|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are Aroma's overall plans for Bao-yu?
(a) To take his money.
(b) To sleep with him.
(c) To leave the service of the Jia family.
(d) To work on his character flaws.
2. Who does the Prince of Bei-jing ask to meet?
(a) Jia Rong.
3. One day, Bao-yu wakes with a feeling of _____________ that will not go away.
(a) Self pity.
4. What does Xi-feng's leadership bring to the Ning house?
(a) Disharmony and distrust.
(b) A slack and uncaring attitude among the servants.
(c) Order and peace.
(d) A tyrannical atmosphere of constant fear.
5. What is Dai-yu trying to do when Bao-yu comes to visit her in Chapter 19?
(a) Take a nap.
(b) Write a poem.
(c) Read a poem.
(d) Read a book.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Aroma upset with Bao-yu in Chapter 21?
2. What does Bao-yu call for an end for in his altered poem?
3. What is there concern about when it comes to Jia Rong's status?
4. In Xi-feng's dream, why is Qin-shi concerned about the family falling on hard times?
5. Who does Jia-zeng realize will probably be his only heir?
Short Essay Questions
1. For what reason(s) might Bao-yu have become discontented living in the Prospect Garden?
2. How does Xiang-yun's presence lead Bao-yu to think more highly of Bao-chai?
3. What is revealed about Xi-feng's character in the episode involving a servant woman bringing money to her?
4. How do the servants of the house react to Qin-shi's death?
5. Analyze Bao-yu's interactions with his father Jia Zheng during the naming party.
6. What superstition in Chapter 21 is shown to be false?
7. Why is Dai-yu overcome with grief as she listens to the words of the actresses rehearsing in the garden?
8. How is Qin-shi's honor and devotion to family seen before she dies?
9. Hypothesize as to why Bao-yu's reaction to Qin-shi's death so violent.
10. What is Shui Rong's impression of Bao-yu?
This section contains 1,088 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)