|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why are most of the politicians in Rome oligarchs?
(a) They have seen how political systems with many leaders in other regions have failed.
(b) They can afford to invest the time needed.
(c) They tried a political system with many leaders and it did not work.
(d) The city cannot find more than a few people that the Romans would elect.
2. What do some of the creditors do to make the situation worse?
(a) They refuse to accept repayment of the debts owed to them.
(b) They exploit the debtors.
(c) They try to take property away from the debtors.
(d) They attack the debtors physically.
3. How does a leader's presence or absence on the battlefield affect the troops fighting in a war?
(a) The troops begin to lose morale if a leader is absent.
(b) The troops mostly prefer to be led by a soldier, rather than a military/political leader.
(c) The troops begin to lose morale if a leader is present.
(d) The troops fight the same whether a leader is present or not.
4. How is Horatius given a reprieve from the death penalty after his tragic response to his sister's reaction to the battle?
(a) He is considered to have been in an abnormal state after the battle.
(b) He is found innocent of all charges.
(c) No witnesses will testify against him.
(d) The senate does not want to lose him as a soldier.
5. How many debtors agree to sign up for the military the second time that the government asks them to?
(a) Half of them.
(b) A quarter of them.
(d) All of them.
6. Where does Romulus gather people from to help start Rome's population?
(a) All of the surrounding countries.
(b) All of the surrounding villages.
(c) A select amount of the surrounding countries.
(d) A select amount of the surrounding villages.
7. What do the people do when creditors attempt to collect repayment in the courts?
(a) They protest the government by holding big rallies.
(b) They file lawsuits against the creditors in retaliation.
(c) They encourage debtors not to attend the court proceedings.
(d) They form mobs to protect the debtors.
8. What causes Servilius and Appius to become unpopular with the Romans?
(a) The consul only lends half of the debtors the money needed to pay their debts.
(b) The consul does not keep their word with the debtors.
(c) The consul continues to ignore the creditors' unfair treatment of debtors.
(d) The consul attempts to collect the debts owed on the creditors' behalf.
9. Who does Quinctius lead the military against?
(a) The Aequians.
(b) The Ligurians.
(c) The Venetians.
(d) The Calabrians.
10. What planet's name is given to the temple to a deity?
11. What do the Romans surprisingly do after Cloelia successfully escapes from Porsena?
(a) They return her to Porsena.
(b) They do not recognize her.
(c) They separate her from her family.
(d) They refuse to allow her entrance to Rome.
12. How does Hostilius consider Pompilius's culture to be?
13. What does the great Roman warrior, Valerius, do once he enters politics?
(a) He gives more power to the Romans.
(b) He prosecutes all creditors for unlawful practices.
(c) He gives more power to the government.
(d) He removes all existing debts from the people.
14. How was the support of the people viewed by the Kings of early Rome?
(a) As a necessity.
(b) As valuable and easily attainable.
(c) As valuable, but not easily attainable.
(d) As unnecessary.
15. How does the slave described in the beginning of Rome's new consul learn of the conspirators' plans?
(a) He overhears their conversation while passing them on the street.
(b) He knows another slave who works for one of the conspirators.
(c) He works for one of the conspirators.
(d) He knows another slave who has overheard their conversation.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Part 2 of The Republic begins, what is a main focus of Rome's culture?
2. What does Brutus demand for the protection of the Roman government?
3. In the Romans' victory over the Albans, how many total combatant deaths are there?
4. What never changes, according to the opening of The Patricians at Bay?
5. What does Romulus become known as?
This section contains 758 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)