|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sarah tell Emily that she has a talent for?
2. What does Sarah explain to Emily in Part 1:Chapter 2 when they are eating Popsicles?
3. What is Emily's mood after Jack and Emily move?
4. What does Walter Grimes die of?
5. Where does Emily's father take her to celebrate the news of the scholarship?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what happens when Emily and Jack visit Sarah and her family.
2. Why are the first two chapters of Part 1 of The Easter Parade told in an authorial voice versus a character serving as the narrator?
3. What happens at Sarah's funeral and reception?
4. Why is divorce a subject of Part 1: Chapters 1-2?
5. How can all of the writers as characters be described in Part 2: Chapter 2?
6. How does Emily compare herself to Peter?
7. There are several references to alcohol and alcoholism in Part 1: Chapters 3 and 4. What are some of those references?
8. Why does Pookie want to be close to Tony's parents?
9. What does Emily do to help Sarah in Part 2: Chapter 4?
10. What happens career-wise for Emily in Part 2: Chapter 1?
Essay Topic 1
Do you believe that Tony killed Sarah? First, explain the circumstances leading up to Sarah's death and what happened after her death.
Essay Topic 2
The opening of the novel reads, "Neither of the Grimes sister would have a happy life, and looking back it always seemed that the trouble began with their parents' divorce." Discuss the opening line in relation to the entirety of the novel. How does this first line set up the tone for the novel? What is meant by having a "happy life"?
Essay Topic 3
What are the family dynamics in The Easter Parade? Compare family life from the beginning of the text to the end. Compare the Grimes family to the Wilson family.
This section contains 1,332 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)