|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On Monday, June 28, Ms. Hanff attempted to get her silk dress pressed, but discovered what?
2. Ms. Hanff admires the calm and quiet of London, but misses what?
3. What had her brother given her?
4. Ms. Hanff went to her publishers' office from where she was taken to _____________.
5. Afterward, they saw what play?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Ms. Hanff do before going to bed on her first night in England?
2. What did Ms. Hanff do with Nora and Sheil on Sunday, July 11?
3. What happened on Friday, June 24?
4. What note did Ms. Hanff find? Who was it from?
5. Why is Ms. Hanff's book called "84, Charring Cross Road?"
6. What took place on Saturday, July 10?
7. What do Ms. Hanff's friends do for her before she leaves?
8. What did Ms. Hanff do with Sheila on Friday, July 23?
9. What did Ms. Hanff and Mr. Buckley do first when they drove to Windsor?
10. What happened at Broadcasting House?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ms. Hanff makes a faux pas at a dinner party.
Part 1) What is a faux pas? What is this faux pas? How do others react to it? How does she react to it? Compare their reactions.
Part 2) What does this reveal about the different cultures? How different are they? In what ways are they different?
Part 3) What are faux pas today in our own culture? How are these faux pas connected to our culture? Are any universal? If so, which ones? If not, why not?
Essay Topic 2
Ms. Hanff receives a great deal of attention.
Part 1) Describe this attention. Why does she receive so much attention? Why is she surprised by this attention?
Part 2) How does Ms. Hanff react to this attention? Why does she react this way? Does her reaction change as the book progresses? Why or why not?
Part 3) How is she changed by this attention? How does fame affect people today? Give one example to support your response.
Essay Topic 3
Ms. Hanff is uncomfortable with her celebrity status.
Part 1) Describe her celebrity status. How does she gain this celebrity status? Why is she uncomfortable with it?
Part 2) Should she have expected this sort of treatment? Why or why not? Should she be uncomfortable with it? Why or why not?
Part 3) Can one be successful at a field such as writing and not gain celebrity status? Why or why not? Would you want to be famous? Why or why not?
This section contains 2,224 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)