|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What town can Rand's effect be seen as Moiraine and the others arrive there while tracking Rand?
2. What surprises the weapons master at the end of Mat's bout?
3. For what does Siuan Sanche privately scold Nyanave, Egwene and Elayne?
4. What does the stone ring Egwene receives do?
5. Who is killed trying to save Perrin?
Short Essay Questions
1. What effect does Rand have on the town of Jarra?
2. Describe Egwene's third vision.
3. What did Liandrin do while Egwene and her group are away from the White Tower?
4. Why does Nynaeve decide to find Mat and attempt to heal him herself?
5. What sort of prophetic dreams has Egwene been having?
6. How are Etwene, Nynaeve and Elayne treated publicly versus privately once they are back in the White Tower?
7. Who does Mat challenge and beat in a mock fight?
8. What does Else Grimwell reveal to Nynaeve, Egwene and Elayne and what are the three's thoughts about it?
9. Why is Mat so hungry in the next few days after he is healed?
10. Who is Leya and what does Min see about her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in The Dragon Reborn.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of The Dragon Reborn. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of The Dragon Reborn. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
Essay Topic 2
As in many fantasy novels, magic is an inherent part of a few of the characters and can be wielded by other characters, though not as an inherent aspect of their nature. Discuss the following:
1. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the use of magic/channeling source in The Dragon Reborn. Who possesses the ability to channel source as an inherent aspect of their nature? How does the inequality between those who can channel and those who can impact the plot of The Dragon Reborn?
2. Why do you think magic exists in so many fantasy novels? Do you think a novel can be "fantasy" and there be no magic as a part of the storyline? Why or why not.
3. Would you desire to possess the ability to use magic if there were such a talent in our world? Why or why not? What would be the advantages and disadvantages of possessing such an ability?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss The Dragon Reborn based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1, and judge if The Dragon Reborn is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the fact that The Dragon Reborn is a novel in a series changes the criteria upon which its success should be judged? Explain.
This section contains 1,084 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)