|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the apprentices is the only one in a good mood, according to the way the story is told?
2. Carlos realizes that he has learned to turn off his _________ and he believes that La Gorda is the catalyst.
3. Which of the other apprentices knows that they have been there with other men and women?
4. Which group has been cold to Carlos up until the point that they begin to remember some forgotten past deed?
5. As a result of working with the tiger in the dream, Carlos begins to feel more ______________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dona Soledad have to share with Carlos when he encounters her in the house?
2. What does Pablito offer about the ruins which Carlos has now visited in Tula?
3. What happens when the apprentices try to reach a power spot in the mountains?
4. What is missing from Silvio Manuel's house when the apprentices, and especially Josefina, see it?
5. What is the image in Carlos' mind which plays when he is feverish in bed one day?
6. What is the explanation for Carlos' physical experience which La Gorda shares with him?
7. What are the two places the apprentices go to after shredding their old clothes in Veracruz?
8. What has Don Juan foreseen happening to the apprentices when they are working together?
9. What does Carlos do in his dream once he realizes what he is supposed to do?
10. What is the sign that the apprentices are ready to move on after the scuffle between Carlos and the women?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Castaneda seems to be a student of Don Juan's who is never quite done learning with him, even if Don Juan is gone.
Part 1: Do you think that learning is ever something which ends?
Part 2: Why do you think that Castaneda has to continue to learn in his life?
Part 3: In what ways do you think that you still have learning to do? Or are you satisfied with all you have learned so far?
Essay Topic 2
Pablito runs away to Tula to die, but Carlos does not think that this needs to happen, so he runs after him in order to help.
Part 1: Do you think that Carlos was correct in running after a person who has decided to die?
Part 2: What would you have done if one of your friends had told you they wanted to die?
Part 3: How do you think that Pablito felt to have someone else come after him during this time?
Essay Topic 3
The apprentices are seen as having to work together during their lessons and in their travels.
Part 1: Why do you think that the apprentices have to work together in their studies?
Part 2: Could an apprentice teach themselves what they need to learn? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you prefer to study in groups or by yourself? Why?
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)