|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. La Gorda feels that dreaming together with Carlos will be a __________ since they have already done it together.
2. Which of the other apprentices knows that they have been there with other men and women?
3. Fearing for his life, Carlos begins to change, "I will dart past the _________ to be free."
4. Who is certain that Don Juan and Don Genaro are close by, though this person cannot see them?
5. Where do La Gorda and Lydia go at the beginning of this section, according to the storytelling?
Short Essay Questions
1. To whom are the pyramids harmful, according to Pablito at the beginning of the book?
2. How does La Gorda shock the apprentices when she talks to them about Carlos?
3. What does Carlos realize about the four amorphous blobs of light he has seen? How did he respond to them?
4. What has Don Juan foreseen happening to the apprentices when they are working together?
5. What do La Gorda and Carlos agree to do when they begin to do dreaming together?
6. What happens during the process of ghost dreaming, according to Carlos and La Gorda?
7. Who are the three sisters with whom Carlos Castaneda is reunited during the course of this book?
8. When can the first attention be accessed when a person is awake, according to the lessons?
9. What do Carlos and La Gorda see when they are sitting on the bench in Oaxaca and resting their heads together?
10. What does Pablito offer about the ruins which Carlos has now visited in Tula?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Carlos eventually learns that he must leave La Gorda in order to focus on his own attention.
Part 1: Do you think that it's necessary to learn about one's self alone?
Part 2: How do you think Carlos felt upon having to leave La Gorda for a while?
Part 3: Why do you think the timing was right for Carlos to be leaving La Gorda? Or wasn't it?
Essay Topic 2
Carlos has had experiences in the past which were induced by drugs, though now he is having similar experiences without drugs.
Part 1: What do you think the value of using those hallucinogenic drugs may have been for Carlos?
Part 2: Do you think that drugs are always necessary in order to introduce a person to new experiences?
Part 3: Why do you think that Carlos is now able to have the same experiences he's had in the past, but without drugs?
Essay Topic 3
Carlos accepts the fate to walk away from the others when he is told that he must, as this is the way of a warrior.
Part 1: Why do you think that Carlos didn't fight the dismissal by the other apprentices?
Part 2: Do you think you would have argued if you were in Carlos' shoes?
Part 3: How do you think you would feel if someone suddenly asked you to leave your position at work or at school?
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)