|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the reason for Tarquin's failure at attempting to retake control of Rome?
(a) Tarquin does not allow his men to rest, so they are too tired to fight Rome.
(b) Tarquin lacks the number of men needed to battle Rome.
(c) The support of the people for Brutus.
(d) The people's fear of Brutus.
2. How does Rome use the Dictatorship during The Republic?
(a) Every other year.
(b) It replaces the consul.
(c) Only as needed.
3. How many years is Rome a Republic before other well known governments are established, such as Athens and Sparta?
(a) About 400 years.
(b) About 200 years.
(c) About 320 years.
(d) About 120 years.
4. How many years is a consul given to serve when the position is first created?
5. Which sign do Romulus and Remus become the symbol for?
6. What does Servius institute while serving as the King of Rome?
(a) The census.
(b) A new trade agreement with other countries.
(c) A limit to what the Roman people can earn.
(d) A limit to what elected officials can earn.
7. How long does Pompilius rule over Rome?
(a) Twenty-three years.
(b) Fifty-three years.
(c) Thirty-three years.
(d) Forty-three years.
8. After the disgrace Tarquin, his wife, and his son have brought to Rome, how many consuls do the Romans decide to elect to replace the kingship?
9. What is the perception of Rome while Pompilius presides there?
(a) It is peaceful and well disciplined.
(b) It is peaceful but lacks discipline.
(c) It is volatile but disciplined.
(d) It is volatile and undisciplined.
10. What procedure does Ancus re-institute?
(a) An election by the senate.
(b) The declaration of war.
(c) The declaration of peace.
(d) An election by the people.
11. What do the Romans surprisingly do after Cloelia successfully escapes from Porsena?
(a) They refuse to allow her entrance to Rome.
(b) They do not recognize her.
(c) They return her to Porsena.
(d) They separate her from her family.
12. Where do the Romans adopt their religion from?
(a) The Albanians.
(b) The Greeks.
(c) The Turks.
(d) The Bulgarians.
13. How does the slave described in the beginning of Rome's new consul learn of the conspirators' plans?
(a) He works for one of the conspirators.
(b) He knows another slave who has overheard their conversation.
(c) He overhears their conversation while passing them on the street.
(d) He knows another slave who works for one of the conspirators.
14. Who is the elderly man that brought the issue of debt to the forefront?
(a) A reputable soldier.
(b) A former Commander.
(c) A former King.
(d) A reputable politician.
15. In the original book, how many chapter breaks are there in The Republic?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the group of pacifists call themselves?
2. What is the slave given for his role in preventing the conspiracy?
3. How is Horatius given a reprieve from the death penalty after his tragic response to his sister's reaction to the battle?
4. How does Romulus urge the men to treat the women as Rome is beginning to build its population?
5. What does Cloelia do when she is held hostage for the second time?
This section contains 586 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)