|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Levi, what lessened the perpetrators' guilt?
2. The violence the Nazis inflicted did all of the following except:
3. How did most Germans feel after Hitler is defeated in the war?
4. What does Levi correspond with H.L. about?
5. What does Levi think of the theory that mankind cannot do without conflict?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Levi's explanation for why Jews did not try to escape?
2. What did the roll call drills reinforce in the prisoners?
3. Why does Levi want Survival in Auschwitz to be published in German?
4. In Chapter 7, Stereotypes, Levi discusses stereotypes in regard to three aspects of survivor behavior. What are they?
5. Why does Levi agree with Amery that believers had an easier time in the lager?
6. Who does Levi consider responsible for the horrors of the lagers?
7. Why were prisoners ordered to take their valuables with them on their journey to the lager?
8. How did Levi feel after he kicked Elias?
9. What did the women at Birkenau use their bowls for?
10. What does Levi think about Amery's definition of an intellectual?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the main themes of the book is that those who did not experience the lagers cannot judge anyone for how they acted while they were there. Do you agree or disagree with this? Why? Give examples from the book and your own ideas to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze Levi's situation when he finds the water spigot.
1) Do you agree with the decision he made? Why or why not?
2) What do you think you would have done in the same situation?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the different ways that Levi thinks memories change over time. Include at least three ways that memories change and give an example of each.
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)