|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was supposed to meet Ms. Hanff at the airport?
(a) Mr. Buckley and a fan of her book.
(b) Frank Doel and his family.
(c) Nora and Sheila Doel and a fan of her book.
(d) Ms. Hanff's cousin and the Doels.
2. When she returned to the hotel, Ms. Hanff found a note waiting for her from Joyce Grenfell. Who is Joyce?
(a) A neighbor from New York.
(b) A friend of her mother's.
(c) A fellow writer.
(d) A famous actress she had long admired.
3. Ms. Hanff had always wanted to do what?
(a) Visit her penpal.
(b) Go to England.
(c) Visit her family.
(d) Fly on a plane.
4. She was hoping to stay in London for how long?
(a) At least two weeks.
(b) At least a year.
(c) At least two months.
(d) At least six months.
5. Ms. Hanff got a call from a fan who invited her to visit ___________. Ms. Hanff agreed because she wanted to see the college that John Donne, John Henry Newmann, and Arthur Quiller-Couch had attended, three writers whom Ms. Hanff credits with teaching her a great deal about writing.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Colonel took her where?
2. Describe Ms. Hanff's hotel room.
3. Ms. Hanff was also planning to use what to pay for her stay?
4. Ms. Hanff spent most of the day in the dining room watching _________ and reading the newspaper.
5. Later that afternoon, Ms. Hanff spent the afternoon in ________ where she recalled an afternoon in New York where she and two friends had a picnic on Dog Hill that was interrupted by a group of hungry dogs.
Short Essay Questions
1. Who meets Ms. Hanff at the airport?
2. Was Ms. Hanff able to see Joyce Grenfell present a dialogue? Why or why not?
3. What happened when Ms. Hanff went to the services at the Royal Chapel?
4. What took place on Wednesday, July 14?
5. What did the Colonel and Ms. Hanff do on Wednesday, July 21?
6. What does Ms. Hanff do for most of the day on Tuesday, June 29? Why?
7. Describe Ms. Hanff's last couple days in London and trip home.
8. What did Ms. Hanff do during the day on Thursday, July 15?
9. What do Ms. Hanff's friends do for her before she leaves?
10. What happened on Sunday, July 4?
This section contains 849 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)