|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Emily take her first job after graduating from college?
2. After what length of time does Andrew say he will call Emily?
3. How is Sarah injured when Pookie leaves her with a neighbor?
4. Where does Emily live before she goes to college?
5. What does Sarah tell Emily that she has a talent for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Emily learn in a letter from Sarah?
2. What happens career-wise for Emily in Part 2: Chapter 1?
3. Is there a rivalry between the two Grimes sisters?
4. Why is Emily's success with her career and work ethic impressive?
5. Describe what happens when Emily and Jack visit Sarah and her family.
6. What are the negative effects of choosing an authorial voice versus a character as narrator?
7. Describe Jack and Emily's relationship.
8. In Part 1: Chapter 3, Emily decides to go to a movie alone. What happens instead?
9. What happens for Emily in the year break Andrew takes from their relationship?
10. What does Tony think of Sarah's writing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Several characters in The Easter Parade are writers. What are their attitudes towards writing? Are they successful as writers? Do they share any of the same traits? Discuss writers as characters.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss time. Yates starts in Tenafly, NY in the 1930s and travels decades over the course of the novel. The novel, just over 200 pages, spans nearly the entirety of Emily and Sarah's lives. Which parts could have been sped up? Slowed down?
Essay Topic 3
As a child, Emily feels inadequate compared to Sarah. How does this feeling of inadequacy extend into adulthood? What can be said for sibling rivalry in The Easter Parade?
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)