|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. One of the structures at the ruins has been destroyed by warriors of the _________ attention, according to some.
2. Who pushed Carlos in the airline office, which signifies another power spot for him?
3. To where does Carlos suggest that he and La Gorda go for a drive when they are talking together?
4. Who is the character who needs to move back and forth between two areas - Los Angeles and Mexico?
5. Who is NOT one of the Genaros with whom Carlos is reunited in this story as told in the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does La Gorda shock the apprentices when she talks to them about Carlos?
2. What happens when the apprentices try to reach a power spot in the mountains?
3. What does Dona Soledad have to share with Carlos when he encounters her in the house?
4. What is the explanation for Carlos' physical experience which La Gorda shares with him?
5. What happens to Carlos' body when he arrives back in Los Angeles and wakes up one morning?
6. What happens when Pablito tells the others he is going to Tula in order to die?
7. What does Carlos realize about the four amorphous blobs of light he has seen? How did he respond to them?
8. What happens during the process of ghost dreaming, according to Carlos and La Gorda?
9. What do Carlos and La Gorda see when they are sitting on the bench in Oaxaca and resting their heads together?
10. What is the image in Carlos' mind which plays when he is feverish in bed one day?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Carlos is warned that Don Juan's warriors may do anything to him when they meet, though they will not kill him.
Part 1: Why do you think that the warriors are unable to kill Carlos?
Part 2: Do you think that all people need to encounter warriors during their lives?
Part 3: What are some of the lessons that Carlos will learn as a result of meeting the warriors?
Essay Topic 2
Carlos is shocked by himself when he takes command of the apprentices during one point of the story.
Part 1: Why does taking command feel surprising to Carlos?
Part 2: Does Carlos seem to be a person who is going to be comfortable with being in command?
Part 3: Why do you think that it's hard to be in command of others who are on the same level as you?
Essay Topic 3
Carlos has had experiences in the past which were induced by drugs, though now he is having similar experiences without drugs.
Part 1: What do you think the value of using those hallucinogenic drugs may have been for Carlos?
Part 2: Do you think that drugs are always necessary in order to introduce a person to new experiences?
Part 3: Why do you think that Carlos is now able to have the same experiences he's had in the past, but without drugs?
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)