|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ms. Hanff was ______________ the other customers.
2. On Sunday, June 20, Ms. Hanff visited ______________ where she met a ticket taker with whom she discussed roses.
3. What are two themes of the novel that are touched upon?
4. Eddie and Isabel were conservative people at home. How did they act in London?
5. What is an important site pointed out to Ms. Hanff?
Short Essay Questions
1. What took place at the dinner at Nora's house?
2. What did Ms. Hanff do before going to bed on her first night in England?
3. What happened on Friday, June 24?
4. What did Ms. Hanff do at Russell Square?
5. What did Ms. Hanff and Mr. Buckley do first when they drove to Windsor?
6. What did Ms. Hanff do early on Wednesday, June 30?
7. What story was told at lunch with Nora?
8. Why is Ms. Hanff's book called "84, Charring Cross Road?"
9. Where did Pat Buckley take Ms. Hanff that had a connection to Shakespeare? What did Ms. Hanff think of this?
10. What did Ms. Hanff learn about the Tower of London?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ms. Hanff makes a faux pas at a dinner party.
Part 1) What is a faux pas? What is this faux pas? How do others react to it? How does she react to it? Compare their reactions.
Part 2) What does this reveal about the different cultures? How different are they? In what ways are they different?
Part 3) What are faux pas today in our own culture? How are these faux pas connected to our culture? Are any universal? If so, which ones? If not, why not?
Essay Topic 2
A theme in this story is of friendship.
Part 1) How is this a theme? Why is friendship so important to this story?
Part 2) What friendships does Ms. Hanff make? How do these friendships affect her trip and her confidence in herself and her work?
Part 3) Describe a friendship of your own that is important to you. Why is it important? How does it influence you?
Essay Topic 3
Ms. Hanff grows slightly homesick.
Part 1) what clues are given to reveal a sense of homesickness? Why is she homesick?
Part 2) How might Ms. Hanff's trip to London affect her view of London? Will she still feel the same way about London? Why or why not? How might it alter her feelings toward New York? Why?
Part 3) How does going away from home affect you? Do you grow homesick? Do you wish to stay away longer? Explain.
This section contains 857 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)