|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ms. Grenfell drove Ms. Hanff home afterward, having difficulty finding a way to get to the hotel's front door. Why?
2. Ms. Hanff went out with a couple of friends from _________ who happened to be visiting London.
3. Eddie and Isabel were conservative people at home. How did they act in London?
4. Ms. Hanff got a call from a fan who invited her to visit ___________. Ms. Hanff agreed because she wanted to see the college that John Donne, John Henry Newmann, and Arthur Quiller-Couch had attended, three writers whom Ms. Hanff credits with teaching her a great deal about writing.
5. Ms. Hanff admires the calm and quiet of London, but misses what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened on Friday, June 24?
2. How did Mr. Buckley embarrass Ms. Hanff?
3. What did Ms. Hanff do with Sheila on Friday, July 23?
4. Why is Ms. Hanff's book called "84, Charring Cross Road?"
5. At the hotel, what did a tourist say to Ms. Hanff? Why might they have done this?
6. What takes place at the beginning of this book? Why does Ms. Hanff do this?
7. How did the Colonel entertain Ms. Hanff on the way to Stratford-on-Avon?
8. What took place on Saturday, July 17?
9. What did Ms. Hanff and Mr. Buckley do first when they drove to Windsor?
10. What did Ms. Hanff do with Joyce Grenfell and her husband?
Essay Topic 1
Ms. Hanff's character is revealed throughout the story.
Part 1) Describe her character at the beginning of the story. How is her character revealed throughout this story?
Part 2) How does he character compare to others in this story? How does this affect her relationship with them?
Part 3) How many of her character traits are purely her own and how many might be considered American character traits? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Life is different in this story, both due to cultural differences and a different period of time.
Part 1) Describe the British culture that Ms. Hanff encounters. How different is it from Ms. Hanff's culture? Use the text to support your response.
Part 2) What problems arise because of these differences? How are these problems resolved?
Part 3) How does this period of time, as a whole, differ from out own? What does this reveal about both British and American culture?
Essay Topic 3
Her business sense is revealed at several points in this book.
Part 1) Describe the moments in the book in which Ms. Hanff focuses on the business end of this trip. Is the business of promoting her book important in this story? Why or why not?
Part 2) Why does the book end with Ms. Hanff focusing on the work she must do upon arrival in New York? How does this affect the end of the book?
Part 3) What is the most significant part of this trip for Ms. Hanff, as well as for the book? Why?
This section contains 2,263 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)