|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What result does the death of King Romulus have on Rome?
(a) It makes the Romans less vulnerable.
(b) It causes the Romans to stop the civil war going on.
(c) It makes the Romans more vulnerable.
(d) It causes the Romans to wage a civil war.
2. How does the town of Pometia almost defeat the Romans?
(a) They obtain more advanced weaponry than the Romans.
(b) They attack the Romans using domestic devices.
(c) They surprise the Romans with an army of well trained soldiers.
(d) They outnumber the Romans by a two to one margin.
3. What is the slave given for his role in preventing the conspiracy?
(a) A place in the senate.
(b) Free land.
(c) The chance to purchase land.
(d) Roman citizenship.
4. What do the people do when creditors attempt to collect repayment in the courts?
(a) They form mobs to protect the debtors.
(b) They protest the government by holding big rallies.
(c) They file lawsuits against the creditors in retaliation.
(d) They encourage debtors not to attend the court proceedings.
5. How many days are taken to contemplate the origin of the lights in the sky that are seen after a military campaign?
6. Who does Quinctius lead the military against?
(a) The Ligurians.
(b) The Venetians.
(c) The Aequians.
(d) The Calabrians.
7. According to Livy, how much of a difference was there between the rich and the poor early in Rome's history?
(a) No difference.
(b) Rome had no wealthy people in its beginnings.
(c) Not very much difference.
(d) A huge difference.
8. What procedure does Ancus re-institute?
(a) The declaration of peace.
(b) An election by the people.
(c) The declaration of war.
(d) An election by the senate.
9. What does Cloelia do when she is held hostage for the second time?
(a) She oversees another escape by the hostages.
(b) She oversees the food supply for the hostages.
(c) She oversees a group of boy hostages.
(d) She oversees a group of girl hostages.
10. How do the Romans use war in the second part of The Republic?
(a) Only preservation and expansion.
(b) Only preservation and resources.
(c) Only preservation.
(d) Preservation, resources, and expansion.
11. Where do the Romans adopt their religion from?
(a) The Turks.
(b) The Greeks.
(c) The Bulgarians.
(d) The Albanians.
12. What kinds of rights are the women promised when Rome is first beginning?
(a) Less rights than were common for Roman wives.
(b) More rights than were common for Roman wives.
(c) All of the rights proper to Roman wives.
(d) None of the rights proper to Roman wives.
13. Where does Romulus gather people from to help start Rome's population?
(a) A select amount of the surrounding countries.
(b) A select amount of the surrounding villages.
(c) All of the surrounding villages.
(d) All of the surrounding countries.
14. How does Livy describe Tarquin's rule over Rome?
15. Who does the slave turn the information of the conspiracy over to?
(a) The senate.
(b) The people.
(c) The consul.
(d) The army.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Livy, what is the one thing that is needed for all politicians to be elected into office?
2. Who does Tarquin recruit to assist him in the effort to regain Rome after he is banished?
3. What is the perception of Rome while Pompilius presides there?
4. What does Ancus do to solve the increasing crime problem Rome faces?
5. How long does the creation and establishment of Rome take?
This section contains 601 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)