|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to a story in the Ada News, how much does Denice Haraway weigh?
2. In smaller towns, the right-to-counsel for the poor is granted through whom?
3. When is the Karl Fontenot and Tommy Ward trial held?
4. Where is Marie Titsworth when her daughter's truck is impounded?
5. Richard Kerner draws a connection to the Ada case in __________ County.
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the spectators who watch the trials going on in the courthouse, as described by the narrator in Chapter 7.
2. Describe the first degree charges filed against Tommy Ward and Karl Fontenot in Chapter 5.
3. Describe the dream Arlene Cameron has in Chapter 5.
4. Why do detectives dismiss Tommy Ward as a potential suspect in the disappearance of Denice Haraway in Chapter 2?
5. Why are there no spectators at the March hearing of the State of Oklahoma versus Ward / Fontenot?
6. According to Jannette Roberts, where are Tommy Ward and Karl Fontenot residing?
7. In Chapter 4, how does Tricia Ward's father react when she tells him her brother Jimmy was smoking marijuana?
8. Describe the journey made on April 28, 1909, that was proves to be vitally important to those involved in the Haraway case.
9. What two important items does the manager of McAnally's convenience store clean up at the end of Chapter 1? Why are these items important to the disappearance of Denice Haraway?
10. According to the narrator, what was the turning point in the Ward family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
By researching the jury selecting process of the Oklahoma State Justice Department in today's society, write an essay comparing and contrasting the jury selection of today's society to that of the jury selection of the Haraway murder case. Justify your answer by using specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
How does the author of The Dreams of Ada draw a parallel between the Denice Haraway murder and the Linda Thompson murder. Cite specific references from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Authors sometime highlight the values of a society by using characters who are alienated from the society because of gender, race, class, or creed. Choose a character from the novel who plays a significant role and show how that character's alienation reveals the surrounding society's assumptions or moral values.
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)