|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Auschwitz was located in which country?
(a) Occupied Poland.
(c) Occupied France.
2. Why did Levi's Kapo disappear?
(a) He collaborated with the Nazis.
(b) He escaped the camp.
(c) A prisoner switched his number on a list.
(d) A prisoner assigned him to another barracks.
3. According to Levi, what happened to prisoners who know no German?
(a) They were kept unaware of the horrors around them.
(b) They escaped into a world of silence.
(c) They had an especially hard time in the lager.
(d) They had translators who helped them.
4. After his return, what did Levi's religious friend think?
(a) Levi should leave Europe.
(b) Levi's survival was an act of God.
(c) Levi's survival was due to luck.
(d) Levi survived because of his selfishness.
5. The Nazi party was elected to power in which country?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following was NOT a common justification that Nazis used when confessing?
2. What did Chaim Rumkowski consider himself to be?
3. According to Levi, why can't the "privileged" be objective?
4. Why did Levi know some German?
5. From where did Monowitz receive new prisoners?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Levi think prisoners are beyond neuroses?
2. Levi often characterizes survivors as being privileged. What does he mean by this?
3. What does Levi think of the theory of "incommunicability"?
4. How does Levi shock Germans after the war?
5. What is "willed ignorance?"
6. What does Levi consider to be the extreme case of collaboration?
7. According to Levi, why do oppressors suppress memories?
8. Explain the nature of human memory.
9. Why were political prisoners envied?
10. How do people react to having limited communication?
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)