|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What planet's name is given to the temple to a deity?
2. How do the surrounding political locations feel about Rome when it is first being created?
(a) They like it.
(b) They do not like it.
(c) They fear it.
(d) They are confused by it.
3. What is Circus Maximus?
(a) A large, circular shaped senate building.
(b) A large private stadium.
(c) A large public stadium.
(d) A large, circular shaped courthouse.
4. How does Hostilius consider Pompilius's culture to be?
5. What does the group of pacifists call themselves?
(a) The peace party.
(b) The anti-war coalition.
(c) The peace coalition.
(d) The anti-war party.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Livy describe Tarquin's rule over Rome?
2. What is Brutus known as in the beginning of the second book?
3. How does the slave described in the beginning of Rome's new consul learn of the conspirators' plans?
4. How long does Pompilius rule over Rome?
5. What level of involvement do the leaders have in the war that featured debtors who agreed to fight in exchange for their debt being resolved?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the debtors and the citizens of Rome take the law into their own hands after the government proves to be no help with the credit problems?
2. How does the town of Pometia surprisingly stand up to Rome, and what is the end result?
3. What problems does King Ancus face, and how does he deal with them?
4. How does Rome respond to outside regions in the beginning of its existence?
5. How are the debtors made to pay for their debt, and what do the creditors do to take advantage of them?
6. How does Tarquin die, and what effect does it have on the Republic of Rome?
7. What do the introductory sections of the book cover and what is the overall intent of Livy?
8. What role do the women have in the beginning of Rome?
9. What is Livy's theory of human nature, and how does it relate to Rome?
10. What is the government's proposal to the debtors, and why does it work only one time?
This section contains 937 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)