|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Nora gave Ms. Hanff some pictures of whom to take home?
2. Ms. Hanff found a note from Mr. Buckley offering what?
3. On Sunday, July 4, Ms. Hanff had lunch with whom?
4. Mr. Buckley sent a thank you note for what?
5. Was Ms. Hanff impressed with the statue?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Ms. Hanff finally make it to dinner at Nora's?
2. Describe Ms. Hanff's last couple days in London and trip home.
3. What did Ms. Hanff do on Friday, July 9?
4. What happened after Ms. Hanff insisted on seeing Trinity College and Oriel?
5. How was Ms. Hanff's trip extended? What did she do after she decided to extend her stay?
6. What was Ms. Hanff asked to do for Reader's Digest?
7. What did Ms. Hanff do during the day on Thursday, July 15?
8. What took place on Saturday, July 17?
9. What did Ms. Hanff do with Mary Scott?
10. What took place on Saturday, July 10?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ms. Hanff has worries prior to arriving in England.
Part 1) What are her worries? Why does she have these worries?
Part 2) What does this reveal about her confidence regarding her book and its popularity?
Part 3) How are her fears alleviated? How might her opinion change regarding her book, throughout the story? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Ms. Hanff makes many new acquaintances.
Part 1) Describe these new acquaintances. How does she come to meet them? How important is her book to the making of these new acquaintances?
Part 2) How important are these acquaintances to Ms. Hanff's stay in England? Why?
Part 3) Do you believe she will keep in touch with these acquaintances? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Ms. Hanff's character is revealed throughout the story.
Part 1) Describe her character at the beginning of the story. How is her character revealed throughout this story?
Part 2) How does he character compare to others in this story? How does this affect her relationship with them?
Part 3) How many of her character traits are purely her own and how many might be considered American character traits? Explain.
This section contains 935 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)