|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ms. Hanff had a delightful time and greatly enjoyed who?
2. What are two themes of the novel that are touched upon?
3. Ms. Hanff had wanted to see London ever since when?
4. What is an important site pointed out to Ms. Hanff?
5. Ms. Hanff was also planning to use what to pay for her stay?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Mr. Buckley embarrass Ms. Hanff?
2. What happened when Ms. Hanff went to the services at the Royal Chapel?
3. Why is Ms. Hanff nervous?
4. What happened at Broadcasting House?
5. What story was told at lunch with Nora?
6. How did the Colonel entertain Ms. Hanff on the way to Stratford-on-Avon?
7. Why is Ms. Hanff so interested in London?
8. What did Ms. Hanff do before going to bed on her first night in England?
9. Why is Ms. Hanff's book called "84, Charring Cross Road?"
10. Describe Ms. Hanff's book signing.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ms. Hanff's stay is extended.
Part 1) Why is her stay extended? How does she feel about this? What does she do with this extra time? How does it enhance her trip?
Part 2) Why does she not continue it for longer? Should she have stayed longer? Why or why not? What clues were given to show she was slightly homesick?
Part 3) What would you have done with an extra ten days? What types of activities would you have participated in? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Ms. Hanff makes many new acquaintances.
Part 1) Describe these new acquaintances. How does she come to meet them? How important is her book to the making of these new acquaintances?
Part 2) How important are these acquaintances to Ms. Hanff's stay in England? Why?
Part 3) Do you believe she will keep in touch with these acquaintances? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Ms. Hanff is uncomfortable with her celebrity status.
Part 1) Describe her celebrity status. How does she gain this celebrity status? Why is she uncomfortable with it?
Part 2) Should she have expected this sort of treatment? Why or why not? Should she be uncomfortable with it? Why or why not?
Part 3) Can one be successful at a field such as writing and not gain celebrity status? Why or why not? Would you want to be famous? Why or why not?
This section contains 818 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)