|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the narrator in Chapter 2, about every ________ there is a murder in Ada.
2. According to Jannette Roberts, after returning home from the police station, Tommy Ward's attitude was one of __________.
3. What was Ada once a haven for in its wild west days?
4. What is the prescribed method of execution in the state of Oklahoma?
5. What does Bud Wolf bring to Tommy Ward before Ward leaves for Eastern State Hospital?
Short Essay Questions
1. What two things are District Attorney Bill Peterson trying to establish through the four young witnesses who are a part of Ada's "running crowd"?
2. Why do many residents in Ada have police scanners in their homes?
3. What alibi does Tommy Ward give to police in Chapter 2 about his whereabouts the night Denice Haraway went missing?
4. Discuss the spectators who watch the trials going on in the courthouse, as described by the narrator in Chapter 7.
5. Describe Lenny Timmons' testimony about the night Denice Haraway went missing.
6. In Chapter 4, how does Tricia Ward's father react when she tells him her brother Jimmy was smoking marijuana?
7. In Chapter 8, how does Bud Wolf feel after he begins to recall the times that he and Tommy Ward had shared?
8. How is the Haraway case different from both the Rawlings' and the Brown's cases?
9. Why are both Ward and Fontenot admitted to Eastern State Hospital?
10. What six courses of action does Don Wyatt outline for Richard Kerner to pursue in Chapter 8?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the issue of justice and its role in society as related in The Dreams of Ada.
Essay Topic 2
There are times when one's past gets held against them. Discuss how both Tommy Ward's and Karl Fontenot's ugly pasts get held against them in the Denice Haraway case.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the controversy over the composite sketches in the Denice Haraway murder case. How useful or reliable are composite sketches? Should composite sketches be used as evidence against a suspect? Explain.
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)