|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the people who crowd into Jean's room wearing?
2. What month of the year did the author have his stroke?
3. What is the weather like when Jean wakes from his coma?
4. What is the name of the syndrome the author suffers after his stroke?
5. How long was the author in a coma?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jean dream a lot about while in the hospital?
2. Where do patients in the hospital get lost, and how does Jean feel when he gets lost?
3. What exhilarates Jean during his time at the hospital?
4. What does Brigitte do for Jean at the end of each visit?
5. What happened to Jean on December 6th?
6. What happens when Jean wakes up from his coma?
7. What does Jean do to sate his appetite for real food?
8. What did Jean's feeding test show?
9. Where has the author spent much of his last year when the book begins?
10. Why does Jean think he dreams about certain things repeatedly while in the hospital?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Literature is very important to Jean during his healing process. How does Jean use literature to help him heal, and why is it so important to him?
Essay Topic 2
Human nature is a strong symbol and theme in this book. Where does this symbol appear, and what role does it play in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Maturity is a theme presented in a number of places in this story, and is manifested in a number of different ways. Choose a few of these instances and compare and contrast them. How are they different in their manifestations of this sensitive theme?
This section contains 582 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)