|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of company does Emily work for?
2. Whom does Emily get a letter from in Part 2: Chapter 2?
3. What does Emily learn about Jack's past?
4. Where is Sarah's scar located?
5. What does Emily explain to the neighborhood children?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Sarah trying to write a book about?
2. Is there a rivalry between the two Grimes sisters?
3. In Part 1: Chapter 3, in what ways does it become clear to the reader that Emily is now the narrating character?
4. What is happening career-wise for Emily in Part 3: Chapter 3?
5. What happens as a result of Emily's refusal to help Sarah when she considers leaving Tony?
6. Why does Emily suddenly remember what happened the night of the party?
7. Why does Sarah call Emily in Part 2: Chapter 3? What does Emily do as a result of this call?
8. Describe Andrew and Emily's relationship in Part 1: Chapter 4.
9. Why is divorce a subject of Part 1: Chapters 1-2?
10. Describe Pookie and Emily's visit to the country cottage where Sarah lives in Part 1: Chapter 3.
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of the Easter Parade Sarah and Tony attend in Part 1? Discuss it's context in relation to the rest of the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Is place important? Emily begins in Tenafly, NY in the 1930s and moves throughout the novel. On the other hand, Sarah remains fairly stagnant, even avoiding going to Montana because of distance. Discuss movement, traveling, and the fear of leaving in The Easter Parade.
Essay Topic 3
Several characters in The Easter Parade are writers. What are their attitudes towards writing? Are they successful as writers? Do they share any of the same traits? Discuss writers as characters.
This section contains 1,359 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)