|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Later in the day, Ms. Hanff and Nora Doel were interviewed where?
2. Nora drove Ms. Hanff where for dinner?
3. What had her brother given her?
4. When she returned to the hotel, Ms. Hanff found a note waiting for her from Joyce Grenfell. Who is Joyce?
5. First they visited the home of two elderly sisters whose house, Ms. Hanff learned, had once been haunted by a ghost who would grow upset when?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Ms. Hanff so interested in London?
2. Where did Pat Buckley take Ms. Hanff that had a connection to Shakespeare? What did Ms. Hanff think of this?
3. How did Mr. Buckley embarrass Ms. Hanff?
4. What took place the evening of Wednesday, June 30?
5. Why is Ms. Hanff's book called "84, Charring Cross Road?"
6. Why is Eton important?
7. What took place at the dinner at Nora's house?
8. What takes place at the beginning of this book? Why does Ms. Hanff do this?
9. What happened when Ms. Hanff went to the services at the Royal Chapel?
10. What did Ms. Hanff learn about the Tower of London?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ms. Hanff's character is revealed throughout the story.
Part 1) Describe her character at the beginning of the story. How is her character revealed throughout this story?
Part 2) How does he character compare to others in this story? How does this affect her relationship with them?
Part 3) How many of her character traits are purely her own and how many might be considered American character traits? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Ms. Hanff and Mr. Buckley have a growing relationship.
Part 1) How do these two meet? Describe their relationship when they first meet. How does it change over time?
Part 2) What causes this change? How important is Mr. Buckley to Ms. Hanff's stay and the story? Explain.
Part 3) Why does this relationship grow into a good friendship by the end of the story? Will it be lasting? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Ms. Hanff's stay is extended.
Part 1) Why is her stay extended? How does she feel about this? What does she do with this extra time? How does it enhance her trip?
Part 2) Why does she not continue it for longer? Should she have stayed longer? Why or why not? What clues were given to show she was slightly homesick?
Part 3) What would you have done with an extra ten days? What types of activities would you have participated in? Why?
This section contains 825 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)