|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Circus Maximus?
2. What does Romulus become known as?
3. What is a difficulty that the author encounters while writing about the history of Rome?
4. How many years is a consul given to serve when the position is first created?
5. According to Livy, what is the one thing that is needed for all politicians to be elected into office?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the Romans and the Albans agree to settle their war and what is the result?
2. How does Tarquin gain power, and who is recognized in removing it from him?
3. What is the new group of pacifists called, and where do they settle?
4. What role do the women have in the beginning of Rome?
5. What happens after the war with the Aequians, and how do the Romans respond?
6. How is the war between the Romans and the Aequians waged?
7. How is a slave given citizenship, according to the story told in Rome as a Republic?
8. How is Romulus regarded as a leader, and what things does he have to do in order to build Rome?
9. What happens under a two consul system that changes the traditional way military leaders fight with their men?
10. How long does Romulus rule, and what type of leadership does Pompilius provide?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Rome is taken over by Gaul for a variety of reasons, and the Romans are forced to make an important decision.
1) Describe the state of Rome when Gaul attacks and how it contributes to the result of the attacks.
2) Explain who Camillus is and why he has an important part in the war as well as the decision to remain in Rome after it is over.
3) Discuss the events that take place after the war, including how the women are instrumental in giving Rome a second chance, the way they are rewarded for it, and the magnitude of the decision that the Romans are left with.
4) Explain the omen that occurs and how it causes the people to stay in Rome. Also, describe the way the city is rebuilt and what the possible future for the Republic of Rome is.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the possible motivations behind the Pometians' decision to stand up to the Romans. In addition, describe exactly how Pometia surprises Rome, why it is effective, and what the unintended results are. Finally, discuss what the event depicts for both cities in general.
Essay Topic 3
How and why do the slaves attempt to revolt against the government? Explain the methods they use and how the timing of their planned revolt is significant. Also, describe the way the government deals with the slaves and how the revolt is stopped.
This section contains 1,070 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)