|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jack ask Emily to do in Part 2: Chapter 1?
(a) To move with him.
(b) To marry him.
(c) To have his child.
(d) To write an article for him.
2. How does Emily get home from school?
(a) Emily's mother picks her up.
(b) Sarah walks Emily home.
(c) Emily rides the school bus.
(d) Emily walks with the other neighborhood children.
3. Who is Sarah's project going to be about in Part 2: Chapter 1?
(a) Her sister, Emily.
(b) One of her husband's ancestors.
(c) New York City.
(d) A cabin by a lake.
4. What does Jack do with his current poetry?
(a) He asks Emily to read it.
(b) He refuses to allow Emily to read it.
(c) He calls his agent.
(d) Jack recites it for his class.
5. Where does Emily's father take her to celebrate the news of the scholarship?
(a) Shopping for new clothes.
(b) To lunch.
(c) To the history museum.
(d) To the zoo.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Emily live before she goes to college?
2. In what season does Jack decide to take Emily on a trip?
3. Which topic does Emily choose to write about for a magazine article but never finishes?
4. What is the relationship between Emily and Sarah?
5. After what length of time does Andrew say he will call Emily?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Emily's success with her career and work ethic impressive?
2. Describe Emily and Sarah's relationship in Part 2: Chapter 1.
3. In Part 1: Chapter 3, in what ways does it become clear to the reader that Emily is now the narrating character?
4. What happens career-wise for Emily in Part 2: Chapter 1?
5. In Part 1: Chapters 1 through 2, what are the differences between Emily and Sarah?
6. What happens for Emily in the year break Andrew takes from their relationship?
7. In Part 1: Chapter 2, why is Emily scolded for being childish?
8. There are several references to alcohol and alcoholism in Part 1: Chapters 3 and 4. What are some of those references?
9. Is there a rivalry between the two Grimes sisters?
10. Describe Pookie and Emily's visit to the country cottage where Sarah lives in Part 1: Chapter 3.
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)