|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Because of this lunch date, she decided to visit a few ___________ sights even though she had never been truly interested in him.
2. Afterward, the Grenfells took Ms. Hanff on what?
3. That night Ms. Hanff had dinner with whom?
4. When she found a plaque announcing the location of Vivien Leigh's ashes, what did Ms. Hanff do?
5. Ms. Hanff went to dinner with Ena and Leo where who showed up unexpectedly and joined them for dinner?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Ms. Hanff do on the way to dinner with Jean and Ted Ely?
2. What did Ms. Hanff and Ena do on Tuesday, July 20?
3. Describe Ms. Hanff's last couple days in London and trip home.
4. What did Ms. Hanff do during the day on Thursday, July 15?
5. What did Ms. Hanff do with Nora and Sheil on Sunday, July 11?
6. What did Ms. Hanff agree to do while at dinner with Leo and Ena?
7. At the hotel, what did a tourist say to Ms. Hanff? Why might they have done this?
8. What happened after Ms. Hanff insisted on seeing Trinity College and Oriel?
9. What happened on Sunday, July 18?
10. What note did Ms. Hanff find? Who was it from?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Her business sense is revealed at several points in this book.
Part 1) Describe the moments in the book in which Ms. Hanff focuses on the business end of this trip. Is the business of promoting her book important in this story? Why or why not?
Part 2) Why does the book end with Ms. Hanff focusing on the work she must do upon arrival in New York? How does this affect the end of the book?
Part 3) What is the most significant part of this trip for Ms. Hanff, as well as for the book? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Ms. Hanff has written a book inspired by England.
Part 1) Write a summary of this book. Why did she choose to write a book about England? Why is this so important to her?
Part 2) How important might this subject be to others? Why might one be a fan of her book?
Part 3) If you wrote a book inspired by a place, what place would that be? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Ms. Hanff grows slightly homesick.
Part 1) what clues are given to reveal a sense of homesickness? Why is she homesick?
Part 2) How might Ms. Hanff's trip to London affect her view of London? Will she still feel the same way about London? Why or why not? How might it alter her feelings toward New York? Why?
Part 3) How does going away from home affect you? Do you grow homesick? Do you wish to stay away longer? Explain.
This section contains 945 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)