|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What Latin city does Rome conquer in order to further increase its population?
2. What level of involvement do the leaders have in the war that featured debtors who agreed to fight in exchange for their debt being resolved?
(a) They refuse to participate.
(b) They participate by positioning themselves near the battles.
(c) They actively participate.
(d) They temporarily leave Rome to avoid participating.
3. How attentive to the people's needs are the oligarchic rulers?
(a) It is impossible for them to be attentive to them.
(b) It depends on the cirumstances.
(c) They are rarely attentive to them by choice.
(d) They are always attentive to them by choice.
4. How is the problem of debt described?
(a) As a past civil problem..
(b) As a manageable civil and social problem.
(c) As an unmanageable civil and social problem.
(d) As a past social problem.
5. How many years is Rome a Republic before other well known governments are established, such as Athens and Sparta?
(a) About 400 years.
(b) About 200 years.
(c) About 120 years.
(d) About 320 years.
6. What result does the death of King Romulus have on Rome?
(a) It causes the Romans to stop the civil war going on.
(b) It makes the Romans less vulnerable.
(c) It makes the Romans more vulnerable.
(d) It causes the Romans to wage a civil war.
7. How does Rome use the Dictatorship during The Republic?
(b) Only as needed.
(c) Every other year.
(d) It replaces the consul.
8. What never changes, according to the opening of The Patricians at Bay?
(a) The way wars are fought.
(b) Human nature.
(d) The way politics are handled.
9. How many debtors agree to sign up for the military the second time that the government asks them to?
(a) All of them.
(c) A quarter of them.
(d) Half of them.
10. According to Cloelia, what does gender influence?
11. What do the people do when creditors attempt to collect repayment in the courts?
(a) They file lawsuits against the creditors in retaliation.
(b) They encourage debtors not to attend the court proceedings.
(c) They form mobs to protect the debtors.
(d) They protest the government by holding big rallies.
12. Which one of the following is not an event that is included in the book as an ominous sign for Rome?
(a) Fire in the sky.
(b) Extensive flooding of the rivers.
(c) A talking cow.
(d) A volcanic eruption.
13. What condition does Ancus find Rome to be in when he takes over?
(a) Both warlike and peaceful.
(b) Mainly peaceful.
(c) Neither warlike nor peaceful.
(d) Mainly warlike.
14. How do the senators show their fear for the people's increasing awareness of the debt crisis?
(a) They resign.
(b) They attempt to talk with the people more directly.
(c) They stay away.
(d) They attempt to create new laws for time payments.
15. In the Romans' victory over the Albans, how many total combatant deaths are there?
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the political leaders of Rome gain the support of the people early on?
2. In the original book, how many chapter breaks are there in The Republic?
3. Who does Tarquin recruit to assist him in the effort to regain Rome after he is banished?
4. What threat causes the senate to offer debtors a relief from their debts if they agree to serve in the military?
5. After the senate is formed, how is King Numa Pompilius elected?
This section contains 608 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)