|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Emily begin writing an article about at the beginning of Part 2: Chapter 2?
(a) Her experiences in Montana.
(b) Her experiences in Europe.
(c) Her experiences in Iowa.
(d) Her experiences growing up in Tenafly, NY.
2. Who becomes pregnant in Chapter 4?
(b) Tony's mother.
3. Who is the first character mentioned in The Easter Parade?
(b) Tony Wilson.
4. Sarah and Tony get married in what season of 1941?
5. Why does Emily's family push her to do this?
(a) They want grandchildren.
(b) They want her to stay home with her children.
(c) They are shocked at her desire to stay single.
(d) They want her to become a teacher.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Emily postpone her decision near the end of Part 2: Chapter 2?
2. Who is Andrew Crawford?
3. Who does Pookie flirt with at Sarah and Tony's wedding?
4. What is Emily's mood after Jack and Emily move?
5. What does the letter Emily receives in Part 2: Chapter 2 say that Pookie has lost?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Emily and Jack return to Iowa City?
2. What happens for Emily in the year break Andrew takes from their relationship?
3. There are several references to alcohol and alcoholism in Part 1: Chapters 3 and 4. What are some of those references?
4. Describe Pookie and Emily's visit to the country cottage where Sarah lives in Part 1: Chapter 3.
5. What are the negative effects of choosing an authorial voice versus a character as narrator?
6. Why is Emily disappointed with the trip she and Jack take to Europe?
7. In Part 1: Chapter 2, why is Emily scolded for being childish?
8. In Part 1: Chapter 3, in what ways does it become clear to the reader that Emily is now the narrating character?
9. In Part 1: Chapter 2, why does Sarah's father, Walter Grimes, disapprove of his daughter's engagement?
10. Describe Emily and Sarah's relationship in Part 2: Chapter 1.
This section contains 790 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)