|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is the nature of the decemvirs' politics described?
2. What part of the government featured a strong military contingent?
3. How is the civil strife in Rome managed?
4. What decision does Rome make at the end of Rome and the Patricians?
5. Which one of the following best describes the state of the Roman Republic during the time described in Chapter 2 of Rome and the Patricians?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are both sides of the intermarriage debate Rome faces?
2. What is the goal of the Roman military as they begin the war with Veii, and how do they attempt to meet it?
3. What are the decemvirs?
4. What cause does Plato think women should eventually take up and why?
5. What happens after the Laws of the Ten Tables are established?
6. What does Postumius do to cause his soldiers to turn against him, and what is the controversy surrounding his death?
7. How is the political structure of the Republic described at the end of the first part of War & Politics?
8. What do the senators do when the decemvirs take over?
9. What happens to the five classes set up by Servilius, and how are the patricians described?
10. How do the slaves revolt, what is the senate's response, and how is the problem resolved?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the issue of marriage between different classes and the effect it has on Rome.
1) How does the idea of marrying among different classes first become an issue?
2) What are the main arguments used by the supporters of intermarriage?
3) What are the main concerns and objections of those who oppose intermarriage?
4) Which side of the issue is the most convincing and why?
Essay Topic 2
Rome is taken over by Gaul for a variety of reasons, and the Romans are forced to make an important decision.
1) Describe the state of Rome when Gaul attacks and how it contributes to the result of the attacks.
2) Explain who Camillus is and why he has an important part in the war as well as the decision to remain in Rome after it is over.
3) Discuss the events that take place after the war, including how the women are instrumental in giving Rome a second chance, the way they are rewarded for it, and the magnitude of the decision that the Romans are left with.
4) Explain the omen that occurs and how it causes the people to stay in Rome. Also, describe the way the city is rebuilt and what the possible future for the Republic of Rome is.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the events surrounding Postumius's death. Which of Postumius's actions are the most offensive and why? Explain how he angers the other soldiers to the point where they take action. Also, include how he dies, the controversy around the trials of the soldiers, and whether or not you think it is a case of justice or murder.
This section contains 1,091 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)