|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Bao-yu not allow to be taken from him by his pages?
(a) His schoolbooks.
(b) A rabbit foot pendant.
(c) The sachet given to him by Dai-yu.
(d) The purse given to him by Dai-yu.
2. What is purchased for Yuan-chun's first visit to her garden?
(a) Twenty-four child actresses and twelve nuns.
(b) A priest to bless the garden.
(c) A writer to make an address to mark the occasion.
(d) Twelve child actresses and twenty-four nuns.
3. What causes Qin Zhong's father to die?
(a) His guilt about a huge debt.
(b) The stress of finding out about Qin Zhong's love affair with Sappy.
(c) His sadness over Qin-shi's death.
(d) The stress of Bao-yu's consistent misbehaving.
4. Who scolds Aroma for not getting up when she enters a room?
(b) Nannie Li.
5. Who dies at the end of Chapter 16?
(a) Jia Zheng.
(d) Qin Zhong.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who calls for Bao-yu to tell the boy he is to be moved in with the girls?
2. How many people does Bao-yu share the romantic/erotic stories with?
3. Which servant does Lian desire but who won't let him have her?
4. To whose house does Bao-yu wander to to study to look at a painting that he likes?
5. What do Bao-yu's pages take from him after the naming party for the garden for Yuan-chun?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the children move into the Prospect Garden?
2. What does Bao-yu add to the book he is reading, and how does Dai-yu respond?
3. How is the relationship between Bao-yu and his servants developed in the events after Yuan-chun's visit?
4. Hypothesize as to why Bao-yu's reaction to Qin-shi's death so violent.
5. Why is Dai-yu overcome with grief as she listens to the words of the actresses rehearsing in the garden?
6. What can be understood from the relationship between Qin Zhong and Sappy?
7. Discuss Yuan-chun's reaction upon her first visit home.
8. What is revealed about Xi-feng's character in the episode involving a servant woman bringing money to her?
9. How does Bao-yu show increasing maturity in his response to the quarrels among his female companions?
10. What facets of the relationships between masters/mistresses and servants are shown in the conflict between Jia Lian, Xi-feng, and Patience?
This section contains 1,019 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)