|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What important event happens on the day of Jia Zheng's birthday?
(a) Yuan-chun is chosen as an Imperial Concubine.
(b) Bao-yu's study is finished.
(c) Qin Zhong falls ill.
(d) Xi-feng returns home.
2. Who gives Bao-yu a present of romantic, sexual love stories to read?
3. What is Yuan-chun shocked by when she first sees the garden?
(a) The poor workmanship of the garden.
(b) Two enormous trees.
(c) The extravagance to which her family has gone.
(d) A suggestive statue.
4. Why is Aroma upset with Bao-yu in Chapter 21?
(a) He is ignoring her.
(b) He is not paying attention to his studies.
(c) He continues to eat the tree bark.
(d) He is spending too much time with girls.
5. Who is the love interest of Bao-yu's newly adopted "son" Jia Yun?
(b) The Mattress.
Short Answer Questions
1. It is Yuan-chun's hope that this move to live with the girls _____.
2. What is the attitude of Jia Zheng's literary friends towards Bao-yu?
3. Who does the Prince of Bei-jing ask to meet?
4. What did Bao-yu not allow to be taken from him by his pages?
5. Who are the invitees to Bao-yu's birthday party?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is revealed about Xi-feng's character in the episode involving a servant woman bringing money to her?
2. Why do the children move into the Prospect Garden?
3. Analyze Bao-yu's interactions with his father Jia Zheng during the naming party.
4. For what reason(s) might Bao-yu have become discontented living in the Prospect Garden?
5. Why does Jia Zheng finally start to warm to Bao-yu?
6. What facets of the relationships between masters/mistresses and servants are shown in the conflict between Jia Lian, Xi-feng, and Patience?
7. What does the way the Jia family undertake preparations for Yuan-chun's visit show about their character when it comes to money?
8. In what ways are Bao-yu's intellectual abilities displayed in the events surrounding Yuan-chun's visit?
9. How do the servants of the house react to Qin-shi's death?
10. How does Bao-yu show increasing maturity in his response to the quarrels among his female companions?
This section contains 1,068 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)