|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Ralph finds that the funds haven't gone through, where does he have lunch with his real estate agent?
2. From what dynasty is King Atum-hadu?
3. When the workers return from finding help for the second man, what do they bring for Ralph?
4. What hotel does Ralph stay at in Cairo in October 1922?
5. What do the cats outside Ralph's villa remind him of?
Short Essay Questions
1. What reason does the Director General's note give for not letting Ralph dig?
2. When does Ralph want to bring Lord Carnarvon to his dig?
3. Describe the cats that are outside Ralph's villa when he wakes up.
4. How do the Director General and Carter show that they do not respect Ralph?
5. Why does Ralph think that Atum-hadu's tomb has been hidden since the beginning?
6. What is the fabricated tale Marlow tells Paul?
7. How did Ralph hurt his foot?
8. What is one of the problems with translating written Egyptian?
9. Why does Marlowe invite Paul to visit the Valley of the Kings with him?
10. When Margaret writes Ralph and complains of boredom, what does she ask him to let her do?
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the way that Ralph and Ferrell deal with disappointment and guilt. Cite examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
How does the ending of the book flow logically from the plot? Cite examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
What is the Tomb Paradox, and how does it help Ralph rationalize his behavior? Cite specific examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 1,041 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)