|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Afterward the Colonel and Ms. Hanff had dinner with whom?
2. On Friday, July 9, Ms. Hanff did what?
3. Why did she end up only buying a shoulder bag?
4. About what did they talk?
5. Mary Scott took Ms. Hanff on a walking tour of what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Ms. Hanff agree to do while at dinner with Leo and Ena?
2. What took place on Wednesday, July 14?
3. What took place on Saturday, July 10?
4. What happened on Saturday, July 3?
5. At the hotel, what did a tourist say to Ms. Hanff? Why might they have done this?
6. What did Ms. Hanff do with Ena on Thursday, July 22?
7. What happened on Sunday, July 18?
8. How did Ms. Hanff get the chance to spend time with Grenfell?
9. Describe the party at Nora's house.
10. What did Ms. Hanff do with Mary Scott?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ms. Hanff's stay is extended.
Part 1) Why is her stay extended? How does she feel about this? What does she do with this extra time? How does it enhance her trip?
Part 2) Why does she not continue it for longer? Should she have stayed longer? Why or why not? What clues were given to show she was slightly homesick?
Part 3) What would you have done with an extra ten days? What types of activities would you have participated in? Why?
Essay Topic 2
A theme in this story is of friendship.
Part 1) How is this a theme? Why is friendship so important to this story?
Part 2) What friendships does Ms. Hanff make? How do these friendships affect her trip and her confidence in herself and her work?
Part 3) Describe a friendship of your own that is important to you. Why is it important? How does it influence you?
Essay Topic 3
Life is different in this story, both due to cultural differences and a different period of time.
Part 1) Describe the British culture that Ms. Hanff encounters. How different is it from Ms. Hanff's culture? Use the text to support your response.
Part 2) What problems arise because of these differences? How are these problems resolved?
Part 3) How does this period of time, as a whole, differ from out own? What does this reveal about both British and American culture?
This section contains 861 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)