|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What had her brother given her?
(a) A gift card.
(b) One hundred dollars to spend.
(c) A new purse.
(d) A list of places to visit.
2. On Monday, June 28, Ms. Hanff attempted to get her silk dress pressed, but discovered what?
(a) The dress was not where she thought it was.
(b) The dress could not be pressed.
(c) The hotel was not set up for that sort of services.
(d) The dress no longer fit.
3. This place is a ____________________.
(a) Tourist trap.
(b) Waste of time.
(c) Favorite of locals.
4. First they visited the home of two elderly sisters whose house, Ms. Hanff learned, had once been haunted by a ghost who would grow upset when?
(a) They had guests over.
(b) They stayed up late.
(c) They planned to take a trip.
(d) They came home.
5. Ms. Hanff finds all of these people she meets to be what?
(a) Friendly but nosy.
(b) Kind and generous.
(c) Annoying and rude.
6. On Friday, June 18, Ms. Hanff attempted to take a shower and discovered what?
(a) The shower was designed poorly.
(b) There was no hot water.
(c) The shower was not working.
(d) There was only a bathtub.
7. What was Ms. Hanff surprised to find?
(a) No one at her book signing.
(b) A sizable line of people waiting for her.
(c) She could get around London quite well on her own.
(d) A large group on the tour.
8. When she returned to the hotel, Ms. Hanff found a note waiting for her from Joyce Grenfell. Who is Joyce?
(a) A famous actress she had long admired.
(b) A neighbor from New York.
(c) A friend of her mother's.
(d) A fellow writer.
9. Instead, what did Ms. Hanff and her friends do?
(a) They saw A Midsummer Night's Dream.
(b) They went on a tour of London.
(c) They stayed in.
(d) They had a pleasant dinner.
10. Ms. Hanff spent the day alone touring what?
(a) Hyde Park.
(b) Regent's Park.
(c) Saint James Park.
(d) Battersea Park.
11. When she returned to the hotel, Ms. Hanff found a note from Mr. Buckley inviting her to go for a ride where?
(a) To Windsor and Eton.
(b) To Uxbridge and Watford.
(c) To Gillingham and Canterbury.
(d) To Slough and Luton.
12. Ms. Hanff was also planning to use what to pay for her stay?
(a) Gifts from her family.
(b) Her most recent paycheck.
(c) Her advance on the book.
(d) The money she earned from a previous book.
13. Describe Ms. Hanff's hotel room.
14. Ms. Hanff visited a handful of booksellers before going to what?
(a) A tour of the Tower of London.
(b) The park.
(c) A book signing for her book.
(d) A play.
15. Ms. Hunff commented on the ceremony of the guards doing what?
(a) Standing still.
(b) Changing places.
(d) Locking the gate.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ms. Hanff drove where with The Colonel?
2. What did Ms. Hanff do to reassure herself they would be there?
3. Ms. Hanff got a call from a fan who invited her to visit ___________. Ms. Hanff agreed because she wanted to see the college that John Donne, John Henry Newmann, and Arthur Quiller-Couch had attended, three writers whom Ms. Hanff credits with teaching her a great deal about writing.
4. What did this stop cause?
5. Ms. Hanff and Mr. Buckley then drove around the city and saw what?
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)