|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which servant does Lian desire but who won't let him have her?
(a) The Mattress.
2. Who scolds Aroma for not getting up when she enters a room?
(b) Nannie Li.
3. What does Bao-yu pick at Qin Zhong about while staying at the temple?
(a) His poor grades in school.
(b) His thinness and lack of muscles.
(c) His affection for a servant girl.
(d) His affection for his cousin.
4. What is most important about The Temple of the Iron Threshold in relation to Qin-shi?
(a) It is her favorite place to visit.
(b) She will be buried there.
(c) She once gave a speech there.
(d) Blessings will be offered for her soul there.
5. What do Bao-yu's pages take from him after the naming party for the garden for Yuan-chun?
(a) His magical jade.
(b) The purse given to him Dai-yu.
(c) All of his trinkets.
(d) All of his wine.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who leads Yuan-chun's arrival at her garden?
2. What arrangements does Xi-feng talk to her husband about in relation to get-togethers?
3. What is Shui Rong's title?
4. What is Dai-yu trying to do when Bao-yu comes to visit her in Chapter 19?
5. What does Jia-zeng notice about Bao-yu's intelligence?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the family express their bereavement of and Qin-shi's death to the public?
2. In what ways are Bao-yu's intellectual abilities displayed in the events surrounding Yuan-chun's visit?
3. What can be understood from the relationship between Qin Zhong and Sappy?
4. How does Bao-yu show increasing maturity in his response to the quarrels among his female companions?
5. Discuss Yuan-chun's reaction upon her first visit home.
6. What does Bao-yu add to the book he is reading, and how does Dai-yu respond?
7. What superstition in Chapter 21 is shown to be false?
8. Hypothesize as to why Bao-yu's reaction to Qin-shi's death so violent.
9. How is the relationship between Bao-yu and his servants developed in the events after Yuan-chun's visit?
10. For what reason(s) might Bao-yu have become discontented living in the Prospect Garden?
This section contains 1,111 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)