|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The student from Bavaria, H.L., first writes to Levi in what year?
2. What happened to Germans who were found helping Jews escape?
(a) They were unable to get jobs.
(b) They suffered at the hands of the Gestapo.
(c) They were considered prisoners of war.
(d) They risked being sent to the lagers.
3. What does Levi correspond with H.L. about?
(a) Contemporary Germany.
(b) The future of Germany.
(c) The World War II era.
(d) Nazi policies.
4. The violence the Nazis inflicted did all of the following except:
(a) Create an atmosphere of terror.
(b) Serve a goal.
(c) Cause suffering.
(d) Give some people power.
5. Which characterizes the relationship between Amery and Levi after Liberation?
(a) They never see each other.
(b) They travel to Italy together.
(c) They both flee to Belgium.
(d) They visit each other often.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which is something that prisoners did receive provisions for?
2. During the war, what was used as mattress ticking?
3. Who was particularly offended by being tattooed?
4. Hitler demonstrated that a war fought in the industrial era can be damaging even without _____________.
5. Most of the letters that Levi received were about what topic?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Levi think about Amery's definition of an intellectual?
2. Why were prisoners ordered to take their valuables with them on their journey to the lager?
3. Who does Levi consider responsible for the horrors of the lagers?
4. Describe the overall feeling of the majority of letters Levi receives.
5. Why is Levi interested in corresponding with H.L., the student from Bavaria?
6. List some examples of the violence that stems from World War II.
7. What did the women at Birkenau use their bowls for?
8. What happened to intellectuals who did manage to flee Germany "beforehand?"
9. Summarize Dr. T.H.'s letter to Levi.
10. What is Levi's explanation for why Jews did not try to escape?
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)