|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ms. Hanff was also planning to use what to pay for her stay?
(a) Her advance on the book.
(b) Gifts from her family.
(c) The money she earned from a previous book.
(d) Her most recent paycheck.
2. Before going to bed, what did Ms. Hanff read through?
(a) Her itinerary.
(b) A note Carmen had sent outlining the interviews she was to do over the next few days.
(c) The letters from her pen pal.
(d) The book she had written.
3. Ms. Hanff admires the calm and quiet of London, but misses what?
(a) The weather of Miami.
(b) The comforts of Chicago.
(c) The chaos that reigns in New York.
(d) The beaches of Los Angeles.
4. Afterward, she went across the street to get some cold medicine and supplies only to discover what?
(a) They were out of all the cold medication.
(b) A bulletin board covered in questionable advertisements.
(c) They did not sell cold medicine.
(d) The store was closed.
5. Ms. Hanff and Mr. Buckley then drove around the city and saw what?
(a) The Tower of London.
(b) National Gallery.
(c) Russell Square.
(d) Big Ben.
6. She was hoping to stay in London for how long?
(a) At least six months.
(b) At least a year.
(c) At least two weeks.
(d) At least two months.
7. Ms. Hanff spent most of the day in the dining room watching _________ and reading the newspaper.
(a) The locals.
(c) The other tourists.
(d) The employees.
8. Mr. Buckley and Ms. Hanff went to _________ where Shakespeare used to be a regular customer.
(a) A store.
(b) A theater.
(c) An inn.
(d) A pub.
9. Who was Ms. Hanff's fan at the airport?
(a) Frank Doel.
(b) Pat Buckley.
(c) Sheila Doel.
(d) The Colonel.
10. Ms. Hanff discovers how different London is from what city?
(b) New York.
(d) Los Angeles.
11. Who are Nora and Sheila Doel?
(a) The sisters of her pen pal at Marks and Co.
(b) The daughters of her pen pal at Marks and Co.
(c) The wife and daughter of her pen pal at Marks & Co.
(d) The friends of her pen pal at Marks and Co.
12. Ms. Hanff visited a handful of booksellers before going to what?
(a) The park.
(b) A play.
(c) A book signing for her book.
(d) A tour of the Tower of London.
13. On Sunday, June 20, Ms. Hanff visited ______________ where she met a ticket taker with whom she discussed roses.
(a) Buckingham Palace.
(b) Big Ben.
(c) London Tower.
(d) Russell Square.
14. Ms. Hanff thinks how a park reflects the people of the city it is in, and how much she would miss ________________ if she ever left New York.
(a) Central Park.
(b) Washington Square Park.
(c) Prospect Park.
(d) Madison Square Park.
15. What had her brother given her?
(a) A gift card.
(b) One hundred dollars to spend.
(c) A list of places to visit.
(d) A new purse.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ms. Hanff went to lunch with Nora where she was told a story of how Nora and Frank once knew a rare book dealer who turned out to be what?
2. Ms. Grenfell drove Ms. Hanff home afterward, having difficulty finding a way to get to the hotel's front door. Why?
3. That night, Ms. Hanff went to see a play with whom?
4. At a going away party, several friends had given her a gift certificate to __________.
5. About what did Ms. Hanff learn while at dinner with Nora and her daughter?
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)