|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Ferrell meet Margaret?
2. The floor of the first empty room slants in what direction?
3. What is in the third room?
4. Margaret writes to Ralph about Ferrell and says that she cannot believe Ralph and who were ever friends?
5. After Ralph recites poetry for the Nordquists, they invite him to their cabin for what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is found beyond the sixth door?
2. What is the problem with the second door?
3. Describe the staircase that Ralph visits at Carter's site.
4. Describe the cats that are outside Ralph's villa when he wakes up.
5. What happens when one of the workers finds a patch of smooth white rock in the cliff face?
6. What happens between Ferrell and Margaret during their first meeting?
7. In the very first entry of the book, what does Ralph want Margaret to know about the letter he is writing?
8. How does Ralph get a look inside the tomb?
9. What does the letter from ter Breuggen to Ralph at the beginning or Ralph's dig say?
10. Why is Ferrell not looking forward to his trip to Boston?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is this book a history, biography or detective story? Is it part of all three? Answer these questions using examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
What is a climax in a plot? What is the climax of this book? Use specific examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
What does Professor ter Breuggen represent in the story? Use specific examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)