|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose favorite expression is "listen to me, runnin' my mouth ninety-to-nothin'" ?
2. How does Detective Captain Dennis Smith supplement his income?
3. What do the bright yellow ribbons placed around a tree near the burned down house represent?
4. In smaller towns, the right-to-counsel for the poor is granted through whom?
5. After Bud Wolf shoots a snake, what animal crawls out of its mouth?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Odell Titsworth dismissed as a suspect in Chapter 4?
2. In Chapter 4, how does Tricia Ward's father react when she tells him her brother Jimmy was smoking marijuana?
3. What information does Jeff Miller give to Detective Dennis Smith at the beginning of Chapter 3?
4. Why do many residents in Ada have police scanners in their homes?
5. According to the narrator, what was the turning point in the Ward family?
6. Why is Detective Dennis Smith's theory about Denice Haraway being dumped into a manhole dismissed by the sewer department?
7. Describe Lenny Timmons' testimony about the night Denice Haraway went missing.
8. Describe the character of Jannette Roberts. Why are detectives interested in speaking with her in Chapter 3?
9. According to Jannette Roberts, where are Tommy Ward and Karl Fontenot residing?
10. Describe the first degree charges filed against Tommy Ward and Karl Fontenot in Chapter 5.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the author of The Dreams of Ada draw a parallel between the Denice Haraway murder and the Linda Thompson murder. Cite specific references from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the mistakes of the Ada police department in the Denice Haraway case. How could these mistakes have been avoided? How did these mistakes destroy the future of both Tommy Ward and Karl Fontenot?
Essay Topic 3
There are times when one's past gets held against them. Discuss how both Tommy Ward's and Karl Fontenot's ugly pasts get held against them in the Denice Haraway case.
This section contains 809 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)