|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the elderly man that brought the issue of debt to the forefront?
2. What does Cloelia do when she is held hostage for the second time?
3. What do the Volscians continue to be for Rome during the time of two consuls?
4. How many days are taken to contemplate the origin of the lights in the sky that are seen after a military campaign?
5. Which one of the following is not an event that is included in the book as an ominous sign for Rome?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Hostilius different than Romulus and Pompilius?
2. What role do the women have in the beginning of Rome?
3. What two noteworthy things does Servius do while he serves as the King of Rome?
4. What do the introductory sections of the book cover and what is the overall intent of Livy?
5. How does Tarquin die, and what effect does it have on the Republic of Rome?
6. How is the war between the Romans and the Aequians waged?
7. Who is Valerius, and what does he do for the Roman people?
8. What happens under a two consul system that changes the traditional way military leaders fight with their men?
9. What problems does King Ancus face, and how does he deal with them?
10. How does the war between the creditors and the debtors begin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the possible motivations behind the Pometians' decision to stand up to the Romans. In addition, describe exactly how Pometia surprises Rome, why it is effective, and what the unintended results are. Finally, discuss what the event depicts for both cities in general.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the issue of marriage between different classes and the effect it has on Rome.
1) How does the idea of marrying among different classes first become an issue?
2) What are the main arguments used by the supporters of intermarriage?
3) What are the main concerns and objections of those who oppose intermarriage?
4) Which side of the issue is the most convincing and why?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the original way that leaders handled the responsibility of leading their troops into battle. Then, compare that traditional approach with the gradual change throughout the course of Rome's early history, including what events influence the change, how it affects the safety of Rome, and the attempts made to correct it along with their results.
This section contains 930 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)