|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Geoffrey call Robin?
2. Where is Robin’s mother at the beginning of the novel?
3. What do Brother Luke, Brother Matthews, and Robin roast in the fire in Section 5?
4. What does Brother Luke originally take Robin to the river to do?
5. What is Robin’s immediate concern about his new mode of transportation in Section 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain what Brother Luke means when he says reading is another door in the wall.
2. At the end of Section 1, Robin wonders what he has to be thankful for. What should he be thankful for, and what does this show about Robin at this point in the novel?
3. Describe St. Mark’s, including the various areas mentioned in the book.
4. Describe Robin’s actions, in relation to Ellen, at the beginning of the novel.
5. Explain how Robin comes to whittle a boat and a cross.
6. What does John-go-in-the-Wynd bring back for Robin in Section 5, and what is its significance to the novel, and to Robin?
7. What types of lessons does Robin learn from the monks in Section 4, and how do they help him?
8. Explain what happened to Robin that makes him require assistance.
9. Describe what Robin sees and hears during his first days at St. Mark’s.
10. Describe how Brother Matthew plans to securely attach the two parts to the cross.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose any character from the novel, and explain his or her role in the story. How do they interact with other characters? What lesson do they teach? Why did the author choose to include them? What is his or her class? His or her background? How does this tie into the story?
Essay Topic 2
Explain what happens to Robin’s parents at the beginning of the novel, and describe their reappearance later in the novel. Do you think his parents were right to leave him alone, with only the servants? Do you think this is common, during the time of the novel? How did Robin feel about his parents’ departure? How does he feel at the end of the novel, when they return?
Essay Topic 3
Sir Peter worries of war on nearly all sides. What threats pose the largest issue for him? Why is he worried about even his own cousin’s army? Who ends up attacking in the novel, and what do they use to hide themselves as they make their move on the castle? Why does Sir Peter’s brother come to his aid? What does this say about family?
This section contains 1,028 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)