|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who do Jack and Emily visit in Part 2: Chapter 1?
2. What do Emily and Sarah have to contend with Pookie about?
3. Who does Jack believe is his rival?
4. Where does Emily's father take her to celebrate the news of the scholarship?
5. What does Emily learn about Jack's past?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Michael Hogan?
2. Why does Sarah call Emily in Part 2: Chapter 3? What does Emily do as a result of this call?
3. Describe Emily and Sarah's relationship in Part 2: Chapter 1.
4. In Part 1: Chapter 2, why does Sarah's father, Walter Grimes, disapprove of his daughter's engagement?
5. Is there a rivalry between the two Grimes sisters?
6. Describe Andrew and Emily's relationship in Part 1: Chapter 4.
7. What happens for Emily in the year break Andrew takes from their relationship?
8. Why does Emily suddenly remember what happened the night of the party?
9. Why is Emily's success with her career and work ethic impressive?
10. Why does Emily call Peter in Part 3: Chapter 3?
Essay Topic 1
At the end of the novel, Emily visits Peter, who relays to her that Sarah saw Emily as the one who got her freedom. At what cost does this freedom come? Explain the concept of freedom in The Easter Parade and show whether or not Emily achieved the freedom her generation desired.
Essay Topic 2
Why does Yates choose Emily to be the narrator? What is achieved by making Emily the narrator? Are there any advantages? Disadvantages?
Essay Topic 3
How does Emily change throughout the novel? Cite two to three examples to argue your point. If you believe she does not change, how so?
This section contains 1,286 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)