|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ms. Hanff went to St. Paul's Cathedral where she thought of who the entire time?
2. Why did this cause a bit of a stir?
3. Afterward, they went back to Laura's for _______ and then returned to London.
4. Of what did this place make her think?
5. To stretch her wardrobe, Ms. Hanff went to Harrods to buy what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Ms. Hanff do with Nora and Sheil on Sunday, July 11?
2. How did Ms. Hanff get the chance to spend time with Grenfell?
3. What happened after Ms. Hanff insisted on seeing Trinity College and Oriel?
4. What did Ms. Hanff do with Mary Scott?
5. What did Ms. Hanff do on the way to dinner with Jean and Ted Ely?
6. Describe the party at Nora's house.
7. What happened on Sunday, July 4?
8. What happened on Wednesday, July 7?
9. What happened on Saturday, July 3?
10. What did the Colonel and Ms. Hanff do on Wednesday, July 21?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ms. Hanff sees many sights while in London.
Part 1) Describe five of these sights. Why does she see these sights? Why are these sights important to her?
Part 2) Why does she include all of these places in her book? What is her purpose for telling the reader about these places?
Part 3) How do these places compare to what one might see in the U.S.? How are they similar? How are they different? What might the reasons be for these similarities and differences?
Essay Topic 2
Ms. Hanff is uncomfortable with her celebrity status.
Part 1) Describe her celebrity status. How does she gain this celebrity status? Why is she uncomfortable with it?
Part 2) Should she have expected this sort of treatment? Why or why not? Should she be uncomfortable with it? Why or why not?
Part 3) Can one be successful at a field such as writing and not gain celebrity status? Why or why not? Would you want to be famous? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Farewell parties are given for Ms. Hanff.
Part 1) Describe these parties. Why are these parties thrown for her? What do they reveal about her and her new acquaintances?
Part 2) Why might Ms. Hanff feel the way she does about these parties? How might this be connected to her homesickness?
Part 3) Does her memory of these parties surprise you? Why or why not?
This section contains 911 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)