|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 3, The Patricians at Bay: Chapter 1, Rome and the Patricians, Part 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the slave described in the beginning of Rome's new consul learn of the conspirators' plans?
(a) He works for one of the conspirators.
(b) He knows another slave who has overheard their conversation.
(c) He overhears their conversation while passing them on the street.
(d) He knows another slave who works for one of the conspirators.
2. What threat causes the senate to offer debtors a relief from their debts if they agree to serve in the military?
(a) The threat of the Tungrians.
(b) The threat of the Nervians.
(c) The threat of the Volscians.
(d) The threat of the Batavians.
3. According to Livy, what is the one thing that is needed for all politicians to be elected into office?
(a) Respected ancestors.
(b) Financial skills.
(c) Monetary backing.
(d) People skills.
4. What do the Romans do as a way to deal with the debt problem once it becomes more intense?
(a) They hold private meetings.
(b) They try to borrow money from other neighboring countries.
(c) They try to borrow money from other neighboring regions.
(d) They hold public meetings.
5. What is the reason given for why parents are eventually allowed to move into Rome?
(a) To contribute to the economy.
(b) To be closer to relatives.
(c) To increase Rome's population even more.
(d) To be political advisors.
Short Answer Questions
1. What never changes, according to the opening of The Patricians at Bay?
2. How are the Sabine people described in the book?
3. How many tribes does Rome have at this point in their history in the second part of The Republic?
4. How many introductory pieces are there that precede the main text of the book?
5. How is the problem of debt described?
This section contains 345 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)