|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What must families of concubines do so that they can meet together in private?
(a) Suggest another girl who can be made a concubine.
(b) Make an offering to the gods.
(c) Pay a fee to the Emperor.
(d) Build a separate residence according to the emperor's specifications.
2. After a night's sleep, who does Bao-yu wake up next to in Chapter 21?
3. What is purchased for Yuan-chun's first visit to her garden?
(a) A priest to bless the garden.
(b) A writer to make an address to mark the occasion.
(c) Twelve child actresses and twenty-four nuns.
(d) Twenty-four child actresses and twelve nuns.
4. Which servant does Lian desire but who won't let him have her?
(b) The Mattress.
5. Who dies at the end of Chapter 16?
(b) Jia Zheng.
(c) Qin Zhong.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who leads Yuan-chun's arrival at her garden?
2. In her anger at Bao-yu, what does Dai-yu cut up?
3. What is Dai-yu trying to do when Bao-yu comes to visit her in Chapter 19?
4. What does Yuan-chun remind the family of as she departs from the garden?
5. What is Jia Rong offered immediately after there is concern about his status?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the relationship between Bao-yu and his servants developed in the events after Yuan-chun's visit?
2. How do the servants of the house react to Qin-shi's death?
3. What does the way the Jia family undertake preparations for Yuan-chun's visit show about their character when it comes to money?
4. In Chapter 20, how does Bao-yu show that he cares about Dai-yu?
5. What is Shui Rong's impression of Bao-yu?
6. In what ways are Bao-yu's intellectual abilities displayed in the events surrounding Yuan-chun's visit?
7. Hypothesize as to why Bao-yu's reaction to Qin-shi's death so violent.
8. How does Bao-yu show increasing maturity in his response to the quarrels among his female companions?
9. What is revealed about Xi-feng's character in the episode involving a servant woman bringing money to her?
10. Why is Dai-yu overcome with grief as she listens to the words of the actresses rehearsing in the garden?
This section contains 1,100 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)