|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is most important about The Temple of the Iron Threshold in relation to Qin-shi?
(a) She once gave a speech there.
(b) Blessings will be offered for her soul there.
(c) It is her favorite place to visit.
(d) She will be buried there.
2. What is Dai-yu trying to do when Bao-yu comes to visit her in Chapter 19?
(a) Read a poem.
(b) Write a poem.
(c) Take a nap.
(d) Read a book.
3. Why is Aroma upset with Bao-yu in Chapter 21?
(a) He is spending too much time with girls.
(b) He is not paying attention to his studies.
(c) He is ignoring her.
(d) He continues to eat the tree bark.
4. What does Aroma urge Bao-yu to stop eating?
(a) Lipstick and other cosmetics.
(b) Bark of the oak tree.
(c) Leaves from the oak tree.
5. What is purchased for Yuan-chun's first visit to her garden?
(a) A writer to make an address to mark the occasion.
(b) A priest to bless the garden.
(c) Twelve child actresses and twenty-four nuns.
(d) Twenty-four child actresses and twelve nuns.
Short Answer Questions
1. During what time will Bao-yu be allowed to live with the girls?
2. Why does Bao-yu seek Dai-yu's company in Chapter 19?
3. Who seeks advice from Bao-yu about how to take care of the Ning household?
4. What did Bao-yu not allow to be taken from him by his pages?
5. What arrangements does Xi-feng talk to her husband about in relation to get-togethers?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Bao-yu show increasing maturity in his response to the quarrels among his female companions?
2. Why is Dai-yu overcome with grief as she listens to the words of the actresses rehearsing in the garden?
3. What can be understood from the relationship between Qin Zhong and Sappy?
4. Why do the children move into the Prospect Garden?
5. Analyze Bao-yu's interactions with his father Jia Zheng during the naming party.
6. How is Qin-shi's honor and devotion to family seen before she dies?
7. Why does Aroma manipulate Bao-yu in Chapter 19?
8. What does the way the Jia family undertake preparations for Yuan-chun's visit show about their character when it comes to money?
9. For what reason(s) might Bao-yu have become discontented living in the Prospect Garden?
10. Hypothesize as to why Bao-yu's reaction to Qin-shi's death so violent.
This section contains 1,179 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)