|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Sandrine best help Jean?
2. Where does Jean see all the people in his corridor?
3. How does Jean describe what he wanted to write about his hospital experience?
4. What does Jean compare the patients in his corridor to?
5. Why was Eugenie interested in the hospital Jean was staying at?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jean communicate with people who come to visit him?
2. What does Sandrine help Jean to do, and how do the other staff at the hospital respond to this?
3. What exhilarates Jean during his time at the hospital?
4. Who is Eugenie?
5. Why does Jean think he dreams about certain things repeatedly while in the hospital?
6. What does Jean do to sate his appetite for real food?
7. What causes Jean discomfort, and how is this discomfort relieved?
8. How does Jean communicate his fluctuating emotions?
9. How would Jean end the play he wanted to write about his hospital experience?
10. What does Brigitte do for Jean at the end of each visit?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are some of the things Jean compares the patients in his hospital to and why?
Essay Topic 2
Dealing with disabilities is an important theme in this book. How does Jean display this theme, and how does this affect the people in his family?
Essay Topic 3
What are some of the ways Jean is able to cope with his immobility, boredom, and loneliness, and what does this indicate about his personality?
This section contains 615 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)