|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who takes Catherine back to her apartment?
2. Which of the following is one of the secret messages decoded by Nim and Catherine from the fortuneteller's words?
(a) Path to win all chess games
(b) Safe passage to Algeria
(c) Warning of Satanic evil
(d) Protection from evil
3. Who takes Catherine back to the hotel after Solarin disappeared from the nightclub?
4. Who is the man that Valentine and Mireille see who walks with a slight limp?
(a) Germaine de Stael
(d) Bishop of Autun
5. Who is the father of Mireille's child?
(a) The Bishop
6. What does the Abbess show Catherine on her palm?
(a) Where Catherine loses the power
(b) Where their paths cross
(c) A figure 8
(d) Where her life line ends
7. What happens to the fortune teller when the lights go down?
(a) She grabs onto Catherine's hand
(b) She screams and runs out the door
(c) She sets up a table to do palm readings
(d) She disappears
8. What does Mireille wish after she awakens?
(b) The chess service
(c) Her suitcase
(d) The Bishop
9. What does the Bishop discover when he returns home?
(a) The chess service on his table
(b) Valentine dead
(c) Mireille unconscious and wounded
(d) Camille talking with Robespierre
10. About how many large oil companies control most of the world's production and distribution according to Catherine?
11. What did Catherine do instead of sleeping when she returned to her hotel after Sharrif took her there?
(a) Think of a way to get in to see Kamel
(b) Try to make contact with Solarin
(c) Study books on mathematics
(d) Research OPEC
12. Who was Cardinal Rihelieu?
13. What does the fortune teller tell Catherine?
(a) She will find her true love
(b) She is in danger
(c) She will have great fortune
(d) She will have a child soon
14. Which of the following terms best describes how Kamel reacts to hearing Catherine talk about Sharrif?
(a) With hope
(b) With anger
(c) With alarm
(d) With reservations
15. Why does Mireille decide not to return to the carriage?
(a) She sees her driver's head on a spear
(b) She sees David up ahead
(c) Valentine calls for her
(d) She cannot find it
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Catherine find recently killed when she goes to retrieve her briefcase?
2. What does the Arab soldier tell Charlemagne and Garin a blood wager will bring to the person making the wager?
3. Who was it reported had given Charlemagne the gift of a special chess set?
4. What causes the mystical spell to be broken?
5. Where does the Bishop plan to take Mireille for refuge?
This section contains 479 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)