|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the great Roman warrior, Valerius, do once he enters politics?
(a) He gives more power to the government.
(b) He prosecutes all creditors for unlawful practices.
(c) He gives more power to the Romans.
(d) He removes all existing debts from the people.
2. How do the Romans use war in the second part of The Republic?
(a) Only preservation and expansion.
(b) Only preservation.
(c) Only preservation and resources.
(d) Preservation, resources, and expansion.
3. How is the problem of debt described?
(a) As a past social problem.
(b) As a past civil problem..
(c) As a manageable civil and social problem.
(d) As an unmanageable civil and social problem.
4. What situation is the most common setting for a Dictator to be named of Rome?
(a) A shortage of supplies.
(b) A financial crisis.
(c) A war.
(d) Civil unrest.
5. What does Cloelia do when she is held hostage for the second time?
(a) She oversees another escape by the hostages.
(b) She oversees a group of boy hostages.
(c) She oversees a group of girl hostages.
(d) She oversees the food supply for the hostages.
6. What are the women asked to disregard pertaining to the men they found themselves with at the start of Rome?
(a) Their hatred.
(b) Their resentment.
(c) Their attachment.
(d) Their fondness.
7. What does the author tell the reader he is writing about in the first Introduction?
(a) The first people in Rome that cannot be verified.
(b) The second group of people to inhabit Rome.
(c) The first people in Rome that anyone is certain of.
(d) The group of people who traveled through Rome before it was founded.
8. What threat causes the senate to offer debtors a relief from their debts if they agree to serve in the military?
(a) The threat of the Volscians.
(b) The threat of the Nervians.
(c) The threat of the Batavians.
(d) The threat of the Tungrians.
9. As Part 2 of The Republic begins, what is a main focus of Rome's culture?
(a) The Romans are trying to make the city more sophisticated.
(b) The Romans are expanding their culture to include traits of other regions.
(c) The Romans are reducing the influence of other regions in their culture.
(d) The Romans are trying to make the city less sophisticated.
10. According to Cloelia, what does gender influence?
11. How do the surrounding political locations feel about Rome when it is first being created?
(a) They fear it.
(b) They are confused by it.
(c) They like it.
(d) They do not like it.
12. What never changes, according to the opening of The Patricians at Bay?
(b) The way wars are fought.
(c) Human nature.
(d) The way politics are handled.
13. What is the reason given for why parents are eventually allowed to move into Rome?
(a) To be political advisors.
(b) To contribute to the economy.
(c) To increase Rome's population even more.
(d) To be closer to relatives.
14. How is Romulus thought of as a leader?
(a) He is admired, but not respected.
(b) He is admired and respected.
(c) He is respected, but not admired.
(d) He is neither admired nor respected.
15. How does Hostilius consider Pompilius's culture to be?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Rome use the Dictatorship during The Republic?
2. After the senate is formed, how is King Numa Pompilius elected?
3. Which one of the following is not an event that is included in the book as an ominous sign for Rome?
4. How long does Pompilius rule over Rome?
5. What planet's name is given to the temple to a deity?
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)