|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Walter do during the outing with Emily to celebrate news of her scholarship?
2. Why does the relationship between Emily and the merchant seaman end?
3. What does Walter Grimes die of?
4. How is Sarah injured when Pookie leaves her with a neighbor?
5. What do Emily and Jack do under a tree in Part 2: Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part 1: Chapters 1 through 2, what are the differences between Emily and Sarah?
2. In Part 1: Chapter 2, why does Sarah's father, Walter Grimes, disapprove of his daughter's engagement?
3. Who is Howard Dunninger?
4. Do Emily and Andrew have a happy marriage?
5. What happens at Sarah's funeral and reception?
6. Who is Michael Hogan?
7. Describe the party that Emily attends thrown by a friend in Part 3: Chapter 3.
8. What does Emily learn about Sarah in Part 2: Chapter 4?
9. In Part 1: Chapter 2, why is Emily scolded for being childish?
10. How does Emily compare herself to Peter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is place important? Emily begins in Tenafly, NY in the 1930s and moves throughout the novel. On the other hand, Sarah remains fairly stagnant, even avoiding going to Montana because of distance. Discuss movement, traveling, and the fear of leaving in The Easter Parade.
Essay Topic 2
How are male characters portrayed in The Easter Parade? Compare two to three male characters to the female characters in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
As a child, Emily feels inadequate compared to Sarah. How does this feeling of inadequacy extend into adulthood? What can be said for sibling rivalry in The Easter Parade?
This section contains 1,355 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)