|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What interrupts the serene day at the river in Section 4?
2. With whom does Brother Luke, Brother Matthews, and Robin share their meal in the rain?
3. What does Brother Luke claim in Section 3 will be good exercise?
4. How does Brother Luke use Robin’s letter to his father in Section 3 as his first lesson in writing?
5. What is Brother Matthew’s response to who Robin blames in Section 3 for his own error?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain what Brother Luke does to help Robin gain upper body strength, and how he helps him when his muscles tire.
2. At the end of Section 1, Robin wonders what he has to be thankful for. What should he be thankful for, and what does this show about Robin at this point in the novel?
3. What happens when Robin goes fishing, and how does this help him gain upper body strength, and determination?
4. Describe the first morning on the road in Section 5. What did the group eat, and who did they meet?
5. Describe what Robin sees and hears during his first days at St. Mark’s.
6. Describe the town as it is decorated for Midsummer Eve. What does Robin see?
7. Describe how Robin comes to the nickname Crookshanks.
8. Describe Brother Luke’s arrival in Section 1, and Robin’s reaction.
9. Explain what happened to Robin that makes him require assistance.
10. What does Brother Luke say about the stars, and what does he question as a result?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Several times in the novel, Robin seems to show an embarrassment toward his disability. Choose at least three of these moments, and describe them thoroughly. What is the situation? How does he show his embarrassment? What is the reaction from others? What do these reactions teach him, in the end, about his disability?
Essay Topic 2
Food plays an important role in the novel. How does food force Robin into accepting Brother Luke in the beginning of the novel? How does Brother Luke entice Robin to eat as he is preoccupied with whittling? When Brother Luke, Robin, and John all stop to eat after traveling all day, Robin mentions “hunger sauced it better than the finest cook could have done” (pg. 52). What does this mean? What does hunger teach Robin? How is food used to gain Robin a friend in D’Ath? How is food used by John’s mother in the novel? How is it used to celebrate at the end of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Sir Peter worries of war on nearly all sides. What threats pose the largest issue for him? Why is he worried about even his own cousin’s army? Who ends up attacking in the novel, and what do they use to hide themselves as they make their move on the castle? Why does Sir Peter’s brother come to his aid? What does this say about family?
This section contains 1,080 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)