|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jean first want to write about his time in the hospital?
2. Who is the first person Sandrine calls when Jean makes significant improvement?
3. What does Jean compare his life at the hospital to?
4. What was being done to Jean when he woke from his coma?
5. How does Jean describe Sandrine as a person?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jean communicate his fluctuating emotions?
2. What does Jean imagine Eugenie doing?
3. What does Jean picture the only literary figure with Locked-In syndrome to do?
4. Where does Jean usually see all the other patients from his corridor, and how does he feel about those moments?
5. How does Jean communicate, and why?
6. What does Jean dream a lot about while in the hospital?
7. What does Jean do to sate his appetite for real food?
8. What is happening when Jean awakes from his coma?
9. How would Jean end the play he wanted to write about his hospital experience?
10. What does Brigitte do for Jean at the end of each visit?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dealing with disabilities is an important theme in this book. How does Jean display this theme, and how does this affect the people in his family?
Essay Topic 2
What do you think is the main message Jean wants to send through the narration of his experience with his stroke?
Essay Topic 3
Literature is very important to Jean during his healing process. How does Jean use literature to help him heal, and why is it so important to him?
This section contains 622 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)