|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Emily explain to the neighborhood children?
(b) The Easter Bunny.
(c) The color of the sky.
2. Why does the relationship between Emily and the merchant seaman end?
(a) He wife returns.
(b) He is called to work.
(c) Emily is no longer interested in him.
(d) He decides he wants to explore homosexuality.
3. What happens to Andrew and Emily at the end of Chapter 4?
(a) They get married.
(b) They get divorced.
(c) They attend church together.
(d) They go to an amusement park together.
4. Who is Harold Schneider?
(a) Sarah's boyfriend.
(b) Pookie's boyfriend.
(c) Emily's friend from next door.
(d) The newspaper delivery boy.
5. Where is Sarah working when she is required to attend the Easter Parade?
(a) At the mayor's office.
(b) At a newspaper.
(c) On a campaign.
(d) For United China Relief
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Emily go at the end of Part 2: Chapter 2?
2. Where does Pookie move in Part 2: Chapter 2?
3. What does the letter Emily receives in Part 2: Chapter 2 say that Pookie has lost?
4. What does Tony Wilson wear to the Easter Parade?
5. What is Andrew embarrassed about in his relationship with Emily?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss what happens with Jack and his poetry in Part 2: Chapter 2.
2. What are the negative effects of choosing an authorial voice versus a character as narrator?
3. Why is Emily disappointed with the trip she and Jack take to Europe?
4. What happens when Emily and Jack return to Iowa City?
5. Describe Pookie and Emily's visit to the country cottage where Sarah lives in Part 1: Chapter 3.
6. How can all of the writers as characters be described in Part 2: Chapter 2?
7. In Part 1: Chapters 1 through 2, what are the differences between Emily and Sarah?
8. There are several references to alcohol and alcoholism in Part 1: Chapters 3 and 4. What are some of those references?
9. What is Jack's temperament like in Part 2: Chapter 2?
10. Describe Andrew and Emily's relationship in Part 1: Chapter 4.
This section contains 829 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)