|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Carlos recalls dreaming vividly about a Mexican song being played on a __________, as well as a beautiful woman.
2. Where do La Gorda and Lydia go at the beginning of this section, according to the storytelling?
3. Name one of the apprentices who is supposed to be the heart of the rattlesnake coupling.
4. Which of the apprentices is the one who has lived in the area where the stone ruins rest?
5. Where does Carlos meet people that he knows when he continues to have his dreams?
Short Essay Questions
1. To whom are the pyramids harmful, according to Pablito at the beginning of the book?
2. What happens during the process of ghost dreaming, according to Carlos and La Gorda?
3. What does Dona Soledad have to share with Carlos when he encounters her in the house?
4. What happens when Pablito tells the others he is going to Tula in order to die?
5. What is missing from Silvio Manuel's house when the apprentices, and especially Josefina, see it?
6. What is the sign that the apprentices are ready to move on after the scuffle between Carlos and the women?
7. Who are the three sisters with whom Carlos Castaneda is reunited during the course of this book?
8. What does Carlos realize about the four amorphous blobs of light he has seen? How did he respond to them?
9. What has Don Juan foreseen happening to the apprentices when they are working together?
10. What happens to Carlos' body when he arrives back in Los Angeles and wakes up one morning?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dreaming is an important part of the work that Carlos and La Gorda do with each other and within themselves.
Part 1: Why do you think that dreaming is a time when a lot of important work can be done by the apprentices?
Part 2: Do you think that your own dreams are able to help you learn about your life?
Part 3: How do you think that dreaming could help the apprentices to learn more about their power?
Essay Topic 2
Carlos is warned that Don Juan's warriors may do anything to him when they meet, though they will not kill him.
Part 1: Why do you think that the warriors are unable to kill Carlos?
Part 2: Do you think that all people need to encounter warriors during their lives?
Part 3: What are some of the lessons that Carlos will learn as a result of meeting the warriors?
Essay Topic 3
Pablito runs away to Tula to die, but Carlos does not think that this needs to happen, so he runs after him in order to help.
Part 1: Do you think that Carlos was correct in running after a person who has decided to die?
Part 2: What would you have done if one of your friends had told you they wanted to die?
Part 3: How do you think that Pablito felt to have someone else come after him during this time?
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)