|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On Sunday, July 11, Ms. Hanff went to see what with Nora and Sheila?
2. Did she have any luck at Buckingham Palace?
3. After lunch they went to Lombard Street where they saw what?
4. Ms. Hanff went to St. Paul's Cathedral where she thought of who the entire time?
5. Outside the Abbey, they passed what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Ms. Hanff do in Oxford?
2. What happened on Sunday, July 4?
3. What did Ms. Hanff do with Sheila on Friday, July 23?
4. How did Ms. Hanff get the chance to spend time with Grenfell?
5. Was Ms. Hanff able to see Joyce Grenfell present a dialogue? Why or why not?
6. What did Ms. Hanff do with Mary Scott?
7. What did Ms. Hanff do with Ena on Thursday, July 22?
8. What did Ms. Hanff agree to do while at dinner with Leo and Ena?
9. What took place on Saturday, July 17?
10. What took place on Wednesday, July 14?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ms. Hanff receives a great deal of attention.
Part 1) Describe this attention. Why does she receive so much attention? Why is she surprised by this attention?
Part 2) How does Ms. Hanff react to this attention? Why does she react this way? Does her reaction change as the book progresses? Why or why not?
Part 3) How is she changed by this attention? How does fame affect people today? Give one example to support your response.
Essay Topic 2
Ms. Hanff's stay is extended.
Part 1) Why is her stay extended? How does she feel about this? What does she do with this extra time? How does it enhance her trip?
Part 2) Why does she not continue it for longer? Should she have stayed longer? Why or why not? What clues were given to show she was slightly homesick?
Part 3) What would you have done with an extra ten days? What types of activities would you have participated in? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Ms. Hanff and Mr. Buckley have a growing relationship.
Part 1) How do these two meet? Describe their relationship when they first meet. How does it change over time?
Part 2) What causes this change? How important is Mr. Buckley to Ms. Hanff's stay and the story? Explain.
Part 3) Why does this relationship grow into a good friendship by the end of the story? Will it be lasting? Why or why not?
This section contains 836 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)