|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2, The Republic: Chapter 1, Rome as a Republic, Part 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Cloelia, what does gender influence?
2. What kinds of rights are the women promised when Rome is first beginning?
(a) Less rights than were common for Roman wives.
(b) More rights than were common for Roman wives.
(c) None of the rights proper to Roman wives.
(d) All of the rights proper to Roman wives.
3. How is Horatius given a reprieve from the death penalty after his tragic response to his sister's reaction to the battle?
(a) He is found innocent of all charges.
(b) The senate does not want to lose him as a soldier.
(c) No witnesses will testify against him.
(d) He is considered to have been in an abnormal state after the battle.
4. What does Ancus do to solve the increasing crime problem Rome faces?
(a) He has guards patrol the city.
(b) He builds the first prison.
(c) He becomes more selective about which cities he takes people from in the future.
(d) He imposes a curfew on the city.
5. What are the women asked to disregard pertaining to the men they found themselves with at the start of Rome?
(a) Their fondness.
(b) Their hatred.
(c) Their attachment.
(d) Their resentment.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the reason for Tarquin's failure at attempting to retake control of Rome?
2. How many introductory pieces are there that precede the main text of the book?
3. What is a difficulty that the author encounters while writing about the history of Rome?
4. Where do the Romans adopt their religion from?
5. Where does Romulus gather people from to help start Rome's population?
This section contains 332 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)