|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many times do Eligio and Josefina have to snatch La Gorda back from her dreaming at this point of the story?
2. La Gorda insists they have lived in that house while on the ________ side, so this should have given them power.
3. What is Carlos' position among the apprentices which causes him to make the decision to stop the man from going off to die?
4. __________ had supposedly gone beyond the wall of fog seeking La Gorda, nearly died, and then recognized no one after that.
5. What do the apprentices examine when they come into a new town?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Carlos suggests they immerse themselves in dreaming?
2. What is the order that Don Juan gives to Carlos in the dreaming about his interactions with La Gorda?
3. What happens when the apprentices try to reach a power spot in the mountains?
4. To whom are the pyramids harmful, according to Pablito at the beginning of the book?
5. What has Don Juan foreseen happening to the apprentices when they are working together?
6. What is the explanation for Carlos' physical experience which La Gorda shares with him?
7. What do La Gorda and Carlos agree to do when they begin to do dreaming together?
8. Who are the three sisters with whom Carlos Castaneda is reunited during the course of this book?
9. Who are the three Genaros with whom Carlos is reunited during the course of this book's story?
10. What promise of Don Juan's does Nestor remind the group of apprentices of?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Carlos decides to act as though nothing is wrong, since he feels this is his duty.
Part 1: Do you think it is right to act as though nothing is wrong in your life, even if it is?
Part 2: How do you think Carlos should have acted when he returned to Los Angeles?
Part 3: Why do you think Carlos feels it is his duty to act as though nothing is wrong?
Essay Topic 2
Carlos is shocked by himself when he takes command of the apprentices during one point of the story.
Part 1: Why does taking command feel surprising to Carlos?
Part 2: Does Carlos seem to be a person who is going to be comfortable with being in command?
Part 3: Why do you think that it's hard to be in command of others who are on the same level as you?
Essay Topic 3
Pablito runs away to Tula to die, but Carlos does not think that this needs to happen, so he runs after him in order to help.
Part 1: Do you think that Carlos was correct in running after a person who has decided to die?
Part 2: What would you have done if one of your friends had told you they wanted to die?
Part 3: How do you think that Pablito felt to have someone else come after him during this time?
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)