|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who scolds the maids for their mess?
(c) Nannie Li.
2. Who calls for Bao-yu to tell the boy he is to be moved in with the girls?
(a) Grandmother Jia.
(d) Jia Zheng.
3. Who gives Bao-yu a present of romantic, sexual love stories to read?
4. Why does Bao-yu seek Dai-yu's company in Chapter 19?
(a) Because Aroma is angry with him.
(b) Because Aroma is ill.
(c) Because Bao-chai is angry with him.
(d) Because Xi-feng wants him to do chores.
5. What is purchased for Yuan-chun's first visit to her garden?
(a) A priest to bless the garden.
(b) Twelve child actresses and twenty-four nuns.
(c) Twenty-four child actresses and twelve nuns.
(d) A writer to make an address to mark the occasion.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Shui Rong's title?
2. What is most important about The Temple of the Iron Threshold in relation to Qin-shi?
3. Who does Bao-yu see sleeping with a girl?
4. With whom does Bao-yu spend his evening after being scolded by Aroma for defending her?
5. What causes Qin Zhong's father to die?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Qin-shi's honor and devotion to family seen before she dies?
2. How does Xiang-yun's presence lead Bao-yu to think more highly of Bao-chai?
3. Why does Aroma manipulate Bao-yu in Chapter 19?
4. What is Shui Rong's impression of Bao-yu?
5. What is revealed about Xi-feng's character in the episode involving a servant woman bringing money to her?
6. Why is Dai-yu overcome with grief as she listens to the words of the actresses rehearsing in the garden?
7. For what reason(s) might Bao-yu have become discontented living in the Prospect Garden?
8. What does Bao-yu add to the book he is reading, and how does Dai-yu respond?
9. In what ways are Bao-yu's intellectual abilities displayed in the events surrounding Yuan-chun's visit?
10. Hypothesize as to why Bao-yu's reaction to Qin-shi's death so violent.
This section contains 1,032 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)