|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On Monday, June 28, Ms. Hanff attempted to get her silk dress pressed, but discovered what?
2. What had her brother given her?
3. What did Ms. Hanff do when she found out the publishers were not giving out her address to her fans?
4. On Tuesday, June 29, Ms. Hanff decided to take it easy. Why?
5. First they visited the home of two elderly sisters whose house, Ms. Hanff learned, had once been haunted by a ghost who would grow upset when?
Short Essay Questions
1. What problems did Ms. Hanff have with her silk dress?
2. What took place at the dinner at Nora's house?
3. What did Ms. Hanff do at Russell Square?
4. What did Ms. Hanff and Mr. Buckley do first when they drove to Windsor?
5. What takes place at the beginning of this book? Why does Ms. Hanff do this?
6. Where did Pat Buckley take Ms. Hanff that had a connection to Shakespeare? What did Ms. Hanff think of this?
7. Who meets Ms. Hanff at the airport?
8. What did the Colonel and Ms. Hanff do on the way to Stratford-on-Avon?
9. What happened when Ms. Hanff went to the services at the Royal Chapel?
10. What did Ms. Hanff learn about the Tower of London?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Her business sense is revealed at several points in this book.
Part 1) Describe the moments in the book in which Ms. Hanff focuses on the business end of this trip. Is the business of promoting her book important in this story? Why or why not?
Part 2) Why does the book end with Ms. Hanff focusing on the work she must do upon arrival in New York? How does this affect the end of the book?
Part 3) What is the most significant part of this trip for Ms. Hanff, as well as for the book? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Ms. Hanff makes a faux pas at a dinner party.
Part 1) What is a faux pas? What is this faux pas? How do others react to it? How does she react to it? Compare their reactions.
Part 2) What does this reveal about the different cultures? How different are they? In what ways are they different?
Part 3) What are faux pas today in our own culture? How are these faux pas connected to our culture? Are any universal? If so, which ones? If not, why not?
Essay Topic 3
Ms. Hanff receives a great deal of attention.
Part 1) Describe this attention. Why does she receive so much attention? Why is she surprised by this attention?
Part 2) How does Ms. Hanff react to this attention? Why does she react this way? Does her reaction change as the book progresses? Why or why not?
Part 3) How is she changed by this attention? How does fame affect people today? Give one example to support your response.
This section contains 954 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)