|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Carlos attacked the blobs of light which appeared to be threatening by attacking them on their vulnerable ______ sides.
2. __________ had supposedly gone beyond the wall of fog seeking La Gorda, nearly died, and then recognized no one after that.
3. Which person, out of duty, decides to act as if nothing is wrong with the situation?
4. __________says that Silvio gives Carlos all that he is, causing Carlos to not be seen as the leader anymore.
5. When he hears the name of ____________, Carlos gets an odd shiver in his belly and alone sees where this person is.
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens during the process of ghost dreaming, according to Carlos and La Gorda?
2. What does Dona Soledad have to share with Carlos when he encounters her in the house?
3. What is the image in Carlos' mind which plays when he is feverish in bed one day?
4. What does La Gorda seem to recall in painful memories to the group about Carlos?
5. What happens when Pablito tells the others he is going to Tula in order to die?
6. What is the explanation for Carlos' physical experience which La Gorda shares with him?
7. What do La Gorda and Carlos agree to do when they begin to do dreaming together?
8. What are the two places the apprentices go to after shredding their old clothes in Veracruz?
9. What is the order that Don Juan gives to Carlos in the dreaming about his interactions with La Gorda?
10. What promise of Don Juan's does Nestor remind the group of apprentices of?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Don Juan has been training Carlos and the others to be warriors in the world.
Part 1: Why do you think that being a warrior is an important role? Do you think it is?
Part 2: How do you think modern day warriors are trained? Are they always soldiers?
Part 3: What do you think would happen if there were no warriors in the world?
Essay Topic 2
La Gorda decides that they need to have a leader among the apprentices so that they might continue to learn, it seems.
Part 1: What is the importance of a leader among those who are trying to learn?
Part 2: Do you think that each of your classes has a leader among the class?
Part 3: How do you choose or designate a leader in your own life?
Essay Topic 3
Carlos eventually learns that he must leave La Gorda in order to focus on his own attention.
Part 1: Do you think that it's necessary to learn about one's self alone?
Part 2: How do you think Carlos felt upon having to leave La Gorda for a while?
Part 3: Why do you think the timing was right for Carlos to be leaving La Gorda? Or wasn't it?
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)