|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Tony's mother propose they name their estate?
(a) Great Falls.
(b) Fair Hedges.
(c) Great Hedges.
(d) Lilac Estate.
2. What does Sarah's son, Peter, want to be when he grows up?
(a) An Episcopalian priest.
(b) A doctor.
(c) A Methodist minister.
(d) A lawyer.
3. Who does Jack believe is his rival?
(a) Another poet working at his university.
(b) A poet from New York.
4. Why does the relationship between Emily and the merchant seaman end?
(a) He decides he wants to explore homosexuality.
(b) He is called to work.
(c) He wife returns.
(d) Emily is no longer interested in him.
5. What does Walter do during the outing with Emily to celebrate news of her scholarship?
(a) Gives Emily a lesson on family history.
(b) Drinks heavily.
(c) Spends too much money.
(d) Takes photographs of the giraffes.
6. Where is Sarah's scar located?
(a) Across her left foot.
(b) Over and across one eye.
(c) On her left elbow.
(d) On her right knee.
7. What does Sarah reveal to Emily in Part 2: Chapter 1?
(a) That she is pregnant.
(b) That she is going back to school.
(c) That she is getting a divorce.
(d) That she writing a book.
8. Who is Tony Wilson?
(a) Sarah's boss.
(b) The upstairs neighbor's son.
(c) The mayor.
(d) A local celebrity.
9. Why does Emily take her first job after graduating from college?
(a) Emily believes it is a door into reporting.
(b) She wants to report the news.
(c) She is interested in sales.
(d) She believes it is a door into the world of magazine writing.
10. What does Emily begin doing in the afternoons in Part 2: Chapter 2?
(b) Taking Jack to therapy appointments.
(d) Taking Jack on long walks.
11. When Emily wakes at night in Part 2: Chapter 2, what does she find Jack doing?
(b) Walking through the house.
(c) Drinking alone.
12. What does Emily learn about Jack's past?
(a) That he spent the last five years in jail.
(b) That he ran away from home at age 9.
(c) That he has been married before.
(d) That he is a published poet.
13. What is Andrew embarrassed about in his relationship with Emily?
(a) He recites a joke poorly.
(b) He trips and falls.
(c) He suffers from sexual dysfunction and cannot perform.
(d) Because he calls Emily by the wrong name.
14. After Sarah graduates from high school, she gets a job working where?
(a) At a radio station.
(b) At the grocery store.
(c) On the Wendell L. Wilkie campaign.
(d) At the local newspaper.
15. What does Tony Wilson wear to the Easter Parade?
(a) Traditional attire.
(b) English formal wear.
(c) A bunny costume.
(d) A kilt.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Pookie flirt with at Sarah and Tony's wedding?
2. Where does Emily live before she goes to college?
3. In which state is Jack offered a job?
4. How many children does Sarah have?
5. Who does Sarah meet at her first job after graduation from high school?
This section contains 510 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)