|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Solarin tell the Russian Secret Police the chess pieces are?
2. About how many large oil companies control most of the world's production and distribution according to Catherine?
3. Who do Valentine and Miereille believe is in danger based on the letter they receive?
4. How long is Solarin given to complete his mission?
(a) 1 week
(b) 2 days
(c) 12 hours
(d) 24 hours
5. Who is Catherine's lover at this time?
6. What is jokingly called the eighth wonder of the world in this chapter?
(b) Air travel
7. To what year has the author returned the reader?
8. What does the fortune teller tell Catherine?
(a) She will find her true love
(b) She will have great fortune
(c) She will have a child soon
(d) She is in danger
9. What year is it when the novel opens?
10. What does Catherine catch Lily lying about?
(a) Chauffeur resigning
(b) Chess set location
(c) Mordecai's occupation
(d) Catherine's painting skills
11. What does David believe is the only thing that will save France from itself?
(c) Finding the chess set
(d) Valentine and Mireille
12. Whose identity does Catherine try to determine as part of her investigation into the chess match?
(a) Fortune teller's
13. What was the purpose of the Tower of Babel according to Philidor?
(a) To reach Heaven
(b) To protect the city
(c) To search for the service
(d) To understand the language of God
14. How does Catherine get to meet with Kamel?
(a) Barges into his office while others try to stop him
(b) Catches him on his way to lunch
(c) Scheduled appointment
(d) Bluffs her way in
15. Who is the man that Valentine and Mireille see who walks with a slight limp?
(c) Germaine de Stael
(d) Bishop of Autun
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Back say that the powerful music of God could be used for?
2. In what year does this portion of the story take place?
3. Where does the Bishop want Mireille to go?
4. In what occupation was Catherine Velis previously employed?
5. What is Fiske using to transmit?
This section contains 364 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)