|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Ms. Hanff do with a notebook that she received?
2. Outside the Abbey, they passed what?
3. Afterward the Colonel and Ms. Hanff had dinner with whom?
4. A guard in a wool uniform sat on what?
5. Afterward where did they visit?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Ms. Hanff do on Friday, July 9?
2. What did the Colonel and Ms. Hanff do on Wednesday, July 21?
3. What did Ms. Hanff agree to do while at dinner with Leo and Ena?
4. What was Ms. Hanff asked to do for Reader's Digest?
5. What did Ms. Hanff do on the way to dinner with Jean and Ted Ely?
6. What did Ms. Hanff do with Ena on Thursday, July 22?
7. Describe Ms. Hanff's last couple days in London and trip home.
8. What took place on Tuesday, July 6?
9. Describe the party at Nora's house.
10. What took place on Wednesday, July 14?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ms. Hanff receives a great deal of attention.
Part 1) Describe this attention. Why does she receive so much attention? Why is she surprised by this attention?
Part 2) How does Ms. Hanff react to this attention? Why does she react this way? Does her reaction change as the book progresses? Why or why not?
Part 3) How is she changed by this attention? How does fame affect people today? Give one example to support your response.
Essay Topic 2
Fanfare and celebrity are a theme.
Part 1) How are these a theme? How is this theme revealed throughout the story? How important is fanfare and celebrity to the story? Explain.
Part 2) What does the author think about fanfare and celebrity? How do you know this?
Part 3) What are your own thoughts about fanfare and celebrity? How is it good? How can it be bad? How can one be affected by it?
Essay Topic 3
Life is different in this story, both due to cultural differences and a different period of time.
Part 1) Describe the British culture that Ms. Hanff encounters. How different is it from Ms. Hanff's culture? Use the text to support your response.
Part 2) What problems arise because of these differences? How are these problems resolved?
Part 3) How does this period of time, as a whole, differ from out own? What does this reveal about both British and American culture?
This section contains 921 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)