|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Emily take her first job after graduating from college?
2. What does Sarah tell Emily that she has a talent for?
3. What does Jack ask Emily to do in Part 2: Chapter 1?
4. What happens to Andrew and Emily at the end of Chapter 4?
5. Who do Jack and Emily visit in Part 2: Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. There are several references to alcohol and alcoholism in Part 1: Chapters 3 and 4. What are some of those references?
2. Who is Jack Flanders?
3. In Part 1: Chapter 3, in what ways does it become clear to the reader that Emily is now the narrating character?
4. Describe Andrew and Emily's relationship in Part 1: Chapter 4.
5. What does Emily learn in a letter from Sarah?
6. What is Sarah trying to write a book about?
7. Why is Emily disappointed with Jack after they move to a new place?
8. Is there a rivalry between the two Grimes sisters?
9. Why is Emily's success with her career and work ethic impressive?
10. Discuss what happens with Jack and his poetry in Part 2: Chapter 2.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the end of the novel, Emily visits Peter, who relays to her that Sarah saw Emily as the one who got her freedom. At what cost does this freedom come? Explain the concept of freedom in The Easter Parade and show whether or not Emily achieved the freedom her generation desired.
Essay Topic 2
Death is an inevitable part of life for the Grimes family and several funerals are attended over the course of the novel. Discuss death in the novel, focusing not only on the literal meaning.
Essay Topic 3
Why does Yates choose Emily to be the narrator? What is achieved by making Emily the narrator? Are there any advantages? Disadvantages?
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)