|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who scolds the maids for their mess?
(c) Nannie Li.
2. Who insists on being allowed to visit Qin-shi's body after her death?
(d) Jia Rong.
3. Who seeks advice from Bao-yu about how to take care of the Ning household?
(b) Cousin Zhen.
4. As Bao-yu, Xi-feng, and Qin Zhong talk during Chapter 14, what do they learn has happened?
(a) Qin-shi has passed away.
(b) Dai-yu's father has passed away.
(c) Dai-yu's mother has passed away.
(d) Bao-yu's father has passed away.
5. What is Shui Rong's title?
(a) The head of the Rong mansion.
(b) The Prince of Bei-jing.
(c) The Prince of Shanghai.
(d) The King of Bei-jing.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who leads Yuan-chun's arrival at her garden?
2. Who is the love interest of Bao-yu's newly adopted "son" Jia Yun?
3. For what does Yuan-chun request octets be written?
4. What does Bao-yu call for an end for in his altered poem?
5. What is Yuan-chun shocked by when she first sees the garden?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Qin-shi's honor and devotion to family seen before she dies?
2. In Chapter 20, how does Bao-yu show that he cares about Dai-yu?
3. For what reason(s) might Bao-yu have become discontented living in the Prospect Garden?
4. What facets of the relationships between masters/mistresses and servants are shown in the conflict between Jia Lian, Xi-feng, and Patience?
5. Discuss Yuan-chun's reaction upon her first visit home.
6. How do the servants of the house react to Qin-shi's death?
7. What is revealed about Xi-feng's character in the episode involving a servant woman bringing money to her?
8. Why do the children move into the Prospect Garden?
9. How is the relationship between Bao-yu and his servants developed in the events after Yuan-chun's visit?
10. Why does Aroma manipulate Bao-yu in Chapter 19?
This section contains 1,082 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)