|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which statement is true of the rebellions?
2. Why do survivors find it difficult to speak with younger generations?
3. According to Levi, which of these factors did NOT play a role in the Nazi violence?
4. What is the core of what lager survivors have to say?
5. What did Mala Zimetbaum do that frustrated the Nazis?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Levi feel after he kicked Elias?
2. What is Levi's explanation for why Jews did not try to escape?
3. What happened in the roll call when a prisoner was missing?
4. Summarize Dr. T.H.'s letter to Levi.
5. Why does Levi want Survival in Auschwitz to be published in German?
6. Why does Levi think the Nazis waged a suicidal war?
7. What did Levi learn through the study of chemistry?
8. What happened to intellectuals who did manage to flee Germany "beforehand?"
9. Why is Levi interested in corresponding with H.L., the student from Bavaria?
10. Why do the stories of survivors become less important to passing generations?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
From a Nazi perspective, discuss the reasons why the lagers were a necessary part of the war.
Essay Topic 2
Many survivors, Levi included, tell their stories so that the world can learn from their experience. We know that genocide has happened since World War II in different parts of the world. Analyze the extent to which you think hearing survivors' stories helps prevent another atrocity.
Essay Topic 3
What would you have done if you were recruited to be a sonderkommando? How do you think you would have handled being in that situation?
This section contains 950 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)