|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ms. Hanff admires the calm and quiet of London, but misses what?
2. How did this fan help Ms. Hanff?
3. About what did Ms. Hanff learn while at dinner with Nora and her daughter?
4. Where was Ms. Hanff taken after she left the airport?
5. Ms. Hanff went to Deusch's to get some of her royalties to pay for what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Ms. Hanff do at Russell Square?
2. Why is Eton important?
3. What takes place at the beginning of this book? Why does Ms. Hanff do this?
4. What did Ms. Hanff do before going to bed on her first night in England?
5. Who meets Ms. Hanff at the airport?
6. How did Mr. Buckley embarrass Ms. Hanff?
7. What did Ms. Hanff learn about the Tower of London?
8. Why is Ms. Hanff so interested in London?
9. How were Ms. Hanff's friends from Texas different in London? What did Ms. Hanff feel about this?
10. What took place the evening of Wednesday, June 30?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ms. Hanff has worries prior to arriving in England.
Part 1) What are her worries? Why does she have these worries?
Part 2) What does this reveal about her confidence regarding her book and its popularity?
Part 3) How are her fears alleviated? How might her opinion change regarding her book, throughout the story? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Ms. Hanff sees many sights while in London.
Part 1) Describe five of these sights. Why does she see these sights? Why are these sights important to her?
Part 2) Why does she include all of these places in her book? What is her purpose for telling the reader about these places?
Part 3) How do these places compare to what one might see in the U.S.? How are they similar? How are they different? What might the reasons be for these similarities and differences?
Essay Topic 3
Ms. Hanff has written a book inspired by England.
Part 1) Write a summary of this book. Why did she choose to write a book about England? Why is this so important to her?
Part 2) How important might this subject be to others? Why might one be a fan of her book?
Part 3) If you wrote a book inspired by a place, what place would that be? Why?
This section contains 864 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)