|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Later that afternoon, Ms. Hanff spent the afternoon in ________ where she recalled an afternoon in New York where she and two friends had a picnic on Dog Hill that was interrupted by a group of hungry dogs.
2. What are two themes of the novel that are touched upon?
3. Ms. Hanff went to her publishers' office from where she was taken to _____________.
4. About what did Ms. Hanff learn while at dinner with Nora and her daughter?
5. What did Ms. Hanff do when she found out the publishers were not giving out her address to her fans?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Ms. Hanff do with Joyce Grenfell and her husband?
2. Why is Ms. Hanff so interested in London?
3. How did Mr. Buckley embarrass Ms. Hanff?
4. Who meets Ms. Hanff at the airport?
5. How did the Colonel entertain Ms. Hanff on the way to Stratford-on-Avon?
6. What makes Ms. Hanff think of Central Park?
7. What happened at Broadcasting House?
8. What did Ms. Hanff learn about the Tower of London?
9. What did Ms. Hanff do at Russell Square?
10. What happened on Friday, June 24?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ms. Hanff's character is revealed throughout the story.
Part 1) Describe her character at the beginning of the story. How is her character revealed throughout this story?
Part 2) How does he character compare to others in this story? How does this affect her relationship with them?
Part 3) How many of her character traits are purely her own and how many might be considered American character traits? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Ms. Hanff makes a faux pas at a dinner party.
Part 1) What is a faux pas? What is this faux pas? How do others react to it? How does she react to it? Compare their reactions.
Part 2) What does this reveal about the different cultures? How different are they? In what ways are they different?
Part 3) What are faux pas today in our own culture? How are these faux pas connected to our culture? Are any universal? If so, which ones? If not, why not?
Essay Topic 3
Ms. Hanff had a delightful trip.
Part 1) Summarize her trip. How was it delightful? Did it fit her expectations? Why or why not? Were her expectations exceeded? Why or why not?
Part 2) Do you believe she will return to England? Why or why not? Would you want to return after such a delightful trip? Why or why not?
Part 3) If you could go on a trip anywhere, where would you go? Why?
This section contains 838 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)