|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What saved Levi from the gas chambers?
(a) His strength as a laborer.
(b) A case of mistaken identity.
(c) A compassionate SS guard.
(d) His training as a chemist.
2. Which characterizes the relationship between Amery and Levi after Liberation?
(a) They never see each other.
(b) They visit each other often.
(c) They travel to Italy together.
(d) They both flee to Belgium.
3. According to Levi, which of the following was NOT a reason that Germans followed Hitler?
(a) National pride.
(b) His military strength.
(c) Mental laziness.
(d) His beautiful words.
4. How did most Germans feel after Hitler is defeated in the war?
5. Why do survivors find it difficult to speak with younger generations?
(a) They feel they have scary stories to tell and don't want to frighten the children.
(b) They don't think the horrors they suffered can happen again, but they want to be respected.
(c) They want to feel relevant to the children and find it hard to relate.
(d) They feel they need to be heard but are scared of not being listened to.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following was NOT a purpose that the lagers serve for the Nazis?
2. According to Levi, why were the sonderkommandos at Birkenau able to stage a rebellion?
3. How many people were put in each train car arriving from Italy?
4. If an escapee was found, what happened?
5. According to Levi, how should problems be solved?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Levi want Survival in Auschwitz to be published in German?
2. Describe the relationship between Amery and Levi after liberation.
3. Summarize Dr. T.H.'s letter to Levi.
4. Which types of professionals were allowed to practice their trade in the lagers?
5. What was special about Mala Zimetbaum?
6. Explain why violence is endemic in the Third World.
7. What is Levi's explanation for why Jews did not try to escape?
8. Why does Levi think the Nazis waged a suicidal war?
9. Why were prisoners ordered to take their valuables with them on their journey to the lager?
10. List some examples of the violence that stems from World War II.
This section contains 870 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)