|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom does the space that Pookie moves to belong to?
(a) Jack's parents.
(b) Walter's mistress.
(c) Tony's parents.
(d) Tony's sister.
2. Emily and the soldier go to Central Park where Emily loses what?
(a) Her shoe.
(b) Her virginity.
(c) Her wallet.
(d) Her sunglasses.
3. What do Emily and Jack do under a tree in Part 2: Chapter 2?
(a) Write a poem together.
(b) Talk about their future.
(c) Make love.
(d) Eat a picnic.
4. Who does Pookie flirt with at Sarah and Tony's wedding?
(a) The minister.
(b) On Tony.
(c) The groom's brother.
(d) The groom's father.
5. Who is Tony Wilson?
(a) Sarah's boss.
(b) The mayor.
(c) The upstairs neighbor's son.
(d) A local celebrity.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Pookie do at Sarah and Tony's wedding?
2. What does Walter Grimes die of?
3. Who is Jack Flanders?
4. What does Sarah's son, Peter, want to be when he grows up?
5. Why does the relationship between Emily and the merchant seaman end?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part 1: Chapters 1 through 2, what are the differences between Emily and Sarah?
2. In Part 1: Chapter 3, in what ways does it become clear to the reader that Emily is now the narrating character?
3. Describe Jack and Emily's relationship.
4. Describe Pookie and Emily's visit to the country cottage where Sarah lives in Part 1: Chapter 3.
5. Do Emily and Andrew have a happy marriage?
6. In Part 1: Chapter 2, why does Sarah's father, Walter Grimes, disapprove of his daughter's engagement?
7. How can all of the writers as characters be described in Part 2: Chapter 2?
8. What is Sarah trying to write a book about?
9. What happens when Emily and Jack return to Iowa City?
10. What does Tony think of Sarah's writing?
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)