|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Golyadkin Junior steal the papers from Golyadkin?
(a) By saying there is a blot on them.
(b) By distracting Golyadkin with another matter.
(c) By sending Golyadkin on an errand.
(d) By confusing Golyadkin with other papers.
2. How does Golyadkin characterize his own behavior toward his guest?
(a) As highly unusual.
(b) As highly proper.
(c) As strictly charitable.
(d) As unprecedented.
3. How does Golyadkin act toward his double at his house?
(a) He is off-handed.
(b) He is magnanimous.
(c) He is hostile.
(d) He is indifferent toward him.
4. What does Golyadkin say about the letter he wrote to Golyadkin Junior?
(a) He disavows it.
(b) He qualifies it.
(c) He reasserts his challenge.
(d) He says that he was not sane when he wrote it.
5. What tone does Golyadkin take with Golyadkin Junior?
(a) A combination of fury and cowardice.
(b) A combination of self-abasement and politeness.
(c) A combination of innuendo and guilt
(d) A combination of accusation and conciliation.
6. How does Golyadkin Junior annihilate Golyadkin in the office?
(a) By insulting him in front of His Excellency.
(b) By reciting his sins to the workers there.
(c) By taking his desk.
(d) By wiping his hand after he touches Golyadkin’s hand.
7. What sensation does the reader get when Golyadkin says that he keeps to the straight and narrow, and that he despises deviousness?
8. What is the manner in which Golyadkin says that Golyadkin Junior has sucked up to people?
9. How does Golyadkin Junior greet Golyadkin?
(a) With hostility.
(b) With indifference.
(c) With impatience.
(d) With insolence.
10. What is Golyadkin’s sense of what fate has in store for him?
(a) Something that will reward him at last for his hard work.
(b) Something to vindicate him.
(c) Something unpleasant.
(d) Something that will end his troubles for once and for all.
11. What time is it when reaches the office?
(a) 3:30 p.m.
(c) 2:30 p.m.
(d) 10 a.m.
12. What does Petrushka think Golyadkin is planning?
(a) An elopement.
(b) A robbery.
(d) Resigning his position.
13. How is Golyadkin Junior’s demeanor described when he sits in Golyadkin’s flat?
14. What does Anton Antonovich have a medal for?
(a) Excellence in leadership.
(b) Twenty years service.
(c) International distinction.
(d) Bravery in war.
15. What is the tone of the letter Golyadkin receives in response to his letter to Golyadkin Junior?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Golyadkin believe Golyadkin Junior is responsible for when he sees him in his sleeplessness?
2. How is Golyadkin Junior described at dinner?
3. What new issue does Golyadkin’s last resort raise to him?
4. What does Golyadkin say would have happened if it weren’t for “this, all this”?
5. Whose work does Golyadkin say created all his troubles?
This section contains 517 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)