|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mr. Buckley sent a thank you note for what?
2. Afterward where did they visit?
3. On Monday, July 19, Ms. Hanff met Mr. Buckley for __________ at Old Wine Shades in Martin Lane, Cannon Street.
4. Of what did this place make her think?
5. Ena asked if Ms. Hanff would do what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Ms. Hanff do with Mary Scott?
2. Describe the party at Nora's house.
3. What did the Colonel and Ms. Hanff do on Wednesday, July 21?
4. Describe Ms. Hanff's last couple days in London and trip home.
5. How did Ms. Hanff finally make it to dinner at Nora's?
6. At the hotel, what did a tourist say to Ms. Hanff? Why might they have done this?
7. What took place on Saturday, July 17?
8. What happened on Sunday, July 4?
9. What did Ms. Hanff do with Ena on Thursday, July 22?
10. What did Ms. Hanff and Mr. Buckley do on Monday, July 19?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A theme in this story is of friendship.
Part 1) How is this a theme? Why is friendship so important to this story?
Part 2) What friendships does Ms. Hanff make? How do these friendships affect her trip and her confidence in herself and her work?
Part 3) Describe a friendship of your own that is important to you. Why is it important? How does it influence you?
Essay Topic 2
Ms. Hanff's stay is extended.
Part 1) Why is her stay extended? How does she feel about this? What does she do with this extra time? How does it enhance her trip?
Part 2) Why does she not continue it for longer? Should she have stayed longer? Why or why not? What clues were given to show she was slightly homesick?
Part 3) What would you have done with an extra ten days? What types of activities would you have participated in? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Ms. Hanff grows slightly homesick.
Part 1) what clues are given to reveal a sense of homesickness? Why is she homesick?
Part 2) How might Ms. Hanff's trip to London affect her view of London? Will she still feel the same way about London? Why or why not? How might it alter her feelings toward New York? Why?
Part 3) How does going away from home affect you? Do you grow homesick? Do you wish to stay away longer? Explain.
This section contains 997 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)