|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Robin’s father at the beginning of the novel?
(a) He is fighting the North war.
(b) He is fighting the Welsh war.
(c) He is fighting the Scottish war.
(d) He is fighting the Irish war.
2. In Section 1, what does Brother Luke explain about always finding a way through?
(a) He explains there is always a wall in a garden.
(b) He explains there is always a door in the wall.
(c) He explains there is always a person to help.
(d) He explains there is always a way to cut vines.
3. How does Brother Luke get Robin to eat?
(a) He asks him to eat until he does so.
(b) He forces him to eat.
(c) He doesn’t.
(d) He merely waits patiently.
4. What does Brother Luke say about Robin’s letter to his father in Section 3?
(a) It is uninformative.
(b) It is harsh.
(c) It is too kind.
(d) It is of questionable worth.
5. In Section 1, what does Brother Luke explain has happened to Ellen?
(a) She has quit.
(b) She has been stricken with plague.
(c) She has retired.
(d) She has been killed.
6. What happened two days after Robin’s tenth birthday?
(a) He was taken to Lindsay.
(b) He became paralyzed.
(c) He was taken hostage.
(d) He was sent to his father.
7. What does Robin pretend to do when Ellen arrives in Section 1?
8. Where do Brother Luke and Brother Matthews place Robin to sleep the first night of their journey?
(a) In a stable.
(b) In a warm bed.
(c) In front of a fire.
(d) In a tree trunk.
9. What does Robin’s father plan to tell his mother, according to the letter in Section 5?
(a) That he is with the monks.
(b) That he is with Sir Peter.
(c) That he is lonely.
(d) That he is dead.
10. What does Brother Luke say crutches can be, for Robin?
(a) A way out.
(b) A way in.
(c) A door in the wall.
(d) A hole in the door.
11. What is the wooden object Robin begins whittling at the opening of Section 4?
(a) A boat.
(b) A cross.
(c) A harp.
(d) A doll.
12. What finally slowly comes to an end at the beginning of Section 4?
(a) The plague.
(b) The drought.
(c) The war.
(d) The famine.
13. What does Robin wonder about John’s harp?
(a) If he can make one.
(b) If it sings by its self.
(c) If his father would like it.
(d) If he can buy one.
14. What does Robin begin to do everyday in Seciton 4?
(a) He begins to play harp.
(b) He begins to swim.
(c) He begins to sing.
(d) He begins to walk.
15. What spills all over Ellen in Section 1?
(a) Bread dough.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Robin try to do in order to see out the window in Section 1?
2. Why don’t Brother Luke, Brother Matthews, and Robin sleep in the forest the first night of their journey?
3. Why does Brother Luke keep making Robin continue?
4. What causes Brother Luke, Brother Matthews, and Robin to question their direction in Section 5?
5. How does Brother Luke help Robin with his crafting?
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)