|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. That night Ms. Hanff went to a dinner party and returned to the hotel feeling like what?
2. Afterward, she went across the street to get some cold medicine and supplies only to discover what?
3. That night, Ms. Hanff went to see a play with whom?
4. Who was supposed to meet Ms. Hanff at the airport?
5. Ms. Hanff had always wanted to do what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the Colonel and Ms. Hanff do on Wednesday, July 21?
2. What did Ms. Hanff do with Sheila on Friday, July 23?
3. Why is Eton important?
4. What happened on Saturday, July 3?
5. What did Ms. Hanff do on Friday, July 9?
6. What did Ms. Hanff and Mr. Buckley do first when they drove to Windsor?
7. What did Ms. Hanff do on the way to dinner with Jean and Ted Ely?
8. What problems did Ms. Hanff have with her silk dress?
9. What did Ms. Hanff do with Mary Scott?
10. Why is Ms. Hanff's book called "84, Charring Cross Road?"
Essay Topic 1
Farewell parties are given for Ms. Hanff.
Part 1) Describe these parties. Why are these parties thrown for her? What do they reveal about her and her new acquaintances?
Part 2) Why might Ms. Hanff feel the way she does about these parties? How might this be connected to her homesickness?
Part 3) Does her memory of these parties surprise you? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Ms. Hanff sees many sights while in London.
Part 1) Describe five of these sights. Why does she see these sights? Why are these sights important to her?
Part 2) Why does she include all of these places in her book? What is her purpose for telling the reader about these places?
Part 3) How do these places compare to what one might see in the U.S.? How are they similar? How are they different? What might the reasons be for these similarities and differences?
Essay Topic 3
Ms. Hanff receives a great deal of attention.
Part 1) Describe this attention. Why does she receive so much attention? Why is she surprised by this attention?
Part 2) How does Ms. Hanff react to this attention? Why does she react this way? Does her reaction change as the book progresses? Why or why not?
Part 3) How is she changed by this attention? How does fame affect people today? Give one example to support your response.
This section contains 2,214 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)