|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Ms. Hanff do when she found out the publishers were not giving out her address to her fans?
(a) She told Carmen to feel free to give out the address.
(b) She thanked them.
(c) She became very angry.
(d) She told them to only give out her office address.
2. Ms. Hanff's fans appear to be becoming what?
(b) Her friends.
3. Ms. Hanff went to lunch with Nora where she was told a story of how Nora and Frank once knew a rare book dealer who turned out to be what?
(a) A Russian spy.
(b) A king.
(c) A drug dealer.
(d) A cop.
4. What did Ms. Hanff do to reassure herself they would be there?
(a) She busied herself with other things.
(b) She read their letters again.
(c) She took a nap.
(d) She called them.
5. On Friday, June 18, Ms. Hanff attempted to take a shower and discovered what?
(a) There was no hot water.
(b) The shower was designed poorly.
(c) The shower was not working.
(d) There was only a bathtub.
6. That night Ena arrived with what for Ms. Hanff's cold?
(a) A book.
(b) A letter.
(c) Some home remedies.
(d) A souvenir.
7. That night, Ms. Hanff met Joyce Grenfell, her husband, Reggie, and a couple from Australia where for dinner?
(a) At Clos Maggiore.
(b) At the Waldorf.
(c) At Piccadilly Restaurant.
(d) At Terra.
8. Ms. Hanff was embarrassed when?
(a) Mr. Buckley told her to change her clothes.
(b) Mr. Buckley seemed unhappy with the idea of her wearing pants, something she does routinely.
(c) Mr. Buckley seemed excited to see her.
(d) Mr. Buckley did not show up.
9. Ms. Hanff had a delightful time and greatly enjoyed who?
(c) The server.
10. What was realized when she arrived here?
(a) The store was closed by then.
(b) The play was sold out.
(c) Her room was being cleaned.
(d) The store was busy.
11. What are two themes of the novel that are touched upon?
(a) Luxury and friendship.
(b) Poverty and desire.
(c) Friendship and fanfare.
(d) Family and poverty.
12. What had her brother given her?
(a) A list of places to visit.
(b) One hundred dollars to spend.
(c) A new purse.
(d) A gift card.
13. Ms. Hanff visited a handful of booksellers before going to what?
(a) A play.
(b) A book signing for her book.
(c) A tour of the Tower of London.
(d) The park.
14. On Saturday, June 19, Ms. Hanff called Pat Buckley for what reason?
(a) To give him a complementary copy of her book.
(b) To see if he would like to meet for dinner.
(c) In response to a note he sent her about a tour of London.
(d) To ask for directions to St. Paul's Cathedral.
15. Describe the person in #13.
(a) He was her pen pal for many years.
(b) He was a big man who had recently been widowed.
(c) She was the wife of her pen pal.
(d) He was an acquaintance of her family.
Short Answer Questions
1. They visited Marlborough House but discovered what?
2. Ms. Hanff went to Deusch's to get some of her royalties to pay for what?
3. Eddie and Isabel were conservative people at home. How did they act in London?
4. That night, The Colonel called and when he learned of her trip to Oxford, he suggested what?
5. Ms. Hanff was ______________ the other customers.
This section contains 589 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)