|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Emily threaten to do when they arrive at Peter's house in Part 3: Chapter 3?
2. Where does Howard travel to in Part 3: Chapter 2?
3. What does Howard Dunninger tell Emily about his situation?
4. What is Emily fearful of in Part 3: Chapter1?
5. What does Emily discover about her sister in Part 2: Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Sarah call Emily in Part 2: Chapter 3? What does Emily do as a result of this call?
2. Discuss Emily's reaction to the masturbation studio.
3. Who is Howard Dunninger?
4. Who is Michael Hogan?
5. What does it say about Emily that she is committed to Howard Dunninger?
6. What is Peter's reaction to Emily's outburst in the car on the way to his house?
7. What are Sarah and Tony's sons doing in Part 3: Chapter 1?
8. What happens at the beginning of Part 2: Chapter 3?
9. How does Emily compare herself to Peter?
10. Why do you think that Emily tells her lovers about her sister's misfortunes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of the Easter Parade Sarah and Tony attend in Part 1? Discuss it's context in relation to the rest of the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Emily is an optimistic character. Even though her parents are divorced, she remains hopeful that they will get back together. What does this hopefulness do for her? Does she retain this optimism for her entire life? Select no less than two scenes that exhibit hopefulness and her optimism.
Essay Topic 3
Is place important? Emily begins in Tenafly, NY in the 1930s and moves throughout the novel. On the other hand, Sarah remains fairly stagnant, even avoiding going to Montana because of distance. Discuss movement, traveling, and the fear of leaving in The Easter Parade.
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)