|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rome's decision in Chapter 3 of Rome and the Patricians illustrate?
2. How do the slaves revolt in Rome?
3. According to Claudius, what is the real trouble in Rome?
4. How many men with axes govern over the people of Rome as Chapter 2 of Rome and the Patricians ends?
5. Why are slaves not considered part of the plebian class?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the "solution" that Rome gives its allies, and how is the decision perceived by the people?
2. Who do the plebians include, and how are they described?
3. What happens to the five classes set up by Servilius, and how are the patricians described?
4. What innovation is described at the end of War & Politics pertaining to the military and how it is compensated?
5. What cause does Plato think women should eventually take up and why?
6. What is Veii now considered to the Romans, and how does Rome plan on dealing with the situation?
7. How do the slaves revolt, what is the senate's response, and how is the problem resolved?
8. What threat do the decemvirs face, and how do they initially attempt to deal with it?
9. What do the senators do when the decemvirs take over?
10. What is the goal of the Roman military as they begin the war with Veii, and how do they attempt to meet it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the story of Cloelia in detail and explain why she is honored. Also, analyze the way her actions can be applied to current times and the broader lessons that can be interpreted from them.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the way the decemvirs seize control of Rome. How are the Romans vulnerable to the decemvirs' takeover? Why are they unaware of their vulnerability? How do the senators respond to the takeover and why? What challenges do the decemvirs encounter and in what ways are they not prepared to meet them? How do the main problems of the decemvirs lead to their downfall? What are the political and cultural results of their removal for the people of Rome? Which lessons do the Romans learn from the situation?
Essay Topic 3
The battle between Rome and the Albans causes two very different reactions from the Romans.
1) Describe the battle, how it is arranged, and the way Rome defeats the Albans.
2) Analyze Horatius's actions after the battle, including the possible reasons for them, and how the Romans respond.
3) Explain whether or not you agree with the decision to spare Horatius the death penalty and why.
This section contains 994 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)