|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. That night Ms. Hanff went to a dinner party and returned to the hotel feeling like what?
2. Afterward, she went across the street to get some cold medicine and supplies only to discover what?
3. That night, Ms. Hanff went to see a play with whom?
4. Who was supposed to meet Ms. Hanff at the airport?
5. Ms. Hanff had always wanted to do what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the Colonel and Ms. Hanff do on Wednesday, July 21?
2. What did Ms. Hanff do with Sheila on Friday, July 23?
3. Why is Eton important?
4. What happened on Saturday, July 3?
5. What did Ms. Hanff do on Friday, July 9?
6. What did Ms. Hanff and Mr. Buckley do first when they drove to Windsor?
7. What did Ms. Hanff do on the way to dinner with Jean and Ted Ely?
8. What problems did Ms. Hanff have with her silk dress?
9. What did Ms. Hanff do with Mary Scott?
10. Why is Ms. Hanff's book called "84, Charring Cross Road?"
Essay Topic 1
Her business sense is revealed at several points in this book.
Part 1) Describe the moments in the book in which Ms. Hanff focuses on the business end of this trip. Is the business of promoting her book important in this story? Why or why not?
Part 2) Why does the book end with Ms. Hanff focusing on the work she must do upon arrival in New York? How does this affect the end of the book?
Part 3) What is the most significant part of this trip for Ms. Hanff, as well as for the book? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Ms. Hanff has written a book inspired by England.
Part 1) Write a summary of this book. Why did she choose to write a book about England? Why is this so important to her?
Part 2) How important might this subject be to others? Why might one be a fan of her book?
Part 3) If you wrote a book inspired by a place, what place would that be? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Ms. Hanff's character is revealed throughout the story.
Part 1) Describe her character at the beginning of the story. How is her character revealed throughout this story?
Part 2) How does he character compare to others in this story? How does this affect her relationship with them?
Part 3) How many of her character traits are purely her own and how many might be considered American character traits? Explain.
This section contains 2,214 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)