|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Once Carlos remembers his ________ side, then the apprentices might be the ones who will work with him as a Nagual.
2. What is the name of the person who got Carlos the peyote plants he used to need when working with Don Juan?
3. Fearing for his life, Carlos begins to change, "I will dart past the _________ to be free."
4. ___________ allows that Carlos may not have been trying to hurt anyone, but he might be an unwilling envoy.
5. What is NOT one of the tasks which the apprentices might have to do when they are dreaming?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the sign that the apprentices are ready to move on after the scuffle between Carlos and the women?
2. What is missing from Silvio Manuel's house when the apprentices, and especially Josefina, see it?
3. What does Carlos realize about the four amorphous blobs of light he has seen? How did he respond to them?
4. Who are the three Genaros with whom Carlos is reunited during the course of this book's story?
5. What does Carlos do in his dream once he realizes what he is supposed to do?
6. What are the two places the apprentices go to after shredding their old clothes in Veracruz?
7. What do Carlos and La Gorda see when they are sitting on the bench in Oaxaca and resting their heads together?
8. What happens during the process of ghost dreaming, according to Carlos and La Gorda?
9. What does Pablito offer about the ruins which Carlos has now visited in Tula?
10. What happens the time that Carlos begins to dream about himself sleeping, as La Gorda finds out from asking?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Carlos accepts the fate to walk away from the others when he is told that he must, as this is the way of a warrior.
Part 1: Why do you think that Carlos didn't fight the dismissal by the other apprentices?
Part 2: Do you think you would have argued if you were in Carlos' shoes?
Part 3: How do you think you would feel if someone suddenly asked you to leave your position at work or at school?
Essay Topic 2
Don Juan has been training Carlos and the others to be warriors in the world.
Part 1: Why do you think that being a warrior is an important role? Do you think it is?
Part 2: How do you think modern day warriors are trained? Are they always soldiers?
Part 3: What do you think would happen if there were no warriors in the world?
Essay Topic 3
The group of apprentices doesn't always see eye to eye on things, with the women often disagreeing with the men.
Part 1: Why do you think the men and the women might not be able to see eye to eye?
Part 2: Would the apprentices be able to learn more if they were always able to see eye to eye?
Part 3: What are some of the benefits to having disagreements with others?
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)