|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Bao-yu call for an end for in his altered poem?
(a) Feminine nagging and jealousy.
(c) Cheating women.
(d) Jealous boyfriends.
2. After a night's sleep, who does Bao-yu wake up next to in Chapter 21?
3. Who scolds Aroma for not getting up when she enters a room?
(a) Nannie Li.
4. What is Jia Rong offered immediately after there is concern about his status?
(a) A spot in the Corps of Officers of the Imperial Guard.
(b) A job in a bakery.
(c) A spot as a courtier of the Imperial Court.
(d) A marriage proposal.
5. What must families of concubines do so that they can meet together in private?
(a) Suggest another girl who can be made a concubine.
(b) Build a separate residence according to the emperor's specifications.
(c) Pay a fee to the Emperor.
(d) Make an offering to the gods.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is purchased for Yuan-chun's first visit to her garden?
2. Who gives temporary names to places and things in the garden for Yuan-chun?
3. To whose house does Bao-yu wander to to study to look at a painting that he likes?
4. What addiction does Dai-yu discover of Bao-yu's?
5. What are Aroma's overall plans for Bao-yu?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss Yuan-chun's reaction upon her first visit home.
2. Why is Dai-yu overcome with grief as she listens to the words of the actresses rehearsing in the garden?
3. Hypothesize as to why Bao-yu's reaction to Qin-shi's death so violent.
4. Why does Jia Zheng finally start to warm to Bao-yu?
5. How does Patience show her loyalty to Xi-feng in Chapter 16?
6. Why does Aroma manipulate Bao-yu in Chapter 19?
7. How does the family express their bereavement of and Qin-shi's death to the public?
8. What superstition in Chapter 21 is shown to be false?
9. What does the way the Jia family undertake preparations for Yuan-chun's visit show about their character when it comes to money?
10. In Chapter 20, how does Bao-yu show that he cares about Dai-yu?
This section contains 1,072 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)