|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Emily call Peter in Part 3: Chapter 3?
2. When do Emily and Howard visit Sarah?
3. How do critics respond to Jack's latest book in Part 2: Chapter 4?
4. Who invites Emily to a party in Part 3: Chapter 3?
5. What does Emily suspect happened to Sarah?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Emily do concerning her suspicions concerning Sarah's death?
2. Why is Pookie hospitalized?
3. Why does Emily suddenly remember what happened the night of the party?
4. What are Sarah and Tony's sons doing in Part 3: Chapter 1?
5. Describe the party that Emily attends thrown by a friend in Part 3: Chapter 3.
6. Why does Emily refuse to help Sarah when she thinks about leaving Tony?
7. What does it say about Emily that she is committed to Howard Dunninger?
8. What happens as a result of Emily's refusal to help Sarah when she considers leaving Tony?
9. Discuss Emily's reaction to the masturbation studio.
10. Do you consider Emily to be successful in Part 2: Chapters 3 and 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Yates choose Emily to be the narrator? What is achieved by making Emily the narrator? Are there any advantages? Disadvantages?
Essay Topic 2
The opening of the novel reads, "Neither of the Grimes sister would have a happy life, and looking back it always seemed that the trouble began with their parents' divorce." Discuss the opening line in relation to the entirety of the novel. How does this first line set up the tone for the novel? What is meant by having a "happy life"?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss time. Yates starts in Tenafly, NY in the 1930s and travels decades over the course of the novel. The novel, just over 200 pages, spans nearly the entirety of Emily and Sarah's lives. Which parts could have been sped up? Slowed down?
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)