Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. That night Ms. Hanff went to a dinner party and returned to the hotel feeling like what?
2. Afterward, she went across the street to get some cold medicine and supplies only to discover what?
3. That night, Ms. Hanff went to see a play with whom?
4. Who was supposed to meet Ms. Hanff at the airport?
5. Ms. Hanff had always wanted to do what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the Colonel and Ms. Hanff do on Wednesday, July 21?
2. What did Ms. Hanff do with Sheila on Friday, July 23?
3. Why is Eton important?
4. What happened on Saturday, July 3?
5. What did Ms. Hanff do on Friday, July 9?
6. What did Ms. Hanff and Mr. Buckley do first when they drove to Windsor?
7. What did Ms. Hanff do on the way to dinner with Jean and Ted Ely?
8. What problems did Ms. Hanff have with her silk dress?
9. What did Ms. Hanff do with Mary Scott?
10. Why is Ms. Hanff's book called "84, Charring Cross Road?"
Essay Topic 1
A theme in this story is of friendship.
Part 1) How is this a theme? Why is friendship so important to this story?
Part 2) What friendships does Ms. Hanff make? How do these friendships affect her trip and her confidence in herself and her work?
Part 3) Describe a friendship of your own that is important to you. Why is it important? How does it influence you?
Essay Topic 2
Her business sense is revealed at several points in this book.
Part 1) Describe the moments in the book in which Ms. Hanff focuses on the business end of this trip. Is the business of promoting her book important in this story? Why or why not?
Part 2) Why does the book end with Ms. Hanff focusing on the work she must do upon arrival in New York? How does this affect the end of the book?
Part 3) What is the most significant part of this trip for Ms. Hanff, as well as for the book? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Fanfare and celebrity are a theme.
Part 1) How are these a theme? How is this theme revealed throughout the story? How important is fanfare and celebrity to the story? Explain.
Part 2) What does the author think about fanfare and celebrity? How do you know this?
Part 3) What are your own thoughts about fanfare and celebrity? How is it good? How can it be bad? How can one be affected by it?
This section contains 910 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)