|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Levi call the daily rituals of the lager?
2. What does Levi think about the experiences of lager survivors?
3. What was Hitler's intention from the start of the war?
4. Which characterizes the relationship between Amery and Levi after Liberation?
5. What do Amery and Levi agree about cultivated people?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened in the roll call when a prisoner was missing?
2. Why is Levi interested in corresponding with H.L., the student from Bavaria?
3. Why does Levi want Survival in Auschwitz to be published in German?
4. What did the women at Birkenau use their bowls for?
5. Who does Levi consider responsible for the horrors of the lagers?
6. Describe the relationship between Amery and Levi after liberation.
7. Who were counted at roll calls?
8. Levi considers the violence perpetrated by the Nazis to have been useless except for one thing. What was it?
9. What happened to intellectuals who did manage to flee Germany "beforehand?"
10. Summarize Dr. T.H.'s letter to Levi.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many survivors, Levi included, tell their stories so that the world can learn from their experience. We know that genocide has happened since World War II in different parts of the world. Analyze the extent to which you think hearing survivors' stories helps prevent another atrocity.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the reasons why prisoners were not able to rebel and overthrow an entire lager. Consider living conditions as well as psychological reasons.
Essay Topic 3
Levi states that victims and oppressors are both tormented by memories.
Part 1: Explain the kinds of memories that the victims might have and why these memories are difficult, even forty years after the fact.
Part 2: Explain why and how oppressors tend to hide from memories of their past actions.
This section contains 867 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)