|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ms. Grenfell drove Ms. Hanff home afterward, having difficulty finding a way to get to the hotel's front door. Why?
2. Back at the hotel, Ms. Hanff read an article about her arrival in London and was amused by what?
3. What prompted her to be interested in London?
4. Describe the person in #13.
5. Ms. Hanff and Mr. Buckley then drove around the city and saw what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened on Saturday, July 3?
2. What did Ms. Hanff do with Sheila on Friday, July 23?
3. What happened when Ms. Hanff was back in her rooms.
4. What did Ms. Hanff do before going to bed on her first night in England?
5. What did Ms. Hanff and Ena do on Tuesday, July 20?
6. What took place on Saturday, July 17?
7. Describe the party at Nora's house.
8. What did Ms. Hanff do with Ena on Thursday, July 22?
9. Where did Pat Buckley take Ms. Hanff that had a connection to Shakespeare? What did Ms. Hanff think of this?
10. What happened on Sunday, July 18?
Essay Topic 1
Her business sense is revealed at several points in this book.
Part 1) Describe the moments in the book in which Ms. Hanff focuses on the business end of this trip. Is the business of promoting her book important in this story? Why or why not?
Part 2) Why does the book end with Ms. Hanff focusing on the work she must do upon arrival in New York? How does this affect the end of the book?
Part 3) What is the most significant part of this trip for Ms. Hanff, as well as for the book? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Farewell parties are given for Ms. Hanff.
Part 1) Describe these parties. Why are these parties thrown for her? What do they reveal about her and her new acquaintances?
Part 2) Why might Ms. Hanff feel the way she does about these parties? How might this be connected to her homesickness?
Part 3) Does her memory of these parties surprise you? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Ms. Hanff had a delightful trip.
Part 1) Summarize her trip. How was it delightful? Did it fit her expectations? Why or why not? Were her expectations exceeded? Why or why not?
Part 2) Do you believe she will return to England? Why or why not? Would you want to return after such a delightful trip? Why or why not?
Part 3) If you could go on a trip anywhere, where would you go? Why?
This section contains 2,313 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)