|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom did Mala Zimetbaum try to escape?
2. Who did the Nazis conduct medical experiments on?
3. What does Levi consider all SS and all Germans in general to be?
4. Which statement is true of the rebellions?
5. According to Levi, what made young Germans hate Jews?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the roll call drills reinforce in the prisoners?
2. Who were counted at roll calls?
3. Levi considers the violence perpetrated by the Nazis to have been useless except for one thing. What was it?
4. Describe Jean Amery's life before he arrived in Auschwitz.
5. Who does Levi consider responsible for the horrors of the lagers?
6. What happened to intellectuals who did manage to flee Germany "beforehand?"
7. How does Levi explain the stereotype of rebellion?
8. Explain why violence is endemic in the Third World.
9. What happened in the roll call when a prisoner was missing?
10. Which types of professionals were allowed to practice their trade in the lagers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the reasons why prisoners were not able to rebel and overthrow an entire lager. Consider living conditions as well as psychological reasons.
Essay Topic 2
This is a book that has more than one theme. In your mind, what is the main theme of the book? Discuss how it is explored throughout the book.
Essay Topic 3
Levi writes this book hoping to receive letters that help him answer the question of whether or not Germans can be understood. Do you think Levi gets his answer? Do you think Germans can be understood for their role in the Holocaust?
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)