|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ms. Hanff went to St. Paul's Cathedral where she thought of who the entire time?
2. At the hotel, who talked to Ms. Hanff?
3. Mr. Buckley sent a thank you note for what?
4. The Colonel threw a going away party for Ms. Hanff. It was delightful, but Ms. Hanff could barely remember what?
5. Nora gave Ms. Hanff some pictures of whom to take home?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Ms. Hanff do on Friday, July 9?
2. What happened on Sunday, July 4?
3. What did Ms. Hanff agree to do while at dinner with Leo and Ena?
4. At the hotel, what did a tourist say to Ms. Hanff? Why might they have done this?
5. What took place on Wednesday, July 14?
6. What happened after Ms. Hanff insisted on seeing Trinity College and Oriel?
7. How was Ms. Hanff's trip extended? What did she do after she decided to extend her stay?
8. What happened on Sunday, July 18?
9. What did Ms. Hanff and Mr. Buckley do on Monday, July 19?
10. What did Ms. Hanff do with Mary Scott?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A theme found in this story is of dreams fulfilled.
Part 1) How is this a theme? What is Ms. Hanff's dream? How is it fulfilled?
Part 2) Is her experience in London what she had expected? Why or why not? Do you believe she would have done anything differently? Why or why not?
Part 3) What dreams do you have? How might your dreams be fulfilled? How might this change your life?
Essay Topic 2
Farewell parties are given for Ms. Hanff.
Part 1) Describe these parties. Why are these parties thrown for her? What do they reveal about her and her new acquaintances?
Part 2) Why might Ms. Hanff feel the way she does about these parties? How might this be connected to her homesickness?
Part 3) Does her memory of these parties surprise you? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Ms. Hanff grows slightly homesick.
Part 1) what clues are given to reveal a sense of homesickness? Why is she homesick?
Part 2) How might Ms. Hanff's trip to London affect her view of London? Will she still feel the same way about London? Why or why not? How might it alter her feelings toward New York? Why?
Part 3) How does going away from home affect you? Do you grow homesick? Do you wish to stay away longer? Explain.
This section contains 868 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)