|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. _____________ is the ultimate master of intent and true chief, who makes Don Juan take care of Carlos.
2. La Gorda admits to feeling asexually like __________ woman at this certain point of the story.
3. Which of the apprentices is the one who has lived in the area where the stone ruins rest?
4. Who says he/she will meet up with Carlos at a later time since they are destined to work together as warriors?
5. Carlos volunteers to _____________ when La Gorda despairs when seeing the large man blocking their way.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the first of the not-doings which Carlos has to do according to Silvio as he instructs Carlos and La Gorda?
2. What happens when La Gorda declares that the power spot has given them freedom at this point of the story?
3. What happens to Don Juan in order to help to cure him of lust during this apprenticeship?
4. What happens when Don Juan and the others explode from within when they are undergoing their training?
5. What are the two places the apprentices go to after shredding their old clothes in Veracruz?
6. Why does Zuleica have to work quickly to teach the idea of second attention to the apprentices?
7. What happens the time that Carlos begins to dream about himself sleeping, as La Gorda finds out from asking?
8. What does Carlos realize about the four amorphous blobs of light he has seen? How did he respond to them?
9. What propels La Gorda and Carlos to experience extraordinary clarity and speed up of time?
10. Who is guarding the rural house in central Mexico, according to the story?
Essay Topic 1
Carlos has had experiences in the past which were induced by drugs, though now he is having similar experiences without drugs.
Part 1: What do you think the value of using those hallucinogenic drugs may have been for Carlos?
Part 2: Do you think that drugs are always necessary in order to introduce a person to new experiences?
Part 3: Why do you think that Carlos is now able to have the same experiences he's had in the past, but without drugs?
Essay Topic 2
Pablito runs away to Tula to die, but Carlos does not think that this needs to happen, so he runs after him in order to help.
Part 1: Do you think that Carlos was correct in running after a person who has decided to die?
Part 2: What would you have done if one of your friends had told you they wanted to die?
Part 3: How do you think that Pablito felt to have someone else come after him during this time?
Essay Topic 3
Carlos decides to act as though nothing is wrong, since he feels this is his duty.
Part 1: Do you think it is right to act as though nothing is wrong in your life, even if it is?
Part 2: How do you think Carlos should have acted when he returned to Los Angeles?
Part 3: Why do you think Carlos feels it is his duty to act as though nothing is wrong?
This section contains 1,999 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)