|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was being done to Jean when he woke from his coma?
(a) His feeding tube was being changed.
(b) His family was praying for him.
(c) He was being bathed.
(d) His eye was being sewn shut.
2. What do some people do when following Jean's code that leads to bad communication?
(a) Finish sentences for him.
(b) Give up and walk away.
(c) Forget the previous letters.
(d) Rush him.
3. What recipe does a friend send to Jean while he is in the hospital?
(d) Pot Roast.
4. What showed Jean the extent of his disabilities?
(a) His inability to move.
(b) The wheelchair.
(c) The horde of doctors.
(d) The look in the nurse's eyes.
5. Who is the first person Sandrine calls when Jean makes significant improvement?
(a) Jean's daughter.
(b) Jean's mother.
(c) Jean's sister.
(d) Jean's father.
6. Where does Jean say he will never leave?
(a) His body.
(b) His wheelchair.
(c) The hospital.
(d) Room 119.
7. Why does Jean think he keeps dreaming about the same things?
(a) His coma locked them in.
(b) He remembers little else.
(c) He wonders if he could have changed things.
(d) He is dperessed.
8. What exhilarates Jean?
(a) Seeing people go home.
(b) Getting new nurses.
(c) Having visitors.
(d) A change in routine.
9. What kind of hospital was the hospital Jean is staying at when it first opened?
(a) A children's hospital.
(b) An Army hospital.
(c) A Naval hospital.
(d) An intensive care hospital.
10. Where does Jean see all the people in his corridor?
(a) The hallway.
(b) The rehabilitation room.
(c) The gardens.
(d) The caffeteria.
11. What does Jean think when he is put in a wheel chair?
(a) His life will never be the same.
(b) There is hope after all.
(c) He is glad to be alive.
(d) This is his death sentence.
12. How does Jean write his book?
(a) He records it verbally.
(b) He writes it with a pen.
(c) He types it.
(d) He dictates it.
13. What is the name of the hospital Jean is staying at?
14. How does the literary figure with Locked-In syndrome get around?
(a) He has a wheelchair.
(b) He goes nowhere.
(c) He crawls.
(d) Servants carry him.
15. Where does Jean feel the most trapped?
(a) The hospital.
(b) The bed.
(c) His body.
(d) His room.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Brigitte's occupation?
2. How does Jean describe Sandrine's job?
3. Why was something being done to Jean when he woke from his coma?
4. What calms Jean down the most?
5. What does Jean's daughter do every night that brings joy to his heart?
This section contains 435 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)