|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. La Gorda demands nine days of ___________ after she and Carlos have talked, in order to allow for a chance to heal.
2. Which of the apprentices is the only one in a good mood, according to the way the story is told?
3. Which of the apprentices decides to run away to Tula in order to die, though Carlos will not let him?
4. Carlos has visited ________ where there are stone ruins where colossal figures are said to walk at night.
5. Carlos remembers when he was a younger apprentice that he was hidden away while ___________ had a lady caller.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is missing from Silvio Manuel's house when the apprentices, and especially Josefina, see it?
2. What happens during the process of ghost dreaming, according to Carlos and La Gorda?
3. To whom are the pyramids harmful, according to Pablito at the beginning of the book?
4. What is the image in Carlos' mind which plays when he is feverish in bed one day?
5. What is the order that Don Juan gives to Carlos in the dreaming about his interactions with La Gorda?
6. What is the explanation for Carlos' physical experience which La Gorda shares with him?
7. What does Pablito offer about the ruins which Carlos has now visited in Tula?
8. What happens when Carlos suggests they immerse themselves in dreaming?
9. What does La Gorda seem to recall in painful memories to the group about Carlos?
10. What do La Gorda and Carlos agree to do when they begin to do dreaming together?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
La Gorda decides that they need to have a leader among the apprentices so that they might continue to learn, it seems.
Part 1: What is the importance of a leader among those who are trying to learn?
Part 2: Do you think that each of your classes has a leader among the class?
Part 3: How do you choose or designate a leader in your own life?
Essay Topic 2
Pablito runs away to Tula to die, but Carlos does not think that this needs to happen, so he runs after him in order to help.
Part 1: Do you think that Carlos was correct in running after a person who has decided to die?
Part 2: What would you have done if one of your friends had told you they wanted to die?
Part 3: How do you think that Pablito felt to have someone else come after him during this time?
Essay Topic 3
Don Juan has been training Carlos and the others to be warriors in the world.
Part 1: Why do you think that being a warrior is an important role? Do you think it is?
Part 2: How do you think modern day warriors are trained? Are they always soldiers?
Part 3: What do you think would happen if there were no warriors in the world?
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)