|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of creature does Jean compare himself to?
2. What does Jean say helps his stiff muscles?
3. What kind of place does Jean's father live in?
4. What showed Jean the extent of his disabilities?
5. What does Jean first want to write about his time in the hospital?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jean communicate his fluctuating emotions?
2. What does Jean imagine Eugenie doing?
3. What does a friend of Jean's do to help him when he starts missing his favorite foods?
4. What major accomplishment does Jean do with Sandrine's help, and who is notified about this?
5. What did Jean's feeding test show?
6. Where has the author spent much of his last year when the book begins?
7. Why does Jean think he dreams about certain things repeatedly while in the hospital?
8. How would Jean end the play he wanted to write about his hospital experience?
9. Where does Jean usually see all the other patients from his corridor, and how does he feel about those moments?
10. How does Jean feel about the amount of prayers offered in his behalf?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did Jean's life before his stroke differ from his life after his stroke?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Empress Eugenie, and how does she affect Jean during his first months after waking up from his coma?
Essay Topic 3
Literature is very important to Jean during his healing process. How does Jean use literature to help him heal, and why is it so important to him?
This section contains 618 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)