|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Golyadkin insist to Andrey Filippovich when he sees him at Olsufy Ivanovich’s house?
(a) That he is the victim of a plot.
(b) That he is here on his own account.
(c) That he has a message for him.
(d) That some misunderstanding has occurred.
2. How is Golyadkin Junior’s appearance described when he enters the office?
3. What does Golyadkin leave each of the shopkeepers with?
(a) Payment in full.
(b) Promises to return with a deposit.
(c) His card.
4. What troubles Golyadkin in the middle of his shopping trip?
(a) Apprehension about the night.
(c) Hot flashes.
(d) Twinges of conscience.
5. What amount of money is this?
(a) Enough to go out for dinner.
(b) A good deal.
(c) Enough to furnish a small flat.
(d) A paltry sum.
6. Which of the following best characterizes the narrator’s technique of describing the banquet by accounting for his inability to describe the event sufficiently?
(a) As rodomontade.
(b) As false modesty.
(c) As false propriety.
(d) As belligerence.
7. Which of these things does Golyadkin NOT shop for?
(a) Women’s clothing.
(c) Dinner and tea service.
(d) A carriage.
8. Whom does Golyadkin say he complimented recently?
(a) Olsufy Ivanovich.
(b) Klara Olsufyevna.
(c) Karolina Ivanovna.
(d) Andrey Filippovich.
9. What language does most of the discourse at the banquet take place in?
10. What is the third blunder Golyadkin makes in Krestyan Ivanovich’s room?
(a) He forgets why he came.
(b) He makes excuses for himself.
(c) He stutters instead of speaking.
(d) He fails to compliment Krestyan Ivanovich.
11. What spurs Golyadkin to turn and leave after his conversation with Andrey Filippovich?
(a) Voices from within.
(b) The cold.
(c) Footsteps on the stairs.
(d) The arrival of guards.
12. Where does Golyadkin Junior lead Golyadkin when he chases him?
(a) Back to Golyadkin’s flat.
(b) To Nevsky Prospekt.
(c) To the Semyonovsky Bridge.
(d) Back to the banquet.
13. How is Golyadkin characterized as he leaves the banquet?
14. How much does Golyadkin spend during his shopping trip?
(a) One and a half rubles.
(b) 1,500 rubles.
(c) 75 rubles.
(d) 100 rubles.
15. What season does The Double take place in?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Dostoevsky describe Krestyan Ivanovich?
2. What blunder does Golyadkin make when he comes into Krestyan Ivanovich’s room?
3. What kind of look does Golyadkin assume when Golyadkin Junior approaches him for the first time?
4. Who does Golyadkin blame the previous night’s horrors on?
5. Who is Andrey Filippovich?
This section contains 472 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)