|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Ms. Hanff do with a notebook that she received?
2. Ms. Hanff went to the Actor's Church to see whose ashes?
3. Ms. Hanff found a note from Mr. Buckley offering what?
4. Ms. Hanff was asked to write three pages on what to be printed for the Reader's Digest?
5. Afterward, the Grenfells took Ms. Hanff on what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened on Saturday, July 3?
2. What did Ms. Hanff do with Nora and Sheil on Sunday, July 11?
3. What did Ms. Hanff do on Friday, July 9?
4. What did Ms. Hanff do with Mary Scott?
5. What took place on Wednesday, July 14?
6. What took place on Tuesday, July 6?
7. What took place on Saturday, July 17?
8. What did Ms. Hanff do on the way to dinner with Jean and Ted Ely?
9. What did Ms. Hanff and Mr. Buckley do on Monday, July 19?
10. Describe the party at Nora's house.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A theme in this story is of friendship.
Part 1) How is this a theme? Why is friendship so important to this story?
Part 2) What friendships does Ms. Hanff make? How do these friendships affect her trip and her confidence in herself and her work?
Part 3) Describe a friendship of your own that is important to you. Why is it important? How does it influence you?
Essay Topic 2
Ms. Hanff sees many sights while in London.
Part 1) Describe five of these sights. Why does she see these sights? Why are these sights important to her?
Part 2) Why does she include all of these places in her book? What is her purpose for telling the reader about these places?
Part 3) How do these places compare to what one might see in the U.S.? How are they similar? How are they different? What might the reasons be for these similarities and differences?
Essay Topic 3
Ms. Hanff has written a book inspired by England.
Part 1) Write a summary of this book. Why did she choose to write a book about England? Why is this so important to her?
Part 2) How important might this subject be to others? Why might one be a fan of her book?
Part 3) If you wrote a book inspired by a place, what place would that be? Why?
This section contains 958 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)