|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ena begged Ms. Hanff not to return home too early and to consider doing what?
2. On Sunday, June 27, Ms. Hanff went to services where and instantly discovered she was the center of attention, causing her a great deal of discomfort?
3. When she returned to the hotel, Ms. Hanff found a note from Mr. Buckley inviting her to go for a ride where?
4. Ms. Hanff and Mr. Buckley then drove around the city and saw what?
5. Ms. Hanff spent most of the day in the dining room watching _________ and reading the newspaper.
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did Pat Buckley take Ms. Hanff that had a connection to Shakespeare? What did Ms. Hanff think of this?
2. Why is Ms. Hanff nervous?
3. What did Ms. Hanff do early on Wednesday, June 30?
4. What problems did Ms. Hanff have with her silk dress?
5. What does Ms. Hanff do for most of the day on Tuesday, June 29? Why?
6. How were Ms. Hanff's friends from Texas different in London? What did Ms. Hanff feel about this?
7. What do Ms. Hanff's friends do for her before she leaves?
8. What happened when Ms. Hanff went to the services at the Royal Chapel?
9. What did Ms. Hanff do at Russell Square?
10. What takes place at the beginning of this book? Why does Ms. Hanff do this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Farewell parties are given for Ms. Hanff.
Part 1) Describe these parties. Why are these parties thrown for her? What do they reveal about her and her new acquaintances?
Part 2) Why might Ms. Hanff feel the way she does about these parties? How might this be connected to her homesickness?
Part 3) Does her memory of these parties surprise you? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Fanfare and celebrity are a theme.
Part 1) How are these a theme? How is this theme revealed throughout the story? How important is fanfare and celebrity to the story? Explain.
Part 2) What does the author think about fanfare and celebrity? How do you know this?
Part 3) What are your own thoughts about fanfare and celebrity? How is it good? How can it be bad? How can one be affected by it?
Essay Topic 3
Ms. Hanff grows slightly homesick.
Part 1) what clues are given to reveal a sense of homesickness? Why is she homesick?
Part 2) How might Ms. Hanff's trip to London affect her view of London? Will she still feel the same way about London? Why or why not? How might it alter her feelings toward New York? Why?
Part 3) How does going away from home affect you? Do you grow homesick? Do you wish to stay away longer? Explain.
This section contains 963 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)