|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the pressure in Carlos' body begin when he is still in Los Angeles?
2. Carlos realizes that he has learned to turn off his _________ and he believes that La Gorda is the catalyst.
3. How many times do Eligio and Josefina have to snatch La Gorda back from her dreaming at this point of the story?
4. Which person, out of duty, decides to act as if nothing is wrong with the situation?
5. Who is the character who needs to move back and forth between two areas - Los Angeles and Mexico?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the two places the apprentices go to after shredding their old clothes in Veracruz?
2. What promise of Don Juan's does Nestor remind the group of apprentices of?
3. What is the order that Don Juan gives to Carlos in the dreaming about his interactions with La Gorda?
4. What does Dona Soledad have to share with Carlos when he encounters her in the house?
5. What is missing from Silvio Manuel's house when the apprentices, and especially Josefina, see it?
6. What happens when Carlos suggests they immerse themselves in dreaming?
7. Who are the three Genaros with whom Carlos is reunited during the course of this book's story?
8. What do La Gorda and Carlos agree to do when they begin to do dreaming together?
9. What does Carlos realize about the four amorphous blobs of light he has seen? How did he respond to them?
10. What does Pablito offer about the ruins which Carlos has now visited in Tula?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Carlos realizes that there is a Nagual Woman who is also a part of Don Juan.
Part 1: Why do you think it's possible that there is a female counterpart to Don Juan?
Part 2: Is it always necessary to have a female balance to the male energy?
Part 3: How do you think Carlos' training might have been different without the presence of women?
Essay Topic 2
When Carlos and La Gorda immerse themselves in dreaming, their fear and distrust lifts.
Part 1: Why do you think that fear and distrust leave as a result of dreaming together?
Part 2: Do you think it's possible to be in a relationship with others and not have some fear or distrust?
Part 3: How do you think your life would change without fear or distrust?
Essay Topic 3
The group of apprentices doesn't always see eye to eye on things, with the women often disagreeing with the men.
Part 1: Why do you think the men and the women might not be able to see eye to eye?
Part 2: Would the apprentices be able to learn more if they were always able to see eye to eye?
Part 3: What are some of the benefits to having disagreements with others?
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)