|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Sarah injured when Pookie leaves her with a neighbor?
(a) At a track meet.
(b) When she tries to run under an iron bar.
(c) When she attempts to climb a fence.
(d) She is bitten by a dog.
2. What is Emily's first job after graduating from college?
(a) She is a news anchor.
(b) She becomes a writer for a magazine.
(c) She becomes a newspaper journalist.
(d) She is a beauty pageant judge.
3. How does Emily react to the news of Sarah's project?
(a) She cries.
(b) She is impressed.
(c) She is negative.
(d) She ignores Sarah.
4. Where is Sarah when she is injured when Pookie leaves her with a neighbor?
(a) At a local park.
(b) Visiting her grandmother.
(c) Shopping at the mall.
(d) At a neighbor's home.
5. Where is Sarah working when she is required to attend the Easter Parade?
(a) For United China Relief
(b) On a campaign.
(c) At a newspaper.
(d) At the mayor's office.
6. What is the relationship between Emily and Sarah?
(a) They are best friends.
(b) They are step-sisters.
(c) They are sisters.
(d) They are cousins.
7. Who does Jack believe is his rival?
(b) Another poet working at his university.
(c) A poet from New York.
8. After what length of time does Andrew say he will call Emily?
(b) After one year.
(c) In two years.
(d) In six months.
9. Why does the relationship between Emily and the merchant seaman end?
(a) He wife returns.
(b) Emily is no longer interested in him.
(c) He decides he wants to explore homosexuality.
(d) He is called to work.
10. In which city do Jack and Emily purchase a house?
(a) New York City.
(c) Iowa City.
11. What does Pookie do at Sarah and Tony's wedding?
(a) Dances with Tony.
(b) Loses one shoe.
(c) Gets drunk.
(d) Gets into a fight with Sarah.
12. Who is Sarah's project going to be about in Part 2: Chapter 1?
(a) A cabin by a lake.
(b) Her sister, Emily.
(c) One of her husband's ancestors.
(d) New York City.
13. Why does Sarah abandon the book she was working on?
(a) Because her husband tells her it's a dumb idea.
(b) Because Emily is not supportive.
(c) Because she is no longer interested in the subject.
(d) Because she would have to travel to Montana.
14. Who is Harold Schneider?
(a) Sarah's boyfriend.
(b) Emily's friend from next door.
(c) The newspaper delivery boy.
(d) Pookie's boyfriend.
15. Why is Emily worried at her father's funeral?
(a) Because she cannot cry.
(b) Because there are no flowers.
(c) She thinks that no one will show up.
(d) Because she can't stop crying.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Sarah begin going into the city once a week?
2. In what season does Jack decide to take Emily on a trip?
3. What does Sarah explain to Emily in Part 1:Chapter 2 when they are eating Popsicles?
4. Who becomes pregnant in Chapter 4?
5. When Emily wakes at night in Part 2: Chapter 2, what does she find Jack doing?
This section contains 521 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)