|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jean say he prefers to do on his own clothes?
2. Why was Eugenie interested in the hospital Jean was staying at?
3. What is Brigitte's occupation?
4. How does Jean write his book?
5. What was being done to Jean when he woke from his coma?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jean communicate, and why?
2. What major accomplishment does Jean do with Sandrine's help, and who is notified about this?
3. Who is the only literary figure with Locked-In syndrome?
4. What does a friend of Jean's do to help him when he starts missing his favorite foods?
5. How does Jean communicate his fluctuating emotions?
6. What does Brigitte do for Jean at the end of each visit?
7. What is happening when Jean awakes from his coma?
8. What does Jean imagine Eugenie doing?
9. What does Sandrine help Jean to do, and how do the other staff at the hospital respond to this?
10. What does Jean picture the only literary figure with Locked-In syndrome to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Friendship is a central theme of this book. What are the main friendships, and how did their inclusion in this book affect Jean's life while in the hospital?
Essay Topic 2
Despair is an emotion that affects a number of the people in this book. Which people are most affected by despair, and how does this change the lives of those people?
Essay Topic 3
What are some of the ways Jean is able to cope with his immobility, boredom, and loneliness, and what does this indicate about his personality?
This section contains 603 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)