|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What homage to Eugenie was placed at the hospital that Jean is staying at?
2. What does Jean do when visitors do not care to learn his code?
3. What recipe does a friend send to Jean while he is in the hospital?
4. What is the name of Jean's daughter?
5. What is Brigitte's occupation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jean imagine Eugenie doing?
2. How would Jean end the play he wanted to write about his hospital experience?
3. Why is it ironic when people try to finish Jean's sentences?
4. What does Brigitte do for Jean at the end of each visit?
5. How does Jean communicate his fluctuating emotions?
6. What does Jean picture the only literary figure with Locked-In syndrome to do?
7. What did Jean's feeding test show?
8. What causes Jean discomfort, and how is this discomfort relieved?
9. What does Sandrine help Jean to do, and how do the other staff at the hospital respond to this?
10. What does Jean dream a lot about while in the hospital?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jean is forced to sacrifice much in order to live his life after his stroke. What are some of these sacrifices and how do they affect the other people around him? Are these sacrifices worth the reward? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
What causes Jean to become more faithful and prayerful, and how does this help his healing process?
Essay Topic 3
How is Jean able to communicate with others after his stroke, and how has this changed his life?
This section contains 596 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)