|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What procedure does Ancus re-institute?
(a) An election by the senate.
(b) The declaration of peace.
(c) An election by the people.
(d) The declaration of war.
2. How do the people view the senators' fear of the crowds resulting from the debt problem the city faces?
(a) They are confused by it.
(b) They view it as negative.
(c) They ignore it.
(d) They view it as positive.
3. Where does Romulus gather people from to help start Rome's population?
(a) All of the surrounding villages.
(b) A select amount of the surrounding villages.
(c) All of the surrounding countries.
(d) A select amount of the surrounding countries.
4. How many years is Rome a Republic before other well known governments are established, such as Athens and Sparta?
(a) About 320 years.
(b) About 400 years.
(c) About 120 years.
(d) About 200 years.
5. Who is the elderly man that brought the issue of debt to the forefront?
(a) A reputable politician.
(b) A former King.
(c) A reputable soldier.
(d) A former Commander.
Short Answer Questions
1. How are the Sabine people described in the book?
2. What is Circus Maximus?
3. What do some of the creditors do to make the situation worse?
4. What planet's name is given to the temple to a deity?
5. How is Horatius given a reprieve from the death penalty after his tragic response to his sister's reaction to the battle?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the debtors and the citizens of Rome take the law into their own hands after the government proves to be no help with the credit problems?
2. How does the town of Pometia surprisingly stand up to Rome, and what is the end result?
3. What do the introductory sections of the book cover and what is the overall intent of Livy?
4. Who is Postumia and why do people object to her?
5. What is the new group of pacifists called, and where do they settle?
6. What role do the women have in the beginning of Rome?
7. What does Postumius do to cause his soldiers to turn against him, and what is the controversy surrounding his death?
8. How does the plague weaken Rome, and what brings them back from possible defeat?
9. Who do the plebians include, and how are they described?
10. What is the main problem the decemvirs are having and why?
This section contains 988 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)