|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Golyadkin Junior doing when Golyadkin arrives at the office?
2. Which of his body parts does Golyadkin lament?
3. Who does Golyadkin Junior say helped him get a position?
4. What does Golyadkin say is the status of his situation?
5. How does Golyadkin Junior harass Golyadkin at the coffee shop?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Golyadkin Junior’s entrance into the office.
2. What is the importance of the letter Golyadkin receives from Klara Olsufyevna?
3. How does Golyadkin plan to resolve the situation with Golyadkin Junior?
4. How have things changed when Golyadkin wakes up in the morning after his drunken night with Golyadkin Junior.
5. Describe what happens when Golyadkin reaches Andrey Filippovich’s house.
6. What are Golyadkin’s feelings as he concludes the night with Golyadkin Junior?
7. Describe the interview Golyadkin and Golyadkin Junior have in the coffee shop.
8. Describe the letter Golyadkin sends to Golyadkin Junior.
9. What is the outcome of Golyadkin’s appeal to His Excellency?
10. What requests does Golyadkin make of Petrushka?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Dostoevsky characterize Yakov Petrovich Golyadkin? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he realistic? Is he an Everyman? Is he a symbol of something? Using examples from the text, describe Dostoevsky’s accomplishment in creating Golyadkin.
Essay Topic 2
When is The Double most itself? What is its characteristic passage, or moment? What makes that moment or passage the most representative of the book as a whole? Are there any places where the book seems to depart from its typical self, as if to become a different book?
Essay Topic 3
What is the role of women in Petersburg society, and in Golyadkin’s life? How does Dostoevsky describe the women in The Double? How is their society different from men’s?
This section contains 953 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)