|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ms. Hanff got a call from a fan who invited her to visit ___________. Ms. Hanff agreed because she wanted to see the college that John Donne, John Henry Newmann, and Arthur Quiller-Couch had attended, three writers whom Ms. Hanff credits with teaching her a great deal about writing.
2. That night Ms. Hanff went to a dinner party and returned to the hotel feeling like what?
3. That night Ena arrived with what for Ms. Hanff's cold?
4. Mr. Buckley and Ms. Hanff went to _________ where Shakespeare used to be a regular customer.
5. She was hoping to stay in London for how long?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Ms. Hanff nervous?
2. Why is Ms. Hanff so interested in London?
3. What did Ms. Hanff agree to do while at dinner with Leo and Ena?
4. Why is Eton important?
5. What happened on Wednesday, July 7?
6. What took place on Saturday, July 17?
7. What happened on Friday, June 24?
8. What happened on Saturday, July 3?
9. What took place on Tuesday, July 6?
10. What do Ms. Hanff's friends do for her before she leaves?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Fanfare and celebrity are a theme.
Part 1) How are these a theme? How is this theme revealed throughout the story? How important is fanfare and celebrity to the story? Explain.
Part 2) What does the author think about fanfare and celebrity? How do you know this?
Part 3) What are your own thoughts about fanfare and celebrity? How is it good? How can it be bad? How can one be affected by it?
Essay Topic 2
Ms. Hanff had a delightful trip.
Part 1) Summarize her trip. How was it delightful? Did it fit her expectations? Why or why not? Were her expectations exceeded? Why or why not?
Part 2) Do you believe she will return to England? Why or why not? Would you want to return after such a delightful trip? Why or why not?
Part 3) If you could go on a trip anywhere, where would you go? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Ms. Hanff has made many new friends on this trip.
Part 1) Describe these friendships. How did they begin as mere acquaintances? What made them into friendships?
Part 2) How important are these friendships throughout the story? How does her character develop alongside her friendships in this story?
Part 3) Will these friendships continue to influence her throughout her life? Why or why not?
This section contains 2,284 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)