|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to Levi's tattoo after the war?
2. What did Louis Darquier de Pellepoix do after he was caught?
3. What does Levi think about oppressors?
4. How did prisoners who speak Yiddish look upon Italian Jews who did not speak it?
5. According to Levi, why can't the "privileged" be objective?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the classic militiamen defense that Eichmann and Hoss used?
2. Comment on how a prisoner's moral yardstick changed during his internment.
3. Why do historians need to study the stories of survivors?
4. Why does Primo Levi write about his experiences?
5. Why did Alberto change his mind about consoling oneself with illusions?
6. According to Levi, which memories seem to be universal?
7. How does Levi shock Germans after the war?
8. Explain the nature of human memory.
9. Briefly describe the Nazi death camp system.
10. How do people react to having limited communication?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the organization of the book, considering how information is divided into chapters. Does the organizational structure work?
Essay Topic 2
Why do the Nazis need or want prisoners in the lagers to be collaborators? Discuss different kinds of collaborators and how they benefited the Nazi agenda.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss some of the main issues regarding communication mentioned in the book. Make sure to touch on communication within the lager as well as the communication of survivors.
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)