|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To whose house does Bao-yu wander to to study to look at a painting that he likes?
(a) His uncle Feng-shu.
(b) His friend Qin-shi.
(c) His cousin Ming.
(d) His cousin Zhen.
2. Who helps Bao-yu with writing poems for Yuan-chun?
(a) Xi-feng and Dai-yu.
(b) Bao-chai and Dai-yu.
(c) Qin Zhong and Bao-chai.
(d) Jia Zheng and his literary friends.
3. Who seeks advice from Bao-yu about how to take care of the Ning household?
(b) Cousin Zhen.
4. As Bao-yu, Xi-feng, and Qin Zhong talk during Chapter 14, what do they learn has happened?
(a) Bao-yu's father has passed away.
(b) Dai-yu's father has passed away.
(c) Dai-yu's mother has passed away.
(d) Qin-shi has passed away.
5. In Xi-feng's dream, why is Qin-shi concerned about the family falling on hard times?
(a) Because it will bring shame on the family.
(b) Because no provisions will be made for seasonal offerings or for funds for the clan school.
(c) Because it will ruin her reputation.
(d) Because they will not be able to pay rent.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jia-zeng notice about Bao-yu's intelligence?
2. Which servant does Lian desire but who won't let him have her?
3. What does Aroma urge Bao-yu to stop eating?
4. For what does Yuan-chun request octets be written?
5. What kind of party does Grandmother Jia decide to hold?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is revealed about Xi-feng's character in the episode involving a servant woman bringing money to her?
2. Analyze Bao-yu's interactions with his father Jia Zheng during the naming party.
3. How do the servants of the house react to Qin-shi's death?
4. What superstition in Chapter 21 is shown to be false?
5. In Chapter 20, how does Bao-yu show that he cares about Dai-yu?
6. How does Xiang-yun's presence lead Bao-yu to think more highly of Bao-chai?
7. How is the relationship between Bao-yu and his servants developed in the events after Yuan-chun's visit?
8. What does the way the Jia family undertake preparations for Yuan-chun's visit show about their character when it comes to money?
9. What is Shui Rong's impression of Bao-yu?
10. Hypothesize as to why Bao-yu's reaction to Qin-shi's death so violent.
This section contains 1,098 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)