|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Abbess do with the pieces of the chess set?
(a) Sends them to Rome
(b) Hides them in the fields
(c) Distributes the pieces among the nuns
(d) Mails them to the Bishop
2. Who does the Abbess call the greatest chess master of all?
3. What does the Bishop discover when he returns home?
(a) Valentine dead
(b) Camille talking with Robespierre
(c) The chess service on his table
(d) Mireille unconscious and wounded
4. What does David believe is the only thing that will save France from itself?
(a) Finding the chess set
(b) Valentine and Mireille
5. Where did Catherine obtain Richelieu's papers?
6. Which character is to be executed in this section?
(c) Sister Claude
7. What did Voltaire describe could be found in Richelieu's papers and journals?
(a) The mystery of the Bishop's cloven foot
(b) The history of the Abbey
(c) The first set of rules governing chess
(d) Theories about the Montglane service
8. Who does Lily introduce Catherine to?
9. Which of the following is one of the secret messages decoded by Nim and Catherine from the fortuneteller's words?
(a) Safe passage to Algeria
(b) Path to win all chess games
(c) Protection from evil
(d) Warning of Satanic evil
10. What does Solarin call which is against all of the rules of chess?
11. How long is Solarin given to complete his mission?
(a) 12 hours
(b) 24 hours
(c) 2 days
(d) 1 week
12. On what date is the secret story of the treasure of Montglane Abby told?
(a) April 4th
(b) March 3rd
(c) February 2nd
(d) May 5th
13. From whom did Philidor hear about the Montglane Service?
14. Who takes Catherine back to the hotel after Solarin disappeared from the nightclub?
15. What is jokingly called the eighth wonder of the world in this chapter?
(a) Air travel
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year does this portion of the story take place?
2. Who throws the farewell party for Catherine?
3. Who do Valentine and Miereille believe is in danger based on the letter they receive?
4. How do Miereille and Valentine feel at the opera?
5. What causes the mystical spell to be broken?
This section contains 406 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)