|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Peter doing in Part 3: Chapter 1?
2. How old is Emily in Chapter 2 of Part 3?
3. What does Emily learn in this phone call she receives in Part 2: Chapter 3?
4. What kind of studio does the neighbor of the party host run in Part 3: Chapter 3?
5. What is Eric doing in Part 3: Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does it say about Emily that she is committed to Howard Dunninger?
2. What does Tony do after Sarah's funeral?
3. What happens at Sarah's funeral and reception?
4. Do you agree with Emily that Tony killed Sarah or do you disagree?
5. Who is Michael Hogan?
6. Who is Howard Dunninger?
7. What is Peter's reaction to Emily's outburst in the car on the way to his house?
8. Why does Emily call Peter in Part 3: Chapter 3?
9. Why does Emily suddenly remember what happened the night of the party?
10. Why does Sarah call Emily in Part 2: Chapter 3? What does Emily do as a result of this call?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Yates choose Emily to be the narrator? What is achieved by making Emily the narrator? Are there any advantages? Disadvantages?
Essay Topic 2
Compare the characters of Emily and Sarah.
Essay Topic 3
The opening of the novel reads, "Neither of the Grimes sister would have a happy life, and looking back it always seemed that the trouble began with their parents' divorce." Discuss the opening line in relation to the entirety of the novel. How does this first line set up the tone for the novel? What is meant by having a "happy life"?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)