|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jean describe what he wanted to write about his hospital experience?
2. Why does Jean think he keeps dreaming about the same things?
3. What kind of hospital is Jean staying in?
4. What is the only part of his body the author can move at will?
5. What kind of hospital was the hospital Jean is staying at when it first opened?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where has the author spent much of his last year when the book begins?
2. How does Jean think he will die?
3. What does the wax museum symbolize to Jean?
4. How does Jean wake up on his "lucky" day?
5. Who is Eugenie?
6. What exhilarates Jean during his time at the hospital?
7. What does Jean dream a lot about while in the hospital?
8. How does Jean feel about the amount of prayers offered in his behalf?
9. What happens when Jean wakes up from his coma?
10. What do Jean's efforts to keep in touch with his friends cause?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Diversity and discrimination are two major and related themes in this book. Where do these themes appear, and how do they work together to propel the plot of the book?
Essay Topic 2
Literature is very important to Jean during his healing process. How does Jean use literature to help him heal, and why is it so important to him?
Essay Topic 3
Training and education are topics of discussion in this book. Where do these topics appear in this book, and what effect do they have on the people involved in those scenes?
This section contains 1,111 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)