|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Bao-yu see sleeping with a girl?
2. Why is Aroma upset with Bao-yu in Chapter 21?
(a) He continues to eat the tree bark.
(b) He is not paying attention to his studies.
(c) He is spending too much time with girls.
(d) He is ignoring her.
3. What sound comes from one of Bao-yu's rooms when the girls are ganging up on him?
(a) Quiet discussion.
(b) Angry voices.
(c) Laughing voices.
4. Who scolds Aroma for not getting up when she enters a room?
(a) Nannie Li.
5. How many people does Bao-yu share the romantic/erotic stories with?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the love interest of Bao-yu's newly adopted "son" Jia Yun?
2. What does Jia-lian use as his bedroom while his daughter is ill?
3. What is Jia Rong offered immediately after there is concern about his status?
4. Which is the only character who chooses not to rest and recuperate after Yuan-chun's visit?
5. As Bao-yu, Xi-feng, and Qin Zhong talk during Chapter 14, what do they learn has happened?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Xiang-yun's presence lead Bao-yu to think more highly of Bao-chai?
2. What does Bao-yu add to the book he is reading, and how does Dai-yu respond?
3. How does the family express their bereavement of and Qin-shi's death to the public?
4. What can be understood from the relationship between Qin Zhong and Sappy?
5. How is the relationship between Bao-yu and his servants developed in the events after Yuan-chun's visit?
6. Why is Dai-yu overcome with grief as she listens to the words of the actresses rehearsing in the garden?
7. What facets of the relationships between masters/mistresses and servants are shown in the conflict between Jia Lian, Xi-feng, and Patience?
8. In Chapter 20, how does Bao-yu show that he cares about Dai-yu?
9. Why does Jia Zheng finally start to warm to Bao-yu?
10. Analyze Bao-yu's interactions with his father Jia Zheng during the naming party.
This section contains 1,053 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)