|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Before going to bed, what did Ms. Hanff read through?
2. Ms. Hunff commented on the ceremony of the guards doing what?
3. What had her brother given her?
4. Ms. Hanff went to lunch with Nora where she was told a story of how Nora and Frank once knew a rare book dealer who turned out to be what?
5. Who was supposed to meet Ms. Hanff at the airport?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who meets Ms. Hanff at the airport?
2. What happened on Friday, June 24?
3. What happened at Broadcasting House?
4. What took place at the dinner at Nora's house?
5. Where did Pat Buckley take Ms. Hanff that had a connection to Shakespeare? What did Ms. Hanff think of this?
6. Why is Ms. Hanff's book called "84, Charring Cross Road?"
7. What problems did Ms. Hanff have with her silk dress?
8. What did the Colonel and Ms. Hanff do on the way to Stratford-on-Avon?
9. What did Ms. Hanff and Mr. Buckley do first when they drove to Windsor?
10. How did the Colonel entertain Ms. Hanff on the way to Stratford-on-Avon?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ms. Hanff's character is revealed throughout the story.
Part 1) Describe her character at the beginning of the story. How is her character revealed throughout this story?
Part 2) How does he character compare to others in this story? How does this affect her relationship with them?
Part 3) How many of her character traits are purely her own and how many might be considered American character traits? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Ms. Hanff is uncomfortable with her celebrity status.
Part 1) Describe her celebrity status. How does she gain this celebrity status? Why is she uncomfortable with it?
Part 2) Should she have expected this sort of treatment? Why or why not? Should she be uncomfortable with it? Why or why not?
Part 3) Can one be successful at a field such as writing and not gain celebrity status? Why or why not? Would you want to be famous? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
A theme found in this story is of dreams fulfilled.
Part 1) How is this a theme? What is Ms. Hanff's dream? How is it fulfilled?
Part 2) Is her experience in London what she had expected? Why or why not? Do you believe she would have done anything differently? Why or why not?
Part 3) What dreams do you have? How might your dreams be fulfilled? How might this change your life?
This section contains 910 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)