|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Paul Caldwell go missing?
2. What does Ralph insist on doing to the third door before attempting to open it?
3. What job does Mr. Hoyt hold?
4. What is the tone of the message Ralph receives from ter Breuggen?
5. When Ralph tells CCF of the discovery of the empty room, what does CCF express?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the letter from ter Breuggen to Ralph at the beginning or Ralph's dig say?
2. Describe the staircase that Ralph visits at Carter's site.
3. Why did Paul join the army?
4. Why is Ferrell not looking forward to his trip to Boston?
5. Why does Ralph think that Atum-hadu's tomb has been hidden since the beginning?
6. How does Ralph get a look inside the tomb?
7. Why does Ralph hire Ahmed to be the head of his excavation team?
8. What happens when one of the workers finds a patch of smooth white rock in the cliff face?
9. When Margaret writes Ralph and complains of boredom, what does she ask him to let her do?
10. What is found beyond the sixth door?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the way that Ralph and Ferrell deal with disappointment and guilt. Cite examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Using examples from the book, explain how Ralph elevates himself beyond his actual position in society and life. Why does he do this? What does this tell us about his character? About his priorities? About his needs?
Essay Topic 3
Is Ralph insane, obsessed or simple focused in his behavior? Does his status change over time? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 592 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)