|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is expected of Robin, as the son of a nobleman?
2. What causes Brother Luke, Brother Matthews, and Robin to question their direction in Section 5?
3. Why does Brother Luke say he wants to teach Robin the specific ability he begins teaching the boy in Section 4?
4. What does Robin wonder about his father at the end of Section 2?
5. Who cares for Robin the first few days at the hospice?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the town as it is decorated for Midsummer Eve. What does Robin see?
2. Describe how Brother Matthew plans to securely attach the two parts to the cross.
3. Explain what Brother Luke does to help Robin gain upper body strength, and how he helps him when his muscles tire.
4. Where are Robin’s mother and father in Section 1?
5. Describe the afternoon on the road in Section 5. Why does Robin develop the urge to walk, and what does the peasant tell them about hunting for wood?
6. Describe the journey to St. Mark’s.
7. Describe what Robin sees and hears during his first days at St. Mark’s.
8. What is expected of Robin, in terms of his future, and why is this at risk?
9. Where does the group sleep the first night of their journey, and why does Robin think this is such an important adventure?
10. Explain Robin’s secret in Section 4. What can he now do, and what does this show?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Food plays an important role in the novel. How does food force Robin into accepting Brother Luke in the beginning of the novel? How does Brother Luke entice Robin to eat as he is preoccupied with whittling? When Brother Luke, Robin, and John all stop to eat after traveling all day, Robin mentions “hunger sauced it better than the finest cook could have done” (pg. 52). What does this mean? What does hunger teach Robin? How is food used to gain Robin a friend in D’Ath? How is food used by John’s mother in the novel? How is it used to celebrate at the end of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the character of Robin. Describe his outlook on his life at the beginning of the novel, and discuss how it changes throughout the novel. What happens to make his outlook change? What does he learn about his own abilities? What is he able to do by the end of the novel that makes him a success? What does this say about the power of one’s attitude?
Essay Topic 3
Brother Luke not only helps Robin strength his body, but also his mind and his spirit. How does Brother Luke help Robin strengthen his body? How about his mind? And his spirit? How do the other monks help these processes? What is the outcome for Robin? Why does Brother Luke place such emphasis on all three areas of Robin’s life?
This section contains 1,079 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)