|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Margaret writes to Ralph and Ferrell about Cornelius Macy, what does she tease Ralph about?
2. While Ralph and Ahmed are eating supper, what do the other men do?
3. With the intention of greasing the bureaucratic skids, Ralph goes to the office of the Director General of what?
4. What is the location of Ralph's villa?
5. Margaret gave Ralph a sculpture of what before he left?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the very first entry of the book, what does Ralph want Margaret to know about the letter he is writing?
2. Why does Ralph start guarding the tomb himself, after the plaster is on the third door?
3. Why does Margaret want Ralph to return to Boston?
4. What happens between Ferrell and Margaret during their first meeting?
5. When Margaret writes Ralph and complains of boredom, what does she ask him to let her do?
6. Why is Ferrell not looking forward to his trip to Boston?
7. In his childhood, what did Ralph tell the vicar about Egyptian theology that got him beaten?
8. What is found beyond the sixth door?
9. Why does Ralph let all of his workers go into town after he is hurt?
10. When Ralph leaves the workers to guard the tomb and goes into town, what does he do in town?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does greed and personal success motivate the various characters in the book? Compare/contrast at least three different characters and use specific examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
How do the various characters in the book lack common sense? What implications does this lack of common sense have for their futures? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
What is the importance of the items that Ralph placed in the tomb? What is the importance of the order of the items? Use specifics from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)