|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Levi, which of the following is NOT a reason survivors tell their stories?
(a) To achieve a sense of relief.
(b) They want to make others feel bad.
(c) To bear witness.
(d) Others want to hear their stories.
2. Which is something that prisoners did receive provisions for?
3. The violence the Nazis inflicted did all of the following except:
(a) Give some people power.
(b) Serve a goal.
(c) Cause suffering.
(d) Create an atmosphere of terror.
4. According to Levi, how did Amery go against his nature?
(a) He did manual labor.
(b) He returned Levi's blow.
(c) He made his bed.
(d) He hit a Polish criminal.
5. When was Levi tempted to pray?
(a) Arriving at Auschwitz.
(b) At liberation.
(c) Standing before the Commission.
(d) Every morning upon waking.
6. What did Levi do when he was tempted to pray?
(a) He cried.
(b) He prayed.
(c) He became a believer.
(d) He refused to blaspheme.
7. Why do survivors find it difficult to speak with younger generations?
(a) They don't think the horrors they suffered can happen again, but they want to be respected.
(b) They feel they have scary stories to tell and don't want to frighten the children.
(c) They want to feel relevant to the children and find it hard to relate.
(d) They feel they need to be heard but are scared of not being listened to.
8. What do Amery and Levi agree about cultivated people?
(a) They adjusted to life in the lager more quickly.
(b) They made friends with other prisoners more easily.
(c) They had an easier time learning German.
(d) They had a harder time at manual labor.
9. During World War I, which trait characterized the relationship between antagonists?
(b) Mutual respect.
(d) Mutual admiration.
10. What daily ritual was emblematic of life in the lager?
(c) Eye exams.
(d) Roll call.
11. Which statement is true of the rebellions?
(a) They forced the closing of some smaller camps.
(b) They did not succeed in liberating a camp.
(c) They did not result in punishment.
(d) They carried news to the outside world.
12. Why does Levi want Survival in Auschwitz to be published in German?
(a) To get back at the Nazis for making him less of an intellectual.
(b) To understand why the masses do not stop the Nazis.
(c) To seek revenge against those who oppressed him.
(d) To pay tribute to the few Germans who did help Jews.
13. Who was best able to learn the lager's first lesson?
(b) Jean Amery and Primo Levi.
(c) The uncultivated.
(d) The intellectuals.
14. Which group of people was most prone to try escaping?
(a) Political prisoners.
(b) Long-term prisoners.
15. In what year is Survival in Auschwitz first published?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Levi think about the experiences of lager survivors?
2. What does Levi think of the theory that mankind cannot do without conflict?
3. According to H.L., what are young Germans tired of feeling?
4. What did Mala Zimetbaum do that frustrated the Nazis?
5. What does Levi consider all SS and all Germans in general to be?
This section contains 557 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)