|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Germans often coerce prisoners into being collaborators?
2. According to Levi, what creates a "convenient reality?"
3. When was Primo Levi brought to Auschwitz?
4. Who was Hans Biebow in relation to Chaim Rumkowski?
5. Who orated in the style of Hitler?
Short Essay Questions
1. While clearing rubble, Levi finds a spigot with fresh water. Why was this such a big deal?
2. Why do survivors simplify the past by using stark good vs. evil distinctions?
3. According to Levi, which memories seem to be universal?
4. Why did Alberto change his mind about consoling oneself with illusions?
5. What is "willed ignorance?"
6. What did the Nazis hope as the tide of war turned in 1942?
7. Explain the concept of "convenient truth."
8. Comment on Levi's experience with speaking/understanding German in the lager.
9. How do people react to having limited communication?
10. Why did survivors not feel the happiness at liberation that is portrayed in literature and movies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did the treatment of prisoners change over the course of the war? What happened as the Nazis began to suffer defeats on the battlefields?
Essay Topic 2
Levi states that victims and oppressors are both tormented by memories.
Part 1: Explain the kinds of memories that the victims might have and why these memories are difficult, even forty years after the fact.
Part 2: Explain why and how oppressors tend to hide from memories of their past actions.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze Levi's situation when he finds the water spigot.
1) Do you agree with the decision he made? Why or why not?
2) What do you think you would have done in the same situation?
This section contains 799 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)