|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Rand battle in the sky over Falme that inspired many?
2. What language does Mat speak as he is being healed?
3. Why does Rand leave the camp?
4. Who are the Souless?
5. What do Moiraine and her group fly over their camp?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is happening on the Almoth Plain, and what is Moiraine's response to it?
2. Where are Mat, Nynaeve, Egwene, Hurin and Verin Sedai at the opening of this chapter and what are they doing?
3. What did Liandrin do while Egwene and her group are away from the White Tower?
4. Describe Egwene's third vision.
5. What is Moiraine's explanation about the dreams the group all had in common about Callandor during the night?
6. Why should the Children of Light be allies and what aren't they?
7. Who is Pedron Niall and what is in the report Pedron Niall receives?
8. Describe Mat's healing and who is present.
9. What reports have been coming out of some villages about young men who look like Rand?
10. Who does Mat challenge and beat in a mock fight?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Siuan Sanche sends Egwene, Nynaeve and Elayne to Tear to search out the Aes Sedai who are darkfriends. Discuss the following:
1. Is it responsible for Sanche to send three relatively young women who are also not highly trained in the use of saidar to possibly go up against experienced Aes Sedai who also outnumber them?
2. Do you think that extraordinary and dangerous times warrants doing things that are unorthodox and not necessarily ethical?
3. Many inexperienced women and men volunteered to act as agents in France to gain intelligence for the British government during WWII? Is that a similar type of situation as that which Egwene, Elayne and Nynaeve are doing? (You may need to do a little research about the British agents in France during WWII. Was it moral for the British to send in fairly young and inexperienced men and women as agents in a very dangerous situation? What about the fact that they were volunteers?
Essay Topic 2
As in many fantasy novels, magic is an inherent part of a few of the characters and can be wielded by other characters, though not as an inherent aspect of their nature. Discuss the following:
1. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the use of magic/channeling source in The Dragon Reborn. Who possesses the ability to channel source as an inherent aspect of their nature? How does the inequality between those who can channel and those who can impact the plot of The Dragon Reborn?
2. Why do you think magic exists in so many fantasy novels? Do you think a novel can be "fantasy" and there be no magic as a part of the storyline? Why or why not.
3. Would you desire to possess the ability to use magic if there were such a talent in our world? Why or why not? What would be the advantages and disadvantages of possessing such an ability?
Essay Topic 3
The Dragon Reborn is one book in a series of novels involving the Rand Al'Thor and his world. Discuss the following.
1. What are some advantages of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Use examples.
2. What are some disadvantages of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Use examples.
3. Do you prefer to read a standalone book, or a series of books with the same main characters? Explain your response.
4. Do you think it is easier or more difficult (or about the same) to write a standalone book versus one in a series? Explain your answer.
This section contains 1,290 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)