|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Emily take her first job after graduating from college?
(a) Emily believes it is a door into reporting.
(b) She is interested in sales.
(c) She believes it is a door into the world of magazine writing.
(d) She wants to report the news.
2. What is Emily frightened of when Sarah tells her she is going to a game?
(a) Emily is scared of the basement.
(b) She is frightened of being home alone.
(c) She is frightened getting into trouble.
(d) Emily is scared of her neighbor's dog.
3. In Part 1: Chapter 1, where do Emily and Sarah go to visit their father?
(a) To an apartment one street over.
(b) The local museum.
(c) The newspaper.
(d) Miami, FL.
4. What does Emily learn about Jack's past?
(a) That he has been married before.
(b) That he ran away from home at age 9.
(c) That he spent the last five years in jail.
(d) That he is a published poet.
5. What does Tony's mother propose they name their estate?
(a) Great Hedges.
(b) Lilac Estate.
(c) Great Falls.
(d) Fair Hedges.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Jack believe is his rival?
2. After Sarah graduates from high school, she gets a job working where?
3. What does Walter Grimes die of?
4. How is Sarah injured when Pookie leaves her with a neighbor?
5. On which holiday does Emily eavesdrop on her parents?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Jack and Emily's relationship.
2. Describe what happens when Emily and Jack visit Sarah and her family.
3. What does Emily learn in a letter from Sarah?
4. What does Tony think of Sarah's writing?
5. In Part 1: Chapter 4, the differences between Emily and Sarah become more apparent. Describe those differences.
6. What happens career-wise for Emily in Part 2: Chapter 1?
7. Is there a rivalry between the two Grimes sisters?
8. Why is Emily disappointed with Jack after they move to a new place?
9. Describe Pookie and Emily's visit to the country cottage where Sarah lives in Part 1: Chapter 3.
10. In Part 1: Chapter 3, Emily decides to go to a movie alone. What happens instead?
This section contains 812 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)