|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the preliminary state of dreaming in which the senses grow dormant, though the person is still aware?
2. What is NOT one of the tasks which the apprentices might have to do when they are dreaming?
3. Who is the one that first mentioned the idea of ghost dreaming, which La Gorda nervously recalls?
4. What is the second stage of dreaming in which the light dissipates and the dreamer views a static, frozen tableau?
5. One time during Carlos' dream, the street becomes a primeval _________ in which Carlos finds himself.
Short Essay Questions
1. What promise of Don Juan's does Nestor remind the group of apprentices of?
2. What does La Gorda seem to recall in painful memories to the group about Carlos?
3. What is the order that Don Juan gives to Carlos in the dreaming about his interactions with La Gorda?
4. What does Florinda do when Carlos panics after being asked about Don Juan's teachings?
5. What propels La Gorda and Carlos to experience extraordinary clarity and speed up of time?
6. What happens to Don Juan in order to help to cure him of lust during this apprenticeship?
7. How might the structure of Naguals be described, according to the story and to Don Juan?
8. What do La Gorda and Carlos agree to do when they begin to do dreaming together?
9. What do Carlos and La Gorda see when they are sitting on the bench in Oaxaca and resting their heads together?
10. To whom are the pyramids harmful, according to Pablito at the beginning of the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Carlos is shocked by himself when he takes command of the apprentices during one point of the story.
Part 1: Why does taking command feel surprising to Carlos?
Part 2: Does Carlos seem to be a person who is going to be comfortable with being in command?
Part 3: Why do you think that it's hard to be in command of others who are on the same level as you?
Essay Topic 2
La Gorda decides that they need to have a leader among the apprentices so that they might continue to learn, it seems.
Part 1: What is the importance of a leader among those who are trying to learn?
Part 2: Do you think that each of your classes has a leader among the class?
Part 3: How do you choose or designate a leader in your own life?
Essay Topic 3
Carlos accepts the fate to walk away from the others when he is told that he must, as this is the way of a warrior.
Part 1: Why do you think that Carlos didn't fight the dismissal by the other apprentices?
Part 2: Do you think you would have argued if you were in Carlos' shoes?
Part 3: How do you think you would feel if someone suddenly asked you to leave your position at work or at school?
This section contains 2,005 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)