|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Olsufy Ivanovich’s disability?
(a) Fake eye.
(b) Loss of one hand.
(d) Loss of his legs.
2. Where does Golyadkin send his carriage away?
(a) At Olsufy Ivanovich’s house.
(b) At Nevsky Prospekt.
(c) At a restaurant.
(d) At his home.
3. What is the third blunder Golyadkin makes in Krestyan Ivanovich’s room?
(a) He forgets why he came.
(b) He fails to compliment Krestyan Ivanovich.
(c) He makes excuses for himself.
(d) He stutters instead of speaking.
4. What capacity does Golyadkin lose after meeting his double?
(a) The capacity of sight.
(b) The capacity of speech.
(c) The capacity of self-awareness.
(d) The capacity for reason.
5. What is Golyadkin’s frame of reference for understanding the banquet?
(a) Personal experience.
(b) Newspaper accounts.
(d) Cheap French novels.
6. What does Golyadkin mean when he says that something is a “Russian proverb”?
(a) It is a learned bit of wisdom.
(b) It is childish and nonsensical.
(c) It is a folk saying.
(d) It is a silly nothing.
7. How long has Golyadkin reserved a carriage for?
(a) One one-way trip.
(b) A weekend.
(c) All day.
(d) All morning.
8. What is making the shrieking Golyadkin hears after he leaves the banquet?
(a) Wind in the church towers.
(b) Ships’ anchor chains.
(c) Lamps in the wind.
(d) Chains from the prison.
9. Where do Andrey Filippovich and Golyadkin have their conversation?
(a) In the ballroom.
(b) On the stairs.
(c) In the courtyard.
(d) In the entryway.
10. What does Golyadkin will happen in time?
(a) Masks will fall from certain faces.
(b) He will unveil a damaging secret.
(c) His value will be revealed.
(d) He will find his way home.
11. What does Golyadkin lose on his way home from the banquet?
(a) His money.
(b) His galoshes.
(c) His way.
(d) His coat.
12. How does the narrator characterize Golyadkin Junior?
(a) As Golyadkin’s shame.
(b) As Golyadkin’s true self.
(c) As Golyadkin’s better half.
(d) As Golyadkin’s spirit.
13. How does Golyadkin protect himself in Krestyan Ivanovich’s room?
(a) With a steady stream of self-praise.
(b) With a defiant look.
(c) With a pugnacious attitude.
(d) With aggressive questions.
14. What amount of money is this?
(a) Enough to go out for dinner.
(b) A paltry sum.
(c) A good deal.
(d) Enough to furnish a small flat.
15. Where does Golyadkin Junior end up sitting?
(a) Opposite Golyadkin.
(b) In another room.
(c) In Golyadkin’s seat.
(d) In Andrey Filippovich’s office.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the tone of this opening chapter?
2. What does Golyadkin say when he finally catches his double?
3. What kind of look does Golyadkin assume when Golyadkin Junior approaches him for the first time?
4. How did Olsufy Ivanovich suffer his disability?
5. How does Golyadkin speak?
This section contains 486 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)