|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On Monday, November 6, 1922, Ralph pays his workers and sends them home because he is what?
2. When Terbroogan takes Ferrell into Ralph's office, what is on his desk?
3. Where does Ferrell live when he contacts Laurence Macy?
4. From what dynasty is King Atum-hadu?
5. When Ralph tells CCF of the discovery of the empty room, what does CCF express?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Margaret writes Ralph and complains of boredom, what does she ask him to let her do?
2. Describe the party CCF threw for Ralph and Margaret.
3. What reason does the Director General's note give for not letting Ralph dig?
4. Why does Ralph think that Atum-hadu's tomb has been hidden since the beginning?
5. How did Ralph hurt his foot?
6. Why does Ralph let all of his workers go into town after he is hurt?
7. What does the letter from ter Breuggen to Ralph at the beginning or Ralph's dig say?
8. What is Ferrell's theory of human behavior?
9. Why does Margaret want Ralph to return to Boston?
10. When Ralph receives a telegram from CCF asking for clarification of his Oxford studies, what does Ralph reply with?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using examples from the book, explain how Ralph elevates himself beyond his actual position in society and life. Why does he do this? What does this tell us about his character? About his priorities? About his needs?
Essay Topic 2
What is the Tomb Paradox, and how does it help Ralph rationalize his behavior? Cite specific examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
How does time affect the events in the story and how it is told by others? Support your answer with evidence from the book.
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)