|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. She also made arrangements to meet a friend of whom?
2. Whose house did they go to?
3. Over dinner, Ms. Hanff attempted to explain the America fascination with ___________, explaining that it has something to do with how he wrote about the inglorious nobodies.
4. Why did she end up only buying a shoulder bag?
5. Of what did this place make her think?
Short Essay Questions
1. What took place on Tuesday, July 6?
2. What did Ms. Hanff agree to do while at dinner with Leo and Ena?
3. What did Ms. Hanff and Mr. Buckley do on Monday, July 19?
4. What did Ms. Hanff do in Oxford?
5. What did Ms. Hanff and Ena do on Tuesday, July 20?
6. What happened on Wednesday, July 7?
7. What did Ms. Hanff do during the day on Thursday, July 15?
8. What did Ms. Hanff do on Friday, July 9?
9. What happened on Sunday, July 18?
10. At the hotel, what did a tourist say to Ms. Hanff? Why might they have done this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ms. Hanff has written a book inspired by England.
Part 1) Write a summary of this book. Why did she choose to write a book about England? Why is this so important to her?
Part 2) How important might this subject be to others? Why might one be a fan of her book?
Part 3) If you wrote a book inspired by a place, what place would that be? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Ms. Hanff's stay is extended.
Part 1) Why is her stay extended? How does she feel about this? What does she do with this extra time? How does it enhance her trip?
Part 2) Why does she not continue it for longer? Should she have stayed longer? Why or why not? What clues were given to show she was slightly homesick?
Part 3) What would you have done with an extra ten days? What types of activities would you have participated in? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Ms. Hanff had been interested in London since she was a small girl.
Part 1) Why did this interest come about? Why would this create such an interest in London?
Part 2) How does this childhood dream become a reality? How does it also create anxiety and certain expectations?
Part 3) In what have you been interested since you were a small child? Why? How could your dreams become reality?
This section contains 875 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)