|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Tony's mother propose they name their estate?
(a) Great Falls.
(b) Fair Hedges.
(c) Lilac Estate.
(d) Great Hedges.
2. Who does Pookie flirt with at Sarah and Tony's wedding?
(a) The minister.
(b) The groom's brother.
(c) The groom's father.
(d) On Tony.
3. Why does Emily postpone her decision near the end of Part 2: Chapter 2?
(a) Jack asks her to stay.
(b) Jack has an attack of self-doubt.
(c) Sarah tells her not to come.
(d) Emily's is not confident in her writing.
4. Emily runs into a soldier looking for what?
(a) His father.
(b) A restaurant called Lola's.
(c) A jazz bar called Nick's.
(d) The movie theater.
5. Why does the relationship between Emily and the merchant seaman end?
(a) He wife returns.
(b) He is called to work.
(c) He decides he wants to explore homosexuality.
(d) Emily is no longer interested in him.
Short Answer Questions
1. In which state is Jack offered a job?
2. When Emily wakes at night in Part 2: Chapter 2, what does she find Jack doing?
3. What does Jack do with his current poetry?
4. What does Emily decide to do when she and Jack return home from their trip?
5. What does Pookie wear to Sarah and Tony's wedding?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Pookie want to be close to Tony's parents?
2. Why does Emily suddenly remember what happened the night of the party?
3. Why does it appear that this relationship between Howard and Emily will not work?
4. What happens at the beginning of Part 2: Chapter 3?
5. Why is Emily disappointed with the trip she and Jack take to Europe?
6. Is there a rivalry between the two Grimes sisters?
7. What does Emily do concerning her suspicions concerning Sarah's death?
8. Describe the party that Emily attends thrown by a friend in Part 3: Chapter 3.
9. What are the negative effects of choosing an authorial voice versus a character as narrator?
10. What happens at Sarah's funeral and reception?
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)