|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does District Attorney Peterson's father die?
(a) He is murdered.
(b) A tree falls on him.
(c) He dies of natural causes.
(d) He dies of cancer.
2. Mr. and Mrs. McAnally originally offer a __________ reward for any information regarding the whereabouts of Denice Haraway.
3. How much money do Joel and Miz Ward try to get from a finance agency?
4. What 1983 "no-body" case turned up in Oklahoma law?
5. Which of the two defendants, Ward and Fontenot, does Karen Wise positively identify in Chapter 7?
(a) Karl Fontenot.
(b) Neither Ward nor Fontenot.
(c) Tommy Ward.
(d) Both Ward and Fontenot.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the small, dark, gentle Indian woman who makes a living cleaning houses for people in Ada?
2. Of all the Ward children, who is considered the most ambitious?
3. Of all the Ward children, who is called the "runt of the litter"?
4. In Chapter 1, what is Steve Haraway doing when he receives notice that his wife is missing?
5. Who is questioned by District Attorney Peterson about a blouse given to Denice Haraway as a gift?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Detective Dennis Smith's theory about Denice Haraway being dumped into a manhole dismissed by the sewer department?
2. According to the narrator, what was the turning point in the Ward family?
3. Discuss the spectators who watch the trials going on in the courthouse, as described by the narrator in Chapter 7.
4. Why does Tricia Wolf punch Bud Wolf in the shoulder while reading the newspaper at the end of Chapter 5?
5. Who is in the small courtroom at the opposite end of the hallway in the beginning of Chapter 8? Why are they in the courtroom?
6. Who are the first three characters introduced to the reader in Chapter 1?
7. Who is Richard Kerner and what kind of relationship does he have with Don Wyatt?
8. Why do detectives dismiss Tommy Ward as a potential suspect in the disappearance of Denice Haraway in Chapter 2?
9. In Chapter 3, what alibi does Tommy Ward give detectives for the day Denice Haraway? Is this the same story he had given to detectives the first time he was questioned? Explain.
10. Discuss the major evidence collected in the Rawlings' case as described by the narrator in Chapter 6.
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)