|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Carlos remembers when he was a younger apprentice that he was hidden away while ___________ had a lady caller.
2. What is NOT one of the tasks which the apprentices might have to do when they are dreaming?
3. As a result of working with the tiger in the dream, Carlos begins to feel more ______________.
4. Carlos recalls dreaming vividly about a Mexican song being played on a __________, as well as a beautiful woman.
5. Carlos volunteers to _____________ when La Gorda despairs when seeing the large man blocking their way.
Short Essay Questions
1. Who are the three Genaros with whom Carlos is reunited during the course of this book's story?
2. What does Pablito offer about the ruins which Carlos has now visited in Tula?
3. What happens the time that Carlos begins to dream about himself sleeping, as La Gorda finds out from asking?
4. What promise of Don Juan's does Nestor remind the group of apprentices of?
5. What are the two places the apprentices go to after shredding their old clothes in Veracruz?
6. What does Carlos realize about the four amorphous blobs of light he has seen? How did he respond to them?
7. Who are the three sisters with whom Carlos Castaneda is reunited during the course of this book?
8. What is missing from Silvio Manuel's house when the apprentices, and especially Josefina, see it?
9. What is the explanation for Carlos' physical experience which La Gorda shares with him?
10. What is the sign that the apprentices are ready to move on after the scuffle between Carlos and the women?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
La Gorda tells Carlos that losing the human form brings the freedom to remember oneself.
Part 1: Why do you think that losing the human form brings the freedom to remember oneself?
Part 2: What do you think about the idea of losing one's human form? Does this mean death to you?
Part 3: How do you think a person might be able to lose their human form without dying?
Essay Topic 2
Dreaming is an important part of the work that Carlos and La Gorda do with each other and within themselves.
Part 1: Why do you think that dreaming is a time when a lot of important work can be done by the apprentices?
Part 2: Do you think that your own dreams are able to help you learn about your life?
Part 3: How do you think that dreaming could help the apprentices to learn more about their power?
Essay Topic 3
Castaneda seems to be a student of Don Juan's who is never quite done learning with him, even if Don Juan is gone.
Part 1: Do you think that learning is ever something which ends?
Part 2: Why do you think that Castaneda has to continue to learn in his life?
Part 3: In what ways do you think that you still have learning to do? Or are you satisfied with all you have learned so far?
This section contains 703 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)