|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Emily and Sarah's father's profession?
2. What is the relationship between Pookie and Sarah?
3. Where does Emily live before she goes to college?
4. After what length of time does Andrew say he will call Emily?
5. Where does Emily's father take her to celebrate the news of the scholarship?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Emily learn in a letter from Sarah?
2. Why are the first two chapters of Part 1 of The Easter Parade told in an authorial voice versus a character serving as the narrator?
3. What are the negative effects of choosing an authorial voice versus a character as narrator?
4. Why is Emily's success with her career and work ethic impressive?
5. Why is divorce a subject of Part 1: Chapters 1-2?
6. Describe Pookie and Emily's visit to the country cottage where Sarah lives in Part 1: Chapter 3.
7. Is there a rivalry between the two Grimes sisters?
8. What is Jack's temperament like in Part 2: Chapter 2?
9. In Part 1: Chapter 3, Emily decides to go to a movie alone. What happens instead?
10. Describe Andrew and Emily's relationship in Part 1: Chapter 4.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Alcohol plays a major role in The Easter Parade, causing fighting and injuries, hurting people, and inhibiting successful lives. Choose one character from the text and discuss how alcohol has impacted his or her life.
Essay Topic 2
Several characters in The Easter Parade are writers. What are their attitudes towards writing? Are they successful as writers? Do they share any of the same traits? Discuss writers as characters.
Essay Topic 3
How does Emily change throughout the novel? Cite two to three examples to argue your point. If you believe she does not change, how so?
This section contains 845 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)