|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long is Solarin given to complete his mission?
(a) 24 hours
(b) 2 days
(c) 12 hours
(d) 1 week
2. Who throws the farewell party for Catherine?
3. How does Germaine convince Camille that she must be spared the trials and executions?
(a) She is pregnant
(b) She has to find David first
(c) She must flee the country
(d) She is dying
4. What does the Abbess do with the pieces of the chess set?
(a) Sends them to Rome
(b) Hides them in the fields
(c) Distributes the pieces among the nuns
(d) Mails them to the Bishop
5. What year is it when the novel opens?
6. How is Mireille disguised as she attempts to leave Paris?
(d) Servant boy
7. Where did Mireille and Valentine hide the chess pieces they were to protect?
(a) Buried under one of David's trees
(b) Left them buried at the Abbey
(c) Hid them in their mattress
(d) Carry them on their person at all times
8. In what year does this portion of the story take place?
9. What is Mordecai's relationship with Lily?
(a) He is her chauffeur
(b) He has coached her in several chess tournaments
(c) He is her current lover
(d) He has provided her with information about math
10. Who was it reported had given Charlemagne the gift of a special chess set?
(a) Arab prince
(c) Bishop of Autun
11. Who takes Catherine back to the hotel after Solarin disappeared from the nightclub?
12. When is Catherine's birthday?
(a) March 3rd
(b) April 4th
(c) May 5th
(d) February 2nd
13. What would be the end result should Garin lose the wager Charlemagne and Garin have on the game?
(a) Removal from the kingdom
(b) Relegation to slave status
(d) Loss of all asets
14. What was the purpose of the Tower of Babel according to Philidor?
(a) To search for the service
(b) To protect the city
(c) To reach Heaven
(d) To understand the language of God
15. What is Catherine an expert at?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Catherine told that her telephone communications will receive the highest priority?
2. Who is the person that the Bishop says wants to gain control of the service?
3. How was Fiske killed?
4. What does Mireille wish after she awakens?
5. What symbol does the Bishop see on one of the eight pieces of the Montglane Service?
This section contains 412 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)