|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who leads Yuan-chun's arrival at her garden?
(a) An unshaven nun.
(b) A priest.
(c) An envoy of eunuchs.
(d) Jia Zheng and Grandmother Jia.
2. What is Dai-yu trying to do when Bao-yu comes to visit her in Chapter 19?
(a) Read a poem.
(b) Read a book.
(c) Take a nap.
(d) Write a poem.
3. What arrangements does Xi-feng talk to her husband about in relation to get-togethers?
(a) Bao-yu's birthday party.
(b) Boa-chai's birthday party.
(c) Yuan-chun's next visit.
(d) Dai-yu's blessing.
4. What does Jia-lian use as his bedroom while his daughter is ill?
(a) The living room.
(b) Aroma's room.
(c) The Mattresses' room.
(d) Outer study.
5. What does Bao-yu pick at Qin Zhong about while staying at the temple?
(a) His affection for his cousin.
(b) His poor grades in school.
(c) His thinness and lack of muscles.
(d) His affection for a servant girl.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Aroma's overall plans for Bao-yu?
2. What wakes Xi-feng from her dream about Qin-shi?
3. What does Bao-yu call for an end for in his altered poem?
4. What does Aroma urge Bao-yu to stop eating?
5. To whose house does Bao-yu wander to to study to look at a painting that he likes?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss Yuan-chun's reaction upon her first visit home.
2. How does Bao-yu show increasing maturity in his response to the quarrels among his female companions?
3. What is Shui Rong's impression of Bao-yu?
4. What is revealed about Xi-feng's character in the episode involving a servant woman bringing money to her?
5. Analyze Bao-yu's interactions with his father Jia Zheng during the naming party.
6. Hypothesize as to why Bao-yu's reaction to Qin-shi's death so violent.
7. For what reason(s) might Bao-yu have become discontented living in the Prospect Garden?
8. Why does Aroma manipulate Bao-yu in Chapter 19?
9. How do the servants of the house react to Qin-shi's death?
10. Why do the children move into the Prospect Garden?
This section contains 1,031 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)