|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ms. Hanff had her hair done before having dinner with whom?
2. Ms. Hanff's driver was ___________________ who drove cabs to make extra money.
3. Because of this lunch date, she decided to visit a few ___________ sights even though she had never been truly interested in him.
4. The couple told Ms. Hanff they had once gone to New York City but were too afraid of what to leave their hotel room?
5. On Thursday, July 22, Ms. Hanff sat for Ena once again. Leo showed up early and did what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Ms. Hanff asked to do for Reader's Digest?
2. What happened after Ms. Hanff insisted on seeing Trinity College and Oriel?
3. What happened on Sunday, July 18?
4. What did the Colonel and Ms. Hanff do on Wednesday, July 21?
5. Describe Ms. Hanff's last couple days in London and trip home.
6. What did Ms. Hanff do with Nora and Sheil on Sunday, July 11?
7. What did Ms. Hanff do in Oxford?
8. Describe the party at Nora's house.
9. What took place on Wednesday, July 14?
10. Was Ms. Hanff able to see Joyce Grenfell present a dialogue? Why or why not?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ms. Hanff receives a great deal of attention.
Part 1) Describe this attention. Why does she receive so much attention? Why is she surprised by this attention?
Part 2) How does Ms. Hanff react to this attention? Why does she react this way? Does her reaction change as the book progresses? Why or why not?
Part 3) How is she changed by this attention? How does fame affect people today? Give one example to support your response.
Essay Topic 2
Ms. Hanff's character is revealed throughout the story.
Part 1) Describe her character at the beginning of the story. How is her character revealed throughout this story?
Part 2) How does he character compare to others in this story? How does this affect her relationship with them?
Part 3) How many of her character traits are purely her own and how many might be considered American character traits? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Her business sense is revealed at several points in this book.
Part 1) Describe the moments in the book in which Ms. Hanff focuses on the business end of this trip. Is the business of promoting her book important in this story? Why or why not?
Part 2) Why does the book end with Ms. Hanff focusing on the work she must do upon arrival in New York? How does this affect the end of the book?
Part 3) What is the most significant part of this trip for Ms. Hanff, as well as for the book? Why?
This section contains 976 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)