|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of what was Ms. Hanff afraid?
2. Later that afternoon, Ms. Hanff spent the afternoon in ________ where she recalled an afternoon in New York where she and two friends had a picnic on Dog Hill that was interrupted by a group of hungry dogs.
3. Ms. Hanff finds all of these people she meets to be what?
4. Ms. Hanff got a call from a fan who invited her to visit ___________. Ms. Hanff agreed because she wanted to see the college that John Donne, John Henry Newmann, and Arthur Quiller-Couch had attended, three writers whom Ms. Hanff credits with teaching her a great deal about writing.
5. About what did Ms. Hanff learn while at dinner with Nora and her daughter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened when Ms. Hanff was back in her rooms.
2. What happened when Ms. Hanff went to the services at the Royal Chapel?
3. What happened at Broadcasting House?
4. What problems did Ms. Hanff have with her silk dress?
5. What do Ms. Hanff's friends do for her before she leaves?
6. Why is Eton important?
7. What did Ms. Hanff do with Joyce Grenfell and her husband?
8. What did the Colonel and Ms. Hanff do on the way to Stratford-on-Avon?
9. What does Ms. Hanff do for most of the day on Tuesday, June 29? Why?
10. Why did Ms. Grenfell have trouble taking Ms. Hanff home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ms. Hanff is uncomfortable with her celebrity status.
Part 1) Describe her celebrity status. How does she gain this celebrity status? Why is she uncomfortable with it?
Part 2) Should she have expected this sort of treatment? Why or why not? Should she be uncomfortable with it? Why or why not?
Part 3) Can one be successful at a field such as writing and not gain celebrity status? Why or why not? Would you want to be famous? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Ms. Hanff makes many new acquaintances.
Part 1) Describe these new acquaintances. How does she come to meet them? How important is her book to the making of these new acquaintances?
Part 2) How important are these acquaintances to Ms. Hanff's stay in England? Why?
Part 3) Do you believe she will keep in touch with these acquaintances? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Her business sense is revealed at several points in this book.
Part 1) Describe the moments in the book in which Ms. Hanff focuses on the business end of this trip. Is the business of promoting her book important in this story? Why or why not?
Part 2) Why does the book end with Ms. Hanff focusing on the work she must do upon arrival in New York? How does this affect the end of the book?
Part 3) What is the most significant part of this trip for Ms. Hanff, as well as for the book? Why?
This section contains 882 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)