|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Sarah travel to New York in Part 2: Chapter 4?
(a) To meet Emily for lunch.
(b) To visit Pookie.
(c) To meet with the family lawyer.
(d) To get a job.
2. How has Emily's boss changed in Part 3: Chapter 2?
(a) Emily's boss colors her hair.
(b) Emily's boss has been promoted and no longer works in New York.
(c) She is supportive, no longer angry and critical.
(d) She is angry and critical, no longer supportive.
3. What does Michael Hogan do for a living?
(a) Public Relations Executive
4. When do Emily and Howard visit Sarah?
(a) At the beginning of winter in 1970.
(b) On their way to Florida.
(c) Before they move to Iowa.
(d) At the end of a summer vacation in 1967.
5. Why does Sarah call Emily in Part 3: Chapter 1?
(a) To ask advice about her children.
(b) To ask for a loan.
(c) To ask if she can move in with her.
(d) To invite Emily for a visit.
6. What do Emily and Sarah do at the beginning of Part 2: Chapter 4?
(a) Ask Jack's parents for money.
(b) They put Pookie in a nursing home.
(c) Sell their mother's possessions.
(d) Call Pookie's therapist.
7. What does Emily find when she goes to Sarah's hotel the same night as they had lunch?
(a) That Sarah is not there.
(b) That Sarah is ill.
(c) That Tony has beaten Sarah severely.
(d) That Sarah does not have money to pay for her hotel.
8. Where does Howard travel to in Part 3: Chapter 2?
9. What does a phone call Emily receives in Part 2: Chapter 3 prompt Emily to do?
(a) Apologize to Sarah.
(b) Quit her job.
(c) Remember the entire evening she had forgotten.
(d) Visit her mother.
10. What does Emily learn in this phone call she receives in Part 2: Chapter 3?
(a) That Jack wants Emily to come home.
(b) That Pookie has collapsed.
(c) That Sarah has been in an accident.
(d) That Tony has left Sarah.
11. What does Sarah ultimately decide to do at the end of Part 2: Chapter 4?
(a) Return to Tony.
(b) Move in with Emily.
(c) Get help.
(d) Leave Tony.
12. What can Tony's mood be described as after Sarah's funeral?
13. Why is Sarah apprehensive about this plan for a big expense in Part 2: Chapter 4?
(a) She is struggling with money.
(b) She doesn't want to speak to Jack's parents.
(c) She does not want to owe Emily anything.
(d) Sarah doesn't want to ask Tony for help.
14. Why does Emily claim that she uses this topic as a conversation piece in Part 3: Chapter 1?
(a) Because of her own anger.
(b) Because of her own confusion.
(c) Because of her own guilt.
(d) Because of her own anxiety.
15. What is Peter doing in Part 3: Chapter 1?
(a) He is in college and preparing for the seminary.
(b) He is going to medical school.
(c) He has become a mechanic.
(d) He is going into the military.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has happened to Tony Jr. in Part 3: Chapter 1?
2. What does Howard Dunninger tell Emily about his situation?
3. Why is Emily not interested in the party she is invited to in Part 3: Chapter 3?
4. What do Emily and Sarah do the night of going to the hospital in Part 2: Chapter 3?
5. Who does Emily think Sarah resembles in Part 3: Chapter 1?
This section contains 592 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)