|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who arrives to finally help Robin in Section 1?
2. Who or what does Robin initially blame for his accident in Section 3?
3. What causes Brother Luke, Brother Matthews, and Robin to question their direction in Section 5?
4. What is Robin’s immediate concern about his new mode of transportation in Section 4?
5. What does Robin wonder about John’s harp?
Short Essay Questions
1. What types of lessons does Robin learn from the monks in Section 4, and how do they help him?
2. Describe what happens to cause Robin’s outburst in Section 3, and Brother Matthew’s response.
3. Describe the journey to St. Mark’s.
4. Explain what Brother Luke means when he says reading is another door in the wall.
5. Describe Robin’s letter to his father in Section 3. What does it say, and what is the tone?
6. Describe Brother Luke’s arrival in Section 1, and Robin’s reaction.
7. Describe how Robin comes to the nickname Crookshanks.
8. Where does the group sleep the first night of their journey, and why does Robin think this is such an important adventure?
9. What does John de Bureford write in his letter to Robin? What does this mean for the young man?
10. Describe what Robin sees and hears during his first days at St. Mark’s.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the character of Brother Luke with the character of Sir Peter. What are their similarities? What are their differences? How does each character help Robin in the story? Why does each character take the time to try to help Robin? What does this say about the role of different classes in the life of Robin?
Essay Topic 2
Choose any character from the novel, and explain his or her role in the story. How do they interact with other characters? What lesson do they teach? Why did the author choose to include them? What is his or her class? His or her background? How does this tie into the story?
Essay Topic 3
When Robin accidentally slips using the chisel, and breaks his cross, what is his reaction? What does this show, in terms of his character? What is Brother Matthew’s response? What does he mean when he notes that a bad temper is not the best teacher? What does this lesson teach Robin?
This section contains 1,041 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)