|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Emily and the soldier go to Central Park where Emily loses what?
2. Where is Sarah's scar located?
3. Where is Sarah when she is injured when Pookie leaves her with a neighbor?
4. Who does Emily travel with at the end of Part 2: Chapter 2?
5. What do Emily and Jack begin to do soon after they meet?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Emily learn in a letter from Sarah?
2. In Part 1: Chapter 3, in what ways does it become clear to the reader that Emily is now the narrating character?
3. Why does Pookie want to be close to Tony's parents?
4. In Part 1: Chapter 2, why does Sarah's father, Walter Grimes, disapprove of his daughter's engagement?
5. Why is Emily's success with her career and work ethic impressive?
6. Why is Emily disappointed with Jack after they move to a new place?
7. Describe Emily and Sarah's relationship in Part 2: Chapter 1.
8. Why are the first two chapters of Part 1 of The Easter Parade told in an authorial voice versus a character serving as the narrator?
9. Describe what happens when Emily and Jack visit Sarah and her family.
10. Do Emily and Andrew have a happy marriage?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Emily change throughout the novel? Cite two to three examples to argue your point. If you believe she does not change, how so?
Essay Topic 2
Abuse plays a major role in The Easter Parade. Discuss abuse in the novel, looking at both emotional and physical. Choose one character and explore how abuse has shaped his or her life.
Essay Topic 3
Alcohol plays a major role in The Easter Parade, causing fighting and injuries, hurting people, and inhibiting successful lives. Choose one character from the text and discuss how alcohol has impacted his or her life.
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)