|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Emily and Jack do under a tree in Part 2: Chapter 2?
2. What is Emily's mood after Jack and Emily move?
3. Who does Jack believe is his rival?
4. What is the first location mentioned in the novel?
5. Why is Emily worried at her father's funeral?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Emily disappointed with Jack after they move to a new place?
2. In Part 1: Chapter 2, why is Emily scolded for being childish?
3. Why is divorce a subject of Part 1: Chapters 1-2?
4. In Part 1: Chapter 2, why does Sarah's father, Walter Grimes, disapprove of his daughter's engagement?
5. Describe Jack and Emily's relationship.
6. There are several references to alcohol and alcoholism in Part 1: Chapters 3 and 4. What are some of those references?
7. What does Emily learn in a letter from Sarah?
8. What is Sarah trying to write a book about?
9. Do Emily and Andrew have a happy marriage?
10. What are the negative effects of choosing an authorial voice versus a character as narrator?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Yates choose Emily to be the narrator? What is achieved by making Emily the narrator? Are there any advantages? Disadvantages?
Essay Topic 2
Choose either Sarah or Emily and examine her relationship with Pookie. Is their relationship stereotypical of a mother/daughter relationship? If not, how does it differ?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss time. Yates starts in Tenafly, NY in the 1930s and travels decades over the course of the novel. The novel, just over 200 pages, spans nearly the entirety of Emily and Sarah's lives. Which parts could have been sped up? Slowed down?
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)