|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Emily want to ask Tony in Part 3: Chapter 2?
2. What does Emily want to ask Sarah's sons in Part 3: Chapter 2?
3. What does Emily find when she goes to Sarah's hotel the same night as they had lunch?
4. How long does Emily spend without a job?
5. What is Eric doing in Part 3: Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens as a result of Emily's refusal to help Sarah when she considers leaving Tony?
2. What are Sarah and Tony's sons doing in Part 3: Chapter 1?
3. What does Emily learn about Sarah in Part 2: Chapter 4?
4. Would you say that Sarah is happy in Part 2 of the novel?
5. What does it say about Emily that she is committed to Howard Dunninger?
6. What is happening career-wise for Emily in Part 3: Chapter 3?
7. What is Peter's reaction to Emily's outburst in the car on the way to his house?
8. Why does Emily suddenly remember what happened the night of the party?
9. Why do you think that Emily tells her lovers about her sister's misfortunes?
10. Describe the party that Emily attends thrown by a friend in Part 3: Chapter 3.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose either Sarah or Emily and examine her relationship with Pookie. Is their relationship stereotypical of a mother/daughter relationship? If not, how does it differ?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss time. Yates starts in Tenafly, NY in the 1930s and travels decades over the course of the novel. The novel, just over 200 pages, spans nearly the entirety of Emily and Sarah's lives. Which parts could have been sped up? Slowed down?
Essay Topic 3
Death is an inevitable part of life for the Grimes family and several funerals are attended over the course of the novel. Discuss death in the novel, focusing not only on the literal meaning.
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)