Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. That night Ms. Hanff went to a dinner party and returned to the hotel feeling like what?
2. Afterward, she went across the street to get some cold medicine and supplies only to discover what?
3. That night, Ms. Hanff went to see a play with whom?
4. Who was supposed to meet Ms. Hanff at the airport?
5. Ms. Hanff had always wanted to do what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the Colonel and Ms. Hanff do on Wednesday, July 21?
2. What did Ms. Hanff do with Sheila on Friday, July 23?
3. Why is Eton important?
4. What happened on Saturday, July 3?
5. What did Ms. Hanff do on Friday, July 9?
6. What did Ms. Hanff and Mr. Buckley do first when they drove to Windsor?
7. What did Ms. Hanff do on the way to dinner with Jean and Ted Ely?
8. What problems did Ms. Hanff have with her silk dress?
9. What did Ms. Hanff do with Mary Scott?
10. Why is Ms. Hanff's book called "84, Charring Cross Road?"
Ms. Hanff makes a faux pas at a dinner party.
Part 1) What is a faux pas? What is this faux pas? How do others react to it? How does she react to it? Compare their reactions.
Part 2) What does this reveal about the different cultures? How different are they? In what ways are they different?
Part 3) What are faux pas today in our own culture? How are these faux pas connected to our culture? Are any universal? If so, which ones? If not, why not?
Ms. Hanff had been interested in London since she was a small girl.
Part 1) Why did this interest come about? Why would this create such an interest in London?
Part 2) How does this childhood dream become a reality? How does it also create anxiety and certain expectations?
Part 3) In what have you been interested since you were a small child? Why? How could your dreams become reality?
Her business sense is revealed at several points in this book.
Part 1) Describe the moments in the book in which Ms. Hanff focuses on the business end of this trip. Is the business of promoting her book important in this story? Why or why not?
Part 2) Why does the book end with Ms. Hanff focusing on the work she must do upon arrival in New York? How does this affect the end of the book?
Part 3) What is the most significant part of this trip for Ms. Hanff, as well as for the book? Why?
This section contains 920 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)