|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During what time will Bao-yu be allowed to live with the girls?
(a) While he is an adolescent.
(b) As long as Dai-yu is living there.
(c) While Yuan-chun is absent.
(d) Until he is married.
2. What does Aroma urge Bao-yu to stop eating?
(a) Bark of the oak tree.
(c) Lipstick and other cosmetics.
(d) Leaves from the oak tree.
3. What is Shui Rong's title?
(a) The head of the Rong mansion.
(b) The Prince of Shanghai.
(c) The King of Bei-jing.
(d) The Prince of Bei-jing.
4. Who dies at the end of Chapter 16?
(b) Qin Zhong.
(c) Jia Zheng.
5. What important event happens on the day of Jia Zheng's birthday?
(a) Xi-feng returns home.
(b) Yuan-chun is chosen as an Imperial Concubine.
(c) Bao-yu's study is finished.
(d) Qin Zhong falls ill.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many people does Bao-yu share the romantic/erotic stories with?
2. Where does Yuan-chun order that the girls of the house and Bao-yu be allowed to live?
3. What does Xi-feng's leadership bring to the Ning house?
4. In Xi-feng's dream, why is Qin-shi concerned about the family falling on hard times?
5. What wakes Xi-feng from her dream about Qin-shi?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss Yuan-chun's reaction upon her first visit home.
2. Why do the children move into the Prospect Garden?
3. What is Shui Rong's impression of Bao-yu?
4. How does Bao-yu show increasing maturity in his response to the quarrels among his female companions?
5. In Chapter 20, how does Bao-yu show that he cares about Dai-yu?
6. Why does Jia Zheng finally start to warm to Bao-yu?
7. How do the servants of the house react to Qin-shi's death?
8. How does Xiang-yun's presence lead Bao-yu to think more highly of Bao-chai?
9. In what ways are Bao-yu's intellectual abilities displayed in the events surrounding Yuan-chun's visit?
10. How is the relationship between Bao-yu and his servants developed in the events after Yuan-chun's visit?
This section contains 986 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)