|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Emily want to ask Sarah's sons in Part 3: Chapter 2?
2. How can Sarah be described at the end of Part 3: Chapter 1?
3. What does Emily suspect happened to Sarah?
4. How do Emily and Sarah plan to pay for a big expense in Part 2: Chapter 4?
5. What does Emily try to remember at the beginning of Part 2: Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the party that Emily attends thrown by a friend in Part 3: Chapter 3.
2. What does Emily do to help Sarah in Part 2: Chapter 4?
3. What does Emily learn about Sarah in Part 2: Chapter 4?
4. Discuss Emily's reaction to the masturbation studio.
5. Why do you think that Emily tells her lovers about her sister's misfortunes?
6. Who is Michael Hogan?
7. Why does Emily call Peter in Part 3: Chapter 3?
8. Why does Emily refuse to help Sarah when she thinks about leaving Tony?
9. What are Sarah and Tony's sons doing in Part 3: Chapter 1?
10. Do you consider Emily to be successful in Part 2: Chapters 3 and 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose either Sarah or Emily and examine her relationship with Pookie. Is their relationship stereotypical of a mother/daughter relationship? If not, how does it differ?
Essay Topic 2
As a child, Emily feels inadequate compared to Sarah. How does this feeling of inadequacy extend into adulthood? What can be said for sibling rivalry in The Easter Parade?
Essay Topic 3
At the end of the novel, Emily visits Peter, who relays to her that Sarah saw Emily as the one who got her freedom. At what cost does this freedom come? Explain the concept of freedom in The Easter Parade and show whether or not Emily achieved the freedom her generation desired.
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)