|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Levi do when he was tempted to pray?
2. What did train convoys from Italy carry?
3. What saved Levi from the gas chambers?
4. In what year is Survival in Auschwitz first published?
5. How did most Germans feel after Hitler is defeated in the war?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who were counted at roll calls?
2. List some examples of the violence that stems from World War II.
3. Summarize Levi's response to Dr. T.H. of Hamburg.
4. Why does Levi want Survival in Auschwitz to be published in German?
5. Describe the overall feeling of the majority of letters Levi receives.
6. Summarize Dr. T.H.'s letter to Levi.
7. What is Levi's explanation for why Jews did not try to escape?
8. In Chapter 7, Stereotypes, Levi discusses stereotypes in regard to three aspects of survivor behavior. What are they?
9. What happened to intellectuals who did manage to flee Germany "beforehand?"
10. Levi considers the violence perpetrated by the Nazis to have been useless except for one thing. What was it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What would you have done if you were recruited to be a sonderkommando? How do you think you would have handled being in that situation?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the organization of the book, considering how information is divided into chapters. Does the organizational structure work?
Essay Topic 3
Levi states that victims and oppressors are both tormented by memories.
Part 1: Explain the kinds of memories that the victims might have and why these memories are difficult, even forty years after the fact.
Part 2: Explain why and how oppressors tend to hide from memories of their past actions.
This section contains 800 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)