|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the population of Rome estimated to be during first part of The Patricians at Bay?
2. What is the perception of Rome while Pompilius presides there?
3. How does Romulus urge the men to treat the women as Rome is beginning to build its population?
4. How do the senators show their fear for the people's increasing awareness of the debt crisis?
5. Which one of the following is not an event that is included in the book as an ominous sign for Rome?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens after the war with the Aequians, and how do the Romans respond?
2. How is the war between the Romans and the Aequians waged?
3. How does Rome respond to outside regions in the beginning of its existence?
4. How do the senators initially respond to the ensuing credit war, and why does this strategy backfire on them?
5. How is Romulus regarded as a leader, and what things does he have to do in order to build Rome?
6. How does Tarquin gain power, and who is recognized in removing it from him?
7. What is Livy's theory of human nature, and how does it relate to Rome?
8. How do the debtors and the citizens of Rome take the law into their own hands after the government proves to be no help with the credit problems?
9. What are the two different stories about the origin of Romulus and Remus?
10. What is the government's proposal to the debtors, and why does it work only one time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the events leading up to Rome's decision to take the land away from two of their allies. How do both allies wage the war with each other, and what state are they in when they approach Rome for assistance? What is Rome's position supposed to be in resolving their conflict? How does a third party complicate things? What factors contribute to Rome's decision? How is it received by the people and why?
Essay Topic 2
How and why do the slaves attempt to revolt against the government? Explain the methods they use and how the timing of their planned revolt is significant. Also, describe the way the government deals with the slaves and how the revolt is stopped.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the changes that the Republic goes through during The Early History of Rome, from the Kings to the three part political system that it eventually adopts. Include the major differences between each system, which people objected to them, and how. Also, explain the roles of each part of the government (consuls, senate, tribunes) and how those roles either changed or remained the same over time.
This section contains 1,135 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)