|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Ena ask her to do this?
2. Ms. Hanff went to the hotel bar where she had ____________, which she had to teach the bartender to make.
3. Why did she have a temper tantrum?
4. Where did she eventually find herself?
5. Ms. Hanff met the Grenfells for dinner where?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was Ms. Hanff's trip extended? What did she do after she decided to extend her stay?
2. Describe Ms. Hanff's last couple days in London and trip home.
3. Was Ms. Hanff able to see Joyce Grenfell present a dialogue? Why or why not?
4. What took place on Saturday, July 10?
5. What did Ms. Hanff do in Oxford?
6. What note did Ms. Hanff find? Who was it from?
7. What happened on Wednesday, July 7?
8. What did Ms. Hanff do with Nora and Sheil on Sunday, July 11?
9. How did Ms. Hanff get the chance to spend time with Grenfell?
10. What did Ms. Hanff do on the way to dinner with Jean and Ted Ely?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Farewell parties are given for Ms. Hanff.
Part 1) Describe these parties. Why are these parties thrown for her? What do they reveal about her and her new acquaintances?
Part 2) Why might Ms. Hanff feel the way she does about these parties? How might this be connected to her homesickness?
Part 3) Does her memory of these parties surprise you? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Ms. Hanff makes a faux pas at a dinner party.
Part 1) What is a faux pas? What is this faux pas? How do others react to it? How does she react to it? Compare their reactions.
Part 2) What does this reveal about the different cultures? How different are they? In what ways are they different?
Part 3) What are faux pas today in our own culture? How are these faux pas connected to our culture? Are any universal? If so, which ones? If not, why not?
Essay Topic 3
A theme in this story is of friendship.
Part 1) How is this a theme? Why is friendship so important to this story?
Part 2) What friendships does Ms. Hanff make? How do these friendships affect her trip and her confidence in herself and her work?
Part 3) Describe a friendship of your own that is important to you. Why is it important? How does it influence you?
This section contains 1,008 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)