|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the youngest of Sarah and Tony's children?
2. What happens with Emily's article in Part 3: Chapter 3?
3. What has Emily been told is the cause of Sarah's death?
4. Who does Emily receive a phone call from at the end of Part 2: Chapter 3?
5. What does Emily try to remember at the beginning of Part 2: Chapter 3?
Essay Topic 1
The opening of the novel reads, "Neither of the Grimes sister would have a happy life, and looking back it always seemed that the trouble began with their parents' divorce." Discuss the opening line in relation to the entirety of the novel. How does this first line set up the tone for the novel? What is meant by having a "happy life"?
Essay Topic 2
At the end of the novel, Emily visits Peter, who relays to her that Sarah saw Emily as the one who got her freedom. At what cost does this freedom come? Explain the concept of freedom in The Easter Parade and show whether or not Emily achieved the freedom her generation desired.
Essay Topic 3
Why does Yates choose Emily to be the narrator? What is achieved by making Emily the narrator? Are there any advantages? Disadvantages?
This section contains 839 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)