|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Levi, how should problems be solved?
2. What does H.L. complain about in her letter?
3. What did Levi do when he was tempted to pray?
4. Which was NOT a reason that people joined the SS?
5. In what year is Survival in Auschwitz first published?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Levi agree with Amery that believers had an easier time in the lager?
2. What happened to intellectuals who did manage to flee Germany "beforehand?"
3. Why does Levi want Survival in Auschwitz to be published in German?
4. Who does Levi consider responsible for the horrors of the lagers?
5. Why is Levi interested in corresponding with H.L., the student from Bavaria?
6. What is Levi's explanation for why Jews did not try to escape?
7. Describe the overall feeling of the majority of letters Levi receives.
8. Why does Levi think the Nazis waged a suicidal war?
9. Summarize Dr. T.H.'s letter to Levi.
10. What happened in the roll call when a prisoner was missing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Levi's unique relationship with Hety S. How would you characterize this type of relationship?
Essay Topic 2
The lagers were concentration and death camps established by the Nazis so they could have slaves and exterminate the Jews. Why were the Nazis fearful that the rest of the world would learn about the lagers? What did they have to hide when Hitler's rhetoric about riding Germany of Jews was so clear?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the different ways that Levi thinks memories change over time. Include at least three ways that memories change and give an example of each.
This section contains 893 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)