|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Karl Fontenot, where does he work in Chapter 2?
2. In what County Jail is Ward incarcerated?
3. Who writes, "I had a dream that I was at a keg party, then poof I was sitting in a pickup with two guys and a girl"?
4. According to the narrator in Chapter 2, who were the first white settlers in Ada?
5. According to the narrator, how long have Steve and Denice Haraway been married?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Jannette Roberts, where are Tommy Ward and Karl Fontenot residing?
2. Why does Tricia Wolf punch Bud Wolf in the shoulder while reading the newspaper at the end of Chapter 5?
3. Why does Barney Ward not want to represent Tommy Ward in Chapter 5?
4. Discuss the major evidence collected in the Rawlings' case as described by the narrator in Chapter 6.
5. What two important items does the manager of McAnally's convenience store clean up at the end of Chapter 1? Why are these items important to the disappearance of Denice Haraway?
6. What does Richard Kerner say is his reason for always wearing a business suit in Chapter 9?
7. Why is Odell Titsworth dismissed as a suspect in Chapter 4?
8. What alibi does Tommy Ward give to police in Chapter 2 about his whereabouts the night Denice Haraway went missing?
9. Why are there no spectators at the March hearing of the State of Oklahoma versus Ward / Fontenot?
10. Describe the first degree charges filed against Tommy Ward and Karl Fontenot in Chapter 5.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the author of The Dreams of Ada draw a parallel between the Denice Haraway murder and the Linda Thompson murder. Cite specific references from the text.
Essay Topic 2
If you were a criminal attorney, explain why you would or would not represent Tommy Ward in the Haraway murder trial.
Essay Topic 3
What was author Robert Mayer's purpose in writing The Dreams of Ada? Was it to inform, entertain, or persuade the reader? In your opinion, does author Robert Mayer make an effort to seem completely unbiased? Or do you believe he is trying to promote a certain position in the story? Use at least three examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 753 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)