|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does La Gorda meet with daily with Eligio while dreaming together, something which shocks everyone?
2. La Gorda admits to feeling asexually like __________ woman at this certain point of the story.
3. Who says he/she will meet up with Carlos at a later time since they are destined to work together as warriors?
4. Carlos attacked the blobs of light which appeared to be threatening by attacking them on their vulnerable ______ sides.
5. Name one of the apprentices who is supposed to be a part of the belly of the rattlesnake.
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Carlos' body when he arrives back in Los Angeles and wakes up one morning?
2. What do Carlos and La Gorda see when they are sitting on the bench in Oaxaca and resting their heads together?
3. What is the explanation for Carlos' physical experience which La Gorda shares with him?
4. What does Pablito offer about the ruins which Carlos has now visited in Tula?
5. What is the image in Carlos' mind which plays when he is feverish in bed one day?
6. What happens when the apprentices try to reach a power spot in the mountains?
7. What is the sign that the apprentices are ready to move on after the scuffle between Carlos and the women?
8. What is the order that Don Juan gives to Carlos in the dreaming about his interactions with La Gorda?
9. To whom are the pyramids harmful, according to Pablito at the beginning of the book?
10. What does Carlos realize about the four amorphous blobs of light he has seen? How did he respond to them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Carlos and La Gorda seem to share a bond which can not be easily described. It seems to be a bond in which they can be more powerful together than separate.
Part 1: Why do you think La Gorda and Carlos share a strong bond?
Part 2: Do you think that being with a partner always means that you will have a stronger ability to learn and grow?
Part 3: What might have happened has Carlos and La Gorda not have worked together?
Essay Topic 2
Castaneda seems to be a student of Don Juan's who is never quite done learning with him, even if Don Juan is gone.
Part 1: Do you think that learning is ever something which ends?
Part 2: Why do you think that Castaneda has to continue to learn in his life?
Part 3: In what ways do you think that you still have learning to do? Or are you satisfied with all you have learned so far?
Essay Topic 3
Carlos decides to act as though nothing is wrong, since he feels this is his duty.
Part 1: Do you think it is right to act as though nothing is wrong in your life, even if it is?
Part 2: How do you think Carlos should have acted when he returned to Los Angeles?
Part 3: Why do you think Carlos feels it is his duty to act as though nothing is wrong?
This section contains 733 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)