|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On Tuesday, June 29, Ms. Hanff decided to take it easy. Why?
(a) Everyone else had plans.
(b) It was raining.
(c) She was tired.
(d) To nurse a cold she caught.
2. Ms. Hanff had wanted to see London ever since when?
(a) She learned about London in school.
(b) She was a small girl.
(c) She became Frank's pen pal.
(d) She had read Shakespeare.
3. On Sunday, June 27, Ms. Hanff went to services where and instantly discovered she was the center of attention, causing her a great deal of discomfort?
(a) At St John's Chapel.
(b) At the Guards Chapel.
(c) At the Queen's Chapel.
(d) At the Royal Chapel.
4. What did Ms. Hanff do to reassure herself they would be there?
(a) She called them.
(b) She took a nap.
(c) She read their letters again.
(d) She busied herself with other things.
5. Ms. Hanff thinks how a park reflects the people of the city it is in, and how much she would miss ________________ if she ever left New York.
(a) Central Park.
(b) Prospect Park.
(c) Washington Square Park.
(d) Madison Square Park.
6. From there, Ms. Hanff and Mr. Buckley went to _________ where Mr. Buckley had once been a student and saw an historic wall where many of the past students had their names carved upon graduation, including Shelley.
7. Instead, what did Ms. Hanff and her friends do?
(a) They stayed in.
(b) They saw A Midsummer Night's Dream.
(c) They went on a tour of London.
(d) They had a pleasant dinner.
8. What did Ms. Hanff learn about the ceremony of the guards?
(a) They had been doing this for over one thousand years.
(b) They only stop at night.
(c) They had done that every night for more than seven hundred years.
(d) They do this every day.
9. They visited Marlborough House but discovered what?
(a) It was under repair.
(b) It was very crowded.
(c) It was closed.
(d) It was very expensive.
10. Ms. Hanff finally had to put her foot down when Eddie suggested they do what, without changing?
(a) See a movie.
(b) Visit her new acquaintances.
(c) Go to dinner.
(d) See A Midsummer's Night Dream.
11. Ms. Hanff was also planning to use what to pay for her stay?
(a) Gifts from her family.
(b) Her most recent paycheck.
(c) The money she earned from a previous book.
(d) Her advance on the book.
12. Afterward, they saw what play?
(a) King Lear.
(c) A Midsummer's Night Dream.
(d) The Tempest.
13. Afterward, she went across the street to get some cold medicine and supplies only to discover what?
(a) The store was closed.
(b) They did not sell cold medicine.
(c) A bulletin board covered in questionable advertisements.
(d) They were out of all the cold medication.
14. What are two themes of the novel that are touched upon?
(a) Luxury and friendship.
(b) Family and poverty.
(c) Friendship and fanfare.
(d) Poverty and desire.
15. Ms. Hunff commented on the ceremony of the guards doing what?
(a) Standing still.
(b) Locking the gate.
(d) Changing places.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ms. Hanff visited a handful of booksellers before going to what?
2. About what were they asked?
3. Before reaching their destination, Ms. Hanff told the Colonel about what of which a friend had once sent her a postcard?
4. Ms. Hanff went to her publishers' office from where she was taken to _____________.
5. Ms. Hanff got a call from a fan who invited her to visit ___________. Ms. Hanff agreed because she wanted to see the college that John Donne, John Henry Newmann, and Arthur Quiller-Couch had attended, three writers whom Ms. Hanff credits with teaching her a great deal about writing.
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)