|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ms. Hanff's fans appear to be becoming what?
2. What was realized when she arrived here?
3. What did Ms. Hanff do when she found out the publishers were not giving out her address to her fans?
4. Ms. Hanff visited a handful of booksellers before going to what?
5. Later that afternoon, Ms. Hanff spent the afternoon in ________ where she recalled an afternoon in New York where she and two friends had a picnic on Dog Hill that was interrupted by a group of hungry dogs.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Ms. Hanff so interested in London?
2. What story was told at lunch with Nora?
3. Where did Pat Buckley take Ms. Hanff that had a connection to Shakespeare? What did Ms. Hanff think of this?
4. Describe Ms. Hanff's book signing.
5. What happened when Ms. Hanff was back in her rooms.
6. How did the Colonel entertain Ms. Hanff on the way to Stratford-on-Avon?
7. Why did Ms. Grenfell have trouble taking Ms. Hanff home?
8. How were Ms. Hanff's friends from Texas different in London? What did Ms. Hanff feel about this?
9. What makes Ms. Hanff think of Central Park?
10. What do Ms. Hanff's friends do for her before she leaves?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ms. Hanff's character is revealed throughout the story.
Part 1) Describe her character at the beginning of the story. How is her character revealed throughout this story?
Part 2) How does he character compare to others in this story? How does this affect her relationship with them?
Part 3) How many of her character traits are purely her own and how many might be considered American character traits? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Fanfare and celebrity are a theme.
Part 1) How are these a theme? How is this theme revealed throughout the story? How important is fanfare and celebrity to the story? Explain.
Part 2) What does the author think about fanfare and celebrity? How do you know this?
Part 3) What are your own thoughts about fanfare and celebrity? How is it good? How can it be bad? How can one be affected by it?
Essay Topic 3
Ms. Hanff is uncomfortable with her celebrity status.
Part 1) Describe her celebrity status. How does she gain this celebrity status? Why is she uncomfortable with it?
Part 2) Should she have expected this sort of treatment? Why or why not? Should she be uncomfortable with it? Why or why not?
Part 3) Can one be successful at a field such as writing and not gain celebrity status? Why or why not? Would you want to be famous? Why or why not?
This section contains 962 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)