|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jean's daughter do every night that brings joy to his heart?
(a) Reads to him.
(b) Sings to him.
(c) Plays music for him.
(d) Prays for him.
2. Where do the nutrients given to Jean need go directly?
(a) His stomach.
(b) His throat.
(c) His intestines.
(d) His mouth.
3. What does Jean constantly dream about?
(a) An affair he had.
(b) His family a year before the stroke.
(c) His old office.
(d) The week before his stroke.
4. How does Jean feel when he gets lost in the hospital?
5. What is Sandrine's occupation?
(a) Physical rehabilitationist.
(b) Speech therapist.
(d) Massage therapist.
6. How does Jean describe what he wanted to write about his hospital experience?
7. What condition was Jean in after his coma?
(a) He was in a general stupor.
(b) He was in critical condition.
(c) He was almost totally normal for a time.
(d) He was in and out of consciousness.
8. What kind of corridor does Jean say his room is in?
(a) A hidden corner.
(b) A busy intersection.
(c) A dead end.
(d) A central hub.
9. What book holds the only literary figure with Locked-In syndrome?
(a) Great Expectations.
(b) Robin Hood.
(c) The Count of Monte Cristo.
(d) Much Ado about Nothing.
10. Why was Eugenie interested in the hospital Jean was staying at?
(a) She heard about Jean.
(b) She was the patron.
(c) She liked getting away from the hospital.
(d) She wanted to be a doctor.
11. What does Jean compare his life at the hospital to?
(a) A steam kettle.
(b) A large cauldron.
(c) A frying pan.
(d) A pressure cooker.
12. What kind of hospital is Jean staying in?
(a) A Naval hospital.
(b) An Army hospital.
(c) A children's hospital.
(d) An intensive care hospital.
13. What did Jean imagine Eugenie telling him to do?
(a) Write his story.
(b) Be patient.
(c) Stay strong.
(d) Get well.
14. How does Jean feed himself when he misses regular food?
(a) He uses his memory.
(b) He writes about food.
(c) He has visitors sneak food.
(d) He dreams about it.
15. How much weight did Jean lose in 20 weeks?
(a) 44 pounds.
(b) 66 pounds.
(c) 77 pounds.
(d) 55 pounds.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jean use the recipe his friend sends him while he is in the hospital?
2. What recipe does a friend send to Jean while he is in the hospital?
3. How does the literary figure with Locked-In syndrome get around?
4. What is Jean struggling to maintain when Sandrine starts working with him?
5. What day of the week did the author have his stroke?
This section contains 449 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)