|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2, The Gray Zone.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Germans need collaborators?
(a) They liked to give others some power.
(b) There were not enough Germans to keep order.
(c) They wanted to feel liked.
(d) They liked to give orders.
2. According to Levi, who may judge collaborators?
(a) Those who did not become collaborators.
(b) Other collaborators.
3. Why does Levi feel the Germans suffered "willed ignorance" about the camps?
(a) They knew that liberation would be coming soon.
(b) They were happy to be getting supplies during war time.
(c) Slave labor was an entrenched part of German society.
(d) The prisoners in the camps were all hardened criminals.
4. When was Primo Levi brought to Auschwitz?
(a) In the middle of the war.
(b) Near the end of the war.
(c) Before Germany invaded Italy.
(d) In the first months of the war.
5. What did Chaim Rumkowski consider himself to be?
(a) A rabbi.
(b) A businessman.
(c) The doctor.
(d) The messiah.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the war, what was a major source of reconstructing what happened?
2. What did Louis Darquier de Pellepoix do after he was caught?
3. Levi discussed the issue of memory through the character of Count Ugolino by which author?
4. What happens to Alberto?
5. Which subset of prisoners does Levi think make the best observers?
This section contains 275 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)