|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the jury react to Don Wyatt pulling out the skull and bones?
2. Why is Don Wyatt angry at Tricia Wolf in Chapter 11?
3. According to Jim Moyer, what is carved into the belt of the man who looks much more familiar than Fontenot?
4. On Day 9 of the Haraway case, who testifies that she had cut Tommy's hair very short on April 20th?
5. All of the following are members of the defense team, EXCEPT which person?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the reaction of spectators at the trial after listening to Tommy Ward's taped statement as related at the end of Chapter 14.
2. According to Judge Powers in Chapter 18, what is the most critical legal question concerning the Ward / Fontenot trial?
3. According to the narrator in Chapter 17, why is Steve Haraway unable to watch the trial?
4. In Chapter 11, why does Charlene send Tricia Wolf two letters in August?
5. Discuss the atmosphere developing on both sides of the Haraway case as detailed at the beginning of Chapter 11.
6. Under cross- examination, Gary Rogers says that he had made three phone calls to Ada while questioning Tommy Ward. What person did Rogers call? Why did he call the person three times? ?
7. Explain the testimony Don Wyatt would like to elicit from Joel Ward on Day 9 of the trial.
8. Describe Tommy Ward's unusual experience on June 20th as depicted in Chapter 10.
9. According to the medical examiner in Chapter 19, what happened to Denice Haraway?
10. Describe the dream Tommy Ward had in prison at the end of Chapter 19.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the nature of the perception of reality and dreams as seen in The Dreams of Ada.
Essay Topic 2
Why do both Tommy Ward and Karl Fontenot confess to the murder of Denice Haraway? How do these confessions impact Ward's and Fontenot's futures, including their credibility or reliability?
Essay Topic 3
Explain how the disappearance in Chapter 1 reflects the central conflict in the novel and the difficulties that lie ahead.
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)