|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom did Amery compare the SS in the Ukraine?
2. What does Hety claim about Albert Speer after her interview with him?
3. Which was NOT a reason that people joined the SS?
4. Who was best able to learn the lager's first lesson?
5. How many times did Levi fight back against a fellow prisoner?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why violence is endemic in the Third World.
2. What was special about Mala Zimetbaum?
3. How did Levi feel after he kicked Elias?
4. Why does Levi want Survival in Auschwitz to be published in German?
5. Why were prisoners ordered to take their valuables with them on their journey to the lager?
6. List some examples of the violence that stems from World War II.
7. Why is Levi interested in corresponding with H.L., the student from Bavaria?
8. Why does Levi think the Nazis waged a suicidal war?
9. What did the roll call drills reinforce in the prisoners?
10. Levi considers the violence perpetrated by the Nazis to have been useless except for one thing. What was it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What would you have done if you were recruited to be a sonderkommando? How do you think you would have handled being in that situation?
Essay Topic 2
The lagers were concentration and death camps established by the Nazis so they could have slaves and exterminate the Jews. Why were the Nazis fearful that the rest of the world would learn about the lagers? What did they have to hide when Hitler's rhetoric about riding Germany of Jews was so clear?
Essay Topic 3
Levi writes this book hoping to receive letters that help him answer the question of whether or not Germans can be understood. Do you think Levi gets his answer? Do you think Germans can be understood for their role in the Holocaust?
This section contains 844 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)