|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jean say clutters his father's place?
2. What does Jean say is his only true form of escape?
3. How many orderlies are needed to dress Jean after his coma?
4. Where does Jean see all the people in his corridor?
5. What does Jean first want to write about his time in the hospital?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Brigitte do for Jean at the end of each visit?
2. How would Jean end the play he wanted to write about his hospital experience?
3. Why does Jean think he dreams about certain things repeatedly while in the hospital?
4. What does a friend of Jean's do to help him when he starts missing his favorite foods?
5. What major accomplishment does Jean do with Sandrine's help, and who is notified about this?
6. Where do patients in the hospital get lost, and how does Jean feel when he gets lost?
7. What exhilarates Jean during his time at the hospital?
8. How does Jean communicate his fluctuating emotions?
9. What happened to Jean on December 6th?
10. What does Jean do to sate his appetite for real food?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Maturity is a theme presented in a number of places in this story, and is manifested in a number of different ways. Choose a few of these instances and compare and contrast them. How are they different in their manifestations of this sensitive theme?
Essay Topic 2
Training and education are topics of discussion in this book. Where do these topics appear in this book, and what effect do they have on the people involved in those scenes?
Essay Topic 3
Literature is very important to Jean during his healing process. How does Jean use literature to help him heal, and why is it so important to him?
This section contains 591 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)