|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Emily and Sarah have to contend with Pookie about?
(a) Pookie has a habit of exaggerating.
(b) Bad marks in schools.
(c) Pookie won't pay any attention to Sarah or Emily.
(d) Living above her means.
2. What happens prior to Emily's decision to divorce her husband?
(a) Emily visits Tony and Sarah.
(b) Emily publishes a book.
(c) She visits her mother.
(d) Emily travels to Europe.
3. Who are Tony's parents giving the larger house on their estate to?
(a) Their daughter.
(c) Sarah and Tony and their family.
4. When Emily wakes at night in Part 2: Chapter 2, what does she find Jack doing?
(a) Walking through the house.
(b) Drinking alone.
5. What does the letter Emily receives in Part 2: Chapter 2 say that Pookie has lost?
(a) Her husband.
(b) Her mind.
(c) Her car.
(d) Her job.
6. Why did Jack Flanders leave his old profession?
(a) To escape the world of academia.
(b) He was fired.
(c) To escape the world of business deals.
(d) He moved abroad.
7. What type of company does Emily work for?
(a) A makeup company.
(b) The locals news station.
(c) A food magazine.
(d) A state newspaper.
8. What is the first location mentioned in the novel?
(a) Sacramento, CA.
(b) Tenafly, NY.
(c) Miami, FL.
(d) Pittsburgh, PA.
9. What does Sarah explain to Emily in Part 1:Chapter 2 when they are eating Popsicles?
(c) Sarah teaches Emily how to play tennis.
(d) She teaches her how to sew.
10. After Sarah graduates from high school, she gets a job working where?
(a) At a radio station.
(b) At the grocery store.
(c) At the local newspaper.
(d) On the Wendell L. Wilkie campaign.
11. Who is Sarah's project going to be about in Part 2: Chapter 1?
(a) New York City.
(b) Her sister, Emily.
(c) A cabin by a lake.
(d) One of her husband's ancestors.
12. Where is Sarah's scar located?
(a) On her right knee.
(b) Over and across one eye.
(c) On her left elbow.
(d) Across her left foot.
13. How many children does Sarah have?
(a) Three daughters.
(b) Three sons.
(c) Two sons.
(d) Four sons.
14. Where does Emily live before she goes to college?
(a) With her mother.
(b) With her father.
(c) With Tony.
(d) With her sister.
15. Why does Sarah begin going into the city once a week?
(a) To run errands for her father.
(b) Sarah babysits for her father's co-worker's children.
(c) To volunteer at a nursing home.
(d) In order for her father to provide her with braces for her overbite.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Emily take her first job after graduating from college?
2. How does Emily get home from school?
3. What do Emily and Jack do under a tree in Part 2: Chapter 2?
4. What does Tony's mother propose they name their estate?
5. Why does the relationship between Emily and the merchant seaman end?
This section contains 522 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)