|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Emily get home from school?
2. What happens to Andrew and Emily at the end of Chapter 4?
3. What is Emily's mood after Jack and Emily move?
4. Who is Harold Schneider?
5. What does Sarah tell Emily that she has a talent for?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is divorce a subject of Part 1: Chapters 1-2?
2. Describe what happens when Emily and Jack visit Sarah and her family.
3. There are several references to alcohol and alcoholism in Part 1: Chapters 3 and 4. What are some of those references?
4. How does Sarah injure herself in Part 1: Chapter 1?
5. What happens for Emily in the year break Andrew takes from their relationship?
6. What happens career-wise for Emily in Part 2: Chapter 1?
7. What is Jack's temperament like in Part 2: Chapter 2?
8. Why is Emily disappointed with Jack after they move to a new place?
9. How can all of the writers as characters be described in Part 2: Chapter 2?
10. What does Tony think of Sarah's writing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Abuse plays a major role in The Easter Parade. Discuss abuse in the novel, looking at both emotional and physical. Choose one character and explore how abuse has shaped his or her life.
Essay Topic 2
Is place important? Emily begins in Tenafly, NY in the 1930s and moves throughout the novel. On the other hand, Sarah remains fairly stagnant, even avoiding going to Montana because of distance. Discuss movement, traveling, and the fear of leaving in The Easter Parade.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss time. Yates starts in Tenafly, NY in the 1930s and travels decades over the course of the novel. The novel, just over 200 pages, spans nearly the entirety of Emily and Sarah's lives. Which parts could have been sped up? Slowed down?
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)