|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. That night Ms. Hanff went to a dinner party and returned to the hotel feeling like what?
2. Afterward, she went across the street to get some cold medicine and supplies only to discover what?
3. That night, Ms. Hanff went to see a play with whom?
4. Who was supposed to meet Ms. Hanff at the airport?
5. Ms. Hanff had always wanted to do what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the Colonel and Ms. Hanff do on Wednesday, July 21?
2. What did Ms. Hanff do with Sheila on Friday, July 23?
3. Why is Eton important?
4. What happened on Saturday, July 3?
5. What did Ms. Hanff do on Friday, July 9?
6. What did Ms. Hanff and Mr. Buckley do first when they drove to Windsor?
7. What did Ms. Hanff do on the way to dinner with Jean and Ted Ely?
8. What problems did Ms. Hanff have with her silk dress?
9. What did Ms. Hanff do with Mary Scott?
10. Why is Ms. Hanff's book called "84, Charring Cross Road?"
Essay Topic 1
Ms. Hanff and Mr. Buckley have a growing relationship.
Part 1) How do these two meet? Describe their relationship when they first meet. How does it change over time?
Part 2) What causes this change? How important is Mr. Buckley to Ms. Hanff's stay and the story? Explain.
Part 3) Why does this relationship grow into a good friendship by the end of the story? Will it be lasting? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Ms. Hanff's stay is extended.
Part 1) Why is her stay extended? How does she feel about this? What does she do with this extra time? How does it enhance her trip?
Part 2) Why does she not continue it for longer? Should she have stayed longer? Why or why not? What clues were given to show she was slightly homesick?
Part 3) What would you have done with an extra ten days? What types of activities would you have participated in? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Ms. Hanff has written a book inspired by England.
Part 1) Write a summary of this book. Why did she choose to write a book about England? Why is this so important to her?
Part 2) How important might this subject be to others? Why might one be a fan of her book?
Part 3) If you wrote a book inspired by a place, what place would that be? Why?
This section contains 2,214 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)