|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the relationship between Pookie and Sarah?
(a) Mother and daughter.
(b) Aunt and niece.
(c) Teacher and student.
(d) Pookie and Sarah are neighbors.
2. What is Emily's mood after Jack and Emily move?
(a) Bored and frustrated.
3. Who do Jack and Emily visit in Part 2: Chapter 1?
4. Who does Emily travel with at the end of Part 2: Chapter 2?
(a) With Pookie.
(b) She travels alone.
(c) With Sarah.
(d) With Jack.
5. Why does the relationship between Emily and the merchant seaman end?
(a) He decides he wants to explore homosexuality.
(b) Emily is no longer interested in him.
(c) He is called to work.
(d) He wife returns.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Sarah injured when Pookie leaves her with a neighbor?
2. What does Walter do during the outing with Emily to celebrate news of her scholarship?
3. Where does Pookie move in Part 2: Chapter 2?
4. What does Sarah reveal to Emily in Part 2: Chapter 1?
5. What does Sarah tell Emily that she has a talent for?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Emily and Sarah's relationship in Part 2: Chapter 1.
2. Why does Emily call Peter in Part 3: Chapter 3?
3. Describe Jack and Emily's relationship.
4. How can all of the writers as characters be described in Part 2: Chapter 2?
5. There are several references to alcohol and alcoholism in Part 1: Chapters 3 and 4. What are some of those references?
6. What does Tony do after Sarah's funeral?
7. In Part 1: Chapter 4, the differences between Emily and Sarah become more apparent. Describe those differences.
8. What does Emily do to help Sarah in Part 2: Chapter 4?
9. Do you consider Emily to be successful in Part 2: Chapters 3 and 4?
10. Describe Pookie and Emily's visit to the country cottage where Sarah lives in Part 1: Chapter 3.
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)