|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Nora gave Ms. Hanff some pictures of whom to take home?
2. That night, Ms. Hanff had dinner with whom?
3. Where did she buy a dress?
4. On Monday, July 19, Ms. Hanff met Mr. Buckley for __________ at Old Wine Shades in Martin Lane, Cannon Street.
5. The couple told Ms. Hanff they had once gone to New York City but were too afraid of what to leave their hotel room?
Short Essay Questions
1. What took place on Wednesday, July 14?
2. What happened after Ms. Hanff insisted on seeing Trinity College and Oriel?
3. What happened on Sunday, July 18?
4. At the hotel, what did a tourist say to Ms. Hanff? Why might they have done this?
5. What did the Colonel and Ms. Hanff do on Wednesday, July 21?
6. What was Ms. Hanff asked to do for Reader's Digest?
7. What note did Ms. Hanff find? Who was it from?
8. What did Ms. Hanff and Ena do on Tuesday, July 20?
9. Was Ms. Hanff able to see Joyce Grenfell present a dialogue? Why or why not?
10. What did Ms. Hanff and Mr. Buckley do on Monday, July 19?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ms. Hanff has worries prior to arriving in England.
Part 1) What are her worries? Why does she have these worries?
Part 2) What does this reveal about her confidence regarding her book and its popularity?
Part 3) How are her fears alleviated? How might her opinion change regarding her book, throughout the story? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Ms. Hanff and Mr. Buckley have a growing relationship.
Part 1) How do these two meet? Describe their relationship when they first meet. How does it change over time?
Part 2) What causes this change? How important is Mr. Buckley to Ms. Hanff's stay and the story? Explain.
Part 3) Why does this relationship grow into a good friendship by the end of the story? Will it be lasting? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Ms. Hanff is uncomfortable with her celebrity status.
Part 1) Describe her celebrity status. How does she gain this celebrity status? Why is she uncomfortable with it?
Part 2) Should she have expected this sort of treatment? Why or why not? Should she be uncomfortable with it? Why or why not?
Part 3) Can one be successful at a field such as writing and not gain celebrity status? Why or why not? Would you want to be famous? Why or why not?
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)