|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the stage of dreaming in which the dreamer takes action?
2. What is the name of the person who got Carlos the peyote plants he used to need when working with Don Juan?
3. Where does La Gorda locate everyone in order to bring them back to Arizona?
4. The common task of La Gorda and Carlos is the ______________, which is where they can be on the same level.
5. La Gorda and Carlos begin to remember a woman in a ___________ car from their times with Don Juan.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the order that Don Juan gives to Carlos in the dreaming about his interactions with La Gorda?
2. What happens the time that Carlos begins to dream about himself sleeping, as La Gorda finds out from asking?
3. When can the first attention be accessed when a person is awake, according to the lessons?
4. What happens when Carlos suggests they immerse themselves in dreaming?
5. What is the sign that the apprentices are ready to move on after the scuffle between Carlos and the women?
6. How does La Gorda shock the apprentices when she talks to them about Carlos?
7. What does Pablito offer about the ruins which Carlos has now visited in Tula?
8. Who are the three sisters with whom Carlos Castaneda is reunited during the course of this book?
9. What is the image in Carlos' mind which plays when he is feverish in bed one day?
10. What happens to Carlos' body when he arrives back in Los Angeles and wakes up one morning?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Carlos has had experiences in the past which were induced by drugs, though now he is having similar experiences without drugs.
Part 1: What do you think the value of using those hallucinogenic drugs may have been for Carlos?
Part 2: Do you think that drugs are always necessary in order to introduce a person to new experiences?
Part 3: Why do you think that Carlos is now able to have the same experiences he's had in the past, but without drugs?
Essay Topic 2
Carlos decides to act as though nothing is wrong, since he feels this is his duty.
Part 1: Do you think it is right to act as though nothing is wrong in your life, even if it is?
Part 2: How do you think Carlos should have acted when he returned to Los Angeles?
Part 3: Why do you think Carlos feels it is his duty to act as though nothing is wrong?
Essay Topic 3
La Gorda tells Carlos that losing the human form brings the freedom to remember oneself.
Part 1: Why do you think that losing the human form brings the freedom to remember oneself?
Part 2: What do you think about the idea of losing one's human form? Does this mean death to you?
Part 3: How do you think a person might be able to lose their human form without dying?
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)