|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Levi, what made young Germans hate Jews?
2. Which of the following was NOT a purpose that the lagers serve for the Nazis?
3. What happened to Germans who were found helping Jews escape?
4. The violence the Nazis inflicted did all of the following except:
5. What does Levi think of the theory that mankind cannot do without conflict?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the relationship between Amery and Levi after liberation.
2. Who does Levi consider responsible for the horrors of the lagers?
3. Describe Jean Amery's life before he arrived in Auschwitz.
4. What is Levi's explanation for why Jews did not try to escape?
5. What is the last stereotype that the author tries to dissuade?
6. Who were counted at roll calls?
7. In Chapter 7, Stereotypes, Levi discusses stereotypes in regard to three aspects of survivor behavior. What are they?
8. What did the roll call drills reinforce in the prisoners?
9. Explain why violence is endemic in the Third World.
10. Why is Levi interested in corresponding with H.L., the student from Bavaria?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did the treatment of prisoners change over the course of the war? What happened as the Nazis began to suffer defeats on the battlefields?
Essay Topic 2
Why are survivors' stories an important part of understanding the Holocaust and World War II. Why might survivors' stories not tell us the complete picture?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the organization of the book, considering how information is divided into chapters. Does the organizational structure work?
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)