|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jean describe Sandrine's job?
2. What is the name of the syndrome the author suffers after his stroke?
3. What is Brigitte's occupation?
4. What kind of place does Jean's father live in?
5. What are the people who crowd into Jean's room wearing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes Jean discomfort, and how is this discomfort relieved?
2. What does Brigitte do for Jean at the end of each visit?
3. How does Jean feel about the amount of prayers offered in his behalf?
4. What did Jean's feeding test show?
5. What does Jean picture the only literary figure with Locked-In syndrome to do?
6. What does Jean do to sate his appetite for real food?
7. How does Jean communicate, and why?
8. What does Jean dream a lot about while in the hospital?
9. What happened to Jean on December 6th?
10. Where do patients in the hospital get lost, and how does Jean feel when he gets lost?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are some of the ways Jean is able to cope with his immobility, boredom, and loneliness, and what does this indicate about his personality?
Essay Topic 2
Maturity is a theme presented in a number of places in this story, and is manifested in a number of different ways. Choose a few of these instances and compare and contrast them. How are they different in their manifestations of this sensitive theme?
Essay Topic 3
Friendship is a central theme of this book. What are the main friendships, and how did their inclusion in this book affect Jean's life while in the hospital?
This section contains 555 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)