|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Josefina seems to think that Silvio, or the ___________, is on the other side of the bridge.
2. Who is NOT one of the Genaros with whom Carlos is reunited in this story as told in the book?
3. Which of the apprentices decides to run away to Tula in order to die, though Carlos will not let him?
4. Name one of the apprentices who is supposed to be a part of the belly of the rattlesnake.
5. Carlos realizes that he has learned to turn off his _________ and he believes that La Gorda is the catalyst.
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens during the process of ghost dreaming, according to Carlos and La Gorda?
2. How does La Gorda shock the apprentices when she talks to them about Carlos?
3. What is the order that Don Juan gives to Carlos in the dreaming about his interactions with La Gorda?
4. Who are the three Genaros with whom Carlos is reunited during the course of this book's story?
5. What does Carlos realize about the four amorphous blobs of light he has seen? How did he respond to them?
6. What is the image in Carlos' mind which plays when he is feverish in bed one day?
7. What does Carlos do in his dream once he realizes what he is supposed to do?
8. What do La Gorda and Carlos agree to do when they begin to do dreaming together?
9. When can the first attention be accessed when a person is awake, according to the lessons?
10. Who are the three sisters with whom Carlos Castaneda is reunited during the course of this book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Carlos and La Gorda immerse themselves in dreaming, their fear and distrust lifts.
Part 1: Why do you think that fear and distrust leave as a result of dreaming together?
Part 2: Do you think it's possible to be in a relationship with others and not have some fear or distrust?
Part 3: How do you think your life would change without fear or distrust?
Essay Topic 2
Carlos is shocked by himself when he takes command of the apprentices during one point of the story.
Part 1: Why does taking command feel surprising to Carlos?
Part 2: Does Carlos seem to be a person who is going to be comfortable with being in command?
Part 3: Why do you think that it's hard to be in command of others who are on the same level as you?
Essay Topic 3
Carlos decides to act as though nothing is wrong, since he feels this is his duty.
Part 1: Do you think it is right to act as though nothing is wrong in your life, even if it is?
Part 2: How do you think Carlos should have acted when he returned to Los Angeles?
Part 3: Why do you think Carlos feels it is his duty to act as though nothing is wrong?
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)