|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Alberto?
2. How does Levi characterize the shame and guilt that survivors feel?
3. What happened to Levi's tattoo after the war?
4. According to Levi, what creates a "convenient reality?"
5. At what point did Hitler begin denying the truth?
Short Essay Questions
1. Comment on how a prisoner's moral yardstick changed during his internment.
2. Comment on Levi's experience with speaking/understanding German in the lager.
3. Why do survivors simplify the past by using stark good vs. evil distinctions?
4. Briefly describe the life of Chaim Rumkowski.
5. What happeneds to people who become sonderkommandos?
6. According to Levi, why do oppressors suppress memories?
7. Why does Levi argue that survivors should not feel guilt?
8. Why does Levi think prisoners are beyond neuroses?
9. Explain the theory of "incommunicability."
10. What is "willed ignorance?"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze Levi's situation when he finds the water spigot.
1) Do you agree with the decision he made? Why or why not?
2) What do you think you would have done in the same situation?
Essay Topic 2
Levi states that victims and oppressors are both tormented by memories.
Part 1: Explain the kinds of memories that the victims might have and why these memories are difficult, even forty years after the fact.
Part 2: Explain why and how oppressors tend to hide from memories of their past actions.
Essay Topic 3
"Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely."
1) Discuss this quote in reference to life during the Nazi era for Jews in the ghettos and lagers.
2) Discuss this quote in reference to Nazi officials and SS guards.
This section contains 809 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)