|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who are Nora and Sheila Doel?
(a) The wife and daughter of her pen pal at Marks & Co.
(b) The daughters of her pen pal at Marks and Co.
(c) The sisters of her pen pal at Marks and Co.
(d) The friends of her pen pal at Marks and Co.
2. Ms. Hanff had always wanted to do what?
(a) Fly on a plane.
(b) Go to England.
(c) Visit her family.
(d) Visit her penpal.
3. Afterward, she went across the street to get some cold medicine and supplies only to discover what?
(a) They were out of all the cold medication.
(b) They did not sell cold medicine.
(c) The store was closed.
(d) A bulletin board covered in questionable advertisements.
4. What was Ms. Hanff surprised to find?
(a) She could get around London quite well on her own.
(b) No one at her book signing.
(c) A large group on the tour.
(d) A sizable line of people waiting for her.
5. On the way, the Colonel entertained Ms. Hanff with what stories?
(a) Mistakes made at the airport.
(b) Of the British.
(c) How he tries to cheer travelers up in the airport.
(d) Of his childhood.
6. Ms. Hanff had just boarded the flight to London despite what fact?
(a) She had just been released from the hospital after an unscheduled surgery.
(b) She was not packed.
(c) She will ill.
(d) She did not want to fly on the plane.
7. Of what was Ms. Hanff afraid?
(a) Getting lost.
(b) Hostile fans.
(c) Being the only one on the tour.
(d) No one would show up to her book signing.
8. Ms. Hanff went out with a couple of friends from _________ who happened to be visiting London.
(a) New York.
9. About what were they asked?
(a) What they plan to do together.
(b) How they met.
(c) What it was like meeting after so many years.
(d) Why they decided to finally meet.
10. Back at the hotel, Ms. Hanff read an article about her arrival in London and was amused by what?
(a) The language used in the article.
(b) The reporter called her chic.
(c) The description of her.
(d) The length of the article.
11. Ms. Hanff finds all of these people she meets to be what?
(a) Annoying and rude.
(b) Friendly but nosy.
(c) Kind and generous.
12. Ms. Hanff was ______________ the other customers.
(a) Surprised by.
(b) Annoyed by.
(c) Worried about.
(d) Interested in.
13. What is an important site pointed out to Ms. Hanff?
(a) Charing Cross Road.
(b) St. Paul's Cathedral.
(c) Big Ben.
(d) London Bridge.
14. Ms. Hanff thinks how a park reflects the people of the city it is in, and how much she would miss ________________ if she ever left New York.
(a) Prospect Park.
(b) Central Park.
(c) Madison Square Park.
(d) Washington Square Park.
15. That night Ms. Hanff went to a dinner party and returned to the hotel feeling like what?
(a) A queen.
(b) A native Londoner.
(c) A visitor.
(d) A duchess.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ms. Hanff's fans appear to be becoming what?
2. Instead, what did Ms. Hanff and her friends do?
3. Ms. Grenfell drove Ms. Hanff home afterward, having difficulty finding a way to get to the hotel's front door. Why?
4. Ms. Hanff had wanted to see London ever since when?
5. Ms. Hanff was going to England to promote what book?
This section contains 598 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)