|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Ralph study that caused the village vicar to beat him?
2. What did the Egyptian royalty do to their bodies to gain immortality?
3. How does Ralph describe the estate he grew up on in his letter to Margaret?
4. What is the name of the man Ralph hires to be head of his excavation team?
5. What is the name of Margaret's Swedish nurse?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the first day at the dig for Ralph, Ahmed and a few workers entail?
2. How does Ralph get a look inside the tomb?
3. What happens between Ferrell and Margaret during their first meeting?
4. Why does Margaret want Ralph to return to Boston?
5. Describe the staircase that Ralph visits at Carter's site.
6. Who is Ferrell?
7. What are some examples Ralph gives of bad translations of Atum-hadu's poetry?
8. What is one of the problems with translating written Egyptian?
9. Why does Ralph hire Ahmed to be the head of his excavation team?
10. When Ralph receives a telegram from CCF asking for clarification of his Oxford studies, what does Ralph reply with?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the ending of the book flow logically from the plot? Cite examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
How do the various characters in the book lack common sense? What implications does this lack of common sense have for their futures? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
How does the structure of the book influence the way in which the story is presented? Use specific examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 603 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)