|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Emily take her first job after graduating from college?
(a) Emily believes it is a door into reporting.
(b) She wants to report the news.
(c) She is interested in sales.
(d) She believes it is a door into the world of magazine writing.
2. Why does Emily's family push her to do this?
(a) They are shocked at her desire to stay single.
(b) They want grandchildren.
(c) They want her to become a teacher.
(d) They want her to stay home with her children.
3. Where does Emily go at the end of Part 2: Chapter 2?
(b) New York.
4. What happens to Emily at the beginning of Part 2?
(a) She graduates high school.
(b) She graduates college.
(c) She wins the lottery.
(d) She gets married.
5. What does Emily explain to the neighborhood children?
(a) The color of the sky.
(d) The Easter Bunny.
6. Who do Jack and Emily visit in Part 2: Chapter 1?
7. Whom does the space that Pookie moves to belong to?
(a) Walter's mistress.
(b) Jack's parents.
(c) Tony's sister.
(d) Tony's parents.
8. Who becomes pregnant in Chapter 4?
(c) Tony's mother.
9. Who does Pookie flirt with at Sarah and Tony's wedding?
(a) On Tony.
(b) The groom's father.
(c) The groom's brother.
(d) The minister.
10. Emily runs into a soldier looking for what?
(a) The movie theater.
(b) His father.
(c) A jazz bar called Nick's.
(d) A restaurant called Lola's.
11. What is Emily's first job after graduating from college?
(a) She is a beauty pageant judge.
(b) She becomes a writer for a magazine.
(c) She becomes a newspaper journalist.
(d) She is a news anchor.
12. What is the first location mentioned in the novel?
(a) Miami, FL.
(b) Pittsburgh, PA.
(c) Tenafly, NY.
(d) Sacramento, CA.
13. What does Tony's mother propose they name their estate?
(a) Lilac Estate.
(b) Great Hedges.
(c) Fair Hedges.
(d) Great Falls.
14. What does the letter Emily receives in Part 2: Chapter 2 say that Pookie has lost?
(a) Her car.
(b) Her job.
(c) Her mind.
(d) Her husband.
15. Where does Pookie move in Part 2: Chapter 2?
(a) To Montana.
(b) Into the city.
(c) To Iowa.
(d) An apartment over a agarage.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sarah's son, Peter, want to be when he grows up?
2. Emily and the soldier go to Central Park where Emily loses what?
3. Who is Jack Flanders?
4. At which school is Jack invited to teach at?
5. In Part 1: Chapter 1, where do Emily and Sarah go to visit their father?
This section contains 441 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)