|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Elias?
2. Which of the following is NOT something people question survivors about?
3. Dr. T.H. of Hamburg claims what?
4. Who is amazed that Levi's writing is not filled with hatred?
5. What was one aspect in which life in the lager that was a caricature of army life?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize Dr. T.H.'s letter to Levi.
2. List some examples of the violence that stems from World War II.
3. Explain why violence is endemic in the Third World.
4. Why were prisoners ordered to take their valuables with them on their journey to the lager?
5. What is the last stereotype that the author tries to dissuade?
6. Describe the overall feeling of the majority of letters Levi receives.
7. What was special about Mala Zimetbaum?
8. Why does Levi agree with Amery that believers had an easier time in the lager?
9. What is Levi's explanation for why Jews did not try to escape?
10. What does Levi think about Amery's definition of an intellectual?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Levi titles Chapter 5 Useless Violence. Do you think that violence can ever be useful? Use examples from the book and your own life to give a rationale for your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Levi states that victims and oppressors are both tormented by memories.
Part 1: Explain the kinds of memories that the victims might have and why these memories are difficult, even forty years after the fact.
Part 2: Explain why and how oppressors tend to hide from memories of their past actions.
Essay Topic 3
Why are survivors' stories an important part of understanding the Holocaust and World War II. Why might survivors' stories not tell us the complete picture?
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)