|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Emily travel with at the end of Part 2: Chapter 2?
(a) With Sarah.
(b) With Pookie.
(c) She travels alone.
(d) With Jack.
2. What does Tony's mother propose they name their estate?
(a) Fair Hedges.
(b) Great Hedges.
(c) Great Falls.
(d) Lilac Estate.
3. What does Emily remain hopeful about, prompted by a overheard conversation between her parents?
(a) That her parents will get back together.
(b) She is hopeful that she passes her English test.
(c) That she will get a vanilla cake for her birthday.
(d) That her parents will buy her a bicycle.
4. What does Walter do during the outing with Emily to celebrate news of her scholarship?
(a) Gives Emily a lesson on family history.
(b) Spends too much money.
(c) Drinks heavily.
(d) Takes photographs of the giraffes.
5. What does Jack do with his current poetry?
(a) He refuses to allow Emily to read it.
(b) Jack recites it for his class.
(c) He asks Emily to read it.
(d) He calls his agent.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who becomes pregnant in Chapter 4?
2. Which topic does Emily choose to write about for a magazine article but never finishes?
3. Which college does Emily receive a scholarship to?
4. Who are Tony's parents giving the larger house on their estate to?
5. Sarah and Tony get married in what season of 1941?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Jack and Emily's relationship.
2. What does Emily learn in a letter from Sarah?
3. What is Sarah trying to write a book about?
4. What happens career-wise for Emily in Part 2: Chapter 1?
5. What happens when Emily and Jack return to Iowa City?
6. In Part 1: Chapters 1 through 2, what are the differences between Emily and Sarah?
7. What are the negative effects of choosing an authorial voice versus a character as narrator?
8. Why is Emily disappointed with the trip she and Jack take to Europe?
9. In Part 1: Chapter 2, why is Emily scolded for being childish?
10. How can all of the writers as characters be described in Part 2: Chapter 2?
This section contains 804 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)