|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who do Jack and Emily visit in Part 2: Chapter 1?
2. Who does Sarah meet at her first job after graduation from high school?
(a) Her future husband.
(b) A newspaper journalist who decides to write a story about her.
(c) A movie star, who autographs a picture for her.
(d) The mayor and he offers her a job.
3. What is the name of Walter Grimes's lover?
(a) Irene Hammond.
(b) Donna Garrity.
(c) Jennifer Lane.
(d) Isabelle Hutz.
4. Why is Emily worried at her father's funeral?
(a) She thinks that no one will show up.
(b) Because she cannot cry.
(c) Because she can't stop crying.
(d) Because there are no flowers.
5. What happens to Emily at the beginning of Part 2?
(a) She wins the lottery.
(b) She gets married.
(c) She graduates high school.
(d) She graduates college.
Short Answer Questions
1. What state is Sarah planning to do research in for her project?
2. Who does Pookie flirt with at Sarah and Tony's wedding?
3. At which school is Jack invited to teach at?
4. What does Walter Grimes die of?
5. Which of Emily's qualities is Andrew Crawford impressed by?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the negative effects of choosing an authorial voice versus a character as narrator?
2. What is Jack's temperament like in Part 2: Chapter 2?
3. In Part 1: Chapter 2, why does Sarah's father, Walter Grimes, disapprove of his daughter's engagement?
4. In Part 1: Chapter 3, Emily decides to go to a movie alone. What happens instead?
5. In Part 1: Chapter 2, why is Emily scolded for being childish?
6. In Part 1: Chapter 4, the differences between Emily and Sarah become more apparent. Describe those differences.
7. What happens career-wise for Emily in Part 2: Chapter 1?
8. Describe Jack and Emily's relationship.
9. There are several references to alcohol and alcoholism in Part 1: Chapters 3 and 4. What are some of those references?
10. Describe Pookie and Emily's visit to the country cottage where Sarah lives in Part 1: Chapter 3.
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)