|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Emily begin doing in the afternoons in Part 2: Chapter 2?
(b) Taking Jack to therapy appointments.
(c) Taking Jack on long walks.
2. Why does Emily take her first job after graduating from college?
(a) Emily believes it is a door into reporting.
(b) She believes it is a door into the world of magazine writing.
(c) She is interested in sales.
(d) She wants to report the news.
3. Sarah and Tony get married in what season of 1941?
4. What does Jack do with his current poetry?
(a) Jack recites it for his class.
(b) He asks Emily to read it.
(c) He calls his agent.
(d) He refuses to allow Emily to read it.
5. What does Walter Grimes die of?
(b) Scarlet Fever.
6. After what length of time does Andrew say he will call Emily?
(a) After one year.
(c) In six months.
(d) In two years.
7. What happens to Emily at the beginning of Part 2?
(a) She wins the lottery.
(b) She graduates high school.
(c) She gets married.
(d) She graduates college.
8. Why does Emily not finish her article she is working on in Part 2: Chapter 2?
(a) Her typewriter breaks.
(b) She wants to write a book instead.
(c) She loses interest.
(d) She is not confident in her writing.
9. Why does Sarah abandon the book she was working on?
(a) Because Emily is not supportive.
(b) Because she is no longer interested in the subject.
(c) Because she would have to travel to Montana.
(d) Because her husband tells her it's a dumb idea.
10. What does Pookie do at Sarah and Tony's wedding?
(a) Dances with Tony.
(b) Gets into a fight with Sarah.
(c) Gets drunk.
(d) Loses one shoe.
11. What does Emily decide to do when she and Jack return home from their trip?
(a) Visit Sarah.
(b) Leave Jack.
(c) Write a book.
(d) Write an article.
12. Where is Sarah when she is injured when Pookie leaves her with a neighbor?
(a) Shopping at the mall.
(b) At a neighbor's home.
(c) At a local park.
(d) Visiting her grandmother.
13. What is the first location mentioned in the novel?
(a) Sacramento, CA.
(b) Pittsburgh, PA.
(c) Tenafly, NY.
(d) Miami, FL.
14. Why does Emily postpone her decision near the end of Part 2: Chapter 2?
(a) Emily's is not confident in her writing.
(b) Jack asks her to stay.
(c) Sarah tells her not to come.
(d) Jack has an attack of self-doubt.
15. Why did Jack Flanders leave his old profession?
(a) He moved abroad.
(b) He was fired.
(c) To escape the world of business deals.
(d) To escape the world of academia.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of company does Emily work for?
2. Who is Harold Schneider?
3. Why does Emily find Jack's book difficult?
4. Who is Andrew Crawford?
5. What happens prior to Emily's decision to divorce her husband?
This section contains 520 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)