|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which group has been cold to Carlos up until the point that they begin to remember some forgotten past deed?
2. Who is certain that Don Juan and Don Genaro are close by, though this person cannot see them?
3. Who is the one that first mentioned the idea of ghost dreaming, which La Gorda nervously recalls?
4. One time during Carlos' dream, the street becomes a primeval _________ in which Carlos finds himself.
5. What does Carlos do when La Gorda insists that Carlos had been a close helper of Silvio's?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Carlos do in his dream once he realizes what he is supposed to do?
2. Who are the three Genaros with whom Carlos is reunited during the course of this book's story?
3. What has Don Juan foreseen happening to the apprentices when they are working together?
4. What happens to Carlos' body when he arrives back in Los Angeles and wakes up one morning?
5. What promise of Don Juan's does Nestor remind the group of apprentices of?
6. What does Carlos realize about the four amorphous blobs of light he has seen? How did he respond to them?
7. What do Carlos and La Gorda see when they are sitting on the bench in Oaxaca and resting their heads together?
8. What happens when La Gorda declares that the power spot has given them freedom at this point of the story?
9. What does Pablito offer about the ruins which Carlos has now visited in Tula?
10. What happens during the process of ghost dreaming, according to Carlos and La Gorda?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Attention makes the world, Carlos and La Gorda understand this through their teachings.
Part 1: Why do you think that attention is what makes the world?
Part 2: Can there ever be a lack of attention in the world? What would happen?
Part 3: How do you think that your attention wavers in the world? Or is it always focused?
Essay Topic 2
Carlos has had experiences in the past which were induced by drugs, though now he is having similar experiences without drugs.
Part 1: What do you think the value of using those hallucinogenic drugs may have been for Carlos?
Part 2: Do you think that drugs are always necessary in order to introduce a person to new experiences?
Part 3: Why do you think that Carlos is now able to have the same experiences he's had in the past, but without drugs?
Essay Topic 3
When Carlos and La Gorda immerse themselves in dreaming, their fear and distrust lifts.
Part 1: Why do you think that fear and distrust leave as a result of dreaming together?
Part 2: Do you think it's possible to be in a relationship with others and not have some fear or distrust?
Part 3: How do you think your life would change without fear or distrust?
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)