|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Emily begin writing an article about at the beginning of Part 2: Chapter 2?
2. Who is Jack Flanders?
3. Who is Tony Wilson?
4. What type of company does Emily work for?
5. Why does the trip Jack takes Emily on turn sour?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Jack Flanders?
2. Why is divorce a subject of Part 1: Chapters 1-2?
3. There are several references to alcohol and alcoholism in Part 1: Chapters 3 and 4. What are some of those references?
4. In Part 1: Chapter 2, why does Sarah's father, Walter Grimes, disapprove of his daughter's engagement?
5. What is Sarah trying to write a book about?
6. In Part 1: Chapter 3, in what ways does it become clear to the reader that Emily is now the narrating character?
7. Describe what happens when Emily and Jack visit Sarah and her family.
8. How does Sarah injure herself in Part 1: Chapter 1?
9. What happens when Emily and Jack return to Iowa City?
10. What happens for Emily in the year break Andrew takes from their relationship?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare the characters of Emily and Sarah.
Essay Topic 2
Who is your favorite character? Why do you like this character? Use at least three examples from the text. Who is your least favorite character? Why?
Essay Topic 3
How does Emily change throughout the novel? Cite two to three examples to argue your point. If you believe she does not change, how so?
This section contains 706 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)