|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who scolds Aroma for not getting up when she enters a room?
(d) Nannie Li.
2. What does Yuan-chun remind the family of as she departs from the garden?
(a) Her desire for them to be happy.
(b) Her disappointment at being made a concubine.
(c) How impressed she is with garden.
(d) All the opportunities they will have to visit each other.
3. What must families of concubines do so that they can meet together in private?
(a) Pay a fee to the Emperor.
(b) Make an offering to the gods.
(c) Build a separate residence according to the emperor's specifications.
(d) Suggest another girl who can be made a concubine.
4. What causes Qin Zhong's father to die?
(a) The stress of finding out about Qin Zhong's love affair with Sappy.
(b) The stress of Bao-yu's consistent misbehaving.
(c) His guilt about a huge debt.
(d) His sadness over Qin-shi's death.
5. Why does Bao-yu beg Xi-feng to let he and Qin Zhong stay longer in the temple?
(a) Because he is learning a lot about spirituality.
(b) Because he feels affection for a servant girl.
(c) Because Qin Zhong fears going back home.
(d) Because Qin Zhong and Sappy are in love and want to spend time together.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Xi-feng's personality as an overbearing mistress come to light in the Ning house?
2. Why is Aroma upset with Bao-yu in Chapter 21?
3. Which servant does Lian desire but who won't let him have her?
4. Who gives temporary names to places and things in the garden for Yuan-chun?
5. Who does the Prince of Bei-jing ask to meet?
Short Essay Questions
1. For what reason(s) might Bao-yu have become discontented living in the Prospect Garden?
2. What facets of the relationships between masters/mistresses and servants are shown in the conflict between Jia Lian, Xi-feng, and Patience?
3. Analyze Bao-yu's interactions with his father Jia Zheng during the naming party.
4. What superstition in Chapter 21 is shown to be false?
5. In Chapter 20, how does Bao-yu show that he cares about Dai-yu?
6. Why does Jia Zheng finally start to warm to Bao-yu?
7. How is the relationship between Bao-yu and his servants developed in the events after Yuan-chun's visit?
8. What is revealed about Xi-feng's character in the episode involving a servant woman bringing money to her?
9. How does Bao-yu show increasing maturity in his response to the quarrels among his female companions?
10. What does Bao-yu add to the book he is reading, and how does Dai-yu respond?
This section contains 1,128 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)