|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of creature does Jean compare himself to?
2. What does Jean say he prefers to do on his own clothes?
3. What kind of corridor does Jean say his room is in?
4. What does Jean do to signify which letter he is looking for?
5. What is the name of the syndrome the author suffers after his stroke?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does a friend of Jean's do to help him when he starts missing his favorite foods?
2. What does Jean do to sate his appetite for real food?
3. How would Jean end the play he wanted to write about his hospital experience?
4. Where do patients in the hospital get lost, and how does Jean feel when he gets lost?
5. Where does Jean usually see all the other patients from his corridor, and how does he feel about those moments?
6. How does Jean describe his corridor of the hospital?
7. Who is the only literary figure with Locked-In syndrome?
8. How does Jean describe his father's apartment?
9. What does Sandrine help Jean to do, and how do the other staff at the hospital respond to this?
10. What happens when Jean wakes up from his coma?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did Jean's life before his stroke differ from his life after his stroke?
Essay Topic 2
Despair is an emotion that affects a number of the people in this book. Which people are most affected by despair, and how does this change the lives of those people?
Essay Topic 3
Human nature is a strong symbol and theme in this book. Where does this symbol appear, and what role does it play in the book?
This section contains 595 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)