|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Bishop discover when he returns home?
(a) The chess service on his table
(b) Valentine dead
(c) Mireille unconscious and wounded
(d) Camille talking with Robespierre
2. From whom did Philidor hear about the Montglane Service?
3. Why does Harry become upset at the thought of Catherine going to Algeria?
(a) He believes she will be unable to communicate effectively
(b) He has heard that it is very dangerous there
(c) He does not want her near Arabs
(d) He feels that it is too far away from family and friends
4. Who does Lily introduce Catherine to?
5. Who is the person that the Bishop says wants to gain control of the service?
(d) Catherine the Great
6. What does the fortune teller tell Catherine?
(a) She will have a child soon
(b) She is in danger
(c) She will find her true love
(d) She will have great fortune
7. How many narrative lines does the author use in this novel?
8. What sport did Charlemagne play frequently and even put a sign in reference to in the convent?
9. What would be the end result should Garin lose the wager Charlemagne and Garin have on the game?
(a) Loss of all asets
(c) Removal from the kingdom
(d) Relegation to slave status
10. What does Catherine believe the Freemasons to be?
(a) Betrayers to all that is good
(b) A force of good
(c) A force of evil
(d) Political allies
11. Who do Valentine and Miereille believe is in danger based on the letter they receive?
12. What is jokingly called the eighth wonder of the world in this chapter?
(a) Air travel
13. Who is the man that Valentine and Mireille see who walks with a slight limp?
(a) Germaine de Stael
(d) Bishop of Autun
14. What is Mordecai's relationship with Lily?
(a) He is her current lover
(b) He is her chauffeur
(c) He has provided her with information about math
(d) He has coached her in several chess tournaments
15. How do Miereille and Valentine feel at the opera?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character is to be executed in this section?
2. Which of the following is one of the secret messages decoded by Nim and Catherine from the fortuneteller's words?
3. How does Catherine get to meet with Kamel?
4. What symbol does the Bishop see on one of the eight pieces of the Montglane Service?
5. Who is the father of Mireille's child?
This section contains 451 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)