|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In which month does Sarah call Emily in Part 3: Chapter 1?
2. How do critics respond to Jack's latest book in Part 2: Chapter 4?
3. Why does Emily claim that she uses this topic as a conversation piece in Part 3: Chapter 1?
4. What is Peter doing in Part 3: Chapter 1?
5. Why is Sarah apprehensive about this plan for a big expense in Part 2: Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Emily refuse to help Sarah when she thinks about leaving Tony?
2. What does it say about Emily that she is committed to Howard Dunninger?
3. Why does it appear that this relationship between Howard and Emily will not work?
4. What does Emily do to help Sarah in Part 2: Chapter 4?
5. Who is Howard Dunninger?
6. What is Peter's reaction to Emily's outburst in the car on the way to his house?
7. What happens at the beginning of Part 2: Chapter 3?
8. What happens with Emily and Howard's relationship at the end of Part 3: Chapter 2?
9. What happens as a result of Emily's refusal to help Sarah when she considers leaving Tony?
10. Why does Sarah call Emily in Part 2: Chapter 3? What does Emily do as a result of this call?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Emily places importance on her love life. Discuss Emily's romantic interludes, making sure to focus on one or two of her lovers in particular. What are her suitors like? Why is Emily so unlucky in love?
Essay Topic 2
Choose either Sarah or Emily and examine her relationship with Pookie. Is their relationship stereotypical of a mother/daughter relationship? If not, how does it differ?
Essay Topic 3
At the end of the novel, Emily visits Peter, who relays to her that Sarah saw Emily as the one who got her freedom. At what cost does this freedom come? Explain the concept of freedom in The Easter Parade and show whether or not Emily achieved the freedom her generation desired.
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)