|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the hospital Jean is staying at?
2. What exhilarates Jean?
3. What is the only part of his body the author can move at will?
4. What shows Jean the amount of love that the world has for him?
5. What does Jean compare his life at the hospital to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is happening when Jean awakes from his coma?
2. What does Sandrine help Jean to do, and how do the other staff at the hospital respond to this?
3. What exhilarates Jean during his time at the hospital?
4. What does Jean picture the only literary figure with Locked-In syndrome to do?
5. Where has the author spent much of his last year when the book begins?
6. Where do patients in the hospital get lost, and how does Jean feel when he gets lost?
7. Where does Jean usually see all the other patients from his corridor, and how does he feel about those moments?
8. How does Jean describe his corridor of the hospital?
9. What does Jean do to sate his appetite for real food?
10. Who is the only literary figure with Locked-In syndrome?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Symbolism is a very prevalent literary device used by Jean. What are some of these symbols, and how does their presence affect the feeling of the book?
Essay Topic 2
What do you think is the main message Jean wants to send through the narration of his experience with his stroke?
Essay Topic 3
How is Jean able to communicate with others after his stroke, and how has this changed his life?
This section contains 586 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)