|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The floor of the first empty room slants in what direction?
2. Who is CCF?
3. What hotel does Ralph stay at in Cairo in October 1922?
4. When Ralph orders Ahmed to purchase a gate and padlock, how many days does he give Ahmed to return to the tomb?
5. When Ralph returns to the dig after three days, what are the workers hitting the third door with?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some examples Ralph gives of bad translations of Atum-hadu's poetry?
2. Why does Ralph cut the pay of his workers?
3. Why does Ralph start guarding the tomb himself, after the plaster is on the third door?
4. What is the explanation that Margaret gives for her odd initial letter to Ralph?
5. What does the letter from ter Breuggen to Ralph at the beginning or Ralph's dig say?
6. What does the first day at the dig for Ralph, Ahmed and a few workers entail?
7. What are the instructions that Ralph gives Margaret about publishing his book?
8. Why does Ralph think that Atum-hadu's tomb has been hidden since the beginning?
9. When Ralph leaves the workers to guard the tomb and goes into town, what does he do in town?
10. Why does Ralph let all of his workers go into town after he is hurt?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does greed and personal success motivate the various characters in the book? Compare/contrast at least three different characters and use specific examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Using examples from the book to support your answer, explain how Ralph's and Atum-hadu's lives are similar and what implications those similarities have for Ralph's actions.
Essay Topic 3
What is a climax in a plot? What is the climax of this book? Use specific examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)