|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Levi think of the theory that mankind cannot do without conflict?
2. What did train convoys from Italy carry?
3. Hitler demonstrated that a war fought in the industrial era can be damaging even without _____________.
4. What does Amery write about?
5. According to Levi, which of these factors did NOT play a role in the Nazi violence?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Levi feel after he kicked Elias?
2. Which types of professionals were allowed to practice their trade in the lagers?
3. What is Levi's explanation for why Jews did not try to escape?
4. Explain why violence is endemic in the Third World.
5. Why does Levi want Survival in Auschwitz to be published in German?
6. Describe the overall feeling of the majority of letters Levi receives.
7. What does Levi think about Amery's definition of an intellectual?
8. List some examples of the violence that stems from World War II.
9. Summarize Levi's response to Dr. T.H. of Hamburg.
10. Describe the relationship between Amery and Levi after liberation.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did the treatment of prisoners change over the course of the war? What happened as the Nazis began to suffer defeats on the battlefields?
Essay Topic 2
Why are survivors' stories an important part of understanding the Holocaust and World War II. Why might survivors' stories not tell us the complete picture?
Essay Topic 3
The lagers were concentration and death camps established by the Nazis so they could have slaves and exterminate the Jews. Why were the Nazis fearful that the rest of the world would learn about the lagers? What did they have to hide when Hitler's rhetoric about riding Germany of Jews was so clear?
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)