|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what season does Jack decide to take Emily on a trip?
(a) In fall.
(b) In winter.
(c) In spring.
(d) In summer.
2. When Emily wakes at night in Part 2: Chapter 2, what does she find Jack doing?
(b) Drinking alone.
(d) Walking through the house.
3. Who does Sarah meet at her first job after graduation from high school?
(a) A movie star, who autographs a picture for her.
(b) Her future husband.
(c) The mayor and he offers her a job.
(d) A newspaper journalist who decides to write a story about her.
4. What does Walter Grimes die of?
(d) Scarlet Fever.
5. What is Emily's mood after Jack and Emily move?
(c) Bored and frustrated.
6. Whom does the space that Pookie moves to belong to?
(a) Tony's sister.
(b) Walter's mistress.
(c) Jack's parents.
(d) Tony's parents.
7. Where does Emily go at the end of Part 2: Chapter 2?
(b) New York.
8. Why does Emily's family push her to do this?
(a) They want her to become a teacher.
(b) They want grandchildren.
(c) They are shocked at her desire to stay single.
(d) They want her to stay home with her children.
9. Why does Sarah begin going into the city once a week?
(a) To volunteer at a nursing home.
(b) Sarah babysits for her father's co-worker's children.
(c) In order for her father to provide her with braces for her overbite.
(d) To run errands for her father.
10. Who is Jack Flanders?
(a) The husband of Emily's friend.
(b) Emily's editor.
(c) Her assistant.
(d) Emily's husband.
11. Whom does Emily get a letter from in Part 2: Chapter 2?
12. Where does Emily live before she goes to college?
(a) With Tony.
(b) With her father.
(c) With her sister.
(d) With her mother.
13. What does Sarah's son, Peter, want to be when he grows up?
(a) An Episcopalian priest.
(b) A doctor.
(c) A Methodist minister.
(d) A lawyer.
14. Who is Harold Schneider?
(a) Emily's friend from next door.
(b) The newspaper delivery boy.
(c) Sarah's boyfriend.
(d) Pookie's boyfriend.
15. In which city do Jack and Emily purchase a house?
(b) Iowa City.
(c) New York City.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Emily begin doing in the afternoons in Part 2: Chapter 2?
2. Sarah and Tony get married in what season of 1941?
3. Who does Emily travel with at the end of Part 2: Chapter 2?
4. Where does Emily's father take her to celebrate the news of the scholarship?
5. Where is Sarah when she is injured when Pookie leaves her with a neighbor?
This section contains 441 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)