|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where are Len and Sonia Nordquist from?
2. According to Ralph, what was Margaret doing when she and Ralph first met?
3. When Ralph tells CCF of the discovery of the empty room, what does CCF express?
4. When did Paul Caldwell go missing?
5. What job does Mr. Hoyt hold?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Margaret want Ralph to return to Boston?
2. Why does Ralph hire Ahmed to be the head of his excavation team?
3. How does Ralph get a look inside the tomb?
4. What happens between Ferrell and Margaret during their first meeting?
5. Why does Ralph cut the pay of his workers?
6. When Ralph receives a telegram from CCF asking for clarification of his Oxford studies, what does Ralph reply with?
7. How did Ralph hurt his foot?
8. In the very first entry of the book, what does Ralph want Margaret to know about the letter he is writing?
9. What are some examples Ralph gives of bad translations of Atum-hadu's poetry?
10. In his childhood, what did Ralph tell the vicar about Egyptian theology that got him beaten?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ralph explains the myth of Atum-hadu in his letters. How does this myth help the reader surmise what really happened to Ralph? Use specific examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Using examples from the book, explain how Ralph elevates himself beyond his actual position in society and life. Why does he do this? What does this tell us about his character? About his priorities? About his needs?
Essay Topic 3
How do the various characters in the book lack common sense? What implications does this lack of common sense have for their futures? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 639 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)