|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which term describes the narrative tone when Golyadkin encounters his double in the office?
2. What is Golyadkin’s reaction the first time he sees Golyadkin Junior?
3. Why does Golyadkin stop to visit Krestyan Ivanovich?
(a) To make a social call.
(b) To confess himself.
(c) To get medicine.
(d) To get money.
4. How long has Golyadkin reserved a carriage for?
(a) All morning.
(b) All day.
(c) A weekend.
(d) One one-way trip.
5. What happens when Golyadkin tries to address Klara Olsufyevna?
(a) He stammers, cannot ultimately speak, and retreats in shame.
(b) Vladimir Semyonovich cuts him off before he can begin.
(c) He begins well, then stumbles and loses his head.
(d) He addresses her in the most flattering terms, and she dances with him.
6. What is Golyadkin’s feeling about the money in his wallet?
(a) He is apprehensive about what to spend it on.
(b) He is delighted.
(c) He is sad because it is already spent.
(d) He despairs that it won’t be enough.
7. What is the narrator’s as he describes Golyadkin’s shopping trip?
(d) Gently mocking.
8. What does Krestyan Ivanovich tell Golyadkin he has to do?
(a) Lead a thoughtful introspective life.
(b) Follow his prescription.
(d) Stay at home and rest.
9. Who is Andrey Filippovich?
(a) Golyadkin’s boss.
(b) Golyadkin’s cousin.
(c) Golyadkin’s friend.
(d) Golyadkin’s rival for a woman’ hand.
10. What disconcerts Golyadkin when he is in the carriage?
(a) He is self-conscious about his clothing.
(b) He encounters the woman he hoped to see.
(c) He meets two younger clerks.
(d) He remembers an important errand he needed to run.
11. Where does Golyadkin send his carriage away?
(a) At a restaurant.
(b) At his home.
(c) At Olsufy Ivanovich’s house.
(d) At Nevsky Prospekt.
12. How does Chapter Five end, after Golyadkin catches his double?
(a) With a question mark.
(b) With a quote.
(c) With a metaphor.
(d) With an ellipsis.
13. What is the occasion for the banquet at State Counsellor Berendyev’s house?
(a) Olsufy Ivanovich’s promotion.
(b) State Counsellor Berendyev’s retirement.
(c) Klara Olsufyevna’s engagement.
(d) Klara Olsufyevna’s birthday.
14. Which literary term describes the narrator speaking directly to the reader?
(b) Direct discourse.
(c) Narrative intrusion.
15. What spurs Golyadkin to turn and leave after his conversation with Andrey Filippovich?
(a) Voices from within.
(b) Footsteps on the stairs.
(c) The arrival of guards.
(d) The cold.
Short Answer Questions
1. What amount of money is this?
2. How does the narrator describe Golyadkin upon leaving the banquet?
3. How did Olsufy Ivanovich suffer his disability?
4. Where does Golyadkin Junior lead Golyadkin when he chases him?
5. What tone does Golyadkin take with his younger colleagues?
This section contains 505 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)