|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tony Wilson wear to the Easter Parade?
2. What does Walter do during the outing with Emily to celebrate news of her scholarship?
3. What does Walter Grimes die of?
4. Which college does Emily receive a scholarship to?
5. In Part 1: Chapter 1, where do Emily and Sarah go to visit their father?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Jack and Emily's relationship.
2. What happens for Emily in the year break Andrew takes from their relationship?
3. Why are the first two chapters of Part 1 of The Easter Parade told in an authorial voice versus a character serving as the narrator?
4. Do Emily and Andrew have a happy marriage?
5. In Part 1: Chapter 3, in what ways does it become clear to the reader that Emily is now the narrating character?
6. In Part 1: Chapters 1 through 2, what are the differences between Emily and Sarah?
7. Describe Pookie and Emily's visit to the country cottage where Sarah lives in Part 1: Chapter 3.
8. How does Sarah injure herself in Part 1: Chapter 1?
9. What does Emily learn in a letter from Sarah?
10. In Part 1: Chapter 4, the differences between Emily and Sarah become more apparent. Describe those differences.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Alcohol plays a major role in The Easter Parade, causing fighting and injuries, hurting people, and inhibiting successful lives. Choose one character from the text and discuss how alcohol has impacted his or her life.
Essay Topic 2
Why does Yates choose Emily to be the narrator? What is achieved by making Emily the narrator? Are there any advantages? Disadvantages?
Essay Topic 3
Choose either Sarah or Emily and examine her relationship with Pookie. Is their relationship stereotypical of a mother/daughter relationship? If not, how does it differ?
This section contains 849 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)