|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When she returned to the hotel, Ms. Hanff found a note waiting for her from Joyce Grenfell. Who is Joyce?
(a) A fellow writer.
(b) A neighbor from New York.
(c) A friend of her mother's.
(d) A famous actress she had long admired.
2. Ms. Hanff's fans appear to be becoming what?
(c) Her friends.
3. Later in the day, Ms. Hanff and Nora Doel were interviewed where?
(a) At the hotel.
(b) At 84, Charing Cross Road.
(c) At Nora's home.
(d) At Broadcasting House.
4. What did Ms. Hanff do when she found out the publishers were not giving out her address to her fans?
(a) She told them to only give out her office address.
(b) She became very angry.
(c) She told Carmen to feel free to give out the address.
(d) She thanked them.
5. Ms. Hanff spent the day alone touring what?
(a) Battersea Park.
(b) Regent's Park.
(c) Saint James Park.
(d) Hyde Park.
6. They visited Marlborough House but discovered what?
(a) It was very expensive.
(b) It was under repair.
(c) It was very crowded.
(d) It was closed.
7. Ms. Hanff was ______________ the other customers.
(a) Surprised by.
(b) Annoyed by.
(c) Worried about.
(d) Interested in.
8. Buckley encouraged Ms. Hanff to visit what the following day?
(a) The Queen's Chapel.
(b) The Guards Chapel.
(c) The Royal Chapel.
(d) St John's Chapel.
9. What did Ms. Hanff do to reassure herself they would be there?
(a) She read their letters again.
(b) She called them.
(c) She busied herself with other things.
(d) She took a nap.
10. What did Ms. Hanff learn about the ceremony of the guards?
(a) They only stop at night.
(b) They had been doing this for over one thousand years.
(c) They had done that every night for more than seven hundred years.
(d) They do this every day.
11. Ms. Hanff was going to England to promote what book?
(b) Q's Legacy.
(c) Charing Cross Road.
(d) 84, Charing Cross Road.
12. Ms. Hanff thinks how a park reflects the people of the city it is in, and how much she would miss ________________ if she ever left New York.
(a) Central Park.
(b) Prospect Park.
(c) Washington Square Park.
(d) Madison Square Park.
13. Afterward, they saw what play?
(a) King Lear.
(b) The Tempest.
(d) A Midsummer's Night Dream.
14. Ms. Hanff went out with a couple of friends from _________ who happened to be visiting London.
(c) New York.
15. About what did Ms. Hanff learn while at dinner with Nora and her daughter?
(a) English history.
(b) Life in England.
(c) Places to visit.
(d) More about the wife and daughter of her pen pal.
Short Answer Questions
1. At a going away party, several friends had given her a gift certificate to __________.
2. On Sunday, June 27, Ms. Hanff went to services where and instantly discovered she was the center of attention, causing her a great deal of discomfort?
3. On Sunday, June 20, Ms. Hanff visited ______________ where she met a ticket taker with whom she discussed roses.
4. Ena begged Ms. Hanff not to return home too early and to consider doing what?
5. On Wednesday, June 30, Ms. Hanff received what while attempting to eat her breakfast?
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)