|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Emily decide to do when she and Jack return home from their trip?
(a) Visit Sarah.
(b) Write an article.
(c) Leave Jack.
(d) Write a book.
2. Who does Pookie flirt with at Sarah and Tony's wedding?
(a) The minister.
(b) The groom's brother.
(c) The groom's father.
(d) On Tony.
3. After Sarah graduates from high school, she gets a job working where?
(a) At the local newspaper.
(b) On the Wendell L. Wilkie campaign.
(c) At the grocery store.
(d) At a radio station.
4. What do Emily and Jack do under a tree in Part 2: Chapter 2?
(a) Eat a picnic.
(b) Write a poem together.
(c) Talk about their future.
(d) Make love.
5. What do Emily and Sarah have to contend with Pookie about?
(a) Pookie won't pay any attention to Sarah or Emily.
(b) Pookie has a habit of exaggerating.
(c) Bad marks in schools.
(d) Living above her means.
6. Why does Emily not finish her article she is working on in Part 2: Chapter 2?
(a) She is not confident in her writing.
(b) She loses interest.
(c) Her typewriter breaks.
(d) She wants to write a book instead.
7. What does Walter do during the outing with Emily to celebrate news of her scholarship?
(a) Gives Emily a lesson on family history.
(b) Spends too much money.
(c) Drinks heavily.
(d) Takes photographs of the giraffes.
8. What does Tony's mother propose they name their estate?
(a) Lilac Estate.
(b) Great Hedges.
(c) Fair Hedges.
(d) Great Falls.
9. What does Pookie do at Sarah and Tony's wedding?
(a) Gets drunk.
(b) Gets into a fight with Sarah.
(c) Dances with Tony.
(d) Loses one shoe.
10. When Emily wakes at night in Part 2: Chapter 2, what does she find Jack doing?
(c) Drinking alone.
(d) Walking through the house.
11. Who are Tony's parents giving the larger house on their estate to?
(c) Their daughter.
(d) Sarah and Tony and their family.
12. Who is Harold Schneider?
(a) Sarah's boyfriend.
(b) The newspaper delivery boy.
(c) Pookie's boyfriend.
(d) Emily's friend from next door.
13. Emily and the soldier go to Central Park where Emily loses what?
(a) Her wallet.
(b) Her virginity.
(c) Her sunglasses.
(d) Her shoe.
14. What does Sarah's son, Peter, want to be when he grows up?
(a) An Episcopalian priest.
(b) A doctor.
(c) A lawyer.
(d) A Methodist minister.
15. How does Emily react to the news of Sarah's project?
(a) She cries.
(b) She ignores Sarah.
(c) She is impressed.
(d) She is negative.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Emily remain hopeful about, prompted by a overheard conversation between her parents?
2. What does Emily begin writing an article about at the beginning of Part 2: Chapter 2?
3. What does Walter Grimes die of?
4. Why does Emily seek a divorce from her husband after only a few months of marriage?
5. Sarah and Tony get married in what season of 1941?
This section contains 510 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)