|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Emily working in 1965?
2. What does Emily discover about her sister in Part 2: Chapter 4?
3. Why is Emily not interested in the party she is invited to in Part 3: Chapter 3?
4. Who does Emily think Sarah resembles in Part 3: Chapter 1?
5. Why is Sarah in the hospital in Part 3: Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Emily call Peter in Part 3: Chapter 3?
2. Why does it appear that this relationship between Howard and Emily will not work?
3. What does it say about Emily that she is committed to Howard Dunninger?
4. Why does Sarah call Emily in Part 2: Chapter 3? What does Emily do as a result of this call?
5. What does Emily learn about Sarah in Part 2: Chapter 4?
6. Discuss Emily's feelings of loneliness in Part 3: Chapter 3.
7. What is happening career-wise for Emily in Part 3: Chapter 3?
8. Do you agree with Emily that Tony killed Sarah or do you disagree?
9. Describe the party that Emily attends thrown by a friend in Part 3: Chapter 3.
10. Why does Emily refuse to help Sarah when she thinks about leaving Tony?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Yates choose Emily to be the narrator? What is achieved by making Emily the narrator? Are there any advantages? Disadvantages?
Essay Topic 2
Who is your favorite character? Why do you like this character? Use at least three examples from the text. Who is your least favorite character? Why?
Essay Topic 3
The opening of the novel reads, "Neither of the Grimes sister would have a happy life, and looking back it always seemed that the trouble began with their parents' divorce." Discuss the opening line in relation to the entirety of the novel. How does this first line set up the tone for the novel? What is meant by having a "happy life"?
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)