|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5, Useless Violence.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the other prisoners think about the Sonderkommandos?
(a) They wondered what it must be like to be debased.
(b) They deplored them for working for the oppressors.
(c) They thought they were courageous for doing the dirty work.
(d) They admired their strength of character.
2. How does Levi characterize the shame and guilt that survivors feel?
(a) Absurd but real.
(b) Funny and sympathetic.
(c) Imaginary but heavy.
(d) Serious and debilitating.
3. How did Germans often coerce prisoners into being collaborators?
(a) By appealing to their love of power.
(b) By giving them more soup.
(c) By giving them new shoes.
(d) By ordering them at gunpoint.
4. What did train convoys from Italy carry?
(a) More passengers than from Eastern Europe.
(b) Supplies in addition to passengers.
(c) Wealthy passengers with lots of luggage.
(d) Fewer passengers than from Eastern Europe.
5. According to Levi, why did prisoners not commit suicide?
(a) Religious people think suicide is an affront to God.
(b) The prisoners were hopeful that they would be freed any day.
(c) Their whole existence wa wrapped up in survival.
(d) There were no means by which to do so in the lager.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was one aspect in which life in the lager that was a caricature of army life?
2. With which statement about Eichmann and Hoss would Levi agree?
3. During the war, what was used as mattress ticking?
4. The violence the Nazis inflicted did all of the following except:
5. The Third Reich did all of the following to stay in power except:
This section contains 311 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)