|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does the Prince of Bei-jing ask to meet?
(d) Jia Rong.
2. Who dies at the end of Chapter 16?
(b) Qin Zhong.
(d) Jia Zheng.
3. What happens to Jia Zheng's dislike for Bao-yu towards the end of the novel?
(a) It cannot get higher.
(b) It increases.
(c) It decreases.
(d) It is put on hold.
4. What is Jia Rong offered immediately after there is concern about his status?
(a) A job in a bakery.
(b) A marriage proposal.
(c) A spot in the Corps of Officers of the Imperial Guard.
(d) A spot as a courtier of the Imperial Court.
5. What is Dai-yu trying to do when Bao-yu comes to visit her in Chapter 19?
(a) Read a book.
(b) Write a poem.
(c) Read a poem.
(d) Take a nap.
Short Answer Questions
1. What gift does Shui Rong give to Bao-yu?
2. What is the attitude of Jia Zheng's literary friends towards Bao-yu?
3. In her anger at Bao-yu, what does Dai-yu cut up?
4. Who gives Bao-yu a present of romantic, sexual love stories to read?
5. What does Bao-yu pick at Qin Zhong about while staying at the temple?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Bao-yu add to the book he is reading, and how does Dai-yu respond?
2. Analyze Bao-yu's interactions with his father Jia Zheng during the naming party.
3. How does Patience show her loyalty to Xi-feng in Chapter 16?
4. What facets of the relationships between masters/mistresses and servants are shown in the conflict between Jia Lian, Xi-feng, and Patience?
5. How do the servants of the house react to Qin-shi's death?
6. What superstition in Chapter 21 is shown to be false?
7. Why does Jia Zheng finally start to warm to Bao-yu?
8. Why does Aroma manipulate Bao-yu in Chapter 19?
9. What does the way the Jia family undertake preparations for Yuan-chun's visit show about their character when it comes to money?
10. How is the relationship between Bao-yu and his servants developed in the events after Yuan-chun's visit?
This section contains 1,037 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)