|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Golyadkin speak?
2. What does Golyadkin find unusual about Petrushka the morning after the banquet?
3. Which of these things does Golyadkin NOT shop for?
4. What is Golyadkin’s feeling about the money in his wallet?
5. What does Golyadkin insist to Andrey Filippovich when he sees him at Olsufy Ivanovich’s house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What blunders does Golyadkin make when he enters Krestyan Ivanovich’s office?
2. Describe Golyadkin’s entrance into Olsufy Ivanovich’s banquet.
3. What is the meaning and significance of Golyadkin’s statement that “it’s not me at all”?
4. Describe Golyadkin’s departure from the banquet.
5. Describe Golyadkin’s shipping trip to Gostiny Dvor.
6. What kinds of goods does Golyadkin go shopping for at Nevsky Prospekt?
7. What does Dostoevsky say about the money Golyadkin counts and relishes?
8. What confession does Golyadkin make to Krestyan Ivanovich?
9. Describe Golyadkin’s feelings on leaving Olsufy Ivanovich’s house.
10. Describe Golyadkin’s entrance into Krestyan Ivanovich’s office.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is the audience for The Double? What is the ideal reader for The Double likely to think about the book’s main topics? How does this book try to affect the reader? What is it trying to teach him or her, or get him or her to do?
Essay Topic 2
When is The Double most itself? What is its characteristic passage, or moment? What makes that moment or passage the most representative of the book as a whole? Are there any places where the book seems to depart from its typical self, as if to become a different book?
Essay Topic 3
What is the essence of The Double? If you could sum up the insights it brings the reader to, what is the story ultimately about, or rather, what does the story get the reader to see?
This section contains 845 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)