|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of company does Emily work for?
(a) A food magazine.
(b) A state newspaper.
(c) A makeup company.
(d) The locals news station.
2. Whom does Emily get a letter from in Part 2: Chapter 2?
3. What does Emily learn about Jack's past?
(a) That he is a published poet.
(b) That he has been married before.
(c) That he ran away from home at age 9.
(d) That he spent the last five years in jail.
4. Where is Sarah's scar located?
(a) On her left elbow.
(b) Across her left foot.
(c) Over and across one eye.
(d) On her right knee.
5. What does Emily explain to the neighborhood children?
(a) The color of the sky.
(b) The Easter Bunny.
6. Why does Sarah abandon the book she was working on?
(a) Because she is no longer interested in the subject.
(b) Because her husband tells her it's a dumb idea.
(c) Because Emily is not supportive.
(d) Because she would have to travel to Montana.
7. Which college does Emily receive a scholarship to?
(a) Barnard College.
(b) Sarah Lawrence College.
(c) Bard College.
(d) New York University.
8. On which holiday does Emily eavesdrop on her parents?
(d) Valentine's Day.
9. How does Emily react to the news of Sarah's project?
(a) She cries.
(b) She is impressed.
(c) She is negative.
(d) She ignores Sarah.
10. What do Emily and Sarah have to contend with Pookie about?
(a) Living above her means.
(b) Bad marks in schools.
(c) Pookie has a habit of exaggerating.
(d) Pookie won't pay any attention to Sarah or Emily.
11. Why does the trip Jack takes Emily on turn sour?
(a) Their flights are cancelled.
(b) Jack loses his wallet.
(c) Emily wanted to go somewhere else.
(d) Jack keeps making comparisons with a prior trip.
12. Where is Sarah working when she is required to attend the Easter Parade?
(a) On a campaign.
(b) For United China Relief
(c) At the mayor's office.
(d) At a newspaper.
13. What is the relationship between Pookie and Sarah?
(a) Teacher and student.
(b) Pookie and Sarah are neighbors.
(c) Mother and daughter.
(d) Aunt and niece.
14. At which school is Jack invited to teach at?
(a) The Writer's Workshop at the University of Montana.
(b) The University of Illinois.
(c) The Writer's Workshop at the University of Iowa.
(d) The University of Indiana.
15. What does Sarah reveal to Emily in Part 2: Chapter 1?
(a) That she is pregnant.
(b) That she writing a book.
(c) That she is going back to school.
(d) That she is getting a divorce.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Emily decide to do when she and Jack return home from their trip?
2. What does Walter Grimes die of?
3. Which of Emily's qualities is Andrew Crawford impressed by?
4. What is Emily's mood after Jack and Emily move?
5. Why does Emily not finish her article she is working on in Part 2: Chapter 2?
This section contains 494 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)