|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ms. Hanff spent the day alone touring what?
2. What did Ms. Hanff learn about the ceremony of the guards?
3. Who was Ms. Hanff's fan at the airport?
4. First they visited the home of two elderly sisters whose house, Ms. Hanff learned, had once been haunted by a ghost who would grow upset when?
5. Ms. Hanff visited a handful of booksellers before going to what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened when Ms. Hanff was back in her rooms.
2. How did the Colonel entertain Ms. Hanff on the way to Stratford-on-Avon?
3. What takes place at the beginning of this book? Why does Ms. Hanff do this?
4. Why is Ms. Hanff so interested in London?
5. What do Ms. Hanff's friends do for her before she leaves?
6. What did Ms. Hanff do at Russell Square?
7. Why did Ms. Grenfell have trouble taking Ms. Hanff home?
8. What happened when Ms. Hanff went to the services at the Royal Chapel?
9. What makes Ms. Hanff think of Central Park?
10. Why is Eton important?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ms. Hanff's character is revealed throughout the story.
Part 1) Describe her character at the beginning of the story. How is her character revealed throughout this story?
Part 2) How does he character compare to others in this story? How does this affect her relationship with them?
Part 3) How many of her character traits are purely her own and how many might be considered American character traits? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Ms. Hanff's stay is extended.
Part 1) Why is her stay extended? How does she feel about this? What does she do with this extra time? How does it enhance her trip?
Part 2) Why does she not continue it for longer? Should she have stayed longer? Why or why not? What clues were given to show she was slightly homesick?
Part 3) What would you have done with an extra ten days? What types of activities would you have participated in? Why?
Essay Topic 3
A theme found in this story is of dreams fulfilled.
Part 1) How is this a theme? What is Ms. Hanff's dream? How is it fulfilled?
Part 2) Is her experience in London what she had expected? Why or why not? Do you believe she would have done anything differently? Why or why not?
Part 3) What dreams do you have? How might your dreams be fulfilled? How might this change your life?
This section contains 852 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)