|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the poems about in the book Jack publishes in Part 2: Chapter 4?
2. What kind of studio does the neighbor of the party host run in Part 3: Chapter 3?
3. How long does Emily spend without a job?
4. How does Peter respond to Emily's threats in Part 3: Chapter 3?
5. Why does Sarah travel to New York in Part 2: Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do you consider Emily to be successful in Part 2: Chapters 3 and 4?
2. What is Peter's reaction to Emily's outburst in the car on the way to his house?
3. What does Emily do to help Sarah in Part 2: Chapter 4?
4. Why is Pookie hospitalized?
5. Discuss Emily's reaction to the masturbation studio.
6. Would you say that Sarah is happy in Part 2 of the novel?
7. What does Emily learn about Sarah in Part 2: Chapter 4?
8. What does it say about Emily that she is committed to Howard Dunninger?
9. Do you agree with Emily that Tony killed Sarah or do you disagree?
10. What happens with Emily and Howard's relationship at the end of Part 3: Chapter 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Emily places importance on her love life. Discuss Emily's romantic interludes, making sure to focus on one or two of her lovers in particular. What are her suitors like? Why is Emily so unlucky in love?
Essay Topic 2
Emily is an optimistic character. Even though her parents are divorced, she remains hopeful that they will get back together. What does this hopefulness do for her? Does she retain this optimism for her entire life? Select no less than two scenes that exhibit hopefulness and her optimism.
Essay Topic 3
Compare the characters of Emily and Sarah.
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)