|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Amery think survive in higher numbers?
2. According to Levi, what were people who were denied freedom in a place where freedom was considered a right expected to do?
3. What does Levi consider all SS and all Germans in general to be?
4. During World War I, which trait characterized the relationship between antagonists?
5. How many people were put in each train car arriving from Italy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Levi think the Nazis waged a suicidal war?
2. What does Levi think about Amery's definition of an intellectual?
3. Summarize Levi's response to Dr. T.H. of Hamburg.
4. Which types of professionals were allowed to practice their trade in the lagers?
5. What is Levi's explanation for why Jews did not try to escape?
6. Describe the relationship between Amery and Levi after liberation.
7. List some examples of the violence that stems from World War II.
8. What did the women at Birkenau use their bowls for?
9. Why do the stories of survivors become less important to passing generations?
10. Who were counted at roll calls?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What would you have done if you were recruited to be a sonderkommando? How do you think you would have handled being in that situation?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss some of the main issues regarding communication mentioned in the book. Make sure to touch on communication within the lager as well as the communication of survivors.
Essay Topic 3
Why are survivors' stories an important part of understanding the Holocaust and World War II. Why might survivors' stories not tell us the complete picture?
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)