|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What prompted her to be interested in London?
(a) She learned of her English Quaker ancestry.
(b) She liked English architecture.
(c) She wanted to meet her pen pal.
(d) She liked Shakespeare.
2. What did they do at this location?
(a) They had lunch.
(b) They got dessert.
(c) They ate icecream.
(d) They stopped for drinks.
3. When she returned to the hotel, Ms. Hanff found a note from Mr. Buckley inviting her to go for a ride where?
(a) To Uxbridge and Watford.
(b) To Gillingham and Canterbury.
(c) To Slough and Luton.
(d) To Windsor and Eton.
4. On the way, the Colonel entertained Ms. Hanff with what stories?
(a) How he tries to cheer travelers up in the airport.
(b) Mistakes made at the airport.
(c) Of the British.
(d) Of his childhood.
5. Back at the hotel, Ms. Hanff read an article about her arrival in London and was amused by what?
(a) The description of her.
(b) The language used in the article.
(c) The reporter called her chic.
(d) The length of the article.
6. When she returned to the hotel, Ms. Hanff found a note waiting for her from Joyce Grenfell. Who is Joyce?
(a) A friend of her mother's.
(b) A neighbor from New York.
(c) A famous actress she had long admired.
(d) A fellow writer.
7. What was realized when she arrived here?
(a) The store was closed by then.
(b) The store was busy.
(c) The play was sold out.
(d) Her room was being cleaned.
8. What was Ms. Hanff surprised to find?
(a) No one at her book signing.
(b) A sizable line of people waiting for her.
(c) A large group on the tour.
(d) She could get around London quite well on her own.
9. On Sunday, June 27, Ms. Hanff went to services where and instantly discovered she was the center of attention, causing her a great deal of discomfort?
(a) At the Queen's Chapel.
(b) At St John's Chapel.
(c) At the Guards Chapel.
(d) At the Royal Chapel.
10. Later in the day, Ms. Hanff and Nora Doel were interviewed where?
(a) At Broadcasting House.
(b) At 84, Charing Cross Road.
(c) At Nora's home.
(d) At the hotel.
11. Instead, what did Ms. Hanff and her friends do?
(a) They stayed in.
(b) They went on a tour of London.
(c) They had a pleasant dinner.
(d) They saw A Midsummer Night's Dream.
12. Afterward, they saw what play?
(a) King Lear.
(b) A Midsummer's Night Dream.
(c) The Tempest.
13. That night Ena arrived with what for Ms. Hanff's cold?
(a) A book.
(b) A souvenir.
(c) Some home remedies.
(d) A letter.
14. On Saturday, June 25, Ms. Hanff drove where with Mr. Buckley?
(a) To Cambridge.
(b) To Windsor.
(c) To Oxford.
(d) To St Albans.
15. That night Ms. Hanff went to a dinner party and returned to the hotel feeling like what?
(a) A native Londoner.
(b) A visitor.
(c) A duchess.
(d) A queen.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ms. Hunff felt this way about the other customers until when?
2. She was hoping to stay in London for how long?
3. Ms. Hanff had just boarded the flight to London despite what fact?
4. First they visited the home of two elderly sisters whose house, Ms. Hanff learned, had once been haunted by a ghost who would grow upset when?
5. Ms. Hanff thinks how a park reflects the people of the city it is in, and how much she would miss ________________ if she ever left New York.
This section contains 625 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)