Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. That night Ms. Hanff went to a dinner party and returned to the hotel feeling like what?
2. Afterward, she went across the street to get some cold medicine and supplies only to discover what?
3. That night, Ms. Hanff went to see a play with whom?
4. Who was supposed to meet Ms. Hanff at the airport?
5. Ms. Hanff had always wanted to do what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the Colonel and Ms. Hanff do on Wednesday, July 21?
2. What did Ms. Hanff do with Sheila on Friday, July 23?
3. Why is Eton important?
4. What happened on Saturday, July 3?
5. What did Ms. Hanff do on Friday, July 9?
6. What did Ms. Hanff and Mr. Buckley do first when they drove to Windsor?
7. What did Ms. Hanff do on the way to dinner with Jean and Ted Ely?
8. What problems did Ms. Hanff have with her silk dress?
9. What did Ms. Hanff do with Mary Scott?
10. Why is Ms. Hanff's book called "84, Charring Cross Road?"
Essay Topic 1
Ms. Hanff has worries prior to arriving in England.
Part 1) What are her worries? Why does she have these worries?
Part 2) What does this reveal about her confidence regarding her book and its popularity?
Part 3) How are her fears alleviated? How might her opinion change regarding her book, throughout the story? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Life is different in this story, both due to cultural differences and a different period of time.
Part 1) Describe the British culture that Ms. Hanff encounters. How different is it from Ms. Hanff's culture? Use the text to support your response.
Part 2) What problems arise because of these differences? How are these problems resolved?
Part 3) How does this period of time, as a whole, differ from out own? What does this reveal about both British and American culture?
Essay Topic 3
A theme in this story is of friendship.
Part 1) How is this a theme? Why is friendship so important to this story?
Part 2) What friendships does Ms. Hanff make? How do these friendships affect her trip and her confidence in herself and her work?
Part 3) Describe a friendship of your own that is important to you. Why is it important? How does it influence you?
This section contains 874 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)