|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jean do to signify which letter he is looking for?
2. What is the name of the hospital Jean is staying at?
3. How does Jean use the recipe his friend sends him while he is in the hospital?
4. How does Jean describe Sandrine's job?
5. What does Jean compare the patients in his corridor to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes Jean discomfort, and how is this discomfort relieved?
2. What does Sandrine help Jean to do, and how do the other staff at the hospital respond to this?
3. Why is it ironic when people try to finish Jean's sentences?
4. What did Jean's feeding test show?
5. Where do patients in the hospital get lost, and how does Jean feel when he gets lost?
6. What happened to Jean on December 6th?
7. What does a friend of Jean's do to help him when he starts missing his favorite foods?
8. Who is the only literary figure with Locked-In syndrome?
9. What does Jean prefer to wear while in the hospital and why?
10. How does Jean communicate with people who come to visit him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Symbolism is a very prevalent literary device used by Jean. What are some of these symbols, and how does their presence affect the feeling of the book?
Essay Topic 2
How is Jean able to communicate with others after his stroke, and how has this changed his life?
Essay Topic 3
Jean is forced to sacrifice much in order to live his life after his stroke. What are some of these sacrifices and how do they affect the other people around him? Are these sacrifices worth the reward? Why or why not?
This section contains 609 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)