|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Hans Mayer born?
2. In what year was Amery arrested by the Gestapo?
3. From which camp did Mala Zimetbaum try to escape?
4. Which statement is true of the rebellions?
5. Who did the Nazis conduct medical experiments on?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened in the roll call when a prisoner was missing?
2. What did Levi learn through the study of chemistry?
3. Explain why violence is endemic in the Third World.
4. What is Levi's explanation for why Jews did not try to escape?
5. Why is Levi interested in corresponding with H.L., the student from Bavaria?
6. Summarize Dr. T.H.'s letter to Levi.
7. Explain the relationship between Levi and his German publisher and translator.
8. Why does Levi agree with Amery that believers had an easier time in the lager?
9. What is the last stereotype that the author tries to dissuade?
10. Who were counted at roll calls?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely."
1) Discuss this quote in reference to life during the Nazi era for Jews in the ghettos and lagers.
2) Discuss this quote in reference to Nazi officials and SS guards.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the reasons why prisoners were not able to rebel and overthrow an entire lager. Consider living conditions as well as psychological reasons.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Levi's unique relationship with Hety S. How would you characterize this type of relationship?
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)