|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ms. Hanff had to call ___________ which cost more but would go anywhere.
2. Ms. Hanff received a check from Reader's Digest that made it possible for her to extend her stay for how much longer?
3. Where else did these two walk?
4. Did she have any luck at Buckingham Palace?
5. On Friday, July 23, Sheila took Ms. Hanff to see what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was Ms. Hanff's trip extended? What did she do after she decided to extend her stay?
2. What happened on Sunday, July 4?
3. What did Ms. Hanff and Mr. Buckley do on Monday, July 19?
4. Describe Ms. Hanff's last couple days in London and trip home.
5. What happened on Wednesday, July 7?
6. What took place on Tuesday, July 6?
7. What did Ms. Hanff do with Sheila on Friday, July 23?
8. What did Ms. Hanff do with Mary Scott?
9. What did Ms. Hanff do in Oxford?
10. How did Ms. Hanff get the chance to spend time with Grenfell?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ms. Hanff's character is revealed throughout the story.
Part 1) Describe her character at the beginning of the story. How is her character revealed throughout this story?
Part 2) How does he character compare to others in this story? How does this affect her relationship with them?
Part 3) How many of her character traits are purely her own and how many might be considered American character traits? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Ms. Hanff makes many new acquaintances.
Part 1) Describe these new acquaintances. How does she come to meet them? How important is her book to the making of these new acquaintances?
Part 2) How important are these acquaintances to Ms. Hanff's stay in England? Why?
Part 3) Do you believe she will keep in touch with these acquaintances? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Ms. Hanff has worries prior to arriving in England.
Part 1) What are her worries? Why does she have these worries?
Part 2) What does this reveal about her confidence regarding her book and its popularity?
Part 3) How are her fears alleviated? How might her opinion change regarding her book, throughout the story? Why?
This section contains 889 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)