|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT a way in which Levi thinks that the crimes were punished?
2. What do Amery and Levi agree about cultivated people?
3. What does Amery write about?
4. Why do survivors find it difficult to speak with younger generations?
5. What does Levi think about the experiences of lager survivors?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize Levi's response to Dr. T.H. of Hamburg.
2. Why do the stories of survivors become less important to passing generations?
3. What was special about Mala Zimetbaum?
4. Explain the relationship between Levi and his German publisher and translator.
5. Why does Levi think the Nazis waged a suicidal war?
6. What does Levi think about Amery's definition of an intellectual?
7. How did Levi feel after he kicked Elias?
8. Describe the relationship between Amery and Levi after liberation.
9. What is the last stereotype that the author tries to dissuade?
10. What is Levi's explanation for why Jews did not try to escape?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do the Nazis need or want prisoners in the lagers to be collaborators? Discuss different kinds of collaborators and how they benefited the Nazi agenda.
Essay Topic 2
Levi states that victims and oppressors are both tormented by memories.
Part 1: Explain the kinds of memories that the victims might have and why these memories are difficult, even forty years after the fact.
Part 2: Explain why and how oppressors tend to hide from memories of their past actions.
Essay Topic 3
From a Nazi perspective, discuss the reasons why the lagers were a necessary part of the war.
This section contains 934 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)