|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How close do people need to be to Jean for him to hear them?
2. What tickled Jean's eye on his lucky day?
3. What does the woman Jean takes on a trip say in a note she leaves him?
4. What is the name of the woman Jean kissed before testing the new car?
5. Where did Jean see a picture of himself in Hong Kong?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jean ask of the reader after telling about his time in Hong Kong?
2. How does Jean think he will die?
3. What condition is Jean grateful not to have and why?
4. What did Jean do while in Hong Kong?
5. How does Jean wake up on his "lucky" day?
6. What is Jean's favorite thing to listen to when he is alone?
7. What does the wax museum symbolize to Jean?
8. What day of the week does Jean dread the most, and why?
9. What does Jean think about after his trip to the beach with his family?
10. Where do friends of Jean think he should take a pilgrimage to?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compassion and empathy is a theme present in a number of places in this story. What are some of the best examples of this theme, and how does the presence of this theme affect Jean's life?
Essay Topic 2
Diversity and discrimination are two major and related themes in this book. Where do these themes appear, and how do they work together to propel the plot of the book?
Essay Topic 3
Jean is forced to sacrifice much in order to live his life after his stroke. What are some of these sacrifices and how do they affect the other people around him? Are these sacrifices worth the reward? Why or why not?
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)