|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Dostoevsky characterize Golyadkin’s reaction to Petrushka’s livery?
(a) He is apprehensive about whether it will make the right impression.
(b) He is mortified by his appearance.
(c) He hopes that Petrushka can keep from ruining the clothes.
(d) He is well satisfied.
2. What is the third blunder Golyadkin makes in Krestyan Ivanovich’s room?
(a) He makes excuses for himself.
(b) He fails to compliment Krestyan Ivanovich.
(c) He stutters instead of speaking.
(d) He forgets why he came.
3. What reason does the narrator give for his inability to describe the scene at the banquet?
(a) He was not there.
(b) He heard contradictory accounts of the banquet.
(c) He is not accustomed to these people’s customs.
(d) His pen is too feeble.
4. Where do Andrey Filippovich and Golyadkin have their conversation?
(a) In the entryway.
(b) On the stairs.
(c) In the ballroom.
(d) In the courtyard.
5. What does Golyadkin find unusual about Petrushka the morning after the banquet?
(a) His silence.
(b) His self-satisfaction.
(c) His belligerence.
(d) His absence.
6. What is the tone of this opening chapter?
7. What is Yakov Petrovich Golyadkin’s rank?
(c) Titular counselor.
8. How do the clerks respond to Golyadkin’s account of himself?
(a) They compliment his views.
(b) They debate his choice of words.
(c) They agree silently.
(d) They crack up laughing.
9. Why does Golyadkin stop to visit Krestyan Ivanovich?
(a) To get money.
(b) To get medicine.
(c) To make a social call.
(d) To confess himself.
10. What happens when Golyadkin tries to address Klara Olsufyevna?
(a) He stammers, cannot ultimately speak, and retreats in shame.
(b) Vladimir Semyonovich cuts him off before he can begin.
(c) He addresses her in the most flattering terms, and she dances with him.
(d) He begins well, then stumbles and loses his head.
11. What season does The Double take place in?
12. What is the occasion for the banquet at State Counsellor Berendyev’s house?
(a) Klara Olsufyevna’s birthday.
(b) Klara Olsufyevna’s engagement.
(c) Olsufy Ivanovich’s promotion.
(d) State Counsellor Berendyev’s retirement.
13. What troubles Golyadkin in the middle of his shopping trip?
(a) Hot flashes.
(b) Apprehension about the night.
(c) Twinges of conscience.
14. How does Chapter Five end, after Golyadkin catches his double?
(a) With an ellipsis.
(b) With a question mark.
(c) With a metaphor.
(d) With a quote.
15. What does Golyadkin will happen in time?
(a) He will find his way home.
(b) Masks will fall from certain faces.
(c) His value will be revealed.
(d) He will unveil a damaging secret.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Golyadkin go from Krestyan Ivanovich’s office?
2. What blunder does Golyadkin make when he comes into Krestyan Ivanovich’s room?
3. How do the clerks characterize Golyadkin’s appearance?
4. What is Golyadkin’s reaction to seeing the clerks?
5. How is Golyadkin Junior’s appearance described when he enters the office?
This section contains 514 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)