|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Later that afternoon, Ms. Hanff spent the afternoon in ________ where she recalled an afternoon in New York where she and two friends had a picnic on Dog Hill that was interrupted by a group of hungry dogs.
2. Ms. Hanff went out with a couple of friends from _________ who happened to be visiting London.
3. Later in the day, Ms. Hanff and Nora Doel were interviewed where?
4. What prompted her to be interested in London?
5. Ms. Hanff and Mr. Buckley then drove around the city and saw what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ms. Hanff do for most of the day on Tuesday, June 29? Why?
2. How did Mr. Buckley embarrass Ms. Hanff?
3. What happened when Ms. Hanff was back in her rooms.
4. What took place the evening of Wednesday, June 30?
5. What story was told at lunch with Nora?
6. How did the Colonel entertain Ms. Hanff on the way to Stratford-on-Avon?
7. What happened at Broadcasting House?
8. What did Ms. Hanff do at Russell Square?
9. Who meets Ms. Hanff at the airport?
10. What did Ms. Hanff learn about the Tower of London?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ms. Hanff has made many new friends on this trip.
Part 1) Describe these friendships. How did they begin as mere acquaintances? What made them into friendships?
Part 2) How important are these friendships throughout the story? How does her character develop alongside her friendships in this story?
Part 3) Will these friendships continue to influence her throughout her life? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Her business sense is revealed at several points in this book.
Part 1) Describe the moments in the book in which Ms. Hanff focuses on the business end of this trip. Is the business of promoting her book important in this story? Why or why not?
Part 2) Why does the book end with Ms. Hanff focusing on the work she must do upon arrival in New York? How does this affect the end of the book?
Part 3) What is the most significant part of this trip for Ms. Hanff, as well as for the book? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Ms. Hanff makes many new acquaintances.
Part 1) Describe these new acquaintances. How does she come to meet them? How important is her book to the making of these new acquaintances?
Part 2) How important are these acquaintances to Ms. Hanff's stay in England? Why?
Part 3) Do you believe she will keep in touch with these acquaintances? Why or why not?
This section contains 776 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)