|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With whom did Mala Zimetbaum try to escape?
(c) An Italian Jew.
2. What happened to corpses?
(a) They were turned into industrial products.
(b) They were allowed to decompose.
(c) They were returned to family members.
(d) They were given a proper burial.
3. Dr. T.H. of Hamburg claims what?
(a) The Devil people are friendly to Jews.
(b) Hitler betrayed the Germans.
(c) The German people are guilty.
(d) Hitler is more evil than Stalin.
4. Which of the following was NOT a reason people did not flee beforehand?
(a) They did not believe Hitler's message.
(b) They were fearful of leaving the fatherland.
(c) Immigration quotas were reduced.
(d) Emigration was expensive.
5. How many times does Levi meet Hety S. of Wiesbaden?
6. Which of the following is NOT something people question survivors about?
(c) Accepting the injustice of the situation.
(d) Avoiding capture in the first place.
7. Who does Amery think survive in higher numbers?
(b) Political prisoners.
8. What saved Levi from the gas chambers?
(a) A compassionate SS guard.
(b) His strength as a laborer.
(c) A case of mistaken identity.
(d) His training as a chemist.
9. How many people were put in each train car arriving from Italy?
10. What do Amery and Levi agree about cultivated people?
(a) They made friends with other prisoners more easily.
(b) They had an easier time learning German.
(c) They had a harder time at manual labor.
(d) They adjusted to life in the lager more quickly.
11. What does Levi think is the stereotype of the SS?
(b) Average humans.
(c) Good people.
(d) Power hungry.
12. According to Levi, how should problems be solved?
(a) Through discussion.
(b) By a mix of talk and action.
(c) By a mediator.
(d) Through violence.
13. To whom did Amery compare the SS in the Ukraine?
(a) The Germans in Poland.
(b) The Athenians in Melos.
(c) The slaves along the Appian Way.
(d) The Italians in Auschwitz.
14. Who was best able to learn the lager's first lesson?
(a) Jean Amery and Primo Levi.
(b) The intellectuals.
(c) The uncultivated.
15. Which was NOT a reason that people joined the SS?
(a) They had been reared badly.
(b) They were fearful of punishment.
(c) They wanted a good career.
(d) They were paid very highly.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Levi, what is the legacy of Nazi ideology?
2. What is the core of what lager survivors have to say?
3. Which group of people was most prone to try escaping?
4. What does Levi think of the theory that mankind cannot do without conflict?
5. What does Levi call the daily rituals of the lager?
This section contains 474 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)