|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Emily postpone her decision near the end of Part 2: Chapter 2?
(a) Jack has an attack of self-doubt.
(b) Sarah tells her not to come.
(c) Jack asks her to stay.
(d) Emily's is not confident in her writing.
2. Who do Jack and Emily visit in Part 2: Chapter 1?
3. Whom does Emily get a letter from in Part 2: Chapter 2?
4. Why does Sarah abandon the book she was working on?
(a) Because she is no longer interested in the subject.
(b) Because her husband tells her it's a dumb idea.
(c) Because Emily is not supportive.
(d) Because she would have to travel to Montana.
5. Which of Emily's qualities is Andrew Crawford impressed by?
(a) Her loyalty and intelligence.
(b) Emily's humor and courage.
(c) Emily's loyalty and optimism.
(d) Her courage and intelligence.
Short Answer Questions
1. On which holiday does Emily eavesdrop on her parents?
2. In which city do Jack and Emily purchase a house?
3. Sarah and Tony get married in what season of 1941?
4. Who is Harold Schneider?
5. Where does Emily live before she goes to college?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Jack's temperament like in Part 2: Chapter 2?
2. Describe Jack and Emily's relationship.
3. What happens career-wise for Emily in Part 2: Chapter 1?
4. Why does Pookie want to be close to Tony's parents?
5. Describe what happens when Emily and Jack visit Sarah and her family.
6. What are the negative effects of choosing an authorial voice versus a character as narrator?
7. What happens when Emily and Jack return to Iowa City?
8. Why is Emily's success with her career and work ethic impressive?
9. In Part 1: Chapter 2, why does Sarah's father, Walter Grimes, disapprove of his daughter's engagement?
10. What happens for Emily in the year break Andrew takes from their relationship?
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)