|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. That night Ms. Hanff had dinner with whom?
2. Why was Ms. Hanff unable to see Joyce Grenfell present a dialogue at a church?
3. Ms. Hanff had her hair done before having dinner with whom?
4. Why did she end up only buying a shoulder bag?
5. Ms. Hanff went to dinner with Ena and Leo where who showed up unexpectedly and joined them for dinner?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Ms. Hanff do on Friday, July 9?
2. How was Ms. Hanff's trip extended? What did she do after she decided to extend her stay?
3. What took place on Wednesday, July 14?
4. What did Ms. Hanff agree to do while at dinner with Leo and Ena?
5. What did Ms. Hanff do on the way to dinner with Jean and Ted Ely?
6. What happened on Wednesday, July 7?
7. What did Ms. Hanff and Ena do on Tuesday, July 20?
8. What did Ms. Hanff do during the day on Thursday, July 15?
9. What was Ms. Hanff asked to do for Reader's Digest?
10. What took place on Tuesday, July 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ms. Hanff had a delightful trip.
Part 1) Summarize her trip. How was it delightful? Did it fit her expectations? Why or why not? Were her expectations exceeded? Why or why not?
Part 2) Do you believe she will return to England? Why or why not? Would you want to return after such a delightful trip? Why or why not?
Part 3) If you could go on a trip anywhere, where would you go? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Farewell parties are given for Ms. Hanff.
Part 1) Describe these parties. Why are these parties thrown for her? What do they reveal about her and her new acquaintances?
Part 2) Why might Ms. Hanff feel the way she does about these parties? How might this be connected to her homesickness?
Part 3) Does her memory of these parties surprise you? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Her business sense is revealed at several points in this book.
Part 1) Describe the moments in the book in which Ms. Hanff focuses on the business end of this trip. Is the business of promoting her book important in this story? Why or why not?
Part 2) Why does the book end with Ms. Hanff focusing on the work she must do upon arrival in New York? How does this affect the end of the book?
Part 3) What is the most significant part of this trip for Ms. Hanff, as well as for the book? Why?
This section contains 924 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)