|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the Volscians continue to be for Rome during the time of two consuls?
(a) A source of food for Rome.
(b) A major ally of Rome.
(c) A major opponent of Rome.
(d) A source of work for Rome.
2. What does the group, the Aurunci, consist of?
(a) Just one town.
(b) More than one country.
(c) Just one country.
(d) More than one town.
3. What do some of the creditors do to make the situation worse?
(a) They attack the debtors physically.
(b) They exploit the debtors.
(c) They refuse to accept repayment of the debts owed to them.
(d) They try to take property away from the debtors.
4. How does Rome use the Dictatorship during The Republic?
(b) It replaces the consul.
(c) Only as needed.
(d) Every other year.
5. How many generations pass between the pre-history of Rome and the recorded history?
6. What do the people do when creditors attempt to collect repayment in the courts?
(a) They form mobs to protect the debtors.
(b) They protest the government by holding big rallies.
(c) They encourage debtors not to attend the court proceedings.
(d) They file lawsuits against the creditors in retaliation.
7. What serious problem do the Romans turn to religion for help with?
(a) The financial burden of debts.
(b) The wars.
(c) The fear of the lights in the sky.
(d) The plague.
8. What kinds of rights are the women promised when Rome is first beginning?
(a) Less rights than were common for Roman wives.
(b) All of the rights proper to Roman wives.
(c) More rights than were common for Roman wives.
(d) None of the rights proper to Roman wives.
9. How does Hostilius consider Pompilius's culture to be?
10. What type of republic do the Romans choose their form of government over?
11. Which relative of Hostilius set the precedent for the meaning of the word "hostile?"
(a) His father.
(b) His grandfather.
(c) His uncle.
(d) His brother.
12. Who does Tarquin recruit to assist him in the effort to regain Rome after he is banished?
(a) The Venetians.
(b) The Ligurians.
(c) The Etruscans.
(d) The Umbrians.
13. What never changes, according to the opening of The Patricians at Bay?
(a) The way wars are fought.
(b) The way politics are handled.
(d) Human nature.
14. What is the reason for Tarquin's failure at attempting to retake control of Rome?
(a) Tarquin lacks the number of men needed to battle Rome.
(b) The people's fear of Brutus.
(c) Tarquin does not allow his men to rest, so they are too tired to fight Rome.
(d) The support of the people for Brutus.
15. What do the Romans surprisingly do after Cloelia successfully escapes from Porsena?
(a) They separate her from her family.
(b) They refuse to allow her entrance to Rome.
(c) They do not recognize her.
(d) They return her to Porsena.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the surrounding political locations feel about Rome when it is first being created?
2. After the senate is formed, how is King Numa Pompilius elected?
3. How long does the creation and establishment of Rome take?
4. Who does the slave turn the information of the conspiracy over to?
5. How does Romulus urge the men to treat the women as Rome is beginning to build its population?
This section contains 554 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)