|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 3, The Patricians at Bay: Chapter 1, Rome and the Patricians, Part 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Horatius given a reprieve from the death penalty after his tragic response to his sister's reaction to the battle?
(a) The senate does not want to lose him as a soldier.
(b) He is found innocent of all charges.
(c) No witnesses will testify against him.
(d) He is considered to have been in an abnormal state after the battle.
2. What is the reason for Tarquin's failure at attempting to retake control of Rome?
(a) The support of the people for Brutus.
(b) Tarquin does not allow his men to rest, so they are too tired to fight Rome.
(c) Tarquin lacks the number of men needed to battle Rome.
(d) The people's fear of Brutus.
3. Who does Quinctius lead the military against?
(a) The Venetians.
(b) The Calabrians.
(c) The Ligurians.
(d) The Aequians.
4. What do the Romans do as a way to deal with the debt problem once it becomes more intense?
(a) They try to borrow money from other neighboring countries.
(b) They hold private meetings.
(c) They try to borrow money from other neighboring regions.
(d) They hold public meetings.
5. How does Hostilius consider Pompilius's culture to be?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Livy, what is the one thing that is needed for all politicians to be elected into office?
2. What does the great Roman warrior, Valerius, do once he enters politics?
3. What condition does Ancus find Rome to be in when he takes over?
4. What do the Romans surprisingly do after Cloelia successfully escapes from Porsena?
5. Who is the elderly man that brought the issue of debt to the forefront?
This section contains 337 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)