|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Golyadkin Junior tell Golyadkin about his living arrangements?
2. How does Golyadkin refer to himself when he is berating himself?
3. Where does Golyadkin Junior go with Golyadkin’s papers?
4. What sensation does the reader get when Golyadkin says that he keeps to the straight and narrow, and that he despises deviousness?
5. How are Golyadkin’s thoughts characterized when he is at his flat?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Golyadkin’s explanation for Golyadkin Junior’s existence?
2. Describe the intimacy that develops between Golyadkin and Golyadkin Junior.
3. What is the state of affairs when Golyadkin arrives home and talks with Petrushka?
4. What is the importance of the letter Golyadkin receives from Klara Olsufyevna?
5. What does the narrator say about Golyadkin’s tendency to exacerbate his feelings?
6. What profound experience does Golyadkin have in his sleep?
7. How does Golyadkin plan to resolve the situation with Golyadkin Junior?
8. What response does Golyadkin get to his letter?
9. Describe Golyadkin’s state as he chases Golyadkin after they leave the office together, and how does this state relate to Golyadkin’s previous states?
10. What requests does Golyadkin make of Petrushka?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Would you recommend The Double? For what purposes would you recommend The Double, and what kinds of readers would you recommend it for? What other book would you recommend that would cover the same material or tell the same story in a different way?
Essay Topic 2
What are the particular techniques Dostoevsky uses to convey the horror of Golyadkin’s situation? How does he keep the reader’s interest, and preserve the reader’s sense of strangeness in this encounter? What information is provided, and what information is withheld?
Essay Topic 3
Write a character sketch of the author based on his style and content. What values does he hold dear? What are his hopes and fears? What kind of person do you think he is? Anchor your sketch in passages in the book.
This section contains 966 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)