|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Yuan-chun order that the girls of the house and Bao-yu be allowed to live?
(a) The refinished farmhouse.
(b) The Cherry Blossom Garden.
(c) The Peachtree Court,
(d) The Prospect Garden
2. Who dies at the end of Chapter 16?
(b) Qin Zhong.
(c) Jia Zheng.
3. Who is Yuan-chun overjoyed to see when she comes to see the garden?
(c) Jia Rong.
(d) Jia Zheng.
4. What is Dai-yu trying to do when Bao-yu comes to visit her in Chapter 19?
(a) Write a poem.
(b) Read a poem.
(c) Take a nap.
(d) Read a book.
5. It is Yuan-chun's hope that this move to live with the girls _____.
(a) Will encourage the boy to study more.
(b) Will increase his intelligence.
(c) Will stop him from eating lipstick.
(d) Will make him become more mature.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Jia-zeng realize will probably be his only heir?
2. What does Jia-lian use as his bedroom while his daughter is ill?
3. Who does the Prince of Bei-jing ask to meet?
4. What must families of concubines do so that they can meet together in private?
5. When Dai-yu hears one of Bao-yu's romantic stories, she becomes _____.
Short Essay Questions
1. Analyze Bao-yu's interactions with his father Jia Zheng during the naming party.
2. Why do the children move into the Prospect Garden?
3. How does Bao-yu show increasing maturity in his response to the quarrels among his female companions?
4. What facets of the relationships between masters/mistresses and servants are shown in the conflict between Jia Lian, Xi-feng, and Patience?
5. How do the servants of the house react to Qin-shi's death?
6. In what ways are Bao-yu's intellectual abilities displayed in the events surrounding Yuan-chun's visit?
7. How is the relationship between Bao-yu and his servants developed in the events after Yuan-chun's visit?
8. Discuss Yuan-chun's reaction upon her first visit home.
9. Why is Dai-yu overcome with grief as she listens to the words of the actresses rehearsing in the garden?
10. What superstition in Chapter 21 is shown to be false?
This section contains 1,015 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)