|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do the senators go as the decemvirs take control of Rome?
2. What role do the decemvirs have in the Republic at the start of the fourth book?
3. Where is the civil strife in Rome resolved?
4. What part of the planet uses laws similar to that of the Romans, based on Judaic philosophy?
5. According to Claudius, what is the real trouble in Rome?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens after the Laws of the Ten Tables are established?
2. How long does the pestilence and illness last, and what effect does it have on Rome?
3. Why does the city of Ardea respond positively to Rome's new outlook?
4. Who is Quinctius, and what debate is he positioned in the middle of?
5. What happens between two allies of Rome, and how does the city become involved?
6. What threat do the decemvirs face, and how do they initially attempt to deal with it?
7. What is the goal of the Roman military as they begin the war with Veii, and how do they attempt to meet it?
8. What are both sides of the intermarriage debate Rome faces?
9. What is the main problem the decemvirs are having and why?
10. What cause does Plato think women should eventually take up and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the story of Cloelia in detail and explain why she is honored. Also, analyze the way her actions can be applied to current times and the broader lessons that can be interpreted from them.
Essay Topic 2
How and why do the slaves attempt to revolt against the government? Explain the methods they use and how the timing of their planned revolt is significant. Also, describe the way the government deals with the slaves and how the revolt is stopped.
Essay Topic 3
Servius' time as King is eventful in many ways, including how his reign ends.
1) Chronicle the policies that Servius is responsible for and their effect on Rome.
2) Describe in detail the plan to take the throne from Servius by his relatives.
3) Explain how Tarquin rules over Rome, providing examples from the book of his actions.
4) Describe Sextus's role in Gabii and how his actions ignite the effort to remove Tarquin and eliminate the idea of a monarchy.
This section contains 893 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)