|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the Bishop plan to take Mireille for refuge?
2. Who was Cardinal Rihelieu?
3. Where do Elisa and Napoleon take Mireille?
4. What did Back say that the powerful music of God could be used for?
(a) Destroy future efforts at dialor
(b) Create an open dialog
(c) Convey God's intentions
(d) Create and destroy
5. What does David believe is the only thing that will save France from itself?
(b) Finding the chess set
(c) Valentine and Mireille
6. Where does Lily manipulate Catherine to go with her?
(b) Outside to confront the man on the bicycle
(d) Chess tournament
7. What causes the mystical spell to be broken?
(a) The arrival of a set of Arab soldiers
(b) Garin jumping up from the table and knocking the chess set to the floor
(c) Charlemagne jumping up from the table and knocking the chess set to the floor
(d) The wager being written down in blood
8. Which of the following terms best describes how Kamel reacts to hearing Catherine talk about Sharrif?
(a) With anger
(b) With reservations
(c) With alarm
(d) With hope
9. To what year has the author returned the reader?
10. What is Catherine an expert at?
11. What is Fiske using to transmit?
12. Why is Catherine told that her telephone communications will receive the highest priority?
(a) She knows Nim who is an important man
(b) She is a princess
(c) Kamel wants her to work for him
(d) She is an American
13. Who does Lily introduce Catherine to?
14. What does Catherine catch Lily lying about?
(a) Mordecai's occupation
(b) Chauffeur resigning
(c) Catherine's painting skills
(d) Chess set location
15. Who is Catherine's lover at this time?
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Miereille and Valentine feel at the opera?
2. Why does Harry become upset at the thought of Catherine going to Algeria?
3. Who does the Abbess call the greatest chess master of all?
4. How many narrative lines does the author use in this novel?
5. What does Solarin call which is against all of the rules of chess?
This section contains 390 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)