|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Emily want to ask Sarah's sons in Part 3: Chapter 2?
2. What does Emily discover when she visits Sarah in the hospital in Part 3: Chapter1?
3. How can Tony's mood be described in Part 3: Chapter 2?
4. Where does Peter take Emily in Part 3: Chapter 2?
5. Where does Peter pick Emily up in Part 3: Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. Would you say that Sarah is happy in Part 2 of the novel?
2. What is happening career-wise for Emily in Part 3: Chapter 3?
3. What are Sarah and Tony's sons doing in Part 3: Chapter 1?
4. What does Tony do after Sarah's funeral?
5. Why does Sarah call Emily in Part 2: Chapter 3? What does Emily do as a result of this call?
6. What happens at the beginning of Part 2: Chapter 3?
7. How does Emily compare herself to Peter?
8. Why do you think that Emily tells her lovers about her sister's misfortunes?
9. What does Emily do concerning her suspicions concerning Sarah's death?
10. Do you consider Emily to be successful in Part 2: Chapters 3 and 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the end of the novel, Emily visits Peter, who relays to her that Sarah saw Emily as the one who got her freedom. At what cost does this freedom come? Explain the concept of freedom in The Easter Parade and show whether or not Emily achieved the freedom her generation desired.
Essay Topic 2
How does Emily change throughout the novel? Cite two to three examples to argue your point. If you believe she does not change, how so?
Essay Topic 3
As a child, Emily feels inadequate compared to Sarah. How does this feeling of inadequacy extend into adulthood? What can be said for sibling rivalry in The Easter Parade?
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)