|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was Hans Biebow in relation to Chaim Rumkowski?
(a) His superior officer.
(b) His best friend.
(c) His trading partner.
(d) His bunkmate.
2. According to Levi, what can cause victims' memories to drift?
3. Who orated in the style of Hitler?
(a) Chaim Rumkowski.
(c) Primo Levi.
4. According to Levi, who is trapped by memories?
(a) Only oppressors.
(b) High level Nazi officials.
(c) Only survivors.
(d) Survivors and oppressors.
5. The Nazi party was elected to power in which country?
6. What predominant emotion did survivors feel at Liberation as depicted in literature and in the movies?
7. What was the camp's second language?
8. When did Levi's friend Alberto stop being critical of those who consoled themselves with illusions?
(a) After Levi persuaded him to change his mind.
(b) After his liberation from Auschwitz.
(c) After his decision that is a healthier frame of mind.
(d) After his father was sent to the gas chamber.
9. How did most prisoners arrive at Auschwitz?
(a) By car.
(b) By train.
(c) On foot.
(d) By bus.
10. Why did Levi's Kapo disappear?
(a) A prisoner switched his number on a list.
(b) He collaborated with the Nazis.
(c) He escaped the camp.
(d) A prisoner assigned him to another barracks.
11. Why should survivors' stories be read critically?
(a) Survivors like to tell lies about their experiences.
(b) Each story is individual and lacks overall perspective.
(c) Survivors have a bad grasp of the German language.
(d) Each story tells the same information about the war.
12. After his return, what did Levi's religious friend think?
(a) Levi's survival was an act of God.
(b) Levi's survival was due to luck.
(c) Levi should leave Europe.
(d) Levi survived because of his selfishness.
13. Why does Levi feel he is able to write on behalf of survivors?
(a) He was given their consent.
(b) He is good at psychoanalysis.
(c) He has overall perspective.
(d) He saw death close up.
14. Who was Chaim Rumkowski?
(a) A German officer.
(b) President of the Warsaw Ghetto.
(c) President of the Lodz Ghetto.
(d) A sonderkommando.
15. Who does Levi think is in the gray zone for ordering an underling to kill someone?
(a) Hans Biebow.
(c) Chaim Rumkowski.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Levi think most survivors feel at Liberation?
2. What were the Sonderkommandos taught?
3. Who confronts Levi after liberation?
4. According to Levi, who may judge collaborators?
5. From where did Monowitz receive new prisoners?
This section contains 429 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)