|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a mew?
2. After lunch they went to Lombard Street where they saw what?
3. Afterward where did they visit?
4. Afterward the Colonel and Ms. Hanff had dinner with whom?
5. What did this person recommend to Ms. Hanff?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Ms. Hanff do with Sheila on Friday, July 23?
2. What was Ms. Hanff asked to do for Reader's Digest?
3. Describe the party at Nora's house.
4. How did Ms. Hanff get the chance to spend time with Grenfell?
5. What took place on Tuesday, July 6?
6. What took place on Wednesday, July 14?
7. What did Ms. Hanff do on Friday, July 9?
8. What happened on Saturday, July 3?
9. What happened on Sunday, July 18?
10. What took place on Saturday, July 17?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ms. Hanff receives a great deal of attention.
Part 1) Describe this attention. Why does she receive so much attention? Why is she surprised by this attention?
Part 2) How does Ms. Hanff react to this attention? Why does she react this way? Does her reaction change as the book progresses? Why or why not?
Part 3) How is she changed by this attention? How does fame affect people today? Give one example to support your response.
Essay Topic 2
Ms. Hanff had a delightful trip.
Part 1) Summarize her trip. How was it delightful? Did it fit her expectations? Why or why not? Were her expectations exceeded? Why or why not?
Part 2) Do you believe she will return to England? Why or why not? Would you want to return after such a delightful trip? Why or why not?
Part 3) If you could go on a trip anywhere, where would you go? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Ms. Hanff's character is revealed throughout the story.
Part 1) Describe her character at the beginning of the story. How is her character revealed throughout this story?
Part 2) How does he character compare to others in this story? How does this affect her relationship with them?
Part 3) How many of her character traits are purely her own and how many might be considered American character traits? Explain.
This section contains 831 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)