|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What never changes, according to the opening of The Patricians at Bay?
(a) Human nature.
(b) The way wars are fought.
(d) The way politics are handled.
2. According to Cloelia, what does gender influence?
3. How does Romulus urge the men to treat the women as Rome is beginning to build its population?
4. What is a difficulty that the author encounters while writing about the history of Rome?
(a) Omission of facts.
(b) The origins.
(c) The language.
(d) Exaggeration of facts.
5. What do the people do when creditors attempt to collect repayment in the courts?
(a) They file lawsuits against the creditors in retaliation.
(b) They encourage debtors not to attend the court proceedings.
(c) They form mobs to protect the debtors.
(d) They protest the government by holding big rallies.
6. How does the slave described in the beginning of Rome's new consul learn of the conspirators' plans?
(a) He knows another slave who works for one of the conspirators.
(b) He overhears their conversation while passing them on the street.
(c) He knows another slave who has overheard their conversation.
(d) He works for one of the conspirators.
7. According to Livy, what is the one thing that is needed for all politicians to be elected into office?
(a) Monetary backing.
(b) Respected ancestors.
(c) Financial skills.
(d) People skills.
8. How does the town of Pometia almost defeat the Romans?
(a) They attack the Romans using domestic devices.
(b) They outnumber the Romans by a two to one margin.
(c) They obtain more advanced weaponry than the Romans.
(d) They surprise the Romans with an army of well trained soldiers.
9. What type of republic do the Romans choose their form of government over?
10. What does the group of pacifists call themselves?
(a) The peace party.
(b) The anti-war party.
(c) The peace coalition.
(d) The anti-war coalition.
11. How long does the creation and establishment of Rome take?
12. What does Pompilius primarily focus on?
(a) Granting more power to the senate.
(b) Civilizing the culture of Rome.
(c) Eliminating the culture of Rome.
(d) Granting more power to himself.
13. How many tribes does Rome have at this point in their history in the second part of The Republic?
(a) Forty one.
(b) Twenty one.
(c) Thirty one.
(d) Fifty one.
14. What causes Servilius and Appius to become unpopular with the Romans?
(a) The consul continues to ignore the creditors' unfair treatment of debtors.
(b) The consul does not keep their word with the debtors.
(c) The consul only lends half of the debtors the money needed to pay their debts.
(d) The consul attempts to collect the debts owed on the creditors' behalf.
15. After the senate is formed, how is King Numa Pompilius elected?
(a) By forfeit.
(b) In a split decision.
(c) He is appointed.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are most of the politicians in Rome oligarchs?
2. What situation is the most common setting for a Dictator to be named of Rome?
3. How is Romulus thought of as a leader?
4. Who does Tarquin recruit to assist him in the effort to regain Rome after he is banished?
5. What kinds of rights are the women promised when Rome is first beginning?
This section contains 626 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)