|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What procedure does Ancus re-institute?
(a) An election by the people.
(b) An election by the senate.
(c) The declaration of peace.
(d) The declaration of war.
2. How many years is Rome a Republic before other well known governments are established, such as Athens and Sparta?
(a) About 400 years.
(b) About 120 years.
(c) About 320 years.
(d) About 200 years.
3. What year does the book, Patricians at Bay begin?
(a) 567 BC.
(b) 576 BC.
(c) 476 BC.
(d) 467 BC.
4. What kinds of rights are the women promised when Rome is first beginning?
(a) More rights than were common for Roman wives.
(b) None of the rights proper to Roman wives.
(c) Less rights than were common for Roman wives.
(d) All of the rights proper to Roman wives.
5. How do the people view the senators' fear of the crowds resulting from the debt problem the city faces?
(a) They view it as negative.
(b) They view it as positive.
(c) They ignore it.
(d) They are confused by it.
6. Who does Tarquin recruit to assist him in the effort to regain Rome after he is banished?
(a) The Ligurians.
(b) The Venetians.
(c) The Etruscans.
(d) The Umbrians.
7. How long did Romulus rule for?
(a) Twenty-seven years.
(b) Forty-seven years.
(c) Seventeen years.
(d) Thirty-seven years.
8. What do the Romans do as a way to deal with the debt problem once it becomes more intense?
(a) They try to borrow money from other neighboring countries.
(b) They try to borrow money from other neighboring regions.
(c) They hold private meetings.
(d) They hold public meetings.
9. How does Romulus urge the men to treat the women as Rome is beginning to build its population?
10. How does the slave described in the beginning of Rome's new consul learn of the conspirators' plans?
(a) He knows another slave who has overheard their conversation.
(b) He works for one of the conspirators.
(c) He knows another slave who works for one of the conspirators.
(d) He overhears their conversation while passing them on the street.
11. How do the Romans use war in the second part of The Republic?
(a) Preservation, resources, and expansion.
(b) Only preservation and expansion.
(c) Only preservation and resources.
(d) Only preservation.
12. What does Romulus become known as?
(a) The destruction of Rome.
(b) The direction of Rome.
(c) The foundation of Rome.
(d) The preservation of Rome.
13. How do the political leaders of Rome gain the support of the people early on?
(a) By following the advice of established military leaders.
(b) By serving in the military along with the soldiers.
(c) By avoiding the wars they wage.
(d) By successfully predicting the outcome of the wars they wage.
14. Which relative of Hostilius set the precedent for the meaning of the word "hostile?"
(a) His brother.
(b) His grandfather.
(c) His uncle.
(d) His father.
15. How are the Sabine people described in the book?
(a) They ignore Rome until they are attacked.
(b) They are not aware of Rome at the time the book was written.
(c) They are a recurrent opponent of Rome.
(d) They are recurrent allies of Rome.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Servius institute while serving as the King of Rome?
2. What is the population of Rome estimated to be during first part of The Patricians at Bay?
3. What level of involvement do the leaders have in the war that featured debtors who agreed to fight in exchange for their debt being resolved?
4. After the senate is formed, how is King Numa Pompilius elected?
5. What does the group of pacifists call themselves?
This section contains 608 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)