|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who becomes pregnant in Chapter 4?
(d) Tony's mother.
2. How many children does Sarah have?
(a) Four sons.
(b) Three daughters.
(c) Three sons.
(d) Two sons.
3. Why does Emily find Jack's book difficult?
(a) She finds the language to be obtuse.
(b) She discovers that Jack uses a lot of French in poetry.
(c) Jack does not use punctuation in his writing.
(d) She is not a fan of poetry.
4. What is Emily's mood after Jack and Emily move?
(b) Bored and frustrated.
5. Who do Jack and Emily visit in Part 2: Chapter 1?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the trip Jack takes Emily on turn sour?
2. Why does Sarah begin going into the city once a week?
3. How does Emily react to Jack's book?
4. Why does Emily postpone her decision near the end of Part 2: Chapter 2?
5. Why does Emily seek a divorce from her husband after only a few months of marriage?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part 1: Chapter 3, Emily decides to go to a movie alone. What happens instead?
2. Describe Emily and Sarah's relationship in Part 2: Chapter 1.
3. Why is divorce a subject of Part 1: Chapters 1-2?
4. Why is Emily's success with her career and work ethic impressive?
5. What happens for Emily in the year break Andrew takes from their relationship?
6. What does Tony think of Sarah's writing?
7. What does Emily learn in a letter from Sarah?
8. In Part 1: Chapters 1 through 2, what are the differences between Emily and Sarah?
9. How does Sarah injure herself in Part 1: Chapter 1?
10. Describe Pookie and Emily's visit to the country cottage where Sarah lives in Part 1: Chapter 3.
This section contains 834 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)