|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Petrushka tell Golyadkin he has been?
2. What claim does Golyadkin Junior make to Golyadkin?
3. What does Anton Antonovich Setochkin tell Golyadkin?
4. What is the message of Golyadkin Junior’s poem to Golyadkin?
5. What does Golyadkin say would have happened if it weren’t for “this, all this”?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Golyadkin plan to resolve the situation with Golyadkin Junior?
2. What requests does Golyadkin make of Petrushka?
3. What is the outcome of Golyadkin’s appeal to His Excellency?
4. Describe Golyadkin’s state as he chases Golyadkin after they leave the office together, and how does this state relate to Golyadkin’s previous states?
5. What is Golyadkin’s explanation for Golyadkin Junior’s existence?
6. What profound experience does Golyadkin have in his sleep?
7. What are Golyadkin’s feelings as he concludes the night with Golyadkin Junior?
8. Why does Golyadkin Junior say he appealed to Golyadkin?
9. What happens after Golyadkin leaves the office at the end of the day?
10. Describe the interview Golyadkin and Golyadkin Junior have in the coffee shop.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Would you recommend The Double? For what purposes would you recommend The Double, and what kinds of readers would you recommend it for? What other book would you recommend that would cover the same material or tell the same story in a different way?
Essay Topic 2
What is missing from this book? What should have been covered or presented that was not? What is the effect of this absence? Describe an element that ought to have been covered, and explain why it would have made the book stronger.
Essay Topic 3
What are the particular techniques Dostoevsky uses to convey the horror of Golyadkin’s situation? How does he keep the reader’s interest, and preserve the reader’s sense of strangeness in this encounter? What information is provided, and what information is withheld?
This section contains 1,009 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)