|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who orated in the style of Hitler?
(a) Primo Levi.
(c) Chaim Rumkowski.
2. Who confronts Levi after liberation?
(b) His kapo.
(c) The SS.
3. What language does Levi speak after the war?
(d) Lager German.
4. What did the other prisoners think about the Sonderkommandos?
(a) They wondered what it must be like to be debased.
(b) They deplored them for working for the oppressors.
(c) They thought they were courageous for doing the dirty work.
(d) They admired their strength of character.
5. According to Levi, what creates a "convenient reality?"
(a) Substituting less painful memories for horrific acts.
(b) Telling outright lies about one's behavior.
(c) Focusing on only the positive memories.
(d) Merging one's story with the stories of other survivors.
6. What nationality is Primo Levi?
7. According to Levi, when do survivors experience angst?
(a) When they refuse to communicate.
(b) When they tell their stories to their families.
(c) When they hear other Germans' stories.
(d) When they communicate too much.
8. What is Primo Levi's profession?
9. What did Levi use to pay for German lessons?
(a) His blanket.
(b) His bread ration.
(c) His soup ration.
(d) His shoes.
10. What was the place of the Sonderkommandos within the Lager?
(a) They shared barracks with other prisoners.
(b) They were kept segregated.
(c) They moved about freely.
(d) They only ate with other prisoners.
11. Which of the following is NOT a reason survivors feel guilty?
(a) They failed to help others.
(b) They failed to resist.
(c) They did not do enough to oppose the system.
(d) They should have tried harder to escape into the forest.
12. Who tells criminals to claim "I don't remember?"
(a) Defense lawyers.
(b) Victims' families.
(d) They claim it on their own.
13. According to Levi, which statement best describes the Lagers?
(a) The lagers were an inventive way for Germany to produce war time supplies.
(b) The lagers were the most horrible atrocity from any war ever.
(c) The lagers were something that has occured in many wars.
(d) The lagers were a unique experience central to World War II.
14. Levi discussed the issue of memory through the character of Count Ugolino by which author?
15. Levi's knowledge of the German language was __________ in Auschwitz.
Short Answer Questions
1. What predominant emotion did survivors feel at Liberation as depicted in literature and in the movies?
2. Why did Levi's Kapo disappear?
3. Who was Hans Biebow in relation to Chaim Rumkowski?
4. After his return, what did Levi's religious friend think?
5. How did Nazi commanders protect the consciousness of people they assign to do dirty work?
This section contains 497 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)