|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the trip Jack takes Emily on turn sour?
(a) Jack loses his wallet.
(b) Emily wanted to go somewhere else.
(c) Jack keeps making comparisons with a prior trip.
(d) Their flights are cancelled.
2. What is Emily's mood after Jack and Emily move?
(d) Bored and frustrated.
3. What is the first location mentioned in the novel?
(a) Miami, FL.
(b) Pittsburgh, PA.
(c) Tenafly, NY.
(d) Sacramento, CA.
4. Who does Pookie flirt with at Sarah and Tony's wedding?
(a) On Tony.
(b) The minister.
(c) The groom's father.
(d) The groom's brother.
5. Who does Emily travel with at the end of Part 2: Chapter 2?
(a) With Pookie.
(b) She travels alone.
(c) With Jack.
(d) With Sarah.
Short Answer Questions
1. On which holiday does Emily eavesdrop on her parents?
2. What does Jack do with his current poetry?
3. Who does Jack believe is his rival?
4. Why does Emily take her first job after graduating from college?
5. What do Emily and Jack do under a tree in Part 2: Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is divorce a subject of Part 1: Chapters 1-2?
2. How does Sarah injure herself in Part 1: Chapter 1?
3. In Part 1: Chapters 1 through 2, what are the differences between Emily and Sarah?
4. In Part 1: Chapter 2, why is Emily scolded for being childish?
5. Why does Pookie want to be close to Tony's parents?
6. What are the negative effects of choosing an authorial voice versus a character as narrator?
7. In Part 1: Chapter 4, the differences between Emily and Sarah become more apparent. Describe those differences.
8. Describe Emily and Sarah's relationship in Part 2: Chapter 1.
9. Is there a rivalry between the two Grimes sisters?
10. Who is Jack Flanders?
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)