|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2, The Republic: Chapter 2, Rome as a Republic, Part 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the great Roman warrior, Valerius, do once he enters politics?
(a) He prosecutes all creditors for unlawful practices.
(b) He gives more power to the government.
(c) He removes all existing debts from the people.
(d) He gives more power to the Romans.
2. How is Horatius given a reprieve from the death penalty after his tragic response to his sister's reaction to the battle?
(a) No witnesses will testify against him.
(b) The senate does not want to lose him as a soldier.
(c) He is considered to have been in an abnormal state after the battle.
(d) He is found innocent of all charges.
3. How do the Romans use war in the second part of The Republic?
(a) Only preservation and resources.
(b) Only preservation and expansion.
(c) Preservation, resources, and expansion.
(d) Only preservation.
4. What does Cloelia do when she is held hostage for the second time?
(a) She oversees a group of girl hostages.
(b) She oversees the food supply for the hostages.
(c) She oversees another escape by the hostages.
(d) She oversees a group of boy hostages.
5. How are the Sabine people described in the book?
(a) They are a recurrent opponent of Rome.
(b) They ignore Rome until they are attacked.
(c) They are not aware of Rome at the time the book was written.
(d) They are recurrent allies of Rome.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Brutus known as in the beginning of the second book?
2. What is made to honor Cloelia's bravery?
3. What is the reason given for why parents are eventually allowed to move into Rome?
4. How many years is a consul given to serve when the position is first created?
5. How many years is Rome a Republic before other well known governments are established, such as Athens and Sparta?
This section contains 336 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)