|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the person that the Bishop says wants to gain control of the service?
(b) Catherine the Great
2. What was the purpose of the Tower of Babel according to Philidor?
(a) To protect the city
(b) To understand the language of God
(c) To reach Heaven
(d) To search for the service
3. How does Germaine convince Camille that she must be spared the trials and executions?
(a) She has to find David first
(b) She is pregnant
(c) She must flee the country
(d) She is dying
4. What would be the end result should Garin lose the wager Charlemagne and Garin have on the game?
(a) Loss of all asets
(c) Relegation to slave status
(d) Removal from the kingdom
5. Which of the following terms best describes how Kamel reacts to hearing Catherine talk about Sharrif?
(a) With hope
(b) With reservations
(c) With anger
(d) With alarm
6. Who was Cardinal Rihelieu?
7. How does Catherine get to meet with Kamel?
(a) Scheduled appointment
(b) Catches him on his way to lunch
(c) Barges into his office while others try to stop him
(d) Bluffs her way in
8. What year is it when the novel opens?
9. What does Solarin call which is against all of the rules of chess?
10. What happens to the fortune teller when the lights go down?
(a) She sets up a table to do palm readings
(b) She grabs onto Catherine's hand
(c) She disappears
(d) She screams and runs out the door
11. What country was Catherine sent to as what she considers to be a punishment?
12. What does Harry want Catherine to help him do?
(a) Find safe passage to Algeria
(b) Get pieces from Charlamagne's chess set
(c) Smuggle new historical relics into Algeria
(d) Locate his missing relative in Algeria
13. Who was it reported had given Charlemagne the gift of a special chess set?
(c) Bishop of Autun
(d) Arab prince
14. Where does the Bishop meet Camille?
(a) Home of Robespierre
(b) Home of Valentine and Mireille
(c) The Abbey
(d) Home of Catherine the Great
15. Who does Lily introduce Catherine to?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who takes Catherine back to the hotel after Solarin disappeared from the nightclub?
2. Who does Catherine find recently killed when she goes to retrieve her briefcase?
3. What promise does Kamal make to Catherine?
4. Who founded the convent to which Mireille and Valentine belong?
5. On what does Lily write Mordecai's telephone number?
This section contains 423 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)