|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Emily frightened of when Sarah tells her she is going to a game?
2. What does Pookie do at Sarah and Tony's wedding?
3. Who is Jack Flanders?
4. How does Emily react to Jack's book?
5. What does Emily begin writing an article about at the beginning of Part 2: Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do you consider Emily to be successful in Part 2: Chapters 3 and 4?
2. There are several references to alcohol and alcoholism in Part 1: Chapters 3 and 4. What are some of those references?
3. In Part 1: Chapter 2, why does Sarah's father, Walter Grimes, disapprove of his daughter's engagement?
4. Why is Emily disappointed with the trip she and Jack take to Europe?
5. Describe Jack and Emily's relationship.
6. Why is Pookie hospitalized?
7. Why does Emily refuse to help Sarah when she thinks about leaving Tony?
8. Do you agree with Emily that Tony killed Sarah or do you disagree?
9. Why does Emily call Peter in Part 3: Chapter 3?
10. Is there a rivalry between the two Grimes sisters?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is place important? Emily begins in Tenafly, NY in the 1930s and moves throughout the novel. On the other hand, Sarah remains fairly stagnant, even avoiding going to Montana because of distance. Discuss movement, traveling, and the fear of leaving in The Easter Parade.
Essay Topic 2
Who is your favorite character? Why do you like this character? Use at least three examples from the text. Who is your least favorite character? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Choose either Sarah or Emily and examine her relationship with Pookie. Is their relationship stereotypical of a mother/daughter relationship? If not, how does it differ?
This section contains 1,306 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)