|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 3, The Patricians at Bay: Chapter 1, Rome and the Patricians, Part 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the Romans use war in the second part of The Republic?
(a) Preservation, resources, and expansion.
(b) Only preservation.
(c) Only preservation and expansion.
(d) Only preservation and resources.
2. What does Ancus do to solve the increasing crime problem Rome faces?
(a) He has guards patrol the city.
(b) He builds the first prison.
(c) He becomes more selective about which cities he takes people from in the future.
(d) He imposes a curfew on the city.
3. What do the Volscians continue to be for Rome during the time of two consuls?
(a) A source of food for Rome.
(b) A major opponent of Rome.
(c) A major ally of Rome.
(d) A source of work for Rome.
4. What does the group of pacifists call themselves?
(a) The anti-war coalition.
(b) The anti-war party.
(c) The peace party.
(d) The peace coalition.
5. What kinds of rights are the women promised when Rome is first beginning?
(a) All of the rights proper to Roman wives.
(b) Less rights than were common for Roman wives.
(c) More rights than were common for Roman wives.
(d) None of the rights proper to Roman wives.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the group, the Aurunci, consist of?
2. What is the perception of Rome while Pompilius presides there?
3. How does a leader's presence or absence on the battlefield affect the troops fighting in a war?
4. What serious problem do the Romans turn to religion for help with?
5. According to Livy, how much of a difference was there between the rich and the poor early in Rome's history?
This section contains 360 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)