|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Ray's wife's first husband?
2. It finally dawns on Ray that Guy has taken Norma to _______________.
3. What is the purpose of the Louisiana island now?
4. Who is the Negro boy who works at the hotel?
5. Ray is interested in finding the location for _______________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Guy show that he is essentially a low-life character?
2. Why did Ray not see the signs that Norma was unhappy in her life?
3. How does Mrs. Symes perceive the arrival of her son in Belize?
4. What does Dr. Symes blame his failures on and what advice does he give to Ray?
5. Who is Ski and why is Dr. Symes trying to avoid him?
6. Why is Ray forced to use some of Dr. Symes' money at the hotel?
7. Describe Ray's encounter with Guy at the Dupree farm.
8. How does Ray determine where Guy has probably taken Norma?
9. Who does Ray encounter early in his trip to find Norma and Guy?
10. How are Dr. Symes and his mother so different?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the ongoing conflict between Ray and Norma. What are the main sources of the conflicts? Why does it perpetuate? What does Norma learn about the reality of her life with Ray as opposed to the perceptions she has held for so long?
Essay Topic 2
Making bad decisions is an important theme in "The Dog of the South". Can you cite an example to support this theme? Name two other themes and cite examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Explain Portis' use of regionalism in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of regionalism and explain why the author used them where he did.
This section contains 982 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)