|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Petrushka tell Golyadkin he has been?
(a) Drinking with friends.
(b) To see Klara Olsufyevna.
(c) To see Andrey Filippovich.
(d) To see good people.
2. How did the previous day’s events affect Golyadkin?
(a) They twisted his head around.
(b) They shook him to the core.
(c) They left him unscathed.
(d) They blinded him with a fog.
3. Why can’t Golyadkin protest against injury in his sleepless visions?
(a) Because he himself has received only minor injuries in his lifetime.
(b) Because he does not deserve the respect of being able to protest.
(c) Because he has participated in a kind of insult himself.
(d) Because he has done things that are much worse than anything that has been done to him.
4. What is the outcome of Golyadkin’s appeal to Andrey Filippovich?
(a) Golyadkin Junior interrupts him and turns Andrey Filippovich against him.
(b) Andrey Filippovich sends him away.
(c) They are interrupted, and nothing happens.
(d) Golyadkin stutters and cannot say anything.
5. What new issue does Golyadkin’s last resort raise to him?
(a) His failures in his latest reports.
(b) His gambling debts.
(c) His financial status.
(d) His treatment of a young lady.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which aspect of Golyadkin Junior’s personality does Golyadkin despise?
2. What tone does Golyadkin take with Golyadkin Junior?
3. What does Golyadkin ask Petrushka to do for him?
4. How does Golyadkin characterize his own behavior toward his guest?
5. Who does Golyadkin Junior say helped him get a position?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Golyadkin Junior like when Golyadkin finds him at the office?
2. What is Golyadkin Junior’s demeanor like when he arrives at Golyadkin’s flat?
3. Describe the intimacy that develops between Golyadkin and Golyadkin Junior.
4. What trick does Golyadkin Junior play on Golyadkin when he leaves the coffee house where they have been talking?
5. Describe Golyadkin Junior’s entrance into the office.
6. What does the narrator say about Golyadkin’s tendency to exacerbate his feelings?
7. What is Golyadkin Junior like when Golyadkin finds him at the office?
8. What is Golyadkin’s explanation for Golyadkin Junior’s existence?
9. How does Golyadkin plan to resolve the situation with Golyadkin Junior?
10. Describe the letter Golyadkin writes to Golyadkin Junior before going to the office.
This section contains 885 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)