|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Emily at the beginning of Part 2?
2. What does Sarah wear to the Easter Parade?
3. What does the letter Emily receives in Part 2: Chapter 2 say that Pookie has lost?
4. What is the relationship between Emily and Sarah?
5. Whom does the space that Pookie moves to belong to?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Emily disappointed with Jack after they move to a new place?
2. In Part 1: Chapter 3, Emily decides to go to a movie alone. What happens instead?
3. Do Emily and Andrew have a happy marriage?
4. Why does Pookie want to be close to Tony's parents?
5. What happens when Emily and Jack return to Iowa City?
6. Why are the first two chapters of Part 1 of The Easter Parade told in an authorial voice versus a character serving as the narrator?
7. Describe Jack and Emily's relationship.
8. What happens for Emily in the year break Andrew takes from their relationship?
9. In Part 1: Chapters 1 through 2, what are the differences between Emily and Sarah?
10. Why is divorce a subject of Part 1: Chapters 1-2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do you believe that Tony killed Sarah? First, explain the circumstances leading up to Sarah's death and what happened after her death.
Essay Topic 2
Why does Yates choose Emily to be the narrator? What is achieved by making Emily the narrator? Are there any advantages? Disadvantages?
Essay Topic 3
What are the family dynamics in The Easter Parade? Compare family life from the beginning of the text to the end. Compare the Grimes family to the Wilson family.
This section contains 780 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)