|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Ms. Hanff's fan at the airport?
2. What did they do at this location?
3. On Tuesday, June 29, Ms. Hanff decided to take it easy. Why?
4. Afterward, she went across the street to get some cold medicine and supplies only to discover what?
5. That night, Ms. Hanff went to dinner with whom?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Ms. Hanff so interested in London?
2. What happened when Ms. Hanff was back in her rooms.
3. What took place at the dinner at Nora's house?
4. What did Ms. Hanff do early on Wednesday, June 30?
5. What makes Ms. Hanff think of Central Park?
6. Why is Ms. Hanff's book called "84, Charring Cross Road?"
7. What took place the evening of Wednesday, June 30?
8. Why is Ms. Hanff nervous?
9. What did Ms. Hanff do with Joyce Grenfell and her husband?
10. Describe Ms. Hanff's book signing.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ms. Hanff and Mr. Buckley have a growing relationship.
Part 1) How do these two meet? Describe their relationship when they first meet. How does it change over time?
Part 2) What causes this change? How important is Mr. Buckley to Ms. Hanff's stay and the story? Explain.
Part 3) Why does this relationship grow into a good friendship by the end of the story? Will it be lasting? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Ms. Hanff makes a faux pas at a dinner party.
Part 1) What is a faux pas? What is this faux pas? How do others react to it? How does she react to it? Compare their reactions.
Part 2) What does this reveal about the different cultures? How different are they? In what ways are they different?
Part 3) What are faux pas today in our own culture? How are these faux pas connected to our culture? Are any universal? If so, which ones? If not, why not?
Essay Topic 3
Ms. Hanff had been interested in London since she was a small girl.
Part 1) Why did this interest come about? Why would this create such an interest in London?
Part 2) How does this childhood dream become a reality? How does it also create anxiety and certain expectations?
Part 3) In what have you been interested since you were a small child? Why? How could your dreams become reality?
This section contains 860 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)