|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. One of the structures at the ruins has been destroyed by warriors of the _________ attention, according to some.
2. Where does the pressure in Carlos' body begin when he is still in Los Angeles?
3. Carlos remembers when he was a younger apprentice that he was hidden away while ___________ had a lady caller.
4. The apprentices and Carlos decide to go for ____________, which allows them time to talk.
5. Why does Carlos begin to realize what he needs to do within the dream he continues to have?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the order that Don Juan gives to Carlos in the dreaming about his interactions with La Gorda?
2. What promise of Don Juan's does Nestor remind the group of apprentices of?
3. What does La Gorda seem to recall in painful memories to the group about Carlos?
4. What happens when Pablito tells the others he is going to Tula in order to die?
5. What do Carlos and La Gorda see when they are sitting on the bench in Oaxaca and resting their heads together?
6. What is the sign that the apprentices are ready to move on after the scuffle between Carlos and the women?
7. What happens when Carlos suggests they immerse themselves in dreaming?
8. To whom are the pyramids harmful, according to Pablito at the beginning of the book?
9. What is the explanation for Carlos' physical experience which La Gorda shares with him?
10. What has Don Juan foreseen happening to the apprentices when they are working together?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Carlos and La Gorda continue to work together, remembering things which they didn't realize they had forgotten.
Part 1: Why do you think certain memories only come up at certain times?
Part 2: Do you think that you have certain memories which you will not be able to remember in the present, but that you will be able to remember in the future?
Part 3: How do you think that you could make old memories resurface in your own mind?
Essay Topic 2
Carlos accepts the fate to walk away from the others when he is told that he must, as this is the way of a warrior.
Part 1: Why do you think that Carlos didn't fight the dismissal by the other apprentices?
Part 2: Do you think you would have argued if you were in Carlos' shoes?
Part 3: How do you think you would feel if someone suddenly asked you to leave your position at work or at school?
Essay Topic 3
Pablito runs away to Tula to die, but Carlos does not think that this needs to happen, so he runs after him in order to help.
Part 1: Do you think that Carlos was correct in running after a person who has decided to die?
Part 2: What would you have done if one of your friends had told you they wanted to die?
Part 3: How do you think that Pablito felt to have someone else come after him during this time?
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)