|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many people were put in each train car arriving from Italy?
2. Which of the following was NOT a purpose that the lagers serve for the Nazis?
3. Which of the following is NOT a way in which Levi thinks that the crimes were punished?
4. From which camp did Mala Zimetbaum try to escape?
5. The student from Bavaria, H.L., first writes to Levi in what year?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the women at Birkenau use their bowls for?
2. Describe the relationship between Amery and Levi after liberation.
3. In Chapter 7, Stereotypes, Levi discusses stereotypes in regard to three aspects of survivor behavior. What are they?
4. Why does Levi want Survival in Auschwitz to be published in German?
5. Describe the overall feeling of the majority of letters Levi receives.
6. Why does Levi agree with Amery that believers had an easier time in the lager?
7. How does Levi explain the stereotype of rebellion?
8. Why is Levi interested in corresponding with H.L., the student from Bavaria?
9. What happened to intellectuals who did manage to flee Germany "beforehand?"
10. List some examples of the violence that stems from World War II.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do the Nazis need or want prisoners in the lagers to be collaborators? Discuss different kinds of collaborators and how they benefited the Nazi agenda.
Essay Topic 2
Levi writes this book hoping to receive letters that help him answer the question of whether or not Germans can be understood. Do you think Levi gets his answer? Do you think Germans can be understood for their role in the Holocaust?
Essay Topic 3
What would you have done if you were recruited to be a sonderkommando? How do you think you would have handled being in that situation?
This section contains 789 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)