|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what are Egwene and Elayne raised?
2. What is a Myrddraal?
3. What does Moiraine believe Rand needs to do before joining any specific battle?
4. What two birds does Min see in Perrin's future?
5. What does the woman in white tell Mat about the Aes Sedai?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens as Nynaeve and Egwene are returning to Egwene's quarters in the White Tower?
2. What sort of prophetic dreams has Egwene been having?
3. Who are the Aiel and the Tuatha'an?
4. How are novices raised to the level of Accepted?
5. Who does Moiraine Sedai send to Tar Valon, and why?
6. Describe Egwene's first vision.
7. What effect does Rand have on the town of Jarra?
8. Who is Leya and what does Min see about her?
9. What does Else Grimwell reveal to Nynaeve, Egwene and Elayne and what are the three's thoughts about it?
10. Describe Mat's healing and who is present.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Whenever reading a science fiction or fantasy novel, one must become familiar with new terminology that explains concepts or ideas that are not a part of the "real" world. In the case of The Dragon Reborn, much of the setting may seem familiar to the reader (i.e. there are woods, mountains, rivers, oceans, etc.), though there are new ideas and terms to learn. Discuss the following:
1. Find five terms that are a part of the world of The Dragon Reborn that occur in the "real" world but are used differently in The Dragon Reborn.
2. Define the words as used in in The Dragon Reborn's world and compare those five words as to how they are currently used in the American English language.
3. There are ways of learning about a new world or time when reading a science fiction or fantasy novel. Discuss the ways you were able to understand the world of The Dragon Reborn. Did you have to look up any words? What does it mean to learn a word through its context? Do you have to do that in The Dragon Reborn? What word(s)?
4. Were there any words you never really understood from The Dragon Reborn? Which ones?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss The Dragon Reborn based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1, and judge if The Dragon Reborn is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the fact that The Dragon Reborn is a novel in a series changes the criteria upon which its success should be judged? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Siuan Sanche sends Egwene, Nynaeve and Elayne to Tear to search out the Aes Sedai who are darkfriends. Discuss the following:
1. Is it responsible for Sanche to send three relatively young women who are also not highly trained in the use of saidar to possibly go up against experienced Aes Sedai who also outnumber them?
2. Do you think that extraordinary and dangerous times warrants doing things that are unorthodox and not necessarily ethical?
3. Many inexperienced women and men volunteered to act as agents in France to gain intelligence for the British government during WWII? Is that a similar type of situation as that which Egwene, Elayne and Nynaeve are doing? (You may need to do a little research about the British agents in France during WWII. Was it moral for the British to send in fairly young and inexperienced men and women as agents in a very dangerous situation? What about the fact that they were volunteers?
This section contains 1,198 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)