|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is purchased for Yuan-chun's first visit to her garden?
(a) Twenty-four child actresses and twelve nuns.
(b) A priest to bless the garden.
(c) Twelve child actresses and twenty-four nuns.
(d) A writer to make an address to mark the occasion.
2. What must families of concubines do so that they can meet together in private?
(a) Build a separate residence according to the emperor's specifications.
(b) Pay a fee to the Emperor.
(c) Make an offering to the gods.
(d) Suggest another girl who can be made a concubine.
3. Who is Yuan-chun overjoyed to see when she comes to see the garden?
(a) Jia Rong.
(b) Jia Zheng.
4. During what time will Bao-yu be allowed to live with the girls?
(a) While Yuan-chun is absent.
(b) While he is an adolescent.
(c) As long as Dai-yu is living there.
(d) Until he is married.
5. Who dies at the end of Chapter 16?
(a) Qin Zhong.
(d) Jia Zheng.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Bao-yu not allow to be taken from him by his pages?
2. What is most important about The Temple of the Iron Threshold in relation to Qin-shi?
3. Who is the love interest of Bao-yu's newly adopted "son" Jia Yun?
4. Where does the funeral procession for Qin-shi finally arrive?
5. What wakes Xi-feng from her dream about Qin-shi?
Short Essay Questions
1. What can be understood from the relationship between Qin Zhong and Sappy?
2. What does Bao-yu add to the book he is reading, and how does Dai-yu respond?
3. How does Patience show her loyalty to Xi-feng in Chapter 16?
4. What facets of the relationships between masters/mistresses and servants are shown in the conflict between Jia Lian, Xi-feng, and Patience?
5. Why does Aroma manipulate Bao-yu in Chapter 19?
6. How does Xiang-yun's presence lead Bao-yu to think more highly of Bao-chai?
7. For what reason(s) might Bao-yu have become discontented living in the Prospect Garden?
8. Hypothesize as to why Bao-yu's reaction to Qin-shi's death so violent.
9. How does Bao-yu show increasing maturity in his response to the quarrels among his female companions?
10. Why does Jia Zheng finally start to warm to Bao-yu?
This section contains 998 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)