|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do most of Jean's friends live?
2. Where do people say Jean should take a pilgrimage to?
3. What is Mirtha Grandchamp?
4. What was the name of Jean's best childhood friend?
5. What is wrong with Jean's right ear?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jean think about as he is taken to the hospital on the night of his stroke?
2. What does Jean plan to do with the letters he receives from his friends and family?
3. What did Jean do when he started feeling sick in the car on the night of his stroke?
4. What does Jean plan to do to keep in touch with his friends?
5. Why does Jean feel he does not belong at the hospital?
6. What day of the week does Jean dread the most, and why?
7. Where do friends of Jean think he should take a pilgrimage to?
8. What is wrong with Jean's hearing?
9. What does Jean think about as Claude reads Jean the book he has been writing?
10. What causes Jean to see that he needs to break up with Josephine?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do Jean's feelings about and relationship with his caretakers at the hospital change over the course of this narrative?
Essay Topic 2
How did Jean's life before his stroke differ from his life after his stroke?
Essay Topic 3
Symbolism is a very prevalent literary device used by Jean. What are some of these symbols, and how does their presence affect the feeling of the book?
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)