|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is the problem of debt described?
2. Which sign do Romulus and Remus become the symbol for?
3. What does the group, the Aurunci, consist of?
4. Who does the slave turn the information of the conspiracy over to?
5. What does Ancus do to solve the increasing crime problem Rome faces?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the Romans and the Albans agree to settle their war and what is the result?
2. How are the debtors made to pay for their debt, and what do the creditors do to take advantage of them?
3. What role do the women have in the beginning of Rome?
4. How is Romulus regarded as a leader, and what things does he have to do in order to build Rome?
5. Who is Valerius, and what does he do for the Roman people?
6. What problems does King Ancus face, and how does he deal with them?
7. How does Tarquin die, and what effect does it have on the Republic of Rome?
8. What two noteworthy things does Servius do while he serves as the King of Rome?
9. How is the war between the Romans and the Aequians waged?
10. How do the debtors and the citizens of Rome take the law into their own hands after the government proves to be no help with the credit problems?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The first three Kings of Rome had different approaches to ruling the city, and as a result, Rome itself experiences many changes in its early stages. Compare and contrast the way that Romulus, Pompilius, and Hostilius choose to rule, the motivations behind their actions, and the effects of them for Rome in general.
Essay Topic 2
How and why do the slaves attempt to revolt against the government? Explain the methods they use and how the timing of their planned revolt is significant. Also, describe the way the government deals with the slaves and how the revolt is stopped.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast both classes, the patricians and the plebians. Include which people make up the two classes, who is excluded from them, and why. Also, analyze the role of each class specifically and if you think that both are needed to provide a balance to the Republic. Use the book as a reference to provide examples of people who represent each class in your explanations.
This section contains 961 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)