|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2, The Republic: Chapter 1, Rome as a Republic, Part 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the Romans surprisingly do after Cloelia successfully escapes from Porsena?
(a) They return her to Porsena.
(b) They separate her from her family.
(c) They refuse to allow her entrance to Rome.
(d) They do not recognize her.
2. What is the reason for Tarquin's failure at attempting to retake control of Rome?
(a) The people's fear of Brutus.
(b) Tarquin does not allow his men to rest, so they are too tired to fight Rome.
(c) Tarquin lacks the number of men needed to battle Rome.
(d) The support of the people for Brutus.
3. After the senate is formed, how is King Numa Pompilius elected?
(a) By forfeit.
(b) He is appointed.
(d) In a split decision.
4. What does Romulus become known as?
(a) The destruction of Rome.
(b) The foundation of Rome.
(c) The direction of Rome.
(d) The preservation of Rome.
5. What is made to honor Cloelia's bravery?
(a) A plaque.
(b) A painting of her portrait.
(c) A statue.
(d) An official day of recognition.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Servius institute while serving as the King of Rome?
2. How do the women stop the first known war between the inhabitants of Rome?
3. How is Horatius given a reprieve from the death penalty after his tragic response to his sister's reaction to the battle?
4. After the disgrace Tarquin, his wife, and his son have brought to Rome, how many consuls do the Romans decide to elect to replace the kingship?
5. How many years is a consul given to serve when the position is first created?
This section contains 343 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)