|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when Golyadkin tries to address Klara Olsufyevna?
(a) He addresses her in the most flattering terms, and she dances with him.
(b) He stammers, cannot ultimately speak, and retreats in shame.
(c) He begins well, then stumbles and loses his head.
(d) Vladimir Semyonovich cuts him off before he can begin.
2. What troubles Golyadkin in the middle of his shopping trip?
(a) Apprehension about the night.
(b) Hot flashes.
(d) Twinges of conscience.
3. What does Golyadkin insist to Andrey Filippovich when he sees him at Olsufy Ivanovich’s house?
(a) That he is the victim of a plot.
(b) That he has a message for him.
(c) That some misunderstanding has occurred.
(d) That he is here on his own account.
4. Whom does Golyadkin say he complimented recently?
(a) Klara Olsufyevna.
(b) Olsufy Ivanovich.
(c) Andrey Filippovich.
(d) Karolina Ivanovna.
5. How does Dostoevsky describe Golyadkin’s appearance?
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the clerks characterize Golyadkin’s appearance?
2. What plot does Golyadkin say is afoot?
3. How did Olsufy Ivanovich suffer his disability?
4. What language does most of the discourse at the banquet take place in?
5. Which of these things does Golyadkin NOT shop for?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the chase the stranger leads Golyadkin on.
2. Describe the scene of Golyadkin’s waking after chasing Golyadkin Junior.
3. Describe Golyadkin’s arrival at Olsufy Ivanovich’s house.
4. What blunders does Golyadkin make when he enters Krestyan Ivanovich’s office?
5. What is Krestyan Ivanovich’s opinion of Golyadkin?
6. Describe Golyadkin’s interaction with Andrey Filippovich after his interaction with Gerasimych.
7. Describe Golyadkin’s shipping trip to Gostiny Dvor.
8. Describe Golyadkin’s entrance into Olsufy Ivanovich’s banquet.
9. What does Dostoevsky say about the money Golyadkin counts and relishes?
10. Describe Golyadkin’s first encounter with his double.
This section contains 845 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)