|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Golyadkin say is the status of his situation?
(a) It all remains to be determined.
(b) It depends on catching Golyadkin Junior.
(c) It is already signed and sealed.
(d) It will never be resolved.
2. What does Petrushka tell Golyadkin when he gets home at the beginning of Chapter 12?
(a) That he is afraid that Golyadkin has been stealing from him.
(b) That he wants a raise.
(c) That he is leaving
(d) That Golyadkin has been evicted.
3. What is Golyadkin Junior doing when Golyadkin arrives at the office?
(a) He is copying out a contract.
(b) He is talking with clerks.
(c) He is going on a special mission.
(d) He is working at Golyadkin’s desk.
4. What does Golyadkin sense in Golyadkin Junior’s arrival?
5. Who does Golyadkin Junior say helped him get a position?
(a) An unnamed person.
(b) Golyadkin’s father.
(d) Andrey Filippovich.
6. What gives Golyadkin a “voluptuous pleasure”?
(a) Planning his revenge.
(b) Rubbing salt in his wounds.
(c) Condemning Golyadkin Junior.
(d) Rehearsing how he had been wronged.
7. What does Golyadkin believe Golyadkin Junior is responsible for when he sees him in his sleeplessness?
(a) His desire for attention and approval.
(b) His bestial impulses.
(c) His theft of the wallet full of rubles.
(d) His fall from grace.
8. What does Golyadkin tell His Excellency he wants from him?
(a) A raise and promotion.
(b) Protection from his enemies
(c) Golyadkin Junior’s arrest.
9. Whom does Golyadkin appeal to as his last resort?
(a) Andrey Filippovich.
(b) Olsufy Ivanovich.
(c) Anton Antonovich Setochkin.
(d) Golyadkin Junior
10. How does Golyadkin refer to himself when he is berating himself?
(a) As an innocent victim.
(b) As a crazy person.
(c) As a suicide.
(d) As a dangerous man
11. What tone does Golyadkin take in his letter to Golyadkin Junior?
12. What is the manner in which Golyadkin says that Golyadkin Junior has sucked up to people?
13. How is Golyadkin described at the beginning of Chapter 11?
(a) He is so fragile a mosquito wing could break him.
(b) He is determined to have his confrontation with Golyadkin Junior.
(c) He is so confused he is stumbling around and not making sense.
(d) He is beside himself with grief.
14. What does Golyadkin say about the letter he wrote to Golyadkin Junior?
(a) He qualifies it.
(b) He says that he was not sane when he wrote it.
(c) He disavows it.
(d) He reasserts his challenge.
15. What is the message of Golyadkin Junior’s poem to Golyadkin?
(a) Never forget me.
(b) You have replaced me.
(c) You make it possible for me to be myself.
(d) I am unworthy of you.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Golyadkin’s sense of what fate has in store for him?
2. What is Golyadkin accused of?
3. How does Golyadkin act toward his double at his house?
4. What is Petrushka’s response when Golyadkin shows up with his double?
5. What sensation does the reader get when Golyadkin says that he keeps to the straight and narrow, and that he despises deviousness?
This section contains 531 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)