|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the great Roman warrior, Valerius, do once he enters politics?
(a) He prosecutes all creditors for unlawful practices.
(b) He gives more power to the Romans.
(c) He removes all existing debts from the people.
(d) He gives more power to the government.
2. How do the women stop the first known war between the inhabitants of Rome?
(a) They sign a petition and bring it to Romulus.
(b) They threaten to leave the city forever.
(c) They speak to Romulus and convince him to stop it.
(d) They position themselves between the opposing armies.
3. What type of republic do the Romans choose their form of government over?
4. How long does the creation and establishment of Rome take?
5. Where does Romulus gather people from to help start Rome's population?
(a) All of the surrounding villages.
(b) A select amount of the surrounding countries.
(c) All of the surrounding countries.
(d) A select amount of the surrounding villages.
6. What planet's name is given to the temple to a deity?
7. How common is the interaction between human and divine beings in Ancient Rome, according to Livy?
(a) It happens only twice a year.
(b) It is very uncommon.
(c) It happens only once a year.
(d) It is very common.
8. What is Brutus known as in the beginning of the second book?
(a) Brutus the Betrayer.
(b) Brutus the Destroyer.
(c) Brutus the Conqueror.
(d) Brutus the Liberator.
9. What condition does Ancus find Rome to be in when he takes over?
(a) Both warlike and peaceful.
(b) Mainly peaceful.
(c) Neither warlike nor peaceful.
(d) Mainly warlike.
10. How is Romulus thought of as a leader?
(a) He is admired and respected.
(b) He is respected, but not admired.
(c) He is admired, but not respected.
(d) He is neither admired nor respected.
11. What level of involvement do the leaders have in the war that featured debtors who agreed to fight in exchange for their debt being resolved?
(a) They refuse to participate.
(b) They temporarily leave Rome to avoid participating.
(c) They actively participate.
(d) They participate by positioning themselves near the battles.
12. What does Servius institute while serving as the King of Rome?
(a) The census.
(b) A limit to what the Roman people can earn.
(c) A limit to what elected officials can earn.
(d) A new trade agreement with other countries.
13. What do the Romans do as a way to deal with the debt problem once it becomes more intense?
(a) They try to borrow money from other neighboring countries.
(b) They try to borrow money from other neighboring regions.
(c) They hold public meetings.
(d) They hold private meetings.
14. What does Brutus demand for the protection of the Roman government?
(a) That the elections will happen every four years.
(b) That he be declared King.
(c) That there will no longer be elections.
(d) That there will be no more Kings.
15. Who are the main perpetrators of the mass hysteria surrounding the battles the Romans fight in?
(a) People who live inside of the city.
(b) People who lost friends or relatives in the battles.
(c) People who live outside of the city.
(d) People who are actively involved in the battles.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many debtors agree to sign up for the military the second time that the government asks them to?
2. Who is the elderly man that brought the issue of debt to the forefront?
3. How do the Romans use war in the second part of The Republic?
4. What does the group, the Aurunci, consist of?
5. What does Pompilius primarily focus on?
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)