|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ena begged Ms. Hanff not to return home too early and to consider doing what?
2. Ms. Hanff had just boarded the flight to London despite what fact?
3. From there, Ms. Hanff and Mr. Buckley went to _________ where Mr. Buckley had once been a student and saw an historic wall where many of the past students had their names carved upon graduation, including Shelley.
4. That night, Ms. Hanff went to see a play with whom?
5. On Friday, June 18, Ms. Hanff attempted to take a shower and discovered what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What makes Ms. Hanff think of Central Park?
2. How did Mr. Buckley embarrass Ms. Hanff?
3. Why is Eton important?
4. Why is Ms. Hanff's book called "84, Charring Cross Road?"
5. Describe Ms. Hanff's book signing.
6. How did the Colonel entertain Ms. Hanff on the way to Stratford-on-Avon?
7. What do Ms. Hanff's friends do for her before she leaves?
8. What did Ms. Hanff and Mr. Buckley do first when they drove to Windsor?
9. What took place at the dinner at Nora's house?
10. What did Ms. Hanff learn about the Tower of London?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ms. Hanff makes many new acquaintances.
Part 1) Describe these new acquaintances. How does she come to meet them? How important is her book to the making of these new acquaintances?
Part 2) How important are these acquaintances to Ms. Hanff's stay in England? Why?
Part 3) Do you believe she will keep in touch with these acquaintances? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
A theme found in this story is of dreams fulfilled.
Part 1) How is this a theme? What is Ms. Hanff's dream? How is it fulfilled?
Part 2) Is her experience in London what she had expected? Why or why not? Do you believe she would have done anything differently? Why or why not?
Part 3) What dreams do you have? How might your dreams be fulfilled? How might this change your life?
Essay Topic 3
Fanfare and celebrity are a theme.
Part 1) How are these a theme? How is this theme revealed throughout the story? How important is fanfare and celebrity to the story? Explain.
Part 2) What does the author think about fanfare and celebrity? How do you know this?
Part 3) What are your own thoughts about fanfare and celebrity? How is it good? How can it be bad? How can one be affected by it?
This section contains 860 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)