|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Nazi commanders protect the consciousness of people they assign to do dirty work?
(a) They provided psychological counseling.
(b) They promised that they will go to heaven.
(c) They rewarded them with prizes.
(d) They plied them with alcohol.
2. How did most prisoners arrive at Auschwitz?
(a) On foot.
(b) By train.
(c) By bus.
(d) By car.
3. Levi's knowledge of the German language was __________ in Auschwitz.
4. According to Levi, what can cause victims' memories to drift?
5. What were Kapos?
(a) Recent arrivals to the lagers.
(b) German guards with a low rank.
(c) Translators for the Germans.
(d) Chiefs of squads or barracks.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to Levi's tattoo after the war?
2. How did Germans often coerce prisoners into being collaborators?
3. Where did the SS recruit Sonderkommandos?
4. At what point did Hitler begin denying the truth?
5. Why did Levi know some German?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Levi think of the theory of "incommunicability"?
2. Explain the theory of "incommunicability."
3. Comment on how a prisoner's moral yardstick changed during his internment.
4. Why does Primo Levi write about his experiences?
5. Why do survivors simplify the past by using stark good vs. evil distinctions?
6. How does a totalitarian state control its citizens?
7. According to Levi, why do oppressors suppress memories?
8. What was the classic militiamen defense that Eichmann and Hoss used?
9. What does Levi consider to be his mission and why?
10. What did the Nazis hope as the tide of war turned in 1942?
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)