|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. ___________ allows that Carlos may not have been trying to hurt anyone, but he might be an unwilling envoy.
2. Carlos realizes that he has learned to turn off his _________ and he believes that La Gorda is the catalyst.
3. Who tries to stop Carlos from stopping the person who decides to go off to die in the city?
4. Which of the apprentices is the one who has lived in the area where the stone ruins rest?
5. What is the name of the person who got Carlos the peyote plants he used to need when working with Don Juan?
Short Essay Questions
1. What has Don Juan foreseen happening to the apprentices when they are working together?
2. What happens when the apprentices try to reach a power spot in the mountains?
3. What happens during the process of ghost dreaming, according to Carlos and La Gorda?
4. What happens the time that Carlos begins to dream about himself sleeping, as La Gorda finds out from asking?
5. What happens when Carlos suggests they immerse themselves in dreaming?
6. What are the two places the apprentices go to after shredding their old clothes in Veracruz?
7. What does La Gorda seem to recall in painful memories to the group about Carlos?
8. Who are the three sisters with whom Carlos Castaneda is reunited during the course of this book?
9. What is the explanation for Carlos' physical experience which La Gorda shares with him?
10. To whom are the pyramids harmful, according to Pablito at the beginning of the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Carlos eventually learns that he must leave La Gorda in order to focus on his own attention.
Part 1: Do you think that it's necessary to learn about one's self alone?
Part 2: How do you think Carlos felt upon having to leave La Gorda for a while?
Part 3: Why do you think the timing was right for Carlos to be leaving La Gorda? Or wasn't it?
Essay Topic 2
Carlos accepts the fate to walk away from the others when he is told that he must, as this is the way of a warrior.
Part 1: Why do you think that Carlos didn't fight the dismissal by the other apprentices?
Part 2: Do you think you would have argued if you were in Carlos' shoes?
Part 3: How do you think you would feel if someone suddenly asked you to leave your position at work or at school?
Essay Topic 3
Pablito runs away to Tula to die, but Carlos does not think that this needs to happen, so he runs after him in order to help.
Part 1: Do you think that Carlos was correct in running after a person who has decided to die?
Part 2: What would you have done if one of your friends had told you they wanted to die?
Part 3: How do you think that Pablito felt to have someone else come after him during this time?
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)