|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. All of the following are requested by the jury, EXCEPT which item?
2. Initially, which potential juror does not want to be on the Haraway case?
3. At the end of Day 5 of the trial, who states, "I'm afraid of Lurch!"?
4. What object hangs useless and dead like a mute symbol, signifying nothing in the courtroom?
5. Tommy Ward's confession tape is admitted into evidence as state exhibit number __________.
Short Essay Questions
1. According to the narrator in Chapter 17, why is Steve Haraway unable to watch the trial?
2. According to the medical examiner in Chapter 19, what happened to Denice Haraway?
3. How does George Butner feel after playing both Tommy Ward and Karl Fontenot's confession tapes to the court in Chapter 16? Explain why he feels this way.
4. Discuss the atmosphere developing on both sides of the Haraway case as detailed at the beginning of Chapter 11.
5. According to Judge Powers in Chapter 18, what is the most critical legal question concerning the Ward / Fontenot trial?
6. In Chapter 10, why does Don Wyatt want "to keep the pot boiling" all summer before the trial begins?
7. Why is the kidnapping of 29-year-old Linda Thompson important to the Denice Haraway case?
8. Describe the opinion the attorneys have of Bud Wolf as described at the beginning of Chapter 13.
9. Describe the procedure used in selecting the jury in the Haraway case as detailed by Judge Donald Powers in Chapter 12.
10. Describe the reaction of spectators at the trial after listening to Tommy Ward's taped statement as related at the end of Chapter 14.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was author Robert Mayer's purpose in writing The Dreams of Ada? Was it to inform, entertain, or persuade the reader? In your opinion, does author Robert Mayer make an effort to seem completely unbiased? Or do you believe he is trying to promote a certain position in the story? Use at least three examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of obsession as related in Chapter 4 of The Dreams of Ada. Who was obsessed? What where they obsessed with? How did this obsession affect the Haraway murder case?
Essay Topic 3
Authors sometime highlight the values of a society by using characters who are alienated from the society because of gender, race, class, or creed. Choose a character from the novel who plays a significant role and show how that character's alienation reveals the surrounding society's assumptions or moral values.
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)