|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jean's daughter do every night that brings joy to his heart?
2. How old is Jean's father when Jean has his stroke?
3. What would the last lines of his writing about his hospital experience include?
4. How old was Jean's daughter when he had his stroke?
5. How did Sandrine best help Jean?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jean communicate his fluctuating emotions?
2. Who is Eugenie?
3. Why does Jean think he dreams about certain things repeatedly while in the hospital?
4. How does Jean communicate with people who come to visit him?
5. What did Jean's feeding test show?
6. Where do patients in the hospital get lost, and how does Jean feel when he gets lost?
7. What is happening when Jean awakes from his coma?
8. What kind of creature does Jean compare himself to and why?
9. How does Jean communicate, and why?
10. How would Jean end the play he wanted to write about his hospital experience?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Diversity and discrimination are two major and related themes in this book. Where do these themes appear, and how do they work together to propel the plot of the book?
Essay Topic 2
What significance did the title of the book have on Jean's life while he was healing?
Essay Topic 3
Symbolism is a very prevalent literary device used by Jean. What are some of these symbols, and how does their presence affect the feeling of the book?
This section contains 642 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)