|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Brutus known as in the beginning of the second book?
(a) Brutus the Liberator.
(b) Brutus the Conqueror.
(c) Brutus the Betrayer.
(d) Brutus the Destroyer.
2. In the original book, how many chapter breaks are there in The Republic?
3. How does Hostilius consider Pompilius's culture to be?
4. Which one of the following is not an event that is included in the book as an ominous sign for Rome?
(a) Extensive flooding of the rivers.
(b) A volcanic eruption.
(c) A talking cow.
(d) Fire in the sky.
5. What is the slave given for his role in preventing the conspiracy?
(a) The chance to purchase land.
(b) Free land.
(c) Roman citizenship.
(d) A place in the senate.
6. How do the women stop the first known war between the inhabitants of Rome?
(a) They position themselves between the opposing armies.
(b) They threaten to leave the city forever.
(c) They speak to Romulus and convince him to stop it.
(d) They sign a petition and bring it to Romulus.
7. According to Livy, what is the one thing that is needed for all politicians to be elected into office?
(a) Financial skills.
(b) People skills.
(c) Monetary backing.
(d) Respected ancestors.
8. Where do the Romans adopt their religion from?
(a) The Turks.
(b) The Albanians.
(c) The Greeks.
(d) The Bulgarians.
9. What result does the death of King Romulus have on Rome?
(a) It causes the Romans to stop the civil war going on.
(b) It makes the Romans more vulnerable.
(c) It makes the Romans less vulnerable.
(d) It causes the Romans to wage a civil war.
10. What is a difficulty that the author encounters while writing about the history of Rome?
(a) The language.
(b) Omission of facts.
(c) The origins.
(d) Exaggeration of facts.
11. What do the Volscians continue to be for Rome during the time of two consuls?
(a) A major ally of Rome.
(b) A source of work for Rome.
(c) A major opponent of Rome.
(d) A source of food for Rome.
12. What is the reason given for why parents are eventually allowed to move into Rome?
(a) To be closer to relatives.
(b) To be political advisors.
(c) To contribute to the economy.
(d) To increase Rome's population even more.
13. Who does the slave turn the information of the conspiracy over to?
(a) The people.
(b) The consul.
(c) The senate.
(d) The army.
14. What does Pompilius primarily focus on?
(a) Eliminating the culture of Rome.
(b) Civilizing the culture of Rome.
(c) Granting more power to the senate.
(d) Granting more power to himself.
15. How common is the interaction between human and divine beings in Ancient Rome, according to Livy?
(a) It is very common.
(b) It is very uncommon.
(c) It happens only twice a year.
(d) It happens only once a year.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kinds of rights are the women promised when Rome is first beginning?
2. How do the surrounding political locations feel about Rome when it is first being created?
3. How is Romulus thought of as a leader?
4. How many introductory pieces are there that precede the main text of the book?
5. What procedure does Ancus re-institute?
This section contains 576 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)