|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What solution does Klara Olsufyevna propose?
2. What new issue does Golyadkin’s last resort raise to him?
3. How does Golyadkin Junior annihilate Golyadkin in the office?
4. How does Golyadkin Junior steal the papers from Golyadkin?
5. What does Golyadkin imagine telling Golyadkin Junior?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Golyadkin’s explanation for Golyadkin Junior’s existence?
2. What requests does Golyadkin make of Petrushka?
3. What are Golyadkin’s feelings as he concludes the night with Golyadkin Junior?
4. What is Golyadkin Junior like when Golyadkin finds him at the office?
5. Describe what happens when Golyadkin reaches Andrey Filippovich’s house.
6. What trick does Golyadkin Junior play on Golyadkin when he leaves the coffee house where they have been talking?
7. What response does Golyadkin get to his letter?
8. What is the state of affairs when Golyadkin arrives home and talks with Petrushka?
9. How does Golyadkin plan to resolve the situation with Golyadkin Junior?
10. What happens after Golyadkin leaves the office at the end of the day?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Make an argument for the genre that best describes The Double. Is it a parody? A satire? A morality tale? A philosophical discourse on uncanniness? A psychological study of madness—or something else. Explain why the term you chose is the better fit than the others.
Essay Topic 2
Where is the climax of this book? Are there different climaxes? What questions does each climax resolve? What questions does each climax leave unanswered?
Essay Topic 3
What explanation does Dostoevsky give the reader to explain Golyadkin’s guilt, or the visitation by his Double? What are the advantages and disadvantages of Dostoevsky’s leaving this ambiguous?
This section contains 895 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)