|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Emily react to Jack's book?
(a) She is unsupportive.
(b) She is supportive.
(c) Emily laughs.
(d) Emily thinks it's not well-written.
2. What happens prior to Emily's decision to divorce her husband?
(a) Emily publishes a book.
(b) She visits her mother.
(c) Emily visits Tony and Sarah.
(d) Emily travels to Europe.
3. What do Emily and Sarah have to contend with Pookie about?
(a) Pookie has a habit of exaggerating.
(b) Living above her means.
(c) Pookie won't pay any attention to Sarah or Emily.
(d) Bad marks in schools.
4. Who does Sarah meet at her first job after graduation from high school?
(a) The mayor and he offers her a job.
(b) A movie star, who autographs a picture for her.
(c) Her future husband.
(d) A newspaper journalist who decides to write a story about her.
5. How does Emily react to the news of Sarah's project?
(a) She ignores Sarah.
(b) She is impressed.
(c) She is negative.
(d) She cries.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Walter Grimes die of?
2. Who is the first character mentioned in The Easter Parade?
3. When Emily wakes at night in Part 2: Chapter 2, what does she find Jack doing?
4. Why does Emily's family push her to do this?
5. Who is Sarah's project going to be about in Part 2: Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Emily learn in a letter from Sarah?
2. In Part 1: Chapters 1 through 2, what are the differences between Emily and Sarah?
3. What happens for Emily in the year break Andrew takes from their relationship?
4. Who is Jack Flanders?
5. In Part 1: Chapter 3, Emily decides to go to a movie alone. What happens instead?
6. How can all of the writers as characters be described in Part 2: Chapter 2?
7. How does Sarah injure herself in Part 1: Chapter 1?
8. Do Emily and Andrew have a happy marriage?
9. What are the negative effects of choosing an authorial voice versus a character as narrator?
10. What happens when Emily and Jack return to Iowa City?
This section contains 823 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)