|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did she have a temper tantrum?
2. Afterward, they went back to Laura's for _______ and then returned to London.
3. At the hotel, who talked to Ms. Hanff?
4. Ms. Hanff went to see Buckingham Palace in hopes of what?
5. Where did she eventually find herself?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Ms. Hanff asked to do for Reader's Digest?
2. What happened after Ms. Hanff insisted on seeing Trinity College and Oriel?
3. Describe the party at Nora's house.
4. What took place on Saturday, July 10?
5. What did Ms. Hanff do during the day on Thursday, July 15?
6. What note did Ms. Hanff find? Who was it from?
7. What did Ms. Hanff and Ena do on Tuesday, July 20?
8. What did Ms. Hanff do with Nora and Sheil on Sunday, July 11?
9. What did Ms. Hanff agree to do while at dinner with Leo and Ena?
10. What did Ms. Hanff and Mr. Buckley do on Monday, July 19?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ms. Hanff and Mr. Buckley have a growing relationship.
Part 1) How do these two meet? Describe their relationship when they first meet. How does it change over time?
Part 2) What causes this change? How important is Mr. Buckley to Ms. Hanff's stay and the story? Explain.
Part 3) Why does this relationship grow into a good friendship by the end of the story? Will it be lasting? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Fanfare and celebrity are a theme.
Part 1) How are these a theme? How is this theme revealed throughout the story? How important is fanfare and celebrity to the story? Explain.
Part 2) What does the author think about fanfare and celebrity? How do you know this?
Part 3) What are your own thoughts about fanfare and celebrity? How is it good? How can it be bad? How can one be affected by it?
Essay Topic 3
Her business sense is revealed at several points in this book.
Part 1) Describe the moments in the book in which Ms. Hanff focuses on the business end of this trip. Is the business of promoting her book important in this story? Why or why not?
Part 2) Why does the book end with Ms. Hanff focusing on the work she must do upon arrival in New York? How does this affect the end of the book?
Part 3) What is the most significant part of this trip for Ms. Hanff, as well as for the book? Why?
This section contains 859 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)