|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ms. Hanff got a call from a fan who invited her to visit ___________. Ms. Hanff agreed because she wanted to see the college that John Donne, John Henry Newmann, and Arthur Quiller-Couch had attended, three writers whom Ms. Hanff credits with teaching her a great deal about writing.
2. Ms. Hanff had wanted to see London ever since when?
3. When she returned to the hotel, Ms. Hanff found a note waiting for her from Joyce Grenfell. Who is Joyce?
4. That night, Ms. Hanff went to dinner with whom?
5. Ms. Hanff finally had to put her foot down when Eddie suggested they do what, without changing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What problems did Ms. Hanff have with her silk dress?
2. What takes place at the beginning of this book? Why does Ms. Hanff do this?
3. What makes Ms. Hanff think of Central Park?
4. How did Mr. Buckley embarrass Ms. Hanff?
5. What did Ms. Hanff do with Joyce Grenfell and her husband?
6. Why is Ms. Hanff so interested in London?
7. What took place at the dinner at Nora's house?
8. What did Ms. Hanff learn about the Tower of London?
9. What did the Colonel and Ms. Hanff do on the way to Stratford-on-Avon?
10. Why is Eton important?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A theme in this story is of friendship.
Part 1) How is this a theme? Why is friendship so important to this story?
Part 2) What friendships does Ms. Hanff make? How do these friendships affect her trip and her confidence in herself and her work?
Part 3) Describe a friendship of your own that is important to you. Why is it important? How does it influence you?
Essay Topic 2
Ms. Hanff grows slightly homesick.
Part 1) what clues are given to reveal a sense of homesickness? Why is she homesick?
Part 2) How might Ms. Hanff's trip to London affect her view of London? Will she still feel the same way about London? Why or why not? How might it alter her feelings toward New York? Why?
Part 3) How does going away from home affect you? Do you grow homesick? Do you wish to stay away longer? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Ms. Hanff had a delightful trip.
Part 1) Summarize her trip. How was it delightful? Did it fit her expectations? Why or why not? Were her expectations exceeded? Why or why not?
Part 2) Do you believe she will return to England? Why or why not? Would you want to return after such a delightful trip? Why or why not?
Part 3) If you could go on a trip anywhere, where would you go? Why?
This section contains 867 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)