into the chess match?
(a) Fortune teller's
11. What is jokingly called the eighth wonder of the world in this chapter?
(a) Air travel
12. What did Voltaire describe could be found in Richelieu's papers and journals?
(a) The first set of rules governing chess
(b) The history of the Abbey
(c) The mystery of the Bishop's cloven foot
(d) Theories about the Montglane service
13. Who is the father of Mireille's child?
(c) The Bishop
14. Where does the Bishop invite Miereille and Valentine?
(d) His home
15. Where does Valentine tell the Bishop the Abbess went?
Short Answer Questions
1. From whom is Letizia descended?
2. What does Solarin call which is against all of the rules of chess?
3. How does Germaine convince Camille that she must be spared the trials and executions?
4. Who do Valentine and Miereille believe is in danger based on the letter they receive?
5. Why are Valentine and Mireille barely clothed at the beginning of section three?
This section contains 414 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)