|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Jack Flanders leave his old profession?
(a) He was fired.
(b) He moved abroad.
(c) To escape the world of business deals.
(d) To escape the world of academia.
2. Why does Emily find Jack's book difficult?
(a) She discovers that Jack uses a lot of French in poetry.
(b) She finds the language to be obtuse.
(c) Jack does not use punctuation in his writing.
(d) She is not a fan of poetry.
3. Whom does the space that Pookie moves to belong to?
(a) Jack's parents.
(b) Walter's mistress.
(c) Tony's parents.
(d) Tony's sister.
4. Why does the relationship between Emily and the merchant seaman end?
(a) Emily is no longer interested in him.
(b) He wife returns.
(c) He decides he wants to explore homosexuality.
(d) He is called to work.
5. Where does Emily's father take her to celebrate the news of the scholarship?
(a) Shopping for new clothes.
(b) To lunch.
(c) To the zoo.
(d) To the history museum.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Emily worried at her father's funeral?
2. How is Sarah injured when Pookie leaves her with a neighbor?
3. In which state is Jack offered a job?
4. What do Emily and Jack begin to do soon after they meet?
5. What does Tony Wilson wear to the Easter Parade?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the party that Emily attends thrown by a friend in Part 3: Chapter 3.
2. Would you say that Sarah is happy in Part 2 of the novel?
3. In Part 1: Chapter 3, Emily decides to go to a movie alone. What happens instead?
4. Describe Jack and Emily's relationship.
5. In Part 1: Chapter 2, why does Sarah's father, Walter Grimes, disapprove of his daughter's engagement?
6. Why does it appear that this relationship between Howard and Emily will not work?
7. Why does Emily suddenly remember what happened the night of the party?
8. In Part 1: Chapter 4, the differences between Emily and Sarah become more apparent. Describe those differences.
9. What happens at Sarah's funeral and reception?
10. Describe Emily and Sarah's relationship in Part 2: Chapter 1.
This section contains 792 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)