|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the people do when creditors attempt to collect repayment in the courts?
(a) They encourage debtors not to attend the court proceedings.
(b) They file lawsuits against the creditors in retaliation.
(c) They form mobs to protect the debtors.
(d) They protest the government by holding big rallies.
2. What does the great Roman warrior, Valerius, do once he enters politics?
(a) He removes all existing debts from the people.
(b) He gives more power to the government.
(c) He gives more power to the Romans.
(d) He prosecutes all creditors for unlawful practices.
3. Which one of the following is not an event that is included in the book as an ominous sign for Rome?
(a) Fire in the sky.
(b) A talking cow.
(c) Extensive flooding of the rivers.
(d) A volcanic eruption.
4. How many days are taken to contemplate the origin of the lights in the sky that are seen after a military campaign?
5. What is the population of Rome estimated to be during first part of The Patricians at Bay?
(a) 104, 714.
(b) 140, 714.
(c) 49, 714.
(d) 94, 714.
6. Who does Tarquin recruit to assist him in the effort to regain Rome after he is banished?
(a) The Ligurians.
(b) The Etruscans.
(c) The Venetians.
(d) The Umbrians.
7. After the disgrace Tarquin, his wife, and his son have brought to Rome, how many consuls do the Romans decide to elect to replace the kingship?
8. Which sign do Romulus and Remus become the symbol for?
9. What never changes, according to the opening of The Patricians at Bay?
(a) The way wars are fought.
(b) The way politics are handled.
(d) Human nature.
10. What level of involvement do the leaders have in the war that featured debtors who agreed to fight in exchange for their debt being resolved?
(a) They actively participate.
(b) They temporarily leave Rome to avoid participating.
(c) They participate by positioning themselves near the battles.
(d) They refuse to participate.
11. How does Romulus urge the men to treat the women as Rome is beginning to build its population?
12. How is the problem of debt described?
(a) As a manageable civil and social problem.
(b) As an unmanageable civil and social problem.
(c) As a past social problem.
(d) As a past civil problem..
13. How does the town of Pometia almost defeat the Romans?
(a) They outnumber the Romans by a two to one margin.
(b) They attack the Romans using domestic devices.
(c) They obtain more advanced weaponry than the Romans.
(d) They surprise the Romans with an army of well trained soldiers.
14. What do the Romans do as a way to deal with the debt problem once it becomes more intense?
(a) They try to borrow money from other neighboring regions.
(b) They try to borrow money from other neighboring countries.
(c) They hold public meetings.
(d) They hold private meetings.
15. How do the senators show their fear for the people's increasing awareness of the debt crisis?
(a) They resign.
(b) They attempt to talk with the people more directly.
(c) They attempt to create new laws for time payments.
(d) They stay away.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long did Romulus rule for?
2. How was the support of the people viewed by the Kings of early Rome?
3. Why are most of the politicians in Rome oligarchs?
4. After the senate is formed, how is King Numa Pompilius elected?
5. How does Hostilius consider Pompilius's culture to be?
This section contains 625 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)