|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the state of the allies when they approach Rome for mediation?
2. Why are women and children not considered part of the plebian class?
3. What is the controversial yet effective way that Postumius dies?
4. Who does Postumius have trouble cooperating with in the military?
5. How many allies of Rome need mediation for their dispute?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Quinctius, and what debate is he positioned in the middle of?
2. What are both sides of the intermarriage debate Rome faces?
3. What are the Laws of the Ten Tables?
4. Why does the city of Ardea respond positively to Rome's new outlook?
5. What threat do the decemvirs face, and how do they initially attempt to deal with it?
6. What is Veii now considered to the Romans, and how does Rome plan on dealing with the situation?
7. What do the senators do when the decemvirs take over?
8. What are the decemvirs?
9. How is the political structure of the Republic described at the end of the first part of War & Politics?
10. What is unique about Lucius Tarquitius?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Romulus is credited as the Founder of Rome and his life is a major part of the first section of the book.
1) Describe the two different theories of Romulus and Remus, and explain which one you think is the most likely.
2) Explain how Romulus becomes the first King of Rome, how he builds the city, and the significance in the way it is originally defended.
3) Describe how Romulus is remembered and why the Romans responded to his death that way.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast both classes, the patricians and the plebians. Include which people make up the two classes, who is excluded from them, and why. Also, analyze the role of each class specifically and if you think that both are needed to provide a balance to the Republic. Use the book as a reference to provide examples of people who represent each class in your explanations.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the original way that leaders handled the responsibility of leading their troops into battle. Then, compare that traditional approach with the gradual change throughout the course of Rome's early history, including what events influence the change, how it affects the safety of Rome, and the attempts made to correct it along with their results.
This section contains 916 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)