|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Sarah travel to New York in Part 2: Chapter 4?
2. What does Emily find when she goes to Sarah's hotel the same night as they had lunch?
3. What is Howard's mood like when he returns from his trip in Part 3: Chapter 2?
4. What does Emily want to ask Sarah's sons in Part 3: Chapter 2?
5. How can Tony's mood be described in Part 3: Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Emily do concerning her suspicions concerning Sarah's death?
2. What are Sarah and Tony's sons doing in Part 3: Chapter 1?
3. Why is Pookie hospitalized?
4. Discuss Emily's reaction to the masturbation studio.
5. What does Tony do after Sarah's funeral?
6. What happens at the beginning of Part 2: Chapter 3?
7. Would you say that Sarah is happy in Part 2 of the novel?
8. What does Emily do to help Sarah in Part 2: Chapter 4?
9. Why does Sarah call Emily in Part 2: Chapter 3? What does Emily do as a result of this call?
10. Why do you think that Emily tells her lovers about her sister's misfortunes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of the Easter Parade Sarah and Tony attend in Part 1? Discuss it's context in relation to the rest of the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Emily is an optimistic character. Even though her parents are divorced, she remains hopeful that they will get back together. What does this hopefulness do for her? Does she retain this optimism for her entire life? Select no less than two scenes that exhibit hopefulness and her optimism.
Essay Topic 3
Why does Yates choose Emily to be the narrator? What is achieved by making Emily the narrator? Are there any advantages? Disadvantages?
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)