|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tries to stop Carlos from stopping the person who decides to go off to die in the city?
2. Who is the one that first mentioned the idea of ghost dreaming, which La Gorda nervously recalls?
3. La Gorda demands nine days of ___________ after she and Carlos have talked, in order to allow for a chance to heal.
4. La Gorda admits to feeling asexually like __________ woman at this certain point of the story.
5. Which of the apprentices is the only one in a good mood, according to the way the story is told?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does La Gorda shock the apprentices when she talks to them about Carlos?
2. What does Carlos do in his dream once he realizes what he is supposed to do?
3. What do Carlos and La Gorda see when they are sitting on the bench in Oaxaca and resting their heads together?
4. What does Dona Soledad have to share with Carlos when he encounters her in the house?
5. What happens to Carlos' body when he arrives back in Los Angeles and wakes up one morning?
6. What does La Gorda think about the Nagual Woman and what her purpose is for Carlos?
7. What does La Gorda seem to recall in painful memories to the group about Carlos?
8. What is the image in Carlos' mind which plays when he is feverish in bed one day?
9. What are the two places the apprentices go to after shredding their old clothes in Veracruz?
10. What happens when Pablito tells the others he is going to Tula in order to die?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Carlos is warned that Don Juan's warriors may do anything to him when they meet, though they will not kill him.
Part 1: Why do you think that the warriors are unable to kill Carlos?
Part 2: Do you think that all people need to encounter warriors during their lives?
Part 3: What are some of the lessons that Carlos will learn as a result of meeting the warriors?
Essay Topic 2
Attention makes the world, Carlos and La Gorda understand this through their teachings.
Part 1: Why do you think that attention is what makes the world?
Part 2: Can there ever be a lack of attention in the world? What would happen?
Part 3: How do you think that your attention wavers in the world? Or is it always focused?
Essay Topic 3
The apprentices are seen as having to work together during their lessons and in their travels.
Part 1: Why do you think that the apprentices have to work together in their studies?
Part 2: Could an apprentice teach themselves what they need to learn? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you prefer to study in groups or by yourself? Why?
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)