|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Emily begin doing in the afternoons in Part 2: Chapter 2?
(c) Taking Jack to therapy appointments.
(d) Taking Jack on long walks.
2. What happens to Emily at the beginning of Part 2?
(a) She gets married.
(b) She graduates college.
(c) She graduates high school.
(d) She wins the lottery.
3. What does Jack do with his current poetry?
(a) He calls his agent.
(b) He refuses to allow Emily to read it.
(c) He asks Emily to read it.
(d) Jack recites it for his class.
4. In what season does Jack decide to take Emily on a trip?
(a) In fall.
(b) In winter.
(c) In spring.
(d) In summer.
5. What does Walter do during the outing with Emily to celebrate news of her scholarship?
(a) Takes photographs of the giraffes.
(b) Gives Emily a lesson on family history.
(c) Drinks heavily.
(d) Spends too much money.
6. Why does Emily's family push her to do this?
(a) They are shocked at her desire to stay single.
(b) They want grandchildren.
(c) They want her to stay home with her children.
(d) They want her to become a teacher.
7. Sarah and Tony get married in what season of 1941?
8. What does Jack ask Emily to do in Part 2: Chapter 1?
(a) To marry him.
(b) To move with him.
(c) To write an article for him.
(d) To have his child.
9. Whom does the space that Pookie moves to belong to?
(a) Walter's mistress.
(b) Tony's sister.
(c) Jack's parents.
(d) Tony's parents.
10. What does Emily decide to do when she and Jack return home from their trip?
(a) Write an article.
(b) Write a book.
(c) Visit Sarah.
(d) Leave Jack.
11. What is the relationship between Emily and Sarah?
(a) They are best friends.
(b) They are cousins.
(c) They are step-sisters.
(d) They are sisters.
12. How does Emily react to Jack's book?
(a) Emily laughs.
(b) She is unsupportive.
(c) She is supportive.
(d) Emily thinks it's not well-written.
13. Who is Harold Schneider?
(a) Pookie's boyfriend.
(b) Sarah's boyfriend.
(c) The newspaper delivery boy.
(d) Emily's friend from next door.
14. Why does Emily find Jack's book difficult?
(a) She discovers that Jack uses a lot of French in poetry.
(b) She is not a fan of poetry.
(c) She finds the language to be obtuse.
(d) Jack does not use punctuation in his writing.
15. What does Emily learn about Jack's past?
(a) That he ran away from home at age 9.
(b) That he has been married before.
(c) That he spent the last five years in jail.
(d) That he is a published poet.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the relationship between Emily and the merchant seaman end?
2. Why is Emily worried at her father's funeral?
3. Where does Pookie move in Part 2: Chapter 2?
4. How does Emily react to the news of Sarah's project?
5. What is Andrew embarrassed about in his relationship with Emily?
This section contains 523 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)