|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. That night Ms. Hanff went to a dinner party and returned to the hotel feeling like what?
2. Ena begged Ms. Hanff not to return home too early and to consider doing what?
3. Instead, what did Ms. Hanff and her friends do?
4. What did Ms. Hanff do when she found out the publishers were not giving out her address to her fans?
5. Ms. Hunff commented on the ceremony of the guards doing what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Ms. Hanff's book signing.
2. How did Mr. Buckley embarrass Ms. Hanff?
3. What did Ms. Hanff and Mr. Buckley do first when they drove to Windsor?
4. What happened when Ms. Hanff was back in her rooms.
5. What did Ms. Hanff do early on Wednesday, June 30?
6. What took place the evening of Wednesday, June 30?
7. What took place at the dinner at Nora's house?
8. Why did Ms. Grenfell have trouble taking Ms. Hanff home?
9. What happened on Friday, June 24?
10. Why is Ms. Hanff nervous?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Fanfare and celebrity are a theme.
Part 1) How are these a theme? How is this theme revealed throughout the story? How important is fanfare and celebrity to the story? Explain.
Part 2) What does the author think about fanfare and celebrity? How do you know this?
Part 3) What are your own thoughts about fanfare and celebrity? How is it good? How can it be bad? How can one be affected by it?
Essay Topic 2
Ms. Hanff's character is revealed throughout the story.
Part 1) Describe her character at the beginning of the story. How is her character revealed throughout this story?
Part 2) How does he character compare to others in this story? How does this affect her relationship with them?
Part 3) How many of her character traits are purely her own and how many might be considered American character traits? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Ms. Hanff is uncomfortable with her celebrity status.
Part 1) Describe her celebrity status. How does she gain this celebrity status? Why is she uncomfortable with it?
Part 2) Should she have expected this sort of treatment? Why or why not? Should she be uncomfortable with it? Why or why not?
Part 3) Can one be successful at a field such as writing and not gain celebrity status? Why or why not? Would you want to be famous? Why or why not?
This section contains 907 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)