|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Shui Rong's title?
(a) The Prince of Bei-jing.
(b) The King of Bei-jing.
(c) The head of the Rong mansion.
(d) The Prince of Shanghai.
2. What does Bao-yu call for an end for in his altered poem?
(a) Cheating women.
(b) Feminine nagging and jealousy.
(d) Jealous boyfriends.
3. In Xi-feng's dream, why is Qin-shi concerned about the family falling on hard times?
(a) Because it will ruin her reputation.
(b) Because they will not be able to pay rent.
(c) Because it will bring shame on the family.
(d) Because no provisions will be made for seasonal offerings or for funds for the clan school.
4. What is Yuan-chun shocked by when she first sees the garden?
(a) Two enormous trees.
(b) The extravagance to which her family has gone.
(c) A suggestive statue.
(d) The poor workmanship of the garden.
5. Who gives Bao-yu a present of romantic, sexual love stories to read?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who visits Aroma's home with Bao-yu?
2. After a night's sleep, who does Bao-yu wake up next to in Chapter 21?
3. When Dai-yu hears one of Bao-yu's romantic stories, she becomes _____.
4. During what time will Bao-yu be allowed to live with the girls?
5. What gift does Shui Rong give to Bao-yu?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what ways are Bao-yu's intellectual abilities displayed in the events surrounding Yuan-chun's visit?
2. For what reason(s) might Bao-yu have become discontented living in the Prospect Garden?
3. What can be understood from the relationship between Qin Zhong and Sappy?
4. What is Shui Rong's impression of Bao-yu?
5. What superstition in Chapter 21 is shown to be false?
6. What does the way the Jia family undertake preparations for Yuan-chun's visit show about their character when it comes to money?
7. How does the family express their bereavement of and Qin-shi's death to the public?
8. Why is Dai-yu overcome with grief as she listens to the words of the actresses rehearsing in the garden?
9. How does Bao-yu show increasing maturity in his response to the quarrels among his female companions?
10. Why do the children move into the Prospect Garden?
This section contains 1,062 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)