|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the attitude of Jia Zheng's literary friends towards Bao-yu?
(a) They are sympathetic towards him.
(b) They show they do not care for him.
(c) They belittle him.
(d) They constantly praise him.
2. What important event happens on the day of Jia Zheng's birthday?
(a) Yuan-chun is chosen as an Imperial Concubine.
(b) Xi-feng returns home.
(c) Qin Zhong falls ill.
(d) Bao-yu's study is finished.
3. What arrangements does Xi-feng talk to her husband about in relation to get-togethers?
(a) Yuan-chun's next visit.
(b) Bao-yu's birthday party.
(c) Boa-chai's birthday party.
(d) Dai-yu's blessing.
4. To whose house does Bao-yu wander to to study to look at a painting that he likes?
(a) His uncle Feng-shu.
(b) His cousin Ming.
(c) His friend Qin-shi.
(d) His cousin Zhen.
5. Who gives temporary names to places and things in the garden for Yuan-chun?
(a) Jia Zheng, his literary friends, and Bao-yu.
(b) Bao-yu and Qin Zhong.
(c) Jia Zheng and Yuan-chun.
Short Answer Questions
1. One day, Bao-yu wakes with a feeling of _____________ that will not go away.
2. After a night's sleep, who does Bao-yu wake up next to in Chapter 21?
3. Which is the only character who chooses not to rest and recuperate after Yuan-chun's visit?
4. Who scolds Aroma for not getting up when she enters a room?
5. Who is the love interest of Bao-yu's newly adopted "son" Jia Yun?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Shui Rong's impression of Bao-yu?
2. How does Patience show her loyalty to Xi-feng in Chapter 16?
3. How does the family express their bereavement of and Qin-shi's death to the public?
4. In what ways are Bao-yu's intellectual abilities displayed in the events surrounding Yuan-chun's visit?
5. Hypothesize as to why Bao-yu's reaction to Qin-shi's death so violent.
6. Discuss Yuan-chun's reaction upon her first visit home.
7. Why do the children move into the Prospect Garden?
8. Analyze Bao-yu's interactions with his father Jia Zheng during the naming party.
9. How is Qin-shi's honor and devotion to family seen before she dies?
10. What superstition in Chapter 21 is shown to be false?
This section contains 1,036 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)