|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the Romans surprisingly do after Cloelia successfully escapes from Porsena?
(a) They separate her from her family.
(b) They refuse to allow her entrance to Rome.
(c) They do not recognize her.
(d) They return her to Porsena.
2. How attentive to the people's needs are the oligarchic rulers?
(a) They are rarely attentive to them by choice.
(b) It is impossible for them to be attentive to them.
(c) It depends on the cirumstances.
(d) They are always attentive to them by choice.
3. What is the slave given for his role in preventing the conspiracy?
(a) Free land.
(b) A place in the senate.
(c) Roman citizenship.
(d) The chance to purchase land.
4. What are the women asked to disregard pertaining to the men they found themselves with at the start of Rome?
(a) Their fondness.
(b) Their attachment.
(c) Their resentment.
(d) Their hatred.
5. How is Horatius given a reprieve from the death penalty after his tragic response to his sister's reaction to the battle?
(a) He is considered to have been in an abnormal state after the battle.
(b) He is found innocent of all charges.
(c) No witnesses will testify against him.
(d) The senate does not want to lose him as a soldier.
6. Which relative of Hostilius set the precedent for the meaning of the word "hostile?"
(a) His grandfather.
(b) His father.
(c) His brother.
(d) His uncle.
7. How do the surrounding political locations feel about Rome when it is first being created?
(a) They fear it.
(b) They do not like it.
(c) They are confused by it.
(d) They like it.
8. How many years is a consul given to serve when the position is first created?
9. How long does Pompilius rule over Rome?
(a) Forty-three years.
(b) Fifty-three years.
(c) Thirty-three years.
(d) Twenty-three years.
10. What year does the book, Patricians at Bay begin?
(a) 467 BC.
(b) 567 BC.
(c) 476 BC.
(d) 576 BC.
11. What do the Volscians continue to be for Rome during the time of two consuls?
(a) A source of work for Rome.
(b) A source of food for Rome.
(c) A major ally of Rome.
(d) A major opponent of Rome.
12. Who does the slave turn the information of the conspiracy over to?
(a) The senate.
(b) The people.
(c) The army.
(d) The consul.
13. How do the women stop the first known war between the inhabitants of Rome?
(a) They threaten to leave the city forever.
(b) They sign a petition and bring it to Romulus.
(c) They speak to Romulus and convince him to stop it.
(d) They position themselves between the opposing armies.
14. How does the town of Pometia almost defeat the Romans?
(a) They surprise the Romans with an army of well trained soldiers.
(b) They outnumber the Romans by a two to one margin.
(c) They attack the Romans using domestic devices.
(d) They obtain more advanced weaponry than the Romans.
15. According to Livy, what is the one thing that is needed for all politicians to be elected into office?
(a) Financial skills.
(b) People skills.
(c) Monetary backing.
(d) Respected ancestors.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Romans do as a way to deal with the debt problem once it becomes more intense?
2. What does Brutus demand for the protection of the Roman government?
3. What does Pompilius primarily focus on?
4. In the Romans' victory over the Albans, how many total combatant deaths are there?
5. Who are the main perpetrators of the mass hysteria surrounding the battles the Romans fight in?
This section contains 641 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)