|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jean think about when he wants to escape the walls of his hospital?
2. What is wrong with Jean's right ear?
3. How often does Jean plan to write to his family?
4. What was Jean's occupation before his stroke?
5. What did it take a year for Jean to be ready to write about?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jean do when he goes to the beach with his family?
2. Why does Jean feel he does not belong at the hospital?
3. Why is Jean not interested in learning why he had his stroke?
4. What makes Jean depressed when he thinks about his former job and co-workers?
5. What is Jean's favorite thing to listen to when he is alone?
6. What condition is Jean grateful not to have and why?
7. What did Jean do while in Hong Kong?
8. What does Jean think about as Claude reads Jean the book he has been writing?
9. What happens when Jean and Vincent go to the horse track?
10. What is wrong with Jean's hearing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do Jean's feelings about and relationship with his caretakers at the hospital change over the course of this narrative?
Essay Topic 2
Maturity is a theme presented in a number of places in this story, and is manifested in a number of different ways. Choose a few of these instances and compare and contrast them. How are they different in their manifestations of this sensitive theme?
Essay Topic 3
What do you think is the main message Jean wants to send through the narration of his experience with his stroke?
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)