|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What ability does Jean have that most people with his condition do not?
(a) He can swivel his head.
(b) He can swallow.
(c) He can tap his toe.
(d) He can blink his eyes.
2. What is the name of the hospital Jean is staying at?
3. Where does Jean say he will never leave?
(a) His body.
(b) The hospital.
(c) His wheelchair.
(d) Room 119.
4. What is the name of Jean's daughter?
5. How does Jean feed himself when he misses regular food?
(a) He dreams about it.
(b) He writes about food.
(c) He uses his memory.
(d) He has visitors sneak food.
6. What is Jean's room number?
7. What is the first thing Jean learns to say after his stroke?
(a) His daughter's name.
(b) A recipe.
(c) A song.
(d) The alphabet.
8. How did Sandrine best help Jean?
(a) She helped him find a way to escape.
(b) She helps him be able to move his mouth.
(c) She creates a letter chain for him.
(d) She made the blinking code.
9. How does Jean write his book?
(a) He records it verbally.
(b) He dictates it.
(c) He types it.
(d) He writes it with a pen.
10. What homage to Eugenie was placed at the hospital that Jean is staying at?
(a) A painting.
(b) A stained glass window.
(c) A mural.
(d) A statue.
11. Why was something being done to Jean when he woke from his coma?
(a) They heard he was going to die.
(b) He was bathed every day.
(c) To prevent eye damage.
(d) His larynx collapsed the first tube.
12. What day of the week did the author have his stroke?
13. What kind of hospital was the hospital Jean is staying at when it first opened?
(a) An intensive care hospital.
(b) A children's hospital.
(c) An Army hospital.
(d) A Naval hospital.
14. How does Jean describe Sandrine's job?
15. What kind of corridor does Jean say his room is in?
(a) A dead end.
(b) A busy intersection.
(c) A hidden corner.
(d) A central hub.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of hospital is Jean staying in?
2. What two words does Jean use to describe the times when all the patients from his corridor are together?
3. What do some people do when following Jean's code that leads to bad communication?
4. What is Sandrine's occupation?
5. What does Jean first want to write about his time in the hospital?
This section contains 431 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)