|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ms. Hanff was asked to write three pages on what to be printed for the Reader's Digest?
2. Mary Scott took Ms. Hanff on a walking tour of what?
3. How did this guest feel about the level of importance Ms. Hanff had somehow gained in London?
4. Mr. Buckley took Ms. Hanff to see Syon House and ___________.
5. On Monday, July 19, Ms. Hanff met Mr. Buckley for __________ at Old Wine Shades in Martin Lane, Cannon Street.
Short Essay Questions
1. What took place on Tuesday, July 6?
2. What did Ms. Hanff do in Oxford?
3. What took place on Saturday, July 10?
4. What did Ms. Hanff do with Mary Scott?
5. What did Ms. Hanff do during the day on Thursday, July 15?
6. What did Ms. Hanff agree to do while at dinner with Leo and Ena?
7. What note did Ms. Hanff find? Who was it from?
8. What did Ms. Hanff do with Ena on Thursday, July 22?
9. What did Ms. Hanff and Mr. Buckley do on Monday, July 19?
10. Describe Ms. Hanff's last couple days in London and trip home.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ms. Hanff had a delightful trip.
Part 1) Summarize her trip. How was it delightful? Did it fit her expectations? Why or why not? Were her expectations exceeded? Why or why not?
Part 2) Do you believe she will return to England? Why or why not? Would you want to return after such a delightful trip? Why or why not?
Part 3) If you could go on a trip anywhere, where would you go? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Farewell parties are given for Ms. Hanff.
Part 1) Describe these parties. Why are these parties thrown for her? What do they reveal about her and her new acquaintances?
Part 2) Why might Ms. Hanff feel the way she does about these parties? How might this be connected to her homesickness?
Part 3) Does her memory of these parties surprise you? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Her business sense is revealed at several points in this book.
Part 1) Describe the moments in the book in which Ms. Hanff focuses on the business end of this trip. Is the business of promoting her book important in this story? Why or why not?
Part 2) Why does the book end with Ms. Hanff focusing on the work she must do upon arrival in New York? How does this affect the end of the book?
Part 3) What is the most significant part of this trip for Ms. Hanff, as well as for the book? Why?
This section contains 935 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)