|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Emily's mood after Jack and Emily move?
(c) Bored and frustrated.
2. What does Walter do during the outing with Emily to celebrate news of her scholarship?
(a) Drinks heavily.
(b) Gives Emily a lesson on family history.
(c) Takes photographs of the giraffes.
(d) Spends too much money.
3. Why does Emily seek a divorce from her husband after only a few months of marriage?
(a) He becomes emotionally abusive.
(b) She doesn't feel a connection to him anymore.
(c) She wants to move abroad.
(d) She decides she wants to live alone.
4. What does Emily begin writing an article about at the beginning of Part 2: Chapter 2?
(a) Her experiences in Europe.
(b) Her experiences in Montana.
(c) Her experiences growing up in Tenafly, NY.
(d) Her experiences in Iowa.
5. What does Jack ask Emily to do in Part 2: Chapter 1?
(a) To move with him.
(b) To marry him.
(c) To write an article for him.
(d) To have his child.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Walter Grimes's lover?
2. Why is Emily worried at her father's funeral?
3. Who is Harold Schneider?
4. How does Emily get home from school?
5. Which of Emily's qualities is Andrew Crawford impressed by?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part 1: Chapter 2, why does Sarah's father, Walter Grimes, disapprove of his daughter's engagement?
2. What are the negative effects of choosing an authorial voice versus a character as narrator?
3. What does Emily learn in a letter from Sarah?
4. Describe what happens when Emily and Jack visit Sarah and her family.
5. Describe Jack and Emily's relationship.
6. How can all of the writers as characters be described in Part 2: Chapter 2?
7. What does Tony think of Sarah's writing?
8. Describe Emily and Sarah's relationship in Part 2: Chapter 1.
9. Why does Pookie want to be close to Tony's parents?
10. Why is Emily disappointed with the trip she and Jack take to Europe?
This section contains 804 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)