|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Levi, what did survivors feel about their newly re-acquired freedom?
2. What does Levi think of the theory of incommunicability?
(a) That it is partially true.
(b) That it offers hope for survivors.
(c) That it is false.
(d) That it is true.
3. Levi discussed the issue of memory through the character of Count Ugolino by which author?
4. Who was Chaim Rumkowski?
(a) A sonderkommando.
(b) President of the Lodz Ghetto.
(c) A German officer.
(d) President of the Warsaw Ghetto.
5. What nationality is Primo Levi?
6. What did Levi choose to do with the object he finds?
(a) Share with Alberto.
(b) Keep it for himself.
(c) Share with the whole squad.
(d) Hide it again.
7. What did Chaim Rumkowski consider himself to be?
(a) A rabbi.
(b) The doctor.
(c) The messiah.
(d) A businessman.
8. What does Levi believe about judging the Sonderkommandos?
(a) He feels judgment must be suspended.
(b) He feels judgment must be handed down by the courts.
(c) He feels they should be judged leniently.
(d) He feels they should be judged harshly.
9. According to Levi, what happens when a story is often retold?
(a) It can be adorned.
(b) It will become boring.
(c) It is a universal truth.
(d) It becomes set in stone.
10. When Levi's squad was clearing rubble, what did he find?
(a) A gold bracelet.
(b) New shoes.
(c) A heel of bread.
(d) Fresh water.
11. How did prisoners who speak Yiddish look upon Italian Jews who did not speak it?
(a) With fear.
(b) As traitors.
(c) As non-Jews.
(d) With suspicion.
12. What predominant emotion did survivors feel at Liberation as depicted in literature and in the movies?
13. What was the place of the Sonderkommandos within the Lager?
(a) They shared barracks with other prisoners.
(b) They only ate with other prisoners.
(c) They moved about freely.
(d) They were kept segregated.
14. Who confronts Levi after liberation?
(a) The SS.
(c) His kapo.
15. What function did ghettos serve?
(a) They gave Jews a safe place to live.
(b) They assisted people in learning new languages.
(c) They kept offensive books away from people.
(d) They cut off communication between people.
Short Answer Questions
1. When people first heard of Nazi death camps, what was the reaction?
2. After the war, what was a major source of reconstructing what happened?
3. Which of the following did Levi think is the worst crime of the Nazis?
4. How often did Monowitz receive new prisoners?
5. With which statement about Eichmann and Hoss would Levi agree?
This section contains 473 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)