|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose house did they go to?
2. Ms. Hanff went to dinner with Ena and Leo where who showed up unexpectedly and joined them for dinner?
3. When she was done, why did she take the bus?
4. After lunch they went to Lombard Street where they saw what?
5. Ms. Hanff attempted to take a taxi, but discovered what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Ms. Hanff do on the way to dinner with Jean and Ted Ely?
2. What did Ms. Hanff do during the day on Thursday, July 15?
3. At the hotel, what did a tourist say to Ms. Hanff? Why might they have done this?
4. What did Ms. Hanff and Ena do on Tuesday, July 20?
5. What took place on Tuesday, July 6?
6. What did Ms. Hanff do with Nora and Sheil on Sunday, July 11?
7. What did Ms. Hanff and Mr. Buckley do on Monday, July 19?
8. What happened on Sunday, July 18?
9. What did Ms. Hanff do on Friday, July 9?
10. What took place on Wednesday, July 14?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ms. Hanff had a delightful trip.
Part 1) Summarize her trip. How was it delightful? Did it fit her expectations? Why or why not? Were her expectations exceeded? Why or why not?
Part 2) Do you believe she will return to England? Why or why not? Would you want to return after such a delightful trip? Why or why not?
Part 3) If you could go on a trip anywhere, where would you go? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Ms. Hanff has made many new friends on this trip.
Part 1) Describe these friendships. How did they begin as mere acquaintances? What made them into friendships?
Part 2) How important are these friendships throughout the story? How does her character develop alongside her friendships in this story?
Part 3) Will these friendships continue to influence her throughout her life? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Ms. Hanff receives a great deal of attention.
Part 1) Describe this attention. Why does she receive so much attention? Why is she surprised by this attention?
Part 2) How does Ms. Hanff react to this attention? Why does she react this way? Does her reaction change as the book progresses? Why or why not?
Part 3) How is she changed by this attention? How does fame affect people today? Give one example to support your response.
This section contains 899 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)