|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happened when there was an anomaly in a roll call?
(a) SS and Gestapo combed the camp.
(b) Prisoners were forced to search for the escapee.
(c) SS and Gestapo acted unconcerned.
(d) Prisoners were sent back to the barracks.
2. Which was NOT a reason that people joined the SS?
(a) They were paid very highly.
(b) They wanted a good career.
(c) They were fearful of punishment.
(d) They had been reared badly.
3. According to Levi, which of these factors did NOT play a role in the Nazi violence?
(a) Defense of principle.
(c) Political fanaticism.
(d) Lust for power.
4. How many people were put in each train car arriving from Italy?
5. At which camp is there NO rebellion?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Levi call the daily rituals of the lager?
2. During World War I, which trait characterized the relationship between antagonists?
3. According to Levi, how did Amery go against his nature?
4. Which of the following was NOT a reason people did not flee beforehand?
5. What was one aspect in which life in the lager that was a caricature of army life?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Levi learn through the study of chemistry?
2. What was special about Mala Zimetbaum?
3. What happened in the roll call when a prisoner was missing?
4. Who were counted at roll calls?
5. Explain why violence is endemic in the Third World.
6. What did the women at Birkenau use their bowls for?
7. How did Levi feel after he kicked Elias?
8. In Chapter 7, Stereotypes, Levi discusses stereotypes in regard to three aspects of survivor behavior. What are they?
9. Why does Levi agree with Amery that believers had an easier time in the lager?
10. Describe the overall feeling of the majority of letters Levi receives.
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)