|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Hitler demonstrated that a war fought in the industrial era can be damaging even without _____________.
(a) World wide support.
(b) A strong alliance.
(c) Nuclear weapons.
(d) A dedicated army.
2. Who became Jean Amery?
(a) Hans Biebow
(b) Hans Mayer.
3. According to Levi, what made young Germans hate Jews?
(a) Nazi authority.
(b) Nazi propaganda.
4. Who is amazed that Levi's writing is not filled with hatred?
(a) M.S. from Frankfurt.
(b) I.J. from Stuttgard.
(c) W.A. from Wurtemberg.
(d) Dr. T.H. of Hamburg.
5. Which group of people was most prone to try escaping?
(b) Long-term prisoners.
(d) Political prisoners.
6. According to Levi, why were the sonderkommandos at Birkenau able to stage a rebellion?
(a) They had efficient leaders.
(b) They were well fed.
(c) They had time to plan.
(d) They understood their oppressors.
7. What does Levi call the daily rituals of the lager?
(a) "An offense to modesty."
(b) "A struggle for cleanliness."
(c) "A rhythm of suffering."
(d) "A subversion of dignity."
8. According to Levi, what lessened the perpetrators' guilt?
(a) Offering compassion.
(b) Degrading the victims.
(c) Feeling invincible.
(d) Pitying the prisoners.
9. How did most Germans feel after Hitler is defeated in the war?
10. Why does H.L. detest herself?
(a) She loves her country.
(b) She does not feel shame for her peoples' actions.
(c) She loves her mother despite her actions.
(d) She sees the German type in her personality.
11. How many times did Levi fight back against a fellow prisoner?
(a) Numerous times.
(b) Three times.
12. During the early part of the 1960s, about how many letters did Levi receive?
13. What happened to Germans who were found helping Jews escape?
(a) They were unable to get jobs.
(b) They risked being sent to the lagers.
(c) They were considered prisoners of war.
(d) They suffered at the hands of the Gestapo.
14. About what did prisoners speculate?
(a) What type of person was most heroic.
(b) What type of death would be least painful.
(c) When Hitler would die.
(d) The date of liberation.
15. Most of the letters that Levi received were about what topic?
(a) Political theories about the rise of the Nazi party.
(b) Whether or not Germans should be blamed.
(c) Personal experiences in the lagers.
(d) Whether or not Germans can be understood.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do young people refer to the SS?
2. Who does Amery think survive in higher numbers?
3. What does Levi consider all SS and all Germans in general to be?
4. During World War I, which trait characterized the relationship between antagonists?
5. Why does Levi want Survival in Auschwitz to be published in German?
This section contains 472 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)