|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did the Nazis conduct medical experiments on?
2. What does Levi correspond with H.L. about?
3. What does Levi think of the theory that mankind cannot do without conflict?
4. At the end of the book, to what does Levi chalk up the period of Nazi rule?
5. Which of the following was NOT a reason people did not flee beforehand?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the relationship between Levi and his German publisher and translator.
2. What did the women at Birkenau use their bowls for?
3. What happened in the roll call when a prisoner was missing?
4. What does Levi think about Amery's definition of an intellectual?
5. Why does Levi think the Nazis waged a suicidal war?
6. How did Levi feel after he kicked Elias?
7. What is the last stereotype that the author tries to dissuade?
8. Who were counted at roll calls?
9. Explain why violence is endemic in the Third World.
10. Which types of professionals were allowed to practice their trade in the lagers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss some of the main issues regarding communication mentioned in the book. Make sure to touch on communication within the lager as well as the communication of survivors.
Essay Topic 2
Many survivors, Levi included, tell their stories so that the world can learn from their experience. We know that genocide has happened since World War II in different parts of the world. Analyze the extent to which you think hearing survivors' stories helps prevent another atrocity.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the reasons why prisoners were not able to rebel and overthrow an entire lager. Consider living conditions as well as psychological reasons.
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)