|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Margaret writes to Ralph about her dream of their first child, what does the first child say?
2. When does the Director General tell Ralph to come back?
3. How many columns are in the room with the seventh door?
4. What does Terbroogan think Trilipush's expedition to Egypt will be like?
5. When Ralph picks up the telegram from CCF that promises the funds are going to be wired now that he has found the door, who else has sent him a letter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the first day at the dig for Ralph, Ahmed and a few workers entail?
2. Why does Ralph let all of his workers go into town after he is hurt?
3. What does the letter from ter Breuggen to Ralph at the beginning or Ralph's dig say?
4. When Ralph leaves the workers to guard the tomb and goes into town, what does he do in town?
5. Describe the staircase that Ralph visits at Carter's site.
6. Why does Ralph start guarding the tomb himself, after the plaster is on the third door?
7. Why does Ralph think that Atum-hadu's tomb has been hidden since the beginning?
8. What are the instructions that Ralph gives Margaret about publishing his book?
9. How does Ralph get a look inside the tomb?
10. When Margaret writes Ralph and complains of boredom, what does she ask him to let her do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does greed and personal success motivate the various characters in the book? Compare/contrast at least three different characters and use specific examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Using examples from the book to support your answer, explain how Ralph's and Atum-hadu's lives are similar and what implications those similarities have for Ralph's actions.
Essay Topic 3
How does the ending of the book flow logically from the plot? Cite examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)