|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the population of Rome estimated to be during first part of The Patricians at Bay?
2. How does Romulus urge the men to treat the women as Rome is beginning to build its population?
3. How long does Pompilius rule over Rome?
4. According to Livy, what is the one thing that is needed for all politicians to be elected into office?
5. How do the political leaders of Rome gain the support of the people early on?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the war between the creditors and the debtors begin?
2. Who is Quinctius, and what debate is he positioned in the middle of?
3. How does the political system of the oligarchs differ from the original ruling style of the Kings?
4. How do the debtors and the citizens of Rome take the law into their own hands after the government proves to be no help with the credit problems?
5. How does Tarquin attempt to regain power, and what prevents him from succeeding?
6. What happens between two allies of Rome, and how does the city become involved?
7. What do the introductory sections of the book cover and what is the overall intent of Livy?
8. What do the senators do when the decemvirs take over?
9. What does Postumius do to cause his soldiers to turn against him, and what is the controversy surrounding his death?
10. What happens after the Laws of the Ten Tables are established?
Essay Topic 1
Describe the changes that the Republic goes through during The Early History of Rome, from the Kings to the three part political system that it eventually adopts. Include the major differences between each system, which people objected to them, and how. Also, explain the roles of each part of the government (consuls, senate, tribunes) and how those roles either changed or remained the same over time.
Essay Topic 2
Explain Livy's theory on human nature. How does he present it, and what is the significance of the place in the book he chooses to introduce it? What is the relevance between the theory and The Early History of Rome? Also, describe examples of how human nature either changes or does not change, both in early Rome and throughout other time periods, and analyze whether or not you agree with Livy.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the events surrounding Postumius's death. Which of Postumius's actions are the most offensive and why? Explain how he angers the other soldiers to the point where they take action. Also, include how he dies, the controversy around the trials of the soldiers, and whether or not you think it is a case of justice or murder.
This section contains 2,256 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)