|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Emily not finish her article she is working on in Part 2: Chapter 2?
(a) Her typewriter breaks.
(b) She wants to write a book instead.
(c) She is not confident in her writing.
(d) She loses interest.
2. Why did Jack Flanders leave his old profession?
(a) To escape the world of academia.
(b) He was fired.
(c) To escape the world of business deals.
(d) He moved abroad.
3. What happens prior to Emily's decision to divorce her husband?
(a) Emily visits Tony and Sarah.
(b) Emily publishes a book.
(c) She visits her mother.
(d) Emily travels to Europe.
4. What does Jack do with his current poetry?
(a) He calls his agent.
(b) Jack recites it for his class.
(c) He refuses to allow Emily to read it.
(d) He asks Emily to read it.
5. Why does Emily move with Jack?
(a) In hopes of enriching their relationship and getting married.
(b) Jack asks her to marry him.
(c) Emily moves because she wants to write a book.
(d) She is offered a job.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 1: Chapter 1, where do Emily and Sarah go to visit their father?
2. Who does Sarah meet at her first job after graduation from high school?
3. What state is Sarah planning to do research in for her project?
4. Whom does the space that Pookie moves to belong to?
5. What is Andrew embarrassed about in his relationship with Emily?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Emily and Jack return to Iowa City?
2. There are several references to alcohol and alcoholism in Part 1: Chapters 3 and 4. What are some of those references?
3. Who is Jack Flanders?
4. Describe Andrew and Emily's relationship in Part 1: Chapter 4.
5. What happens for Emily in the year break Andrew takes from their relationship?
6. What does Tony think of Sarah's writing?
7. What happens career-wise for Emily in Part 2: Chapter 1?
8. In Part 1: Chapter 4, the differences between Emily and Sarah become more apparent. Describe those differences.
9. Describe Jack and Emily's relationship.
10. In Part 1: Chapter 2, why does Sarah's father, Walter Grimes, disapprove of his daughter's engagement?
This section contains 802 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)