|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Since Ralph believes he will soon be receiving money by wire, who does he give money to?
2. What does Ralph lower past the smooth stone once they remove it from the cliff face?
3. Where does the second door smash?
4. When Margaret writes to Ralph about her dream of their first child, what does the first child say?
5. Before Ralph leaves to his villa, how many suits does he pick up from the tailor?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the explanation that Margaret gives for her odd initial letter to Ralph?
2. What happens between Ferrell and Margaret during their first meeting?
3. How do the Director General and Carter show that they do not respect Ralph?
4. What reason does the Director General's note give for not letting Ralph dig?
5. What happens when one of the workers finds a patch of smooth white rock in the cliff face?
6. What is Ferrell's theory of human behavior?
7. Why does Ralph let all of his workers go into town after he is hurt?
8. Describe the staircase that Ralph visits at Carter's site.
9. What is found beyond the sixth door?
10. Who is Ferrell?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do the various characters in the book lack common sense? What implications does this lack of common sense have for their futures? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Using examples from the book to support your answer, explain how the relationship between Ralph and Margaret is ironic.
Essay Topic 3
Using examples from the book, compare and contrast the way Ralph and Ferrell use their imaginations to help them towards fame.
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)