|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jean describe Sandrine as a person?
2. What does Jean say clutters his father's place?
3. How long has the author been confined to bed when the book begins?
4. Why does Jean's father not visit the hospital to see Jean?
5. How does Jean describe what he wanted to write about his hospital experience?
Short Essay Questions
1. What exhilarates Jean during his time at the hospital?
2. How does Jean think he will die?
3. What did Jean do most of the time while he was on his trip with Josephine?
4. What causes Jean discomfort, and how is this discomfort relieved?
5. What condition is Jean grateful not to have and why?
6. How does Jean feel about the amount of prayers offered in his behalf?
7. How does Jean communicate his fluctuating emotions?
8. Why does Jean feel he does not belong at the hospital?
9. What did Jean's feeding test show?
10. What is wrong with Jean's hearing?
Essay Topic 1
What significance did the title of the book have on Jean's life while he was healing?
Essay Topic 2
What are some of the ways Jean is able to cope with his immobility, boredom, and loneliness, and what does this indicate about his personality?
Essay Topic 3
What do you think is the main message Jean wants to send through the narration of his experience with his stroke?
This section contains 1,074 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)