|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ms. Hanff was embarrassed when?
2. That night Ms. Hanff went to a dinner party and returned to the hotel feeling like what?
3. Ms. Hanff visited a handful of booksellers before going to what?
4. How did this fan help Ms. Hanff?
5. Ms. Hanff had a delightful time and greatly enjoyed who?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the Colonel entertain Ms. Hanff on the way to Stratford-on-Avon?
2. What makes Ms. Hanff think of Central Park?
3. What do Ms. Hanff's friends do for her before she leaves?
4. What did Ms. Hanff do early on Wednesday, June 30?
5. What did Ms. Hanff and Mr. Buckley do first when they drove to Windsor?
6. What did Ms. Hanff learn about the Tower of London?
7. Who meets Ms. Hanff at the airport?
8. How were Ms. Hanff's friends from Texas different in London? What did Ms. Hanff feel about this?
9. What takes place at the beginning of this book? Why does Ms. Hanff do this?
10. What happened at Broadcasting House?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ms. Hanff's character is revealed throughout the story.
Part 1) Describe her character at the beginning of the story. How is her character revealed throughout this story?
Part 2) How does he character compare to others in this story? How does this affect her relationship with them?
Part 3) How many of her character traits are purely her own and how many might be considered American character traits? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Farewell parties are given for Ms. Hanff.
Part 1) Describe these parties. Why are these parties thrown for her? What do they reveal about her and her new acquaintances?
Part 2) Why might Ms. Hanff feel the way she does about these parties? How might this be connected to her homesickness?
Part 3) Does her memory of these parties surprise you? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Ms. Hanff has worries prior to arriving in England.
Part 1) What are her worries? Why does she have these worries?
Part 2) What does this reveal about her confidence regarding her book and its popularity?
Part 3) How are her fears alleviated? How might her opinion change regarding her book, throughout the story? Why?
This section contains 903 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)