|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What state is Sarah planning to do research in for her project?
(d) New York.
2. What does Tony's mother propose they name their estate?
(a) Fair Hedges.
(b) Great Hedges.
(c) Lilac Estate.
(d) Great Falls.
3. Who does Sarah meet at her first job after graduation from high school?
(a) A newspaper journalist who decides to write a story about her.
(b) Her future husband.
(c) The mayor and he offers her a job.
(d) A movie star, who autographs a picture for her.
4. Who does Jack believe is his rival?
(a) Another poet working at his university.
(b) A poet from New York.
5. How does Emily react to the news of Sarah's project?
(a) She is negative.
(b) She is impressed.
(c) She cries.
(d) She ignores Sarah.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of Emily's qualities is Andrew Crawford impressed by?
2. What is Emily's mood after Jack and Emily move?
3. What does Walter Grimes die of?
4. What is Emily frightened of when Sarah tells her she is going to a game?
5. What does the letter Emily receives in Part 2: Chapter 2 say that Pookie has lost?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Emily's success with her career and work ethic impressive?
2. Describe Pookie and Emily's visit to the country cottage where Sarah lives in Part 1: Chapter 3.
3. What is Sarah trying to write a book about?
4. Why does Pookie want to be close to Tony's parents?
5. Why is Emily disappointed with Jack after they move to a new place?
6. Who is Jack Flanders?
7. What is Jack's temperament like in Part 2: Chapter 2?
8. There are several references to alcohol and alcoholism in Part 1: Chapters 3 and 4. What are some of those references?
9. Do Emily and Andrew have a happy marriage?
10. In Part 1: Chapter 2, why is Emily scolded for being childish?
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)