|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Ralph study that caused the village vicar to beat him?
2. What is the title of Ralph's book of poetry written by Atum-hadu?
3. Ferrell believes that Ralph is what?
4. What does Ralph lower past the smooth stone once they remove it from the cliff face?
5. According to Ferrell, the British government has no record of what?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Ralph, what is the Tomb Paradox?
2. What did Ralph do to the columns in the sixth room?
3. What does Ferrell find at the bonfire after realizing that Ralph and CCF didn't use their tickets to board the ship?
4. Who is Ferrell?
5. Why does Ralph start guarding the tomb himself, after the plaster is on the third door?
6. When Ralph receives a telegram from CCF asking for clarification of his Oxford studies, what does Ralph reply with?
7. What does the letter from ter Breuggen to Ralph at the beginning or Ralph's dig say?
8. When Margaret writes Ralph and complains of boredom, what does she ask him to let her do?
9. What does the first day at the dig for Ralph, Ahmed and a few workers entail?
10. What is the fabricated tale Marlow tells Paul?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using examples from the book, compare and contrast the way Ralph and Ferrell use their imaginations to help them towards fame.
Essay Topic 2
Using examples from the book, explain how Ralph elevates himself beyond his actual position in society and life. Why does he do this? What does this tell us about his character? About his priorities? About his needs?
Essay Topic 3
Using examples from the book to support your answer, explain how the relationship between Ralph and Margaret is ironic.
This section contains 1,087 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)