|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did train convoys from Italy carry?
2. At the end of the book, to what does Levi chalk up the period of Nazi rule?
3. What do Amery and Levi agree about cultivated people?
4. Hitler demonstrated that a war fought in the industrial era can be damaging even without _____________.
5. Most of the letters that Levi received were about what topic?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who were counted at roll calls?
2. Why does Levi want Survival in Auschwitz to be published in German?
3. What is Levi's explanation for why Jews did not try to escape?
4. Describe the relationship between Amery and Levi after liberation.
5. Describe the overall feeling of the majority of letters Levi receives.
6. Who does Levi consider responsible for the horrors of the lagers?
7. Explain the relationship between Levi and his German publisher and translator.
8. Summarize Dr. T.H.'s letter to Levi.
9. Why does Levi think the Nazis waged a suicidal war?
10. What is the last stereotype that the author tries to dissuade?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Levi titles Chapter 5 Useless Violence. Do you think that violence can ever be useful? Use examples from the book and your own life to give a rationale for your answer.
Essay Topic 2
This is a book that has more than one theme. In your mind, what is the main theme of the book? Discuss how it is explored throughout the book.
Essay Topic 3
Levi writes this book hoping to receive letters that help him answer the question of whether or not Germans can be understood. Do you think Levi gets his answer? Do you think Germans can be understood for their role in the Holocaust?
This section contains 877 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)