|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Bao-yu not allow to be taken from him by his pages?
(a) A rabbit foot pendant.
(b) The sachet given to him by Dai-yu.
(c) The purse given to him by Dai-yu.
(d) His schoolbooks.
2. What happens to Jia Zheng's dislike for Bao-yu towards the end of the novel?
(a) It increases.
(b) It is put on hold.
(c) It cannot get higher.
(d) It decreases.
3. After a night's sleep, who does Bao-yu wake up next to in Chapter 21?
4. Who does Bao-yu see sleeping with a girl?
5. What does Bao-yu pick at Qin Zhong about while staying at the temple?
(a) His thinness and lack of muscles.
(b) His affection for his cousin.
(c) His affection for a servant girl.
(d) His poor grades in school.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bao-yu call for an end for in his altered poem?
2. Who scolds the maids for their mess?
3. What character does one of the child actors look like?
4. What does Aroma urge Bao-yu to stop eating?
5. Where does Yuan-chun order that the girls of the house and Bao-yu be allowed to live?
Short Essay Questions
1. Hypothesize as to why Bao-yu's reaction to Qin-shi's death so violent.
2. In what ways are Bao-yu's intellectual abilities displayed in the events surrounding Yuan-chun's visit?
3. What is revealed about Xi-feng's character in the episode involving a servant woman bringing money to her?
4. What can be understood from the relationship between Qin Zhong and Sappy?
5. How does Xiang-yun's presence lead Bao-yu to think more highly of Bao-chai?
6. What facets of the relationships between masters/mistresses and servants are shown in the conflict between Jia Lian, Xi-feng, and Patience?
7. In Chapter 20, how does Bao-yu show that he cares about Dai-yu?
8. What is Shui Rong's impression of Bao-yu?
9. What does the way the Jia family undertake preparations for Yuan-chun's visit show about their character when it comes to money?
10. Discuss Yuan-chun's reaction upon her first visit home.
This section contains 1,013 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)