|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Nazi commanders protect the consciousness of people they assign to do dirty work?
(a) They provided psychological counseling.
(b) They plied them with alcohol.
(c) They promised that they will go to heaven.
(d) They rewarded them with prizes.
2. When did Levi's friend Alberto stop being critical of those who consoled themselves with illusions?
(a) After his father was sent to the gas chamber.
(b) After his decision that is a healthier frame of mind.
(c) After Levi persuaded him to change his mind.
(d) After his liberation from Auschwitz.
3. At what point did Hitler begin denying the truth?
(a) After the invasion of Poland.
(b) After Stalingrad.
(c) During liberation of the lagers.
(d) After the invasion of France.
4. According to Levi, who is trapped by memories?
(a) Only survivors.
(b) High level Nazi officials.
(c) Only oppressors.
(d) Survivors and oppressors.
5. What were the Sonderkommandos taught?
(a) That fellow Jews are subhuman.
(b) That they are privileged.
(c) To treat fellow Jews with respect.
(d) To believe the German propaganda.
6. Which of the following was NOT a common justification that Nazis used when confessing?
(a) Believing in Hitler's ideas.
(b) Living in an environment of fear.
(c) Following the orders of a superior.
(d) Being brought up in a racist environment.
7. What does survival depend upon?
(a) Helping others.
(b) Feeling heroic.
(c) Putting oneself first.
(d) Collaborating with the SS.
8. According to Levi, which statement best describes the Lagers?
(a) The lagers were something that has occured in many wars.
(b) The lagers were the most horrible atrocity from any war ever.
(c) The lagers were a unique experience central to World War II.
(d) The lagers were an inventive way for Germany to produce war time supplies.
9. What does Levi think it is his mission to do?
(a) Return to being a scientist.
(b) Tell his story orally.
(c) Bear witness by writing.
(d) Lead a positive life.
10. Monowitz was part of which camp?
11. Who tells criminals to claim "I don't remember?"
(a) They claim it on their own.
(b) Defense lawyers.
(d) Victims' families.
12. According to Levi, what can cause victims' memories to drift?
13. When Levi's squad was clearing rubble, what did he find?
(a) New shoes.
(b) A gold bracelet.
(c) A heel of bread.
(d) Fresh water.
14. Why should survivors' stories be read critically?
(a) Survivors like to tell lies about their experiences.
(b) Survivors have a bad grasp of the German language.
(c) Each story tells the same information about the war.
(d) Each story is individual and lacks overall perspective.
15. What does Levi think most survivors feel at Liberation?
(a) Unconditional happiness.
(b) Unexplicable anger.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Levi feel he is able to write on behalf of survivors?
2. What happened to Levi's tattoo after the war?
3. Which is the best description of Chaim Rumkowski?
4. Who was Chaim Rumkowski?
5. What was Auschwitz-Monowitz?
This section contains 546 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)