|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What Latin city does Rome conquer in order to further increase its population?
2. How do the women stop the first known war between the inhabitants of Rome?
(a) They position themselves between the opposing armies.
(b) They sign a petition and bring it to Romulus.
(c) They threaten to leave the city forever.
(d) They speak to Romulus and convince him to stop it.
3. How many debtors agree to sign up for the military the second time that the government asks them to?
(b) A quarter of them.
(c) All of them.
(d) Half of them.
4. Which one of the following is not an event that is included in the book as an ominous sign for Rome?
(a) A volcanic eruption.
(b) A talking cow.
(c) Fire in the sky.
(d) Extensive flooding of the rivers.
5. What does the group of pacifists call themselves?
(a) The peace party.
(b) The anti-war coalition.
(c) The anti-war party.
(d) The peace coalition.
6. How was the support of the people viewed by the Kings of early Rome?
(a) As a necessity.
(b) As unnecessary.
(c) As valuable and easily attainable.
(d) As valuable, but not easily attainable.
7. In the original book, how many chapter breaks are there in The Republic?
8. How does the slave described in the beginning of Rome's new consul learn of the conspirators' plans?
(a) He overhears their conversation while passing them on the street.
(b) He knows another slave who has overheard their conversation.
(c) He knows another slave who works for one of the conspirators.
(d) He works for one of the conspirators.
9. What year does the book, Patricians at Bay begin?
(a) 476 BC.
(b) 567 BC.
(c) 576 BC.
(d) 467 BC.
10. What is the reason for Tarquin's failure at attempting to retake control of Rome?
(a) Tarquin does not allow his men to rest, so they are too tired to fight Rome.
(b) Tarquin lacks the number of men needed to battle Rome.
(c) The people's fear of Brutus.
(d) The support of the people for Brutus.
11. Why are most of the politicians in Rome oligarchs?
(a) They tried a political system with many leaders and it did not work.
(b) They have seen how political systems with many leaders in other regions have failed.
(c) They can afford to invest the time needed.
(d) The city cannot find more than a few people that the Romans would elect.
12. What level of involvement do the leaders have in the war that featured debtors who agreed to fight in exchange for their debt being resolved?
(a) They actively participate.
(b) They participate by positioning themselves near the battles.
(c) They temporarily leave Rome to avoid participating.
(d) They refuse to participate.
13. How long does the creation and establishment of Rome take?
14. How does Hostilius consider Pompilius's culture to be?
15. What result does the death of King Romulus have on Rome?
(a) It makes the Romans more vulnerable.
(b) It makes the Romans less vulnerable.
(c) It causes the Romans to wage a civil war.
(d) It causes the Romans to stop the civil war going on.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does a leader's presence or absence on the battlefield affect the troops fighting in a war?
2. Which relative of Hostilius set the precedent for the meaning of the word "hostile?"
3. What procedure does Ancus re-institute?
4. How does Romulus urge the men to treat the women as Rome is beginning to build its population?
5. How do the people view the senators' fear of the crowds resulting from the debt problem the city faces?
This section contains 661 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)