|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Pompilius primarily focus on?
(a) Granting more power to the senate.
(b) Eliminating the culture of Rome.
(c) Granting more power to himself.
(d) Civilizing the culture of Rome.
2. What level of involvement do the leaders have in the war that featured debtors who agreed to fight in exchange for their debt being resolved?
(a) They participate by positioning themselves near the battles.
(b) They refuse to participate.
(c) They temporarily leave Rome to avoid participating.
(d) They actively participate.
3. Why are most of the politicians in Rome oligarchs?
(a) They can afford to invest the time needed.
(b) The city cannot find more than a few people that the Romans would elect.
(c) They tried a political system with many leaders and it did not work.
(d) They have seen how political systems with many leaders in other regions have failed.
4. How long does the creation and establishment of Rome take?
5. How is the problem of debt described?
(a) As an unmanageable civil and social problem.
(b) As a past social problem.
(c) As a manageable civil and social problem.
(d) As a past civil problem..
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a difficulty that the author encounters while writing about the history of Rome?
2. What never changes, according to the opening of The Patricians at Bay?
3. What procedure does Ancus re-institute?
4. What is Brutus known as in the beginning of the second book?
5. What do the Romans do as a way to deal with the debt problem once it becomes more intense?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the plague weaken Rome, and what brings them back from possible defeat?
2. What happens after the war with the Aequians, and how do the Romans respond?
3. What happens under a two consul system that changes the traditional way military leaders fight with their men?
4. What is Livy's theory of human nature, and how does it relate to Rome?
5. Who is Valerius, and what does he do for the Roman people?
6. What is the new group of pacifists called, and where do they settle?
7. How do the senators initially respond to the ensuing credit war, and why does this strategy backfire on them?
8. What role do the women have in the beginning of Rome?
9. What is interesting about the Roman religion and where was it adopted from?
10. How does Tarquin gain power, and who is recognized in removing it from him?
This section contains 975 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)