|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On Sunday, July 18, Ms. Hanff spent the morning doing what?
2. Ms. Hanff found a note from Mr. Buckley offering what?
3. Ms. Hanff found a note from Mr. Buckley inviting her to have lunch with whom?
4. Ms. Hanff's driver was ___________________ who drove cabs to make extra money.
5. What happened to the car that was to drive her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened on Sunday, July 18?
2. What did Ms. Hanff do in Oxford?
3. What did Ms. Hanff do with Mary Scott?
4. What happened on Sunday, July 4?
5. What happened after Ms. Hanff insisted on seeing Trinity College and Oriel?
6. What took place on Saturday, July 17?
7. What did Ms. Hanff do with Sheila on Friday, July 23?
8. At the hotel, what did a tourist say to Ms. Hanff? Why might they have done this?
9. Describe Ms. Hanff's last couple days in London and trip home.
10. What happened on Wednesday, July 7?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ms. Hanff sees many sights while in London.
Part 1) Describe five of these sights. Why does she see these sights? Why are these sights important to her?
Part 2) Why does she include all of these places in her book? What is her purpose for telling the reader about these places?
Part 3) How do these places compare to what one might see in the U.S.? How are they similar? How are they different? What might the reasons be for these similarities and differences?
Essay Topic 2
Ms. Hanff makes many new acquaintances.
Part 1) Describe these new acquaintances. How does she come to meet them? How important is her book to the making of these new acquaintances?
Part 2) How important are these acquaintances to Ms. Hanff's stay in England? Why?
Part 3) Do you believe she will keep in touch with these acquaintances? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Ms. Hanff and Mr. Buckley have a growing relationship.
Part 1) How do these two meet? Describe their relationship when they first meet. How does it change over time?
Part 2) What causes this change? How important is Mr. Buckley to Ms. Hanff's stay and the story? Explain.
Part 3) Why does this relationship grow into a good friendship by the end of the story? Will it be lasting? Why or why not?
This section contains 936 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)