|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was Chaim Rumkowski?
(a) A German officer.
(b) A sonderkommando.
(c) President of the Warsaw Ghetto.
(d) President of the Lodz Ghetto.
2. According to Levi, when do survivors experience angst?
(a) When they hear other Germans' stories.
(b) When they tell their stories to their families.
(c) When they communicate too much.
(d) When they refuse to communicate.
3. What did Levi choose to do with the object he finds?
(a) Share with the whole squad.
(b) Share with Alberto.
(c) Hide it again.
(d) Keep it for himself.
4. What did Louis Darquier de Pellepoix do after he was caught?
(a) He admitted all of the crimes that he committed during the war.
(b) He blamed the authoritative nature of the Nazi party.
(c) He denied his part in deportations and gas chambers.
(d) He blamed Eichmann and Hoss for his crimes.
5. After liberation, why did survivors feel diminished as human beings?
(a) They witnessed great horrors.
(b) They were guilty of the charges against them.
(c) They saw their families die.
(d) They lived at an animal level.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Levi feel he is able to write on behalf of survivors?
2. What was Hitler at the time of his death?
3. How did Germans often coerce prisoners into being collaborators?
4. What were Kapos?
5. What nationality is Primo Levi?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does a totalitarian state control its citizens?
2. Why were political prisoners envied?
3. What is "willed ignorance?"
4. How do people react to having limited communication?
5. Why did survivors not feel the happiness at liberation that is portrayed in literature and movies?
6. Comment on how a prisoner's moral yardstick changed during his internment.
7. Why did Alberto change his mind about consoling oneself with illusions?
8. What is Primo Levi's theory about judging any people associated with the lagers?
9. What was the classic militiamen defense that Eichmann and Hoss used?
10. Why does Levi argue that survivors should not feel guilt?
This section contains 815 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)