|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The first day of the dig involves looking for signs of the tomb where?
2. What job does Mr. Hoyt hold?
3. While Ralph and Ahmed are eating supper, what do the other men do?
4. Who does Ralph think that the third set of assassins killed in order to keep the tomb's location a secret?
5. With the intention of greasing the bureaucratic skids, Ralph goes to the office of the Director General of what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Ferrell not looking forward to his trip to Boston?
2. When Margaret writes Ralph and complains of boredom, what does she ask him to let her do?
3. What is the problem with the second door?
4. What happens between Ferrell and Margaret during their first meeting?
5. According to Ralph's translations, who is Atum-hadu's new queen?
6. What is the real truth about the cat in the seventh room?
7. What does Ralph want to do when he is crying about not being able to open the ninth chamber?
8. How does CCF react to the news that Ralph has found the tomb?
9. What is the subject of, and to whom, has Ralph been sending anonymous telegrams about CCF?
10. What does Ralph place in the first and second chambers after he decorates the first chamber?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ralph explains the myth of Atum-hadu in his letters. How does this myth help the reader surmise what really happened to Ralph? Use specific examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
How does the theme of immortality affect the characters in the book? What definition of immortality is used by the various characters? Cite specific examples in support of your answer.
Essay Topic 3
How does greed and personal success motivate the various characters in the book? Compare/contrast at least three different characters and use specific examples to support your answer.
This section contains 1,130 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)