|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With whom does Bao-yu spend his evening after being scolded by Aroma for defending her?
(d) The Mattress.
2. Where does Yuan-chun order that the girls of the house and Bao-yu be allowed to live?
(a) The Prospect Garden
(b) The Peachtree Court,
(c) The refinished farmhouse.
(d) The Cherry Blossom Garden.
3. Who is the love interest of Bao-yu's newly adopted "son" Jia Yun?
(b) The Mattress.
4. One day, Bao-yu wakes with a feeling of _____________ that will not go away.
(c) Self pity.
5. What servant finds a lock of The Mattress's hair in Jia Lian's things?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which is the only character who chooses not to rest and recuperate after Yuan-chun's visit?
2. After a night's sleep, who does Bao-yu wake up next to in Chapter 21?
3. Which servant does Lian desire but who won't let him have her?
4. Who gives Bao-yu a present of romantic, sexual love stories to read?
5. For what does Yuan-chun request octets be written?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Qin-shi's honor and devotion to family seen before she dies?
2. What does the way the Jia family undertake preparations for Yuan-chun's visit show about their character when it comes to money?
3. Why is Dai-yu overcome with grief as she listens to the words of the actresses rehearsing in the garden?
4. What facets of the relationships between masters/mistresses and servants are shown in the conflict between Jia Lian, Xi-feng, and Patience?
5. Why do the children move into the Prospect Garden?
6. What is Shui Rong's impression of Bao-yu?
7. In Chapter 20, how does Bao-yu show that he cares about Dai-yu?
8. What is revealed about Xi-feng's character in the episode involving a servant woman bringing money to her?
9. How does Bao-yu show increasing maturity in his response to the quarrels among his female companions?
10. What superstition in Chapter 21 is shown to be false?
This section contains 978 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)