|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On Saturday, June 25, Ms. Hanff drove where with Mr. Buckley?
2. On Tuesday, June 29, Ms. Hanff decided to take it easy. Why?
3. Ms. Hanff admires the calm and quiet of London, but misses what?
4. Eddie and Isabel were conservative people at home. How did they act in London?
5. Ms. Hanff was going to England to promote what book?
Short Essay Questions
1. What problems did Ms. Hanff have with her silk dress?
2. What took place at the dinner at Nora's house?
3. What did Ms. Hanff do early on Wednesday, June 30?
4. How were Ms. Hanff's friends from Texas different in London? What did Ms. Hanff feel about this?
5. Why did Ms. Grenfell have trouble taking Ms. Hanff home?
6. What did Ms. Hanff and Mr. Buckley do first when they drove to Windsor?
7. What story was told at lunch with Nora?
8. Where did Pat Buckley take Ms. Hanff that had a connection to Shakespeare? What did Ms. Hanff think of this?
9. What did Ms. Hanff do at Russell Square?
10. Who meets Ms. Hanff at the airport?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ms. Hanff makes a faux pas at a dinner party.
Part 1) What is a faux pas? What is this faux pas? How do others react to it? How does she react to it? Compare their reactions.
Part 2) What does this reveal about the different cultures? How different are they? In what ways are they different?
Part 3) What are faux pas today in our own culture? How are these faux pas connected to our culture? Are any universal? If so, which ones? If not, why not?
Essay Topic 2
A theme found in this story is of dreams fulfilled.
Part 1) How is this a theme? What is Ms. Hanff's dream? How is it fulfilled?
Part 2) Is her experience in London what she had expected? Why or why not? Do you believe she would have done anything differently? Why or why not?
Part 3) What dreams do you have? How might your dreams be fulfilled? How might this change your life?
Essay Topic 3
Ms. Hanff's character is revealed throughout the story.
Part 1) Describe her character at the beginning of the story. How is her character revealed throughout this story?
Part 2) How does he character compare to others in this story? How does this affect her relationship with them?
Part 3) How many of her character traits are purely her own and how many might be considered American character traits? Explain.
This section contains 851 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)