|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the syndrome the author suffers after his stroke?
2. Where do the nutrients given to Jean need go directly?
3. What kind of hospital was the hospital Jean is staying at when it first opened?
4. Where does Jean see all the people in his corridor?
5. What does Jean constantly dream about?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Brigitte do for Jean at the end of each visit?
2. How does Jean communicate with people who come to visit him?
3. How does Jean describe his father's apartment?
4. How does Jean feel about the amount of prayers offered in his behalf?
5. Where do patients in the hospital get lost, and how does Jean feel when he gets lost?
6. How does Jean describe his corridor of the hospital?
7. What did Jean's feeding test show?
8. Where does Jean usually see all the other patients from his corridor, and how does he feel about those moments?
9. How does Jean communicate his fluctuating emotions?
10. How would Jean end the play he wanted to write about his hospital experience?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Friendship is a central theme of this book. What are the main friendships, and how did their inclusion in this book affect Jean's life while in the hospital?
Essay Topic 2
Literature is very important to Jean during his healing process. How does Jean use literature to help him heal, and why is it so important to him?
Essay Topic 3
What are some of the ways Jean is able to cope with his immobility, boredom, and loneliness, and what does this indicate about his personality?
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)