|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Dai-yu trying to do when Bao-yu comes to visit her in Chapter 19?
(a) Read a book.
(b) Take a nap.
(c) Write a poem.
(d) Read a poem.
2. What is Yuan-chun shocked by when she first sees the garden?
(a) A suggestive statue.
(b) Two enormous trees.
(c) The poor workmanship of the garden.
(d) The extravagance to which her family has gone.
3. Who leads Yuan-chun's arrival at her garden?
(a) A priest.
(b) An envoy of eunuchs.
(c) An unshaven nun.
(d) Jia Zheng and Grandmother Jia.
4. When Dai-yu hears one of Bao-yu's romantic stories, she becomes _____.
(b) Attracted to Bao-yu.
5. Who does the Prince of Bei-jing ask to meet?
(a) Jia Rong.
Short Answer Questions
1. What servant finds a lock of The Mattress's hair in Jia Lian's things?
2. What does Bao-yu pick at Qin Zhong about while staying at the temple?
3. What did Bao-yu not allow to be taken from him by his pages?
4. What do Bao-yu's pages take from him after the naming party for the garden for Yuan-chun?
5. What is there concern about when it comes to Jia Rong's status?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the way the Jia family undertake preparations for Yuan-chun's visit show about their character when it comes to money?
2. How does Patience show her loyalty to Xi-feng in Chapter 16?
3. Discuss Yuan-chun's reaction upon her first visit home.
4. What is Shui Rong's impression of Bao-yu?
5. How is the relationship between Bao-yu and his servants developed in the events after Yuan-chun's visit?
6. Why is Dai-yu overcome with grief as she listens to the words of the actresses rehearsing in the garden?
7. What can be understood from the relationship between Qin Zhong and Sappy?
8. For what reason(s) might Bao-yu have become discontented living in the Prospect Garden?
9. Analyze Bao-yu's interactions with his father Jia Zheng during the naming party.
10. What superstition in Chapter 21 is shown to be false?
This section contains 1,137 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)